LTH Home

Chicago's new Metropolitan Brewery

Chicago's new Metropolitan Brewery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chicago's new Metropolitan Brewery

Post #1 - January 31st, 2009, 4:07 pm
    Post #1 - January 31st, 2009, 4:07 pm Post #1 - January 31st, 2009, 4:07 pm
    Before last week, I’d never heard of Metropolitan Brewery. I was simply looking around to see what show the Neo-Futurists were offering. That show is Beer, a musical about brewing craft beers, while fighting the evil villain Bud Miller. And it’s performed inside Metropolitan Brewery, at the corner of Ravenswood and Winona.

Metropolitan Brewery was started late last year by Doug and Tracy Hurst, who bill themselves as “craft beer’s obsequious minions.” Currently, the brewery’s beers are available at the Hopleaf, Handlebar, Risqué Café, and maybe a few others. Interestingly, unlike most microbrew startups, they aren’t currently making ales – it’s an all-lager operation. The two I tried were Dynamo Copper Lager, which had a nice balance of Munich and Vienna malts with noble German hops, and Flywheel Bright Lager, a very clean-tasting beer that reminded me of a far more complex version of LaCrosse Lager. Doug, the brewmaster, said he plans to add a Kölsch, Altbier, Oktoberfest, and a Doppelbock.

The show is lively, fun, and surprisingly accurate about the process of brewing. And it’s loaded with local beery references – from the all-seeing, all-knowing See-Bull, to the bittering, flavor and aroma hops, each of which happens to be named Floyd. So you can hear a musical number by The Three Floyds. Highly recommended. Runs through March 7.

But more importantly, it was great to learn of, taste and tour a new microbrewery in Chicago, that has identified an interesting niche, and based on early results, seems to be doing a great job filling it. I’ll be seeking out Metropolitan’s beers. (Note, Metropolitan is strictly a brewery, not a brewpub – I’m guessing that the space used for the theatrical performance may be where they ultimately expect to put their bottling line.)

Hopleaf Bar
    5148 N Clark St
    Chicago

Handlebar Bar & Grill
    2311 W North Ave
    Chicago

Risqué Café
    3419 N Clark St
    Chicago
  • Post #2 - February 3rd, 2009, 6:15 pm
    Post #2 - February 3rd, 2009, 6:15 pm Post #2 - February 3rd, 2009, 6:15 pm
    Looking forward to trying some of the new brews. From the looks of it, they're a pretty serious operation. And, as someone who recently rediscovered the simple beauty of a well-crafted lager, I'm glad to see they're focusing on those.
  • Post #3 - February 7th, 2009, 11:00 pm
    Post #3 - February 7th, 2009, 11:00 pm Post #3 - February 7th, 2009, 11:00 pm
    Rushed over to the Hopleaf after work the other day in time to try one of the Metropolitan brews. Though I kinda had to chug it before we left, I got a good impression of the Dynamo Copper Lager. Its notably different from other lagers, either German or American. It has some of the crisp hoppiness of the Brooklyn lager, but has a fuller sweet finish than Victory's Prima Pils. The most prominent flavor seemed to be, oddly enough, peanut butter. Worth a try for $5 - doesn't reinvent the wheel, but will be near the top of the list when I'm looking for a lager.
  • Post #4 - February 9th, 2009, 8:59 am
    Post #4 - February 9th, 2009, 8:59 am Post #4 - February 9th, 2009, 8:59 am
    nr706 wrote:The show is lively, fun, and surprisingly accurate about the process of brewing. And it’s loaded with local beery references – from the all-seeing, all-knowing See-Bull, to the bittering, flavor and aroma hops, each of which happens to be named Floyd. So you can hear a musical number by The Three Floyds. Highly recommended. Runs through March 7.

nr706, thanks for the review. I've been interested in seeing the show (and trying some Metropolian beers) since reading about it, I think, on Gapers Block. The show is now listed on Goldstar, with $7.50 tickets, for anyone else interested.
  • Post #5 - February 20th, 2009, 4:31 pm
    Post #5 - February 20th, 2009, 4:31 pm Post #5 - February 20th, 2009, 4:31 pm
    Beer, the show is very fun and inventive - highly recommended! Really fine performances by very talented performers. If you've been thinking about going, don't hesitate.
  • Post #6 - February 27th, 2009, 11:46 am
    Post #6 - February 27th, 2009, 11:46 am Post #6 - February 27th, 2009, 11:46 am
    They've got the Copper Lager on tap at Prairie Moon, Evanston. Nice crisp lager, but I'll reserve judgement, since my tasting was after some (okay, several) palette busting hop and alcohol powerhouses.
  • Post #7 - February 28th, 2009, 3:19 pm
    Post #7 - February 28th, 2009, 3:19 pm Post #7 - February 28th, 2009, 3:19 pm
    Tiny Lounge on Leavitt also has at least one Metropolitan brew on tap, although I can't remember which one. Their food menu also looked pretty interesting.

4352 N Leavitt St
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 463-0396
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #8 - July 8th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Post #8 - July 8th, 2009, 3:14 pm Post #8 - July 8th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    I really need to get up there to check out the brewery one of these days.

I've seen Flywheel and Dynamo at the Map Room (corner of Armitage & Hoyne). Their website indicates Flywheel is currently on tap.
  • Post #9 - October 6th, 2009, 7:27 am
    Post #9 - October 6th, 2009, 7:27 am Post #9 - October 6th, 2009, 7:27 am
    I picked up a six-pack of Metropolitan's new Kölsch-style lager, Krank-Shaft. Not being a connoisseur of this style of lager, I didn't have much to compare it to. I tried the first one a few nights ago, and it did really nothing for me. Not bad, but nothing I'd run back for.

Since there were five left in my fridge that needed to be consumed, I grabbed another last night with dinner. After dinner, I opened another. My wife said to me, "I thought you weren't a big fan of that beer?" I replied, "I thought so too, but when I finished the last bottle, I was sad that it was gone."

So, it grew on me. Maybe it took some time to recalibrate my palette to it, but it has a very pleasant bright effervescence and just enough hoppiness to make it interesting. It's not exactly a cool-weather beer, but something I'm enjoying nonetheless.

Side note, for those interested, Tom Keith (aka nr706) wrote a great feature piece on Metropolitan for The Local Beet.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #10 - October 6th, 2009, 9:33 am
    Post #10 - October 6th, 2009, 9:33 am Post #10 - October 6th, 2009, 9:33 am
    From Facebook:
    Metropolitan Brewing wrote: We just mashed in our first batch of Generator Doppelbock!
  • Post #11 - October 8th, 2009, 11:03 pm
    Post #11 - October 8th, 2009, 11:03 pm Post #11 - October 8th, 2009, 11:03 pm
    Reissdorf Kölsch travels quite well for the style so would be a fair comparison for the style. I have sampled Metro's interpretation and it is darn close to the mark.
  • Post #12 - June 7th, 2010, 12:34 pm
    Post #12 - June 7th, 2010, 12:34 pm Post #12 - June 7th, 2010, 12:34 pm
    I had a few of these Metropolitan Dynamo Copper Lager's brews on tap last night at the Maple Tree Inn. Great brew, smooth and nice finish with good kick to it. Went great with the piles of shrimp, crawdads and spare ribs we had.

Maple Tree Inn
    13301 S. Western
    Blue Island IL 60406
    (708) 388-3461
    http://blueislandbiz.com/mapletree.html
    http://www.metrobrewing.com/beers/index.html

Joint'z around town that have the Copper Lager >> http://www.beermenus.com/beers/metropolitan-dynamo-copper-lager?city_id=chicago
  • Post #13 - October 4th, 2017, 11:43 am
    Post #13 - October 4th, 2017, 11:43 am Post #13 - October 4th, 2017, 11:43 am
    Chicagoans have long been drinking Metropolitan Brewing’s beers at bars and in the comfort of their own homes. But now lager fans have a place to go and sip on Metropolitan’s brews, inside the brewery’s just-opened Avondale taproom that overlooks the Chicago River at 3057 N. Rockwell St. every day of the week.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/10/3/164 ... m-avondale
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #14 - October 11th, 2017, 2:49 am
    Post #14 - October 11th, 2017, 2:49 am Post #14 - October 11th, 2017, 2:49 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Chicagoans have long been drinking Metropolitan Brewing’s beers at bars and in the comfort of their own homes. But now lager fans have a place to go and sip on Metropolitan’s brews, inside the brewery’s just-opened Avondale taproom that overlooks the Chicago River at 3057 N. Rockwell St. every day of the week.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/10/3/164 ... m-avondale

Stopped in here with my wife over the weekend. Still some work to be done (like the patio and the entrance...walking through a construction site), but a really nice spot to take down a few. No food, but can BYO or get delivery.

The view will only improve as the leaves start changing along the river in the coming weeks.
  • Post #15 - October 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm
    Post #15 - October 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm Post #15 - October 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm
    I was there earlier this month. It is nice they finally have a location where they can brew and host. I am pretty sure you know my favorite beer is Dynamo Copper Lager. :D
    I think the view is picturesque right now. Here are photographs I took. The first one distinguishes the door you are seeking as you crawl through the construction zone. :lol: Image Image Image Image Image You're close enough to Western Ave. that, as I did, you can go from here to Half Acre's Balmoral Taproom and Spiteful Brwg.'s Taproom. (You have to walk 3 blocks ENE on Bowmanville Ave. from the route #49 {and #X49} Western | Berwyn terminus.)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #16 - April 28th, 2020, 5:58 pm
    Post #16 - April 28th, 2020, 5:58 pm Post #16 - April 28th, 2020, 5:58 pm
    Metropolitan Brewing, a Chicago canned beer holdout, finally pivots to cans — in part because of coronavirus

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
  • Post #17 - December 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm
    Post #17 - December 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm Post #17 - December 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm
    Metropolitan Brewing Fighting Eviction From Riverfront Taproom, Say Landlord Made Them Overpay For Years

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/12/01 ... -eviction/
  • Post #18 - February 12th, 2021, 4:33 pm
    Post #18 - February 12th, 2021, 4:33 pm Post #18 - February 12th, 2021, 4:33 pm
    Metropolitan Brewing relying on ‘hope’ and negotiations as eviction case ramps up.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #19 - March 1st, 2021, 1:00 am
    Post #19 - March 1st, 2021, 1:00 am Post #19 - March 1st, 2021, 1:00 am
    Dave148 wrote: Metropolitan Brewing relying on ‘hope’ and negotiations as eviction case ramps up. [article link deleted for copyright reasons]
    Just what does the landlord of this venue think he will be able to do if he expels Metropolitan Brwg. from the premises?
    Does he believe he will be able to claim its brewing and packaging equipment as his property, since Metropolitan Brwg. “defaulted” on the contract's terms?
    Does he believe he will be able to sell or lease the space to D. G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., a brewer which could use a brewery outside of Pottsville, PA. and Tampa, FL. in order to expand westward across the U.S.A., which is now possible due to an agreement it has with MolsonCoors? I surmise he deduces the picturesque location of the space will become the model for Yuengling | MolsonCoors brewpubs similar to how AnheuserBusch InBev is composing Goose Island brewpubs globally.
    I am reading a little too deeply into this situation? That is certainly possible. But I have not read anything about this on craft beer orbiting W-WW sites or on craft beer podcasts.
    I would scribe it would be keen to hear the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild state on this matter, but to the ICBG, Metropolitan Brwg. does not exist.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #20 - March 18th, 2021, 4:25 pm
    Post #20 - March 18th, 2021, 4:25 pm Post #20 - March 18th, 2021, 4:25 pm
    Back on 8 March, when I pulled the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint out of the garage to recycle the aluminum cans @ T & Z Metals (25¢ | lb.), I motored to Metropolitan Brwg. to buy a quantity of its new C. Seipp's Columbia World's Fair Bock (6% ABV).
    The beer had been released only four days prior.
    The curbside auxiliary shop on the premises was closed (It was a Monday.). A sandwich board on the sidewalk directed one to the taproom to purchase beers for take out.
    Strolled the labyrinth to the taproom and espied a number of patrons on the outside patio. Querying a bartender for an amount of the Columbia Bock, I was informed it was completely out of stock.
    "When will you have more in stock?"
    "In about one month." :shock:
    The best way to phrase this then, is that this Columbia Bock may be {finally} Metropolitan's first breakout, massive, monster hit. :!:

A contingency for me was hastening to the nearby Beer Temple store to see if it had any in stock. It did. I bought two 6-packs. (12-oz. bottles - $9.99 each)
    This also altered what food was brought back to the abode for dinner. But that is off-topic for this thread. Look for a subsequent reply in this rubric. :)
  • Post #21 - June 8th, 2022, 9:22 pm
    Post #21 - June 8th, 2022, 9:22 pm Post #21 - June 8th, 2022, 9:22 pm
    Another event unearthed is the Chicago Brew Fest 2022: Sunday, 26 June 2022: 1:30 - 5:30 pm.
    Venue: Rockwell on the River; 3057 N. Rockwell St.; Chicago, IL. 60618 ($70.59) This is adjacent to Metropolitan's Brewery, but as of Wednesday, Metropolitan was missing from the list of breweries participating. :shock:
    I have bought a ticket for this.
  • Post #22 - October 20th, 2023, 4:21 am
    Post #22 - October 20th, 2023, 4:21 am Post #22 - October 20th, 2023, 4:21 am

Citing tepid retail sales, unsustainable debt and a yearslong rent dispute at its custom-designed taproom and brewery overlooking the Chicago River, Metropolitan Brewing has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
Without reworking its debt, including more than $1 million owed in back rent and fees, the pioneering 15-year-old craft brewer said it will not survive the long Chicago winter ahead.
“The brewery will not be able to make it through the winter … without a comprehensive restructuring or sale,” Metropolitan said in its Oct. 3 bankruptcy filing.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #23 - October 20th, 2023, 9:39 am
    Post #23 - October 20th, 2023, 9:39 am Post #23 - October 20th, 2023, 9:39 am
    Dave148 wrote:

Citing tepid retail sales, unsustainable debt and a yearslong rent dispute at its custom-designed taproom and brewery overlooking the Chicago River, Metropolitan Brewing has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
Without reworking its debt, including more than $1 million owed in back rent and fees, the pioneering 15-year-old craft brewer said it will not survive the long Chicago winter ahead.
“The brewery will not be able to make it through the winter … without a comprehensive restructuring or sale,” Metropolitan said in its Oct. 3 bankruptcy filing.

I was there a few months ago and was impressed by the clean, bright, cavernous space overlooking the water but I immediately thought to myself "I had no idea that Metropolitan beer is this beloved." The space felt big enough to be a small convention hall but I thought that maybe they expected the waterfront location and neighboring businesses would help draw traffic beyond destination-driven beer-lovers. Service was perfunctory and I wondered about the viability of such a large space only serving the beer from one maker. In any case, I'm not really shocked that it wasn't sustainable.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #24 - November 14th, 2023, 3:15 pm
    Post #24 - November 14th, 2023, 3:15 pm Post #24 - November 14th, 2023, 3:15 pm
    The beloved Chicago brewery and taproom will close after service on Dec. 17, owners Doug and Tracy Hurst announced on social media Tuesday. The taproom along the Chicago River will be open its normal hours every day until then except for Thanksgiving, the owners said.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/11/14 ... -for-good/
  • Post #25 - November 14th, 2023, 3:52 pm
    Post #25 - November 14th, 2023, 3:52 pm Post #25 - November 14th, 2023, 3:52 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    The beloved Chicago brewery and taproom will close after service on Dec. 17, owners Doug and Tracy Hurst announced on social media Tuesday. The taproom along the Chicago River will be open its normal hours every day until then except for Thanksgiving, the owners said.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/11/14 ... -for-good/

Not surprised at this point but still sad news.
  • Post #26 - November 15th, 2023, 12:36 am
    Post #26 - November 15th, 2023, 12:36 am Post #26 - November 15th, 2023, 12:36 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

I was there a few months ago and was impressed by the clean, bright, cavernous space overlooking the water but I immediately thought to myself "I had no idea that Metropolitan beer is this beloved." The space felt big enough to be a small convention hall but I thought that maybe they expected the waterfront location and neighboring businesses would help draw traffic beyond destination-driven beer-lovers. Service was perfunctory and I wondered about the viability of such a large space only serving the beer from one maker. In any case, I'm not really shocked that it wasn't sustainable.

=R=

It was quite an ambitious space, especially one that takes some effort to find even if you're looking for it. I wish it would have panned out but yeah, it seems they overestimated their then-present or future appeal.
  • Post #27 - February 12th, 2024, 8:09 am
    Post #27 - February 12th, 2024, 8:09 am Post #27 - February 12th, 2024, 8:09 am
    After Metropolitan’s Closure, Seipp Brewing Starts Partnership To Revive 19th Century Chicago Beers

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/02/12 ... ago-beers/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more