LTH Home

Perman Wine Selections

Perman Wine Selections
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Perman Wine Selections

Post #1 - October 12th, 2009, 11:09 am
    Post #1 - October 12th, 2009, 11:09 am Post #1 - October 12th, 2009, 11:09 am
    Craig Perman's shop [at Howe and Division] is an incredible resource of unusual wines and interesting discussion. Spare, modern and hip decor with bottles displayed on a white wall up to 12 feet high. A small wonderfully eclectic selection of wines with many unheard of varietals, all moderately priced, from around the world.

Craig sits alone at his desk, tending his shop. He acts as a wine finder for many of his customers. He is charming, highly knowledgeable and has not even a hint of snobbery in his demeanor. How about six different bottles of wine for $60 or a Duoro from 25 grape varieties from 70 year old vines for $44. If he doesn't have it, he knows where to find it.

He knows more about obscure varietals than anyone I have ever talked to. He can offer Passerina, Italian Kerner, Uruguayan Torrontes, Welschriesling and other remarkable wines; you won't find any chaptalized California chardonnay in this shop.

I cannot wait to get back to Chicago.

Tim

Perman Wine Selection
    1167 N Howe St
    Chicago, IL 60610
    permanwine.com
    orders@permanwine.com
  • Post #2 - October 12th, 2009, 11:53 am
    Post #2 - October 12th, 2009, 11:53 am Post #2 - October 12th, 2009, 11:53 am
    I'm a huge fan of Craig Perman and have written about him a few times. Here and here.

I've learned a lot through shopping at Craig's place. He is incredibly accommodating and will track down anything that he doesn't have in his shop. His prices are excellent. Finally, he hosts a lot of interesting tastings and other events.
  • Post #3 - October 12th, 2009, 1:32 pm
    Post #3 - October 12th, 2009, 1:32 pm Post #3 - October 12th, 2009, 1:32 pm
    Tim wrote:you won't find any chaptalized California chardonnay in this shop.

I thought chapitalization was illegal in California. Am I wrong?
  • Post #4 - October 12th, 2009, 1:36 pm
    Post #4 - October 12th, 2009, 1:36 pm Post #4 - October 12th, 2009, 1:36 pm
    No, I believe you are correct.
  • Post #5 - October 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    Post #5 - October 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm Post #5 - October 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    According to wikipedia, chaptalization is illegal in California, adding grape juice concentrate is not.
  • Post #6 - October 13th, 2009, 4:32 am
    Post #6 - October 13th, 2009, 4:32 am Post #6 - October 13th, 2009, 4:32 am
    nr706 wrote:
    Tim wrote:you won't find any chaptalized California chardonnay in this shop.

I thought chapitalization was illegal in California. Am I wrong?

So, tell me about Kendall-Jackson!
  • Post #7 - October 14th, 2009, 3:50 pm
    Post #7 - October 14th, 2009, 3:50 pm Post #7 - October 14th, 2009, 3:50 pm
    Kendell Jackson's style was the result of a stuck fermentation so the wine didn't ferment dry. At the time Jess Jackson called all the Chardonnay experts (Ric Forman and others) to help him fix the problem. When they couldn't Jess opted to leave it and, well you can probably figure out what happened next......
  • Post #8 - March 15th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    Post #8 - March 15th, 2020, 1:54 pm Post #8 - March 15th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    Craig is following the same path as Red & White and partially and temporarily closing, open only for pick up and delivery due to prevention of spreading COVID-19.

My guess is a lot of the bottles sold are impulse buys when people are walking around shops like Perman and Red & White, so these steps have to seriously impact their business.

Perman Wine In-Store Shopping Closure in Response to COVID-19

This past week, I instituted some changes to how we handle customer interactions in lieu of the COVID-19 pandemic.

After reviewing these changes, and paying close attention to possible ways that it could be spread throughout the store and in our community, I realized that what I was doing, ultimately wasn’t going far enough.

As someone who speaks to friends and colleagues internationally each and every day, and also someone that diligently follows the news, it is my opinion that we need to join others in practicing extreme social distancing.

While this might have a negative impact on my business, I would rather join others in doing this right now, than seeing this pandemic get progressively worse and continue in duration for many months to come.

Effective immediately, Perman Wine Selections will not allow in-store shopping.

All orders will occur through email, phone, and our website.

Car pickup is still our preferred method to get the wine to you. Simply pull up in front of the store, call 312-255-8990 from your phone, and I will place the wine in your vehicle.

While delivery options do exist, they are limited.

At this time, our regular courier Dennis is still delivering. Deliveries will occur between noon and 3 pm. His fee is $15 for up to 3 cases (subject to change). Pricing for larger quantities will be assessed at the time of the order. Please contact us for his delivery zone.

Postmates is the delivery service that is contracted if ordering over the web. There are limitations on their service. Please note, that Postmates orders can only be placed during our hours of operation. If you try to place your order on a Sunday, and/or before/after store hours, it will not show up as an option.

Postmates will only deliver under 30 lbs, this means they will only be able to deliver 7 - 9 bottles in total per order. (Sparkling bottles are heavier than standard bottles)

Postmates deliveries are available between the hours of 12:30 pm to 7:30pm Monday-Friday and 11:30am to 6:30pm on Saturday

Delivery orders must be finalized 30 minutes prior to the store closing for same-day delivery

We cannot guarantee same day delivery

Recipient listed must be present to receive wine. It is the sender's responsibility to confirm the recipient will be home. If you place the order ahead of time, please provide a window of time in which to send out the delivery. You can do so in "delivery notes" or you can email us directly

Returned orders may be subject to a return fee

Please note, we need to ask for your patience when it comes to fulfillment of your orders.

Perman Wine will operate with one employee staffing the store at a time. Hannah will be working in-store on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I will be working in-store on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

If you are picking up your wine on foot, only one customer will be allowed in Perman Wine Selections at a time. We will have you wait in a designated area. We ask other customers to wait outside, in a line, preferably three feet apart in distance.

Please email me directly if you have any questions at craig@permanwine.com

Also, please follow us on social media, in particular on Instagram @permanwine
    We will highlight wines and spirits in our store through this platform.

We really appreciate your support during this difficult time.

Sincerely,
    Craig Perman

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more