LTH Home

Searching for REAL Fanta

Searching for REAL Fanta
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Searching for REAL Fanta

Post #1 - October 10th, 2006, 10:21 am
    Post #1 - October 10th, 2006, 10:21 am Post #1 - October 10th, 2006, 10:21 am
    When I was a kid, I had the opportunity to live in Germany for a couple of years. My parents took us to several Oktoberfests, where I always had an orange Fanta drink.

I was happy to see Fanta on the shelves in the U.S. starting a few years ago, but it didn't taste the same.

I thought it was just me, though, until my BIL who travels a lot affirmed that it is not the same.

So does anyone know if/where Fanta is imported in Chicago?
  • Post #2 - October 10th, 2006, 10:23 am
    Post #2 - October 10th, 2006, 10:23 am Post #2 - October 10th, 2006, 10:23 am
    I'm not sure if Fanta is specifically mentioned or not, but this foreign soda thread might be a good place to look for leads or post your enquiry.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - October 10th, 2006, 10:31 am
    Post #3 - October 10th, 2006, 10:31 am Post #3 - October 10th, 2006, 10:31 am
    Saint Pizza wrote:When I was a kid, I had the opportunity to live in Germany for a couple of years. My parents took us to several Oktoberfests, where I always had an orange Fanta drink.

I was happy to see Fanta on the shelves in the U.S. starting a few years ago, but it didn't taste the same.

I thought it was just me, though, until my BIL who travels a lot affirmed that it is not the same.

So does anyone know if/where Fanta is imported in Chicago?

Oh! German Fanta is sooooooo much better.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #4 - October 10th, 2006, 2:18 pm
    Post #4 - October 10th, 2006, 2:18 pm Post #4 - October 10th, 2006, 2:18 pm
    I think you can blame the high fructose corn syrup. I think REAL Fanta uses sugar for sweetening. Maybe try some Mexican Jarritos, it might be close.
  • Post #5 - October 29th, 2006, 8:31 pm
    Post #5 - October 29th, 2006, 8:31 pm Post #5 - October 29th, 2006, 8:31 pm
    Have you tried Fanta imported from Poland? Several flavors in 2 liter bottles are available at Polish markets including Bobak's. I haven't tried it so can't say how it compares to other versions.
  • Post #6 - October 31st, 2006, 9:24 pm
    Post #6 - October 31st, 2006, 9:24 pm Post #6 - October 31st, 2006, 9:24 pm
    The cost may be prohibitive but if you really need your authentic German Fanta...

http://www.eurofoodmart.net/ProductDeta ... B&CartID=9
  • Post #7 - October 31st, 2006, 10:00 pm
    Post #7 - October 31st, 2006, 10:00 pm Post #7 - October 31st, 2006, 10:00 pm
    MKHesq wrote:The cost may be prohibitive but if you really need your authentic German Fanta...

http://www.eurofoodmart.net/ProductDeta ... B&CartID=9

A dollar-twenty-nine for 0.33L of soda (nearly a 12-ounce can)? Nice. What caught my eye in the Related Products listings, however, was the 2L Fanta Orange Soda Soft Drink for $3.99. Whoo-hoo! :D

http://www.eurofoodmart.net/Fanta_Orang ... /bsd03.htm

Twice as much for almost the same price when compared to three cans. Can't wait for the right sale to come along. ;) Edit: that "Product of Macedonia" description might make this not as great of a deal, though. Oh, pooh...

It's all about value,
    Dan
  • Post #8 - August 24th, 2020, 6:22 pm
    Post #8 - August 24th, 2020, 6:22 pm Post #8 - August 24th, 2020, 6:22 pm
    How Fanta Was Created for Nazi Germany
    The soda was made from apple fibers and a cheese by-product.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/f ... ilto_share
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #9 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:54 pm
    Post #9 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:54 pm Post #9 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:54 pm
    Does anybody remember Nedlog drinks? They were a non-carbonated fruit-flavored drink sold mostly at small hot dog stands and corner stores in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

I remember going to Nick's Hot Dog's on Belmont just east of LaVergne as a 5 year old with my parents. Nick's at that time was in little trailer by the sidewalk in front of his house which was on the back portion of the lot.
    He served Slotkowski weiners with hand cut fries piled high on top of the dog for the royal sum of 25 cents each, 12oz. Nedlogs were I believe 11cents per bottle. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
    Oh how I long for those good old days!
    His brother Jimmy had a trailer right by the corner of Belmont and Kilbourn a short ways from the the old Powerhouse Candy bar factory.
  • Post #10 - September 4th, 2020, 4:59 am
    Post #10 - September 4th, 2020, 4:59 am Post #10 - September 4th, 2020, 4:59 am
    Dave148 wrote:How Fanta Was Created for Nazi Germany
    The soda was made from apple fibers and a cheese by-product.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/f ... ilto_share

This was a fascinating read! Thank you for the link!

Does anyone know if the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta addresses any of this history? I was there about thirty years ago and mostly just remember a room of self-serve fountain drinks from around the world
  • Post #11 - September 4th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Post #11 - September 4th, 2020, 7:07 pm Post #11 - September 4th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Brushman4 wrote: Does anybody remember Nedlog drinks? They were a non-carbonated fruit-flavored drink sold mostly at small hot dog stands and corner stores in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.
    It was chocolately. A painted ad for it was on the exterior of a building in the 2800 W. block of Belmont Ave. (across the avenue from what is now Kuma's Corner - the address itself is now upscale condos)
    Brushman4 wrote: I remember going to Nick's Hot Dog's on Belmont just east of LaVergne as a 5 year old with my parents. Nick's at that time was in a little trailer by the sidewalk in front of his house which was on the back portion of the lot.
    He served Slotkowski weiners with hand cut fries piled high on top of the dog for the royal sum of 25¢ each, 12-oz. Nedlogs were, I believe, 11¢ per bottle. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
    Oh how I long for those good old days!
    It was staggering distance from the abode here. I definitely ate there a few times. It did survive to the days when WXRT | WSBC built the {now vacant} edifice across Belmont Ave. I guess the deejays there did not eat enough hot dogs. :(
    Brushman4 wrote:His brother Jimmy had a trailer right by the corner of Belmont and Kilbourn, a short ways from the the old Powerhouse Candy bar factory.
    That trailer seemed to be on the brink of reopening before the COVID-19 pandemic barraged in. It still exists on the northeast corner of Belmont and Kilbourn. There is a new neon-ish sign sitting on the ground there to its north.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #12 - September 4th, 2020, 8:26 pm
    Post #12 - September 4th, 2020, 8:26 pm Post #12 - September 4th, 2020, 8:26 pm
    pudgym29 wrote:
    Brushman4 wrote: Does anybody remember Nedlog drinks? They were a non-carbonated fruit-flavored drink sold mostly at small hot dog stands and corner stores in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.
    It was chocolately.

No, it was orange but they had other flavors, mostly fruit, too . . .

Vintage Nedlog Advertisement

They were served from machines that looked like this . . .

Self-Agitating Beverage Dispenser

The company was, for many years, located in Wheeling, IL and got its name from its owners, the Golden family. Yes, golden spelled backwards is Nedlog.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #13 - September 5th, 2020, 10:28 am
    Post #13 - September 5th, 2020, 10:28 am Post #13 - September 5th, 2020, 10:28 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    pudgym29 wrote:
    It was chocolately.

No, it was orange but they had other flavors, mostly fruit, too . . .

Vintage Nedlog Advertisement

They were served from machines that looked like this . . .

Self-Agitating Beverage Dispenser

The company was, for many years, located in Wheeling, IL and got its name from its owners, the Golden family. Yes, golden spelled backwards is Nedlog.

=R=

I remember the machines but they also had bottles. The bottles are what Nick and other hot dog joints served. The flavors I liked most were the orange and lime. I think they also had strawberry.
  • Post #14 - September 7th, 2020, 11:55 am
    Post #14 - September 7th, 2020, 11:55 am Post #14 - September 7th, 2020, 11:55 am
    HarvesTime (2632 W. Lawrence Ave, Chicago) had four versions of orange Fanta, in different sized bottles/cans. Three were with high fructose corn syrup, and one bottle of Mexican Fanta with cane sugar. Two of us did an obviously unscientific taste comparison between this Mexican bottle and a standard can, blind tasting for him, not for me. We both preferred the flavor of the Mexican bottle and what appeared to be a little less carbonation
  • Post #15 - September 7th, 2020, 5:21 pm
    Post #15 - September 7th, 2020, 5:21 pm Post #15 - September 7th, 2020, 5:21 pm
    My favorite Fanta was in Europe, which happens to be one of the top selling European soft drinks. Its nothing like the American or Mexican Fanta. It's a light orange with pieces of orange rind and in a fairly small bottle.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide