LTH Home

Bells is coming back to Illinois

Bells is coming back to Illinois
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - November 25th, 2007, 8:57 am
    Post #31 - November 25th, 2007, 8:57 am Post #31 - November 25th, 2007, 8:57 am
    djenks wrote:On top of the fact that the distribution laws make it so it's really hard for local breweries to distribute product.

Illinois' distribution laws for getting local product distributed are no harder than any other state, the three tier system is national. There is not more local product distributed because there isn't that much more local product being produced. But in the end I think Chicago has a good beer scene, not the best, but is improving all the time.
  • Post #32 - November 25th, 2007, 6:11 pm
    Post #32 - November 25th, 2007, 6:11 pm Post #32 - November 25th, 2007, 6:11 pm
    louisdog wrote:Illinois' distribution laws for getting local product distributed are no harder than any other state, the three tier system is national. There is not more local product distributed because there isn't that much more local product being produced. But in the end I think Chicago has a good beer scene, not the best, but is improving all the time.
    I am not sure that is correct. I think the opposite is true. More local product is not being produced because local product is not being distributed. Michigan allows self-distribution by low capacity brewers. As a result, there are dozens of craft brewers operating in Michigan compared to a handful in Illinois. The problem with Illinois is that you cannot sell beer without a distributor, and no distributor is going to distribute a beer that has no established market. That is why Goose Island first started out as a brewpub, and Two Brothers created Windy City distribution as a separate entity. If Illinois wants to encourage the rebirth of regional breweries, we need to exempt smaller brewers from the "Fair" Beer Distribution Act. Besides, the megabrew conglomerates have successfully found ways around most of the law. They engage in much of the same type of behavior that the law was meant to prevent. I understand that the law was enacted after prohibition to limit mob influence over the market, but I hardly see the likes of Larry Bell, the Ebel Brothers or Nick Floyd strong-arming stores and taverns into selling their beer (well maybe Nick :wink: ).

At the turn of the 20th century, there were 60 operating breweries in the city of Chicago. 40 of them had annual capacities of 75,000 barrels or more. Several of them had capacities of over a half million barrels per year. In 1899, Chicago breweries sold an astonishing 3.2 million barrels of beer (almost 100 million gallons!). After prohibition, the Chicago brewing industry never recovered (unless you count Peter Hand). The brewing capital of the Midwest moved to Wisconsin. I don't know if that had anything to do with the Illinois distribution law, but something discouraged breweries from re-opening in Chicago.
  • Post #33 - November 26th, 2007, 12:06 am
    Post #33 - November 26th, 2007, 12:06 am Post #33 - November 26th, 2007, 12:06 am
    Yeah, the loop hole is the brewpub concept - which is why GI started out the way they did and many other places also have a menu/restaurant.

Otherwise, it's illegal to distribute your own product - which is BS and has a terrible effect on the small breweries (or brewery-to-be's) in Chicago.
  • Post #34 - November 26th, 2007, 10:01 am
    Post #34 - November 26th, 2007, 10:01 am Post #34 - November 26th, 2007, 10:01 am
    Is it a tragedy that there isn't more beer being produced in the immediate area? Maybe, maybe not -- just because Honker's Ale is produced a couple of miles from where I live doesn't make it any better. Of course it would be more fun if there were more options, but Chicago isn't exactly hurting for good beer.

I'd also like to point out that Small Bar (both locations) have excellent beer selections (and a pretty good burger, too), as does Jerry's in Wicker Park. As I recall, Small Bar on Division got one of the few kegs of FFF's Dark Lord Stout last year.

Furthermore, for all the talk of FFF, Goose Island and Bell's, what about Sprecher's, Founder's, New Holland and Great Lakes? I consider them "local" -- or, all right, maybe they're just regional, but still -- and they produce some really, really good beer, too. Hell, I'd take the Mad Hatter IPA over GI's IPA or even their Imperial IPA. It would be nice to see, too, New Glarus get distribution in this city, too, but I'll wait for the new Kalamazoo label to succeed before thinking that far ahead.
  • Post #35 - November 26th, 2007, 12:47 pm
    Post #35 - November 26th, 2007, 12:47 pm Post #35 - November 26th, 2007, 12:47 pm
    danimalarkey wrote: I consider them "local" -- or, all right, maybe they're just regional, but still -- and they produce some really, really good beer, too.

You'll get no argument from me. I'm especially with you on the Founders.
  • Post #36 - November 26th, 2007, 1:00 pm
    Post #36 - November 26th, 2007, 1:00 pm Post #36 - November 26th, 2007, 1:00 pm
    It would be nice to see, too, New Glarus get distribution in this city, too, but I'll wait for the new Kalamazoo label to succeed before thinking that far ahead.

New Glarus used to be in the Chicago market, but pulled out for very similar reasons as Bell's (but with less fireworks).

I think we are dealing with two different issues that are getting conflated:

1) The general availability of beers from any part of the U.S./world in Chicago/Illinois.

2) The amount/variety of beer that is produced in Illinois proper.

To the first issue, I agree we have access to a wide variety of very good beers that are brewed in the midwest and beyond. And it should be noted that in the past year or so, many great breweries - New Belgium, Brooklyn, Surly - have entered the Chicago market. That being said, there are beers we do not get - such as Bell's - because of the laws in place. As a beer lover, I find that very unfortunate. If a brewery choses not to distribute in Illinois for any number of reasons (brewery capacity, quality control issues, etc.), I completely respect that. But if they would enter the Illinois market but for our distribution laws, that makes me sad.

To the second issue, a legal environment that encourages the creation of small businesses - breweries - is a good thing. If we have regulations on the books that discourage the creation of breweries (regulations that have nothing to do with health and safety issues), that is a bad thing. I want more breweries. I want a culture that fosters experimentation and expansion. A ciritcal mass of brewers does that. (This, of course, is not meant to take away from the great brews coming out of Two Brothers, Goose Island, etc. Nor is it to say that the 'brewing community' is defined by state lines.)

P.S. Earlier in this thread, I referenced going to Wisconsin to get a keglet of Two Hearted. I am sorry to say that I could find no Two Hearted keglets. But I did find many six packs of Two Hearted, as well as the Bell's Batch 8000, a single-run high octaine Wit. Very good stuff.
  • Post #37 - November 26th, 2007, 9:14 pm
    Post #37 - November 26th, 2007, 9:14 pm Post #37 - November 26th, 2007, 9:14 pm
    i write this from Portland, OR, as fine a beer city as you'll ever find. What is so unique about Portland, Seattle, SF, SD, Michigan and parts in New England is not just that they have good beer, but they support local beer. I sit at the Kennedy School, enjoying a Hammerhead. Is it the very best beer in Portland? far from it. I can walk a block to the Concordia Ale house and enjoy a dozen, maybe 2 dozen ales from all sorts of award winning local brewers. will they have a california beer on tap too? yes, and some from washington, alaska and points further. but the vast majority of taps are local, as they are EVERYWHERE in portland. let me ask you, gentle drinker, if you had a pocket full of money and wanted to open a brewery, where or where would it be? certainly not in Chicago, where the cost is high, the laws are difficult and while many of your neighbors offer their support, most do not. the drinkers drink imports, whether from a state away or the other side of the world. speaking of which, i just returned from belgium where, shockingly, they drink local beer. not just national beer, but local beer. flemish beer in flanders, waloonian beers in the south. the very best of the beer bars in portland, san fran and brux offer the very best local beers above all others. sadly, in chicago some of the most highly regarded do not. i've drank beer all over the world and we are nearly alone in this sentiment. so next time you decide to complain that your wonderful city lacks a diversity of beers and brewers, look in your fridge, look at the pint in front of you, are you giving anyone a reason to brew local?
  • Post #38 - November 27th, 2007, 11:04 pm
    Post #38 - November 27th, 2007, 11:04 pm Post #38 - November 27th, 2007, 11:04 pm
    and another thing, with all due respect to everyones individual tastes, I think brewers have the most credibility when judging beer, especially when tasting blind. chicago has more than it's share of medal winners at both the great american beer festival and the world beer cup. flossmoor, piece and goose win multiple medals every year. 2bros won a medal this year. i think its great that beer drinkers get to submit their ratings on ba and rb, but they don't taste blind. when beers win at gabf, (see the 2007 winners, including 4 medals for goose island http://www.beertown.com/events/gabf/index.htm) the are tasted blind by brewers and beer writers and illinois brewers win more than michigan brewers every year. we should all be proud of our local beers. as far as the rest of the beer scene, while our pubs don't do a great job supporting all the local beers, they do offer a ridiculous range of beers from everywhere. hopleaf might be the best belgian beer bar outside of belgium, it puts monk's in philly to absolute shame. food is better too. resi's and others offer more german draft than anywhere outside of germany, thanks to glunz dist. we get a lot of beers from both east and west and we don't have bells because larry pulled out. he was not forced to leave, he choose to leave because he did not like his distributor. many other brewers don't love their situation, but do love their loyal drinkers enough to continue to supply beer to the market. i like bells beers, especially two hearted, and drink them when i can. i hope they come back, but i'm not going to hold my breath. if they do come back under a different name, you can bet they won't "create" new beers, they will simply relable the old favs. you don't have to be too clever to figure out what they are. well after a week in portland, i can't wait to get back to chicago and drink some great local beer! cheers
  • Post #39 - November 27th, 2007, 11:27 pm
    Post #39 - November 27th, 2007, 11:27 pm Post #39 - November 27th, 2007, 11:27 pm
    bitter wrote: when beers win at gabf, (see the 2007 winners, including 4 medals for goose island http://www.beertown.com/events/gabf/index.htm) the are tasted blind by brewers and beer writers and illinois brewers win more than michigan brewers every year. we should all be proud of our local beers.

Yeah, but come on. There were 225 medals awarded this year and 473 breweries in the competition. It's not that it's not great to get an award, but Pabst also got 4 and Miller got 7. Looks like the region is doing very well if you want American-style light lagers.

Out of curiosity, does anyone active in this thread work in the industry? I'd be interested to hear their affiliations and thoughts.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #40 - November 28th, 2007, 11:32 am
    Post #40 - November 28th, 2007, 11:32 am Post #40 - November 28th, 2007, 11:32 am
    I guess you can say I live in the belief that we have a great beer city.

For starters, don't we have the nation’s best (?) brewing school located in Goose Island: The Siebel Institute of Technology?

And sure not every Goose Island beer is a favorite of mine, but that is more due to preference than quality. Their IPA is one of my favorites of the class, and their Reserves rank up as some of the best beers I have had. I could only drink Demolition and Matilda the rest of my life and be happy.

Sure we don't have a brewpub on every corner, but what we do have is excellent. I can't imagine it being easy and affordable to acquire the space required to run a brewery in the city proper, so I imagine that is a major part of why.

I often wonder if people take for granted what we have. Like in most things in life, what you can't easily get is considered better, so breweries that do not distribute here are put on a pedestal. Sure I love Two Hearted, but I also tried to gag down a Cherry Stout and failed. Worst beer that has ever touched my lips, well 2nd worst, worst will forever remain Golden Eagle Lager.

New Belgium used to be on this pedestal, until Fat Tire crossed the Mississippi and everyone changed their tune, realizing that beer is crap (yes they make great beers as well). Before that I'd guarantee if you ask 10 beer lovers to name their top 10, Fat Tire would fall in the majority of those lists.

Just take a look at the Goose Island Clybourn brewpub beer list right now, and tell me another place, in another city, that I can go and find better beers?? I know where I will be this eve...

Jamie

Honker's Ale 4.3% ABV
    BRONZE MEDAL WINNER 2006 WORLD BEER CUP! Goose Island’s classic Honker's Ale is a subtle and elegant American Pale Ale in the English style. Beautiful honey amber hue with a pronounced hop aroma perfectly balancing a medium malt body and a dry hop finish. Food pairing suggestion: Buffalo Burger and BBQ Pork Sandwich.

312 Urban Wheat Ale 4.2% ABV
    “312” is a crisp and refreshing unfiltered wheat ale with hazy straw color. The light floral hop nose is followed by a vibrant, fruity ale flavor. A blend of pale barley malt and torrified American wheat yield a smooth body, clean malt character, and crisp finish. Food pairing suggestion: Caesar Salad and Shrimp Martini.

Blueberry Ale 4.8% ABV
    A fruit twist on our golden ale. We took our Golden Ale and aged it with real blueberries, not any artificial sweeteners. Served in a Pint glass for $5.00.

Schwarzbier 4.8% ABV
    Our German-style Black Lager is medium-bodied with nice roasted malt flavor and low to medium hop character. Weyermann Carafa malt gives the beer it’s opal color without malt astringency and a long maturation period also helps make this brew very smooth and easily drinkable. Served in a Stein for $5.00.

XXX Porter 5.6% ABV
    Our hoppiest porter is almost roasty enough to be a stout. Hopped exclusively with Centennial hops for a spicy aroma and a long dry finish. Brewed with pale malt, black barley for color and lots of wheat malt for a creamy head. Served in a Pint glass for $5.00.

Reserve Matilda 7.0% ABV
    Gold Medal winner 2005 Great American Beer Festival Silver Medal winner 2006 World Beer Cup Brewed with Pilsner, Munich and a touch of Crystal malt, this Belgian strong ale is a golden hoppy delight. What makes it special is the yeast strain used in this brew: it produces a mellow tartness to complement the complex malt character. Styrian Golding and an abundance of Saaz hops add to the crisp flavor. Served in a Reserve glass.

Autumn Ale 6.0% ABV
    To celebrate the harvest season and the approach of the cold weather, we serve a soothing glass of this Belgian-style ale reminiscent of autumnal hues. A blend of barley, oats, wheat, rice, corn and rye malts give us a full-bodied brew with a complex malt flavor while the Belgian Saison yeast imparts a fruity/spicy complexity. Served in a Tulip glass for $6.00.

India Pale Ale 5.9% ABV
    Celebrated as the very best if its kind, our India Pale Ale recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India in the 18th Century were highly hopped to survive the long journey. Truly a hop lover's dream, this honey golden classic starts with a soaring tropical fruit aroma set off by a tart toasted malt middle with dried fruit undertones followed by a long, palate-cleansing, earthy hop finish. India Pale Ale holds its own with our Cajun and Asian inspired dishes: Jambalaya and Blackened Catfish Po’boy. Served in a Pint glass.

Harvest Ale 5.7% ABV
    Our latest creation is brewed in the style of a traditional American Extra Special Bitter (ESB). As Summertime fades, the sun shines less bright, and evening comes a little sooner. Harvest time arrives – it’s a time to reap the benefits of a great Summer. Fresh picked cascade hops from Washington and the richest Midwestern malts makes Goose Island Harvest Ale an extra special beer worthy of your devotion.

Dunkelweizenbock 8.0% ABV
    Each Fall we brew a strong, dark Bavarian style wheat beer. It has a fragrant malt nose with notes of alcohol and an assertive banana ester fruitiness. Intense raisiny caramel sweet malt character greets the tongue while the fruity esters shine through mid-palate. It finishes slightly tart with lingering alcohol warmth, which has been mellowed by a lengthy maturation (2 months) period. Served in a goblet for $7.00.

Old Aberration Barley Wine 10.2% ABV
    Affectionately known as Old Abe, our original barley wine is an example of the brewer’s art taken to the extreme. In early March we brew a thickly sweet and sumptuously hoppy wort that evolves into one of the strongest beers that we make here at the brewpub. It starts with a huge fruity malt / hop nose then carries through to a full-bodied biscuity, toffee-like sweetness on the palate. It has a good hop balance and a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish. Served in a snifter.

Reserve Imperial I.P.A. 9.0% ABV
    At Goose Island, we live and die by hops. With our Imperial IPA, we pushed the hop limit to the extreme. We took three of our favorite hops, Tettnang, Simcoe and Cascade and balanced their spiciness with tons of malt… then we added more hops and more malt until this beer was exploding with citrus aromas and flavors… you’ll smell the hops from a yard away. What will surprise you is how drinkable it is. Served in a Tulip for $10.00.

Bourbon Imperial Brown Goose 11.0% ABV
    This special ale was first brewed to commemorate batch #1800 here at the original Goose Island Brewery. This brew is based on our American Brown Ale, Naughty Goose, but with 60% more malt and twice the hops. This version was aged in Jim Beam Barrels for three months. Served in a Snifter for $9.00.

Nut Brown Ale 4.5% ABV
    A deep chestnut-hued light-bodied ale of unusual complexity with a hint of sweetness. A nose of earthy hops and roasted grains continues to a subtle malty middle with notes of chocolate, honey, and fine tobacco leading to a satisfying "nutty" finish. Pairs well with the BBQ pork sandwich. Served in a Pint glass.

Reserve Pere Jacques 9.0% ABV
    Pere Jacques is a dark, sweet Belgian-style ale. Brewed with 100% Belgian yeast, Pere Jacques’ flavor is highly influenced by the beer’s esters – which impart notes of banana and dried stone fruit. Esters, which are byproducts of yeast, are volatile flavor compounds that often do not survive the brewing process. By fermenting the beer slowly, and at a higher temperature, Goose Island’s brewers ensure that these delicate esters make their way into the bottle. Pere Jacques is brewed with a blend of American and Belgian malts, and Saaz hops - a traditional choice of Belgian brewers. Served in a Reserve glass.
  • Post #41 - November 28th, 2007, 6:22 pm
    Post #41 - November 28th, 2007, 6:22 pm Post #41 - November 28th, 2007, 6:22 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote:I guess you can say I live in the belief that we have a great beer city.

I often wonder if people take for granted what we have. Like in most things in life, what you can't easily get is considered better, so breweries that do not distribute here are put on a pedestal.

New Belgium used to be on this pedestal, until Fat Tire crossed the Mississippi and everyone changed their tune, realizing that beer is crap (yes they make great beers as well). Before that I'd guarantee if you ask 10 beer lovers to name their top 10, Fat Tire would fall in the majority of those lists.

Well, while one of the most overrated beers of all time, Fat Tire certainly is not crap. No beer drinker I've met thinks this at all. i know many serious beer drinkers, home brewers and a graduate of Siebel Institute that wouldn't have put it in their top ten before it came here. Thats just a weird statement that kinda just came out of the blue.

I just have to say that i'm actually really happy that you believe Chicago is a great beer city. It's not, but life is built around personal perception.

Unfortunately, besides a couple of breweries mentioned in this thread - Chicagoans are forced to drive out of town - to the suburbs *shudder* or to Indiana, Michigan or Wisconsin. The Midwest brews some great beers - i give credit to this region of the U.S. But, tell me where, within chicago, you can belly up to a bar and drink beers made, literally, in the establishment that you're sitting in? Goose Island?

Jamieson22 - be honest - how many microbreweries have you sat down at and drank beer? I know GI is the best place in chicago to sit down and drink brews made in house because it's really the only place you can do this in chicago and get decent beer. But, just because it's the only one doesn't mean that it's great. Other micro brewery experiences will make one realize this very quickly.

Like it's said earlier in this thread - the access to good beer in chicago is where it needs to be and is getting better.

But the amount of beer produced in chicago and the beer that this city can truly claim is definitely NOT where it needs to be and is NOT getting better.
  • Post #42 - November 28th, 2007, 8:05 pm
    Post #42 - November 28th, 2007, 8:05 pm Post #42 - November 28th, 2007, 8:05 pm
    djenks wrote: But, tell me where, within chicago, you can belly up to a bar and drink beers made, literally, in the establishment that you're sitting in? Goose Island?...
    ...I know GI is the best place in chicago to sit down and drink brews made in house because it's really the only place you can do this in chicago and get decent beer.

Rock Bottom has decent beer, and even some fairly good beers in their high-end seasonal stuff. Piece also brews some good beers. I realize that doesn't exactly make the city brewpub central but GI isn't the only place putting out a drinkable product.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #43 - November 28th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    Post #43 - November 28th, 2007, 10:54 pm Post #43 - November 28th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    JimTheBeerGuy wrote:
    djenks wrote: But, tell me where, within chicago, you can belly up to a bar and drink beers made, literally, in the establishment that you're sitting in? Goose Island?...
    ...I know GI is the best place in chicago to sit down and drink brews made in house because it's really the only place you can do this in chicago and get decent beer.

Rock Bottom has decent beer, and even some fairly good beers in their high-end seasonal stuff. Piece also brews some good beers. I realize that doesn't exactly make the city brewpub central but GI isn't the only place putting out a drinkable product.

Darn. You stole both my answers. Rock Bottom's Chicago operation, in particular, is surprisingly good. I would not have expected a chain to brew such good beer, and it seems whoever the brewmaster is at the State and Grand location, they know what they're doing. Their basic brews are a little above average, but their specialty stuff can be amazing. It looks like Rock Bottom gives all their outposts a great deal of leeway in crafting their own beers. Good for them.
  • Post #44 - November 29th, 2007, 1:34 am
    Post #44 - November 29th, 2007, 1:34 am Post #44 - November 29th, 2007, 1:34 am
    Rock Bottom and other area brewpubs were discussed previously here.
  • Post #45 - November 29th, 2007, 8:12 am
    Post #45 - November 29th, 2007, 8:12 am Post #45 - November 29th, 2007, 8:12 am
    gleam wrote: Out of curiosity, does anyone active in this thread work in the industry? I'd be interested to hear their affiliations and thoughts.

In the brewing part of the industry, not me..but I do work for a beer distributor. I would be all for more brewery's in the city and I know of at least two that are in the planning stages, so maybe things are on the upswing. I think people would support them if there more breweries, it becomes a snowball effect. All of those breweries in Portland didn't open up at once, it is slow build.
  • Post #46 - November 29th, 2007, 9:20 am
    Post #46 - November 29th, 2007, 9:20 am Post #46 - November 29th, 2007, 9:20 am
    djenks, your posts in this thread reek of an elitist snobbish disposition which is almost as galling as your apparent lack of appreciation for the great beers produced in Chicago at Rock Bottom, where some of the best barrel aged beers in the country are produced, and at Piece, which is expanding its brewing capacity and consistenly produces good to great beers.

So yes the brewpubs are limited in Chicago if one is so insular as to actually *shudder* at the thought of riding a train or driving a car to Flossmoor Station a place that has been recognized not only as the best small brewpub in the nation but has also received recognition for countless of the beers it produces, or anywhere else in the suburbs. Emmett's, Two Brothers, Lunar, America's Brewpub, are among others making good beer.

Beer is not better because it is brewed next door to you. I'd love to see more brewpubs in Chicago and am aware of at least one that plans to open soon. Regardless I'd rather belly up to the bar at the Maproom, Hopleaf, or orther great beer bar and try great fresh beers from all over the country and world than visit 5 Portland brewpubs all rehashing the same PNW IPA. I'll take quality over quantity any day and if you can't find and drink quality beer in Chicago, produced here or otherwise the problem is yours. To describe Chicago's beer scene as pathetic is, in my opinion, pathetic.
  • Post #47 - November 29th, 2007, 11:05 am
    Post #47 - November 29th, 2007, 11:05 am Post #47 - November 29th, 2007, 11:05 am
    KSeecs wrote:Beer is not better because it is brewed next door to you.

I really could not agree more. Unless, living as I do in Chicago, I have missed out on the euphoric, transformative experience of drinking beer within sight of the equipment in which it was brewed, I do not see the lack of brewpubs within the city limits as anything other than a general shame (and don't bring up the localvore movement). It hardly means that it is difficult to get good, interesting beer in this city.

Speaking of Piece, they currently have an Imperial Red (Amarillo Brillo) as well as a dark Bavarian wheat beer that are both excellent.

As a friend of mine pointed out to me, consider how close Milwaukee and St. Louis are to Chicago, and remember which brewing giants are centered there. Chicago has traditionally been in the thrall of the combined might of Anheuser-Busch and Miller. As a city, we're moving beyond Bud and Miller Lite, but it's going to take time. In the meantime, I'll be at the Hopleaf.
  • Post #48 - November 29th, 2007, 11:10 am
    Post #48 - November 29th, 2007, 11:10 am Post #48 - November 29th, 2007, 11:10 am
    Jamieson22 wrote:For starters, don't we have the nation’s best (?) brewing school located in Goose Island: The Siebel Institute of Technology?

I don't know much about beer, but here's some semi-interesting trivia: My company's office is located in the former Siebel Institute headquarters. I understand from some neighborhood old timers who have visited that my office is actually the site of the former tap room.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #49 - November 29th, 2007, 11:38 am
    Post #49 - November 29th, 2007, 11:38 am Post #49 - November 29th, 2007, 11:38 am
    Are there really very many brew pubs in dense, hight-rent cities? This ain't Portland, and neither is NYC, LA or SF. I've never paid much attention, but I don't think I've noticed many brew pubs in those towns. On the other hand, medium and small cities tend to have a higher per-capita number of such places. They usually anchor an abandoned main street or "warehouse district" type neighborhood where the local gentry are building condos and trying to do what the places listed above never stopped doing. None of this is meant to knock the brew-pub. Far from it. If not for local brew pubs, I would have to eat and drink at Chili's or Applebee's when visiting places diverse as Riverside and Palo Alto, CA, or Birmingham AL. As far as the beer goes, it does seem that our local/regional choices are particularly strong by just about any criteria (except maybe numbers of brewers).

Also, if my pork, veggies and berries are "local" because they come from the south exurbs, SW MI, NW IN, and WI, certainly my beer is.
  • Post #50 - November 29th, 2007, 12:33 pm
    Post #50 - November 29th, 2007, 12:33 pm Post #50 - November 29th, 2007, 12:33 pm
    KSeecs wrote:djenks, your posts in this thread reek of an elitist snobbish disposition which is almost as galling as your apparent lack of appreciation for the great beers produced in Chicago at Rock Bottom, where some of the best barrel aged beers in the country are produced, and at Piece, which is expanding its brewing capacity and consistenly produces good to great beers.

whoa, whoa - i do not want to give off that impression. Listen - i never said that they were bad places to go, that i did not appreciate them, or that I am a snobbish person. I think people are misunderstanding me a little.

I'm not putting down the places in chicago as much as i'm saying that i think there should be more and in comparison to a lot of other places, IMO, they are not as good. Rock Bottom is alright. GI is is pretty good. No hard feelings there, but like i said earlier, they aren't places to write home about, imo. Pretty good, but they leave more choices to be desired (more choices as in places to go)

As for driving out to the suburbs, that was my point is that you need to drive. I was originally talking about places that brew beer in chicago so that point was relevant to my post.
  • Post #51 - November 29th, 2007, 2:07 pm
    Post #51 - November 29th, 2007, 2:07 pm Post #51 - November 29th, 2007, 2:07 pm
    djenks wrote:Jamieson22 - be honest - how many microbreweries have you sat down at and drank beer? I know GI is the best place in chicago to sit down and drink brews made in house because it's really the only place you can do this in chicago and get decent beer. But, just because it's the only one doesn't mean that it's great. Other micro brewery experiences will make one realize this very quickly.

Well, not sure why it would matter too much, and I don't have an exact count but I have been to "brewpubs" in at least 25 states and 5 countries. I do all-grain beer brewing. Does that qualify me for an opinion that counts?

Went to Goose Island (Clybourn) last night and had/sampled:
    Matilda
    Bourbon Imperial Brown Goose
    Imperial IPA
    Schwarzbier
    Maduro
    Pere Jacques
    Pilgrim Pale Ale
    Altbier

What should these be compared to to make me realize they are "nothing to write home about"?

Jamie
  • Post #52 - November 29th, 2007, 2:14 pm
    Post #52 - November 29th, 2007, 2:14 pm Post #52 - November 29th, 2007, 2:14 pm
    Just to follow up on the original Bells thread idea, Brixie's Beer Bar 9526 W Ogden, Brookfield will be tapping Bells new Kalamazoo Royal Amber Tuesday December 4th.
    Have no idea in terms of other places that wil be carrying the line though from what I understand it will be a very limited group (hoping Quenchers or Map Room)
  • Post #53 - November 29th, 2007, 2:22 pm
    Post #53 - November 29th, 2007, 2:22 pm Post #53 - November 29th, 2007, 2:22 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote:
    djenks wrote:Jamieson22 - be honest - how many microbreweries have you sat down at and drank beer? I know GI is the best place in chicago to sit down and drink brews made in house because it's really the only place you can do this in chicago and get decent beer. But, just because it's the only one doesn't mean that it's great. Other micro brewery experiences will make one realize this very quickly.

Well, not sure why it would matter too much, and I don't have an exact count but I have been to "brewpubs" in at least 25 states and 5 countries. I do all-grain beer brewing. Does that qualify me for an opinion that counts?

very much so - any opinion counts, really. I was trying to figure out where you're coming from - as any would do while debating. I just honestly wanted to know because, like i said earlier, there are many, many better places than GI. many

Just to follow up on the original Bells thread idea, Brixie's Beer Bar 9526 W Ogden, Brookfield will be tapping Bells new Kalamazoo Royal Amber Tuesday December 4th.
    Have no idea in terms of other places that wil be carrying the line though from what I understand it will be a very limited group (hoping Quenchers or Map Room)
    Jamieson22
    PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 pm

as Tobias Funke would say: This is Joyous news!
  • Post #54 - November 29th, 2007, 2:38 pm
    Post #54 - November 29th, 2007, 2:38 pm Post #54 - November 29th, 2007, 2:38 pm
    djenks wrote:very much so - any opinion counts, really. I was trying to figure out where you're coming from - as any would do while debating. I just honestly wanted to know because, like i said earlier, there are many, many better places than GI. many

This is a ridiculously subjective argument, and rather difficult to meaure, but what makes these other brew pubs so much better (and which one's are they)?

Is your complaint really that Chicago has a pathetic beer scene, or more so that your favorite breweries aren't located here?

Jamie
  • Post #55 - November 29th, 2007, 3:03 pm
    Post #55 - November 29th, 2007, 3:03 pm Post #55 - November 29th, 2007, 3:03 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote:
    djenks wrote:very much so - any opinion counts, really. I was trying to figure out where you're coming from - as any would do while debating. I just honestly wanted to know because, like i said earlier, there are many, many better places than GI. many

Is your complaint really that Chicago has a pathetic beer scene, or more so that your favorite breweries aren't located here?

Jamie

i understand that it's subjective - thats why i haven't stated anything as fact. I can't count how many times i've put "imo" in this thread. You're right, my favorite beer isn't located in chicago. It has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with, IMO, and many people i associate with - just find GI to be good. Not great, not bad, just good. Rock Bottom is alright at best. It's the fact that Chicago has only three breweries to truly claim and they are........decent to pretty good. Should i say "in my opinion" again?

There's a difference between disagreeing with me (which i appreciate and respect fully) and then there's just completely not understanding what i'm saying.

Apparently, i just can't convey my thoughts right, so i'm just gonna quit while i'm down rather than try to explain myself over, and over, and over again. :?
  • Post #56 - December 3rd, 2007, 4:49 pm
    Post #56 - December 3rd, 2007, 4:49 pm Post #56 - December 3rd, 2007, 4:49 pm
    I just got this e-mail from the Handlebar:

As you may have heard, last year Kalamazoo-based Bell’s Brewing pulled its much-loved beer out of the State of Illinois as a result of some serious issues, which were documented by a great article by Nicholas Day in the Reader. Without getting into too many details, we are happy to announce that there appears to be a breakthrough that will make some of you beer fans happy again.

This Tuesday December 4th at 6pm, Handlebar will be one of a few bars across Chicago to debut Royal Amber Ale, the first beer from the new Kalamazoo Brewing Company. Since this is a new brand, no, it’s not technically Bell’s Amber Ale but we’ll be sure to conduct a thorough taste comparison to see how it measures up. Word is that a Porter and India Pale Ale are coming soon from the fine folks at Kalamazoo Brewing.

Cheers,

Josh Deth
    Handlebar
    2311 W. North Ave.
  • Post #57 - December 3rd, 2007, 6:09 pm
    Post #57 - December 3rd, 2007, 6:09 pm Post #57 - December 3rd, 2007, 6:09 pm
    djenks wrote:
    Jamieson22 wrote:

Jamie

i understand that it's subjective - thats why i haven't stated anything as fact. I can't count how many times i've put "imo" in this thread. You're right, my favorite beer isn't located in chicago. It has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with, IMO, and many people i associate with - just find GI to be good. Not great, not bad, just good. Rock Bottom is alright at best. It's the fact that Chicago has only three breweries to truly claim and they are........decent to pretty good. Should i say "in my opinion" again?

There's a difference between disagreeing with me (which i appreciate and respect fully) and then there's just completely not understanding what i'm saying.

Apparently, i just can't convey my thoughts right, so i'm just gonna quit while i'm down rather than try to explain myself over, and over, and over again. :?

dj,
    I understand and respect your opinion, however in the first quote here you state "I just honestly wanted to know because, like i said earlier, there are many, many better places than GI. many" That pretty definitive and nowhere there do you state that this is simply your opinion, thus the misunderstanding.

I'm just saying. I'm not trying to start an agruement.
  • Post #58 - December 3rd, 2007, 10:03 pm
    Post #58 - December 3rd, 2007, 10:03 pm Post #58 - December 3rd, 2007, 10:03 pm
    it will be nice to have Bells back. glad to see Josh Deth, a former brewer himself, on the thread. i would love to hear his opinion of the local beer scene. i do know every time i've visited handlebar, he's poured 3f, 2b, and goose.

as for you, dj, we know which breweries you don't like, or rather like ok, but we are all wondering which breweries might be so lucky as to be thought of as good, by a man with such high standards.
  • Post #59 - December 4th, 2007, 9:20 am
    Post #59 - December 4th, 2007, 9:20 am Post #59 - December 4th, 2007, 9:20 am
    bitter wrote:glad to see Josh Deth, a former brewer himself, on the thread.

I believe Josh sent the email posted by schenked, rather than posted to the thread himself.
  • Post #60 - December 4th, 2007, 10:46 am
    Post #60 - December 4th, 2007, 10:46 am Post #60 - December 4th, 2007, 10:46 am
    bitter wrote:glad to see Josh Deth, a former brewer himself, on the thread. i would love to hear his opinion of the local beer scene.

His actions might speak louder than his words--Deth is working on opening a brewpub in Logan Square, Revolution Brewing. (More here and here.)

Kristen

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more