LTH Home

Horchoffee

Horchoffee
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Horchoffee

Post #1 - October 4th, 2021, 11:49 am
    Post #1 - October 4th, 2021, 11:49 am Post #1 - October 4th, 2021, 11:49 am
    Just read an article about horchoffee -- horchata with a shot of espresso. Haven't tried it, but it seems like a pretty obvious combination, not particularly far removed from your average latte made with non-dairy creamer. But apparently, though it is becoming increasingly popular on both coasts, it has become hugely controversial. Accusations of appropriation are flying.

Of course, all view it as appropriating horchata, but why might it not be appropriating espresso? Espresso is Ethiopian by way of Italy. And horchata was adopted from Spain. And not one of the ingredients is indigenous to the Americas (cinnamon, rice, sugar).

I almost get the feeling that people simply want to fight.

That said, my reaction to this is, I hope someone in this area starts serving it. Sounds tasty. And sounds like the history of the world--if it tastes good, adopt it.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #2 - October 4th, 2021, 11:55 am
    Post #2 - October 4th, 2021, 11:55 am Post #2 - October 4th, 2021, 11:55 am
    I do wonder if any of these types of controversies would even exist if it weren't for the abundance of outlets for stories about controversies. I know from my own experience as a writer that many outlets are unhappy with good news, even when you're writing about food.

• Post #3 - October 4th, 2021, 12:40 pm
    Post #3 - October 4th, 2021, 12:40 pm Post #3 - October 4th, 2021, 12:40 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Sounds tasty. And sounds like the history of the world--if it tastes good, adopt it.

Yes. This has long been the nature of culinary matters. Everyone borrows from -- and is influenced by -- everyone. Your hope seems entirely reasonable and yet, I'd be surprised if the appropriation police didn't show up to take custody of this one.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - October 4th, 2021, 3:24 pm
    Post #4 - October 4th, 2021, 3:24 pm Post #4 - October 4th, 2021, 3:24 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:Sounds tasty. And sounds like the history of the world--if it tastes good, adopt it.

Yes. This has long been the nature of culinary matters. Everyone borrows from -- and is influenced by -- everyone. Your hope seems entirely reasonable and yet, I'd be surprised if the appropriation police didn't show up to take custody of this one.

=R=

The thing that seems odder about this than some accusations of appropriation is that it was Hispanic food vendors who were adding the espresso to their horchata -- and then being accused of appropriating horchata. So folks are becoming so obsessed with preserving "purity" that people aren't even allowed to appropriate from their own cultures. Crazy stuff.

• Post #5 - October 4th, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Post #5 - October 4th, 2021, 4:13 pm Post #5 - October 4th, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Collectivo has had this on their menu for some time and I've seen it at a handfull of other coffee shops but no other names are jumping out to me right now.
  • Post #6 - October 4th, 2021, 6:10 pm
    Post #6 - October 4th, 2021, 6:10 pm Post #6 - October 4th, 2021, 6:10 pm
    You say potato, I say oat milk cinnamon latte
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more