LTH Home

Costco vs. Binny's for liquor and beer

Costco vs. Binny's for liquor and beer
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - February 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm
    Post #61 - February 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm Post #61 - February 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm
    laikom wrote:Another reason to suck it up and get a membership...

Not to take away from the value of this post and these finds, but as discussed upthread, you don't need a membership to buy alcohol at a Costco in Illinois. State law prohibits paid club memberships for alcohol purchases. Just thought I'd mention it for the non-members who are interested in good finds such as these.
    Last edited by Katie on February 5th, 2014, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #62 - February 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm
    Post #62 - February 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm Post #62 - February 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm
    The GP wrote:I recently stood in line at a Costco membership desk to ask about buying liquor without a membership. I was told "they changed that" and it was no longer possible. Not having more time to pursue it, I headed to Binny's. Curious if anyone knows anything further.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #63 - February 5th, 2014, 3:36 pm
    Post #63 - February 5th, 2014, 3:36 pm Post #63 - February 5th, 2014, 3:36 pm
    Katie wrote:
    laikom wrote:Another reason to suck it up and get a membership: Today at Costco I was surprised to come across an entire display, 4 sides of their regular wine displays, of craft beer and cider. Even more surprisingly is that someone who know's their stuff must be stocking it, because there was some really good stuff...

Not to take away from the value of these finds, and I'm a Costco member and fan myself, but as I think we've discussed here before, you don't need a membership to buy alcohol at a Costco in Illinois. State law prohibits paid club memberships for alcohol purchases. Just thought I'd mention it for the non-members who are interested in good finds such as these.

Not too far upthread it was posted that this is no longer the case. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #64 - February 5th, 2014, 3:41 pm
    Post #64 - February 5th, 2014, 3:41 pm Post #64 - February 5th, 2014, 3:41 pm
    Well, I hadn't heard that the Illinois state law had changed, and it's up to the state, not Costco, but I admit that googling around right now, I can't find something to confirm it either. Does anyone have some up-to-date info on this?

Edited to add: After no luck with further googling, I decided to go straight to the source and sent an email the Illinois Liquor Commission to ask. I'll let you know if/when they answer back.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #65 - February 8th, 2014, 5:49 pm
    Post #65 - February 8th, 2014, 5:49 pm Post #65 - February 8th, 2014, 5:49 pm
    Katie wrote:Well, I hadn't heard that the Illinois state law had changed, and it's up to the state, not Costco, but I admit that googling around right now, I can't find something to confirm it either. Does anyone have some up-to-date info on this?

Edited to add: After no luck with further googling, I decided to go straight to the source and sent an email the Illinois Liquor Commission to ask. I'll let you know if/when they answer back.

I'm not sure about any changes in the law, and I'm not sure why I was curious about this matter, but here is my official reply from Costco when asked about the question ( I included the fact that I was in Illinois when inquiring):

Dear Sir/Madam,

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale. You are welcome to visit a Costco Wholesale location to see the valuable savings we have to offer. As a non-member, you may purchase prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy and pay with cash. However, you must be a paid member to purchase any other items.

For more information or to obtain an application, please visit the Membership counter at any Costco Wholesale location or sign up online at http://www.costco.com.

Costco Wholesale offers you the highest quality merchandise at the best value. We will refund your membership in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Thank you,

Tracie S.
    Member Service Center
    Costco Wholesale Corporation

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide