LTH Home

Billy Sunday - Logan Square cocktail bar from the Yusho team

Billy Sunday - Logan Square cocktail bar from the Yusho team
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Billy Sunday - Logan Square cocktail bar from the Yusho team

- August 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm
    - August 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm Post #1 - August 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm
    I'm a big fan of Billy Sunday. I never have trouble finding a seat at the bar and the bar tenders are always willing to talk to me to figure out what I'd like to drink. They use a lot of vintage glassware and plates which really adds to the vibe. I like that they have windows so you actually get some sunlight to go with the beautiful dark wood bar.

While I've been a fan more or less since they've opened, my best experience was my most recent. We arrived at about 7 oclock on a Saturday night after putting our name in at Fat Rice (2.5 hour wait!). I was with a group of out of town friends and we were able to snag seats at the end of the bar where Alex Bachman was tending bar. As soon as he realized we were into spirits he talked with us at length about the things he's been working on.

I started off with a Bijou cocktail on his recommendation since I'd rarely order a rum based drink (too sweet for my palate). This one was deceptively simple yet quite complex blending rhum agricole with sweet vermouth, centerbe (which is a high proof Italian herbal liquer) and angelica bitters. The combination was quite potent and distinctively herbal so as to balance out the sweetness.

Before ordering a second drink, we ordered a dozen New Brunswick oysters for $20 (though on the smallish side, they were quite fresh and sweet) and some crispy pig ears. Both were excellent bar snacks to go with cocktails. Inspired by the first cocktail I asked Alex to make something very bitter using rum. He thought for a minute, then asked if I'd ever heard of the Baby Darling. It's an Italian cocktail from the sixties that uses the hard to find Amaro 18 Isabella. What a drink! Intensely bitter and herbal with just enough punch from the rum to keep it smooth.

I can't think of a better aperitif to a nice dinner than chilling at the bar at Billy Sunday.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more