LTH Home

Mexican Coke Goes Mainstream? (Garden & Gun Magazine)

Mexican Coke Goes Mainstream? (Garden & Gun Magazine)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Mexican Coke Goes Mainstream? (Garden & Gun Magazine)

Post #1 - May 5th, 2009, 8:40 am
    Post #1 - May 5th, 2009, 8:40 am Post #1 - May 5th, 2009, 8:40 am
    Among the many magazines I receive every month is one called Garden & Gun. It's sort of a Southern Living clone, with emphasis on beautiful architecture, stories of life in the South and guns. In the current issue, John T. Edge writes about the grey market Mexican Coke made with cane sugar that many of us seek out. Evidently, there may be a move afoot at Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta to openly import Mexican Coke from Monterrey and include it in the product mix available to Coke bottlers and distributors all over the USA. This could be really good news!

http://gardenandgun.com/article/coca-cola-mexicana
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - May 5th, 2009, 8:51 am
    Post #2 - May 5th, 2009, 8:51 am Post #2 - May 5th, 2009, 8:51 am
    To me, the fact that a magazine called Garden & Gun exists is far more noteworthy than the story about Mexican coke that appears in it. :shock:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - May 5th, 2009, 8:53 am
    Post #3 - May 5th, 2009, 8:53 am Post #3 - May 5th, 2009, 8:53 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:To me, the fact that a magazine called Garden & Gun exists is far more noteworthy than the story about Mexican coke that appears in it. :shock:

Hey, when those rutabagas get out of line, you'll be glad you're well-armed.

This is exciting news, regardless of the source :-)
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #4 - May 5th, 2009, 9:16 am
    Post #4 - May 5th, 2009, 9:16 am Post #4 - May 5th, 2009, 9:16 am
    Mexican coke goes mainstream, indeed!

An edited excerpt from the June, 2009 issue of Consumer Reports:

Sharp-eyed cola fans might have noticed that sugar has crept back into some versions of their favorite beverage. In 185 Costco stores, shoppers have a choice of the usual Coca-Cola Classic, made in the U.S. with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or Coca-Cola hecho en Mexico, made with sugar.

You might occasionally still see made-in-the-U.S. sugared Coke. Classic Coke marked "kosher for Passover" is sweetened with sugar, and one Coca-Cola bottler never gave up sugar for its franchises in Cleveland and part of Pennsylvania. But that Coke doesn't sell at a premium. Costco charges more for Mexican Coke than regular because the Coca-Cola distributor charges Costco more for it, says John Eagan, vice president of foods merchandising for Costco's Los Angeles region.

What I found interesting is the bit about the bottler in the US that never stopped using real sugar - how do I get my hands on some of that? :)

Full article available at:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... oke-ov.htm

*Edited to comply with copyright laws
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #5 - May 5th, 2009, 11:09 am
    Post #5 - May 5th, 2009, 11:09 am Post #5 - May 5th, 2009, 11:09 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:To me, the fact that a magazine called Garden & Gun exists is far more noteworthy than the story about Mexican coke that appears in it. :shock:

=R=

The subscription was a Christmas gift from my friend in South Carolina, Redneck John. When he told me he had signed me up, I thought he was making a joke...until the first issue arrived in my mailbox. For the record, the "gun" part has to do with very high end rifles used for hunting with your dogs (which are also discussed). It's really a very nice high end magazine.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - May 5th, 2009, 11:22 am
    Post #6 - May 5th, 2009, 11:22 am Post #6 - May 5th, 2009, 11:22 am
    stevez wrote:

=R=

The subscription was a Christmas gift from my friend in South Carolina, Redneck John. When he told me he had signed me up, I thought he was making a joke...until the first issue arrived in my mailbox. For the record, the "gun" part has to do with very high end rifles used for hunting with your dogs (which are also discussed). It's really a very nice high end magazine.

Next time I come over, I'm going to check out an issue.

=R=
  • Post #7 - May 5th, 2009, 12:10 pm
    Post #7 - May 5th, 2009, 12:10 pm Post #7 - May 5th, 2009, 12:10 pm
    stevez wrote:

=R=

I am from South Carolina and never touched a gun--aside from a water pistol-- until a couple of years ago. I am a vegetarian, but I love shooting clays. How do I get a hold of a subscription or perhaps I can see one of your cast-offs before leaping into 1 more subscription land.
    PS- To keep this on topic, when I am unable to find Coke with sugar these days I just say forget the calories and stick to carting around my own Coke Zero. I do also love the real can sugar sodas of Goose Island. One of the best root beers around and I think the best grape I have experienced as an adult. Purple cow anyone?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #8 - May 5th, 2009, 2:08 pm
    Post #8 - May 5th, 2009, 2:08 pm Post #8 - May 5th, 2009, 2:08 pm
    Saw a commercial for a new Pepsi flanker called Pepsi Breakthrough--the commercial looked very much like a psychedelic animated 7-Up "uncola" commercial from the early seventies, so they are counting on most of their target market not to have been alive to remember that--and the premise is that it is sweetened only with sugar. ("Natural" sugar, as the spot puts it, in its retro-hippie way.) Available for a "limited time."

P.S. Just saw a related thread in the "Something to Drink" forum--where this thread probably belongs, too--that refers to a product named Pepsi Throwback. That might be the name in the commercial I saw, rather than Pepsi Breakthrough.
  • Post #9 - May 5th, 2009, 3:10 pm
    Post #9 - May 5th, 2009, 3:10 pm Post #9 - May 5th, 2009, 3:10 pm
    The Pepsi promotion is indeed Pepsi Throwback, and it is definitely to Pepsi what Mexican Coke is to Coke. I don't even like Pepsi very much but I find the Pepsi Throwback I picked up for my wife to be eminently drinkable.

That said, Mexican Coke is even better, and while I normally just pick it up at the Super Tony's where we do our grocery shopping, my parents will definitely be glad to know they might be able to pick some up at Costco.
  • Post #10 - May 5th, 2009, 3:13 pm
    Post #10 - May 5th, 2009, 3:13 pm Post #10 - May 5th, 2009, 3:13 pm
    ucjames wrote:The Pepsi promotion is indeed Pepsi Throwback, and it is definitely to Pepsi what Mexican Coke is to Coke. I don't even like Pepsi very much but I find the Pepsi Throwback I picked up for my wife to be eminently drinkable.

That said, Mexican Coke is even better, and while I normally just pick it up at the Super Tony's where we do our grocery shopping, my parents will definitely be glad to know they might be able to pick some up at Costco.

Mexican Pepsi is also available at many places selling Mexican Coke. I've never bought it because I don't like Pepsi all that much, but for those who do, the Mexican stuff will still be available once the Throwback stuff goes away.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - May 5th, 2009, 3:15 pm
    Post #11 - May 5th, 2009, 3:15 pm Post #11 - May 5th, 2009, 3:15 pm
    According to this FAQ from what appears to be a non-biased organization called the Corn Refiners Association, it appears that there is no taste difference between sugar and HFCS. :wink:
  • Post #12 - May 5th, 2009, 3:21 pm
    Post #12 - May 5th, 2009, 3:21 pm Post #12 - May 5th, 2009, 3:21 pm
    Yeah, Mexican Pepsi is readily available in the Chicago area. If you're looking for specifics, there's always a good stock at the mexican grocery store at the southeast corner of Wood and 18th. I also prefer it to every other pepsi, although I haven't yet tested it against throwback.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #13 - May 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm
    Post #13 - May 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm Post #13 - May 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm
    Dumb question and I'm sure the answer is somewhere:

Is there a difference between Mexican Coke and Passover Coke? If so, what is it?
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #14 - May 5th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    Post #14 - May 5th, 2009, 3:45 pm Post #14 - May 5th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    jesteinf wrote:Dumb question and I'm sure the answer is somewhere:

Is there a difference between Mexican Coke and Passover Coke? If so, what is it?

I'm not certain, but I believe there's a little bit of regional variation in the formula. It isn't just an HFCS vs. cane sugar thing. And, in fact, some Mexican Coke is made with HFCS.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #15 - May 5th, 2009, 3:51 pm
    Post #15 - May 5th, 2009, 3:51 pm Post #15 - May 5th, 2009, 3:51 pm
    Matt wrote:According to this FAQ from what appears to be a non-biased organization called the Corn Refiners Association, it appears that there is no taste difference between sugar and HFCS. :wink:

I don't think the new sugar soft drinks are responding to consumer preference - they're a response to folks who believe that HFCS is tainted, poison or otherwise worse for you than sugar. I find it annoying that consumers can't just say "hey, I don't like the taste of HFCS," and get a response from the market.

Didn't stevez compare the two sugar versions somewhere? Of course, gleam has been doing an excellent job of taste-testing all the newer sodas in his thread.
  • Post #16 - May 5th, 2009, 4:04 pm
    Post #16 - May 5th, 2009, 4:04 pm Post #16 - May 5th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Passover coke is usually beet sugar or beet/cane sugar. There may also be differences in amount of sweetener.

That said, I think the biggest difference is that Mexican Coke comes in a glass bottle and is available 365 days a year.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #17 - May 5th, 2009, 6:24 pm
    Post #17 - May 5th, 2009, 6:24 pm Post #17 - May 5th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Glass bottles, for one.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #18 - May 5th, 2009, 9:04 pm
    Post #18 - May 5th, 2009, 9:04 pm Post #18 - May 5th, 2009, 9:04 pm
    Mhays wrote:I don't think the new sugar soft drinks are responding to consumer preference - they're a response to folks who believe that HFCS is tainted, poison or otherwise worse for you than sugar. I find it annoying that consumers can't just say "hey, I don't like the taste of HFCS," and get a response from the market.

I don't think enough people get to taste the non-HFCS versions to tell the difference enough to promote change. However,
    Anti-fructose science may be swaying public opinion (link)

see also quasi-related link on same site that may be of interest to some who have the time to read/listen to it (read: I have not):How Coke and Pepsi plan to grow in the recession
  • Post #19 - May 5th, 2009, 9:44 pm
    Post #19 - May 5th, 2009, 9:44 pm Post #19 - May 5th, 2009, 9:44 pm
    Mhays wrote:I don't think the new sugar soft drinks are responding to consumer preference - they're a response to folks who believe that HFCS is tainted, poison or otherwise worse for you than sugar. I find it annoying that consumers can't just say "hey, I don't like the taste of HFCS," and get a response from the market.

I was thinking about this in the context of the new Pepsi products mentioned in other threads. Pepsi Natural seems to be playing off of the HFCS is bad theme ("Natural" perhaps could be read by negative implication to suggest that HFCS is unnatural), while Pepsi Throwback appeals to those that believe that the taste of HFCS Pepsi is truly different than cane sugar Pepsi.
  • Post #20 - May 5th, 2009, 10:06 pm
    Post #20 - May 5th, 2009, 10:06 pm Post #20 - May 5th, 2009, 10:06 pm
    Pepsi Throwback's labeling wants to have it both ways. Retro logo and commercials, but the tagline is still "made with natural sugar". I think HFCS-phobia is the main reason behind all of this stuff, but if that means I get more real sugar soda, it's a win. That said, I also think "natural sugar" is less risky for them than "real sugar" in terms of tainting the regular product.

FWIW - the throwback bevs use a mix of beet and cane sugar, which is probably why they don't specify "natural cane sugar" or something.

I just had another can of Pepsi Throwback today, and it's really a much better drink than the regular Pepsi. Even if you don't like Pepsi, give it a try. I might even prefer it over HFCS coke.. it's a close call.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #21 - December 25th, 2009, 10:05 am
    Post #21 - December 25th, 2009, 10:05 am Post #21 - December 25th, 2009, 10:05 am
    stevez wrote:Among the many magazines I receive every month is one called Garden & Gun. It's sort of a Southern Living clone, with emphasis on beautiful architecture, stories of life in the South and guns.

Review of an upscale Virgina restaurant by John T. Edge, an interesting article about Australian Shiraz aged in whiskey barrels, Pappy Van Winkle no less, also by Edge and a recipe for Creole style Red Beans and Rice including background info.

Add in well fleshed out articles about gardening, hunting, fishing, book reviews and sporting dogs, along with gorgeous full color photos and you have pretty much the opposite of what the name implies to us on the North side of the Mason Dim Sum line.

Very much enjoying my inaugural Garden & Gun gift subscription, thanks Santa.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - December 25th, 2009, 10:53 am
    Post #22 - December 25th, 2009, 10:53 am Post #22 - December 25th, 2009, 10:53 am
    stevez wrote:

=R=

I've got a custom-fit over & under for clays. DH uses his Beretta side-by-side for clays & Upland bird hunting. Since I'm from South Carolina, I think I should get DH a subscription for our anniversary on Tuesday. The couple that shoots together stays together :mrgreen: -- Pull!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #23 - December 25th, 2009, 11:21 am
    Post #23 - December 25th, 2009, 11:21 am Post #23 - December 25th, 2009, 11:21 am
    When I was on an email list for Brittany owners who actually do hunt (sadly, we don't, but we do have Brittanies) much of the talk was about guns. It was never "I can blow whatever away" and always about the action, tech specs, beauty, etc. Plus recipes. Just like food or tech or whatever other nerds :)

And it was a place where people really could talk about some related controversial topics without descending into ad hominem attack non-logic. People did disagree on things, but could respect the other opinion.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #24 - December 27th, 2009, 3:38 pm
    Post #24 - December 27th, 2009, 3:38 pm Post #24 - December 27th, 2009, 3:38 pm
    I especially enjoy soft drinks that are now labeled "made with real sugar"..."artificial flavor". It is interesting that just recently sugar was also a " bad" ingredient and now it is a "good" ingredient. They are all sugar waters and being a sugar addict I love them all. Now only if I can get over the stress of what is good for me I might even enjoy them guilt free, oh but the stress of eating or drinking anything now a days without feeling guilty must be worse than anything they put in our foods.
    That being said, pass me the Mexican Coke, at least it is in a bottle.
  • Post #25 - December 28th, 2009, 4:22 pm
    Post #25 - December 28th, 2009, 4:22 pm Post #25 - December 28th, 2009, 4:22 pm
    Was intending to try the Kosher Coke being sold at Sams Club in northern Indiana region right now, but you have to buy 20 bottles for $19. Yikes! Maybe if more people ask for it, the price will come down.
  • Post #26 - December 28th, 2009, 4:26 pm
    Post #26 - December 28th, 2009, 4:26 pm Post #26 - December 28th, 2009, 4:26 pm
    npchicago wrote:Was intending to try the Kosher Coke being sold at Sams Club in northern Indiana region right now, but you have to buy 20 bottles for $19. Yikes! Maybe if more people ask for it, the price will come down.

Do you mean the coke in glass bottles? That's Mexican Coke, and $19/24btls is actually a very good price for it.

Give it a shot.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #27 - July 26th, 2013, 4:40 pm
    Post #27 - July 26th, 2013, 4:40 pm Post #27 - July 26th, 2013, 4:40 pm
    3 1/2 years later, MexiCoke has definitely gone mainstream. Family Dollar now carries it along with Mexican Sprite and Fanta for $1 per single bottle. Not as cheap as the warehouse clubs, but a good price for single bottles. BTW, Walgreens now carries Mexican Pepsi ($1.49/bottle). Now, if Mexican Squirt would only go mainstream, I would be a happy camper. The Family Dollar display had the Coke in old time heavy wooden crates with metal handles. Is that the way Costco sells cases? I wouldn't mind getting a few of those crates for holding home brew.

BTW This thread should probably be moved to the drink forum
  • Post #28 - July 31st, 2013, 10:14 pm
    Post #28 - July 31st, 2013, 10:14 pm Post #28 - July 31st, 2013, 10:14 pm
    d4v3 wrote:The Family Dollar display had the Coke in old time heavy wooden crates with metal handles. Is that the way Costco sells cases? I wouldn't mind getting a few of those crates for holding home brew.

Unfortunately (for your purposes), Costco cases I have seen are cardboard bottom and cello wrap.
  • Post #29 - July 31st, 2013, 11:05 pm
    Post #29 - July 31st, 2013, 11:05 pm Post #29 - July 31st, 2013, 11:05 pm
    d4v3 wrote:BTW This thread should probably be moved to the drink forum

Good idea. Done. :)

=R=
  • Post #30 - August 9th, 2013, 4:12 pm
    Post #30 - August 9th, 2013, 4:12 pm Post #30 - August 9th, 2013, 4:12 pm
    We recently did blind taste test with as many varieties of Cocoa Cola we could find including Mexican Coke and Mexican Pepsi.
    Since Coke Classic is no longer available and Cocoa Cola says that is now regular Coke, we had to do with that as the standard.
    There was unanimous agreement among the three testers that Diet Coke with Splenda was very very good and about as good as Mexican Coke! Alas, it contains caffeine which can cause PVC's for me.
    Yesterday we blind tasted Diet Coke Caffeine Free against Coke Zero(it's caffeine free).
    Coke Zero was judged just slightly better than the diet caffeine free Coke with less after taste.
    In any event, a little fresh squeezed lime juice, a little rum and they ALL taste good!
    In my hand is a Cuba Libre made with Coke Zero, fresh lime and year 2000 Trinidad Plantation Rum.-Dick

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more