LTH Home

The Best Coffee Roasters in Chicago

The Best Coffee Roasters in Chicago
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Best Coffee Roasters in Chicago

Post #1 - June 18th, 2022, 8:14 am
    Post #1 - June 18th, 2022, 8:14 am Post #1 - June 18th, 2022, 8:14 am
    We have purchase whole beans for over 50 years. The quality has changed within the last six months requiring dramatic change to our brewing methods. We are now looking for a new source of whole beans and water processed decaffinated beans.

Recommendations?
  • Post #2 - June 18th, 2022, 12:02 pm
    Post #2 - June 18th, 2022, 12:02 pm Post #2 - June 18th, 2022, 12:02 pm
    Tim wrote:We have purchase whole beans for over 50 years. The quality has changed within the last six months requiring dramatic change to our brewing methods. We are now looking for a new source of whole beans and water processed decaffinated beans.

Recommendations?

From where are/were you buying?

I’ve been buying our beans from Methodical out of Greenville, SC for the past 3 years. They have a huge selection of sustainably sourced light and medium roast beans and some nice proprietary blends as well. I have noticed that they’ve been out of stock on some of our favorites the past couple of months, but we haven’t noticed any difference in those we’ve been able to order. https://methodicalcoffee.com/
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #3 - June 19th, 2022, 9:53 am
    Post #3 - June 19th, 2022, 9:53 am Post #3 - June 19th, 2022, 9:53 am
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. We would have never thought of Greenville, SC. We will definately look at this source.

We have become used to stronger roasts that are not tipped. That is like walking a tightrope; it is time that we expanded our coffee selections.

Tim
  • Post #4 - June 20th, 2022, 7:08 am
    Post #4 - June 20th, 2022, 7:08 am Post #4 - June 20th, 2022, 7:08 am
    We've been buying from these guys since mid-pandemic. Really good:

https://www.sputnikcoffeecompany.com/#
  • Post #5 - June 20th, 2022, 4:35 pm
    Post #5 - June 20th, 2022, 4:35 pm Post #5 - June 20th, 2022, 4:35 pm
    I've had beans from Metric Coffee here in Chicago and have liked them a lot.

https://metriccoffee.com/

Our standard go-to roastery is up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Even with lots of choices in Chicago, we are on a subscription with Keweenaw Coffee.

https://www.keweenawcoffeeworks.com/
    -Mary
  • Post #6 - June 21st, 2022, 1:58 pm
    Post #6 - June 21st, 2022, 1:58 pm Post #6 - June 21st, 2022, 1:58 pm
    I've recently been buying coffee from Just Coffee Co-Op. I think they're based in Madison but they sell it at my local market. I prefer dark roasts and I really like the ones from Just. They're well rounded, meaty, not burned-tasting or bitter - and the different dark roasts have genuinely different flavor profiles. I've heard good things about their lighter roasts but haven't gotten there.
  • Post #7 - August 21st, 2022, 3:59 pm
    Post #7 - August 21st, 2022, 3:59 pm Post #7 - August 21st, 2022, 3:59 pm
    I use a roaster out of Wheaton called I Have a Bean. Very good selections and well roasted. They also employ persons who might need a second chance at a better path.
    https://www.ihaveabean.com/
    Find good food and eat it.
    Sapatero
  • Post #8 - August 28th, 2022, 8:30 pm
    Post #8 - August 28th, 2022, 8:30 pm Post #8 - August 28th, 2022, 8:30 pm
    sapatero wrote:I use a roaster out of Wheaton called I Have a Bean. Very good selections and well roasted. They also employ persons who might need a second chance at a better path.

I used this roaster for a while too - really good one. Now can recommend a Breville grinder as a good and easy machine.
  • Post #9 - August 31st, 2022, 3:36 pm
    Post #9 - August 31st, 2022, 3:36 pm Post #9 - August 31st, 2022, 3:36 pm
    sapatero wrote:I use a roaster out of Wheaton called I Have a Bean. Very good selections and well roasted. They also employ persons who might need a second chance at a better path.

I've been drinking I Have a Bean coffee for several years now. They do have a great mission and excellent coffee. They switched to only offering water process decaf a while back. It's really good.
  • Post #10 - September 19th, 2022, 10:59 am
    Post #10 - September 19th, 2022, 10:59 am Post #10 - September 19th, 2022, 10:59 am
    Through tomorrow (the 20th), Whole Foods is selling packaged coffee at 20% off. They typically carry Metropolis, Intelligentsia, Dark Matter, Bridgeport, etc., as well as out-of-towners like Counter Culture, Stumptown, Colectivo.
  • Post #11 - October 26th, 2022, 4:56 pm
    Post #11 - October 26th, 2022, 4:56 pm Post #11 - October 26th, 2022, 4:56 pm
    The GP wrote:I've had beans from Metric Coffee here in Chicago and have liked them a lot.

https://metriccoffee.com/

A Premier Indie Coffee Roaster Goes Big With an All-Day Cafe in Avondale.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2022/10/26/23 ... le-chicago
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #12 - July 18th, 2023, 4:03 am
    Post #12 - July 18th, 2023, 4:03 am Post #12 - July 18th, 2023, 4:03 am
    I just bought a bag of of beans yesterday from Big Shoulders, a local roaster. The package is simply labelled "Uganda" (no farm or estate is named at all which I imagine suggests some kind of blend) and a dark roast (!) (I'm used to light roasts for single-origin beans). Just had it and am quite underwhelmed. It's "fine" but has little character at all; it's remarkably meh. I searched here and found almost nothing. Do others have any experience of these folks?

FWIW, although I have tried beans from a variety of roasters around the country off and on over the years (and even found some I liked enough to return a few times), my go-to since the 1980s has been Intelligentsia.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #13 - July 18th, 2023, 8:04 am
    Post #13 - July 18th, 2023, 8:04 am Post #13 - July 18th, 2023, 8:04 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:I just bought a bag of of beans yesterday from Big Shoulders, a local roaster. The package is simply labelled "Uganda" (no farm or estate is named at all which I imagine suggests some kind of blend) and a dark roast (!) (I'm used to light roasts for single-origin beans). Just had it and am quite underwhelmed. It's "fine" but has little character at all; it's remarkably meh. I searched here and found almost nothing. Do others have any experience of these folks?

I've had their beans but it's been a while. I usually ask for recommendations from the staff. I seem to recall liking some of the beans and thinking "meh" for others. Have no idea what roasts though. Hopefully someone else will be more helpful. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #14 - July 18th, 2023, 10:00 am
    Post #14 - July 18th, 2023, 10:00 am Post #14 - July 18th, 2023, 10:00 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:I just bought a bag of of beans yesterday from Big Shoulders, a local roaster. The package is simply labelled "Uganda" (no farm or estate is named at all which I imagine suggests some kind of blend) and a dark roast (!) (I'm used to light roasts for single-origin beans). Just had it and am quite underwhelmed. It's "fine" but has little character at all; it's remarkably meh. I searched here and found almost nothing. Do others have any experience of these folks?

FWIW, although I have tried beans from a variety of roasters around the country off and on over the years (and even found some I liked enough to return a few times), my go-to since the 1980s has been Intelligentsia.

Personally, not a fan of Big Shoulders, maybe unfairly, because it’s the kiosk nearest to my typical gate at Midway and the coffee drinks are consistently abysmal.

But seems like there were plenty of clues that this wasn’t going to be to your taste (lack of designation, dark roast, etc.).

We tend to stick with roasters we know and branch out in trying different options they offer. We also will buy bags of beans from places we discover traveling whose coffee we like at the shop. But we seek out beans with descriptions for the type of coffee we like (not too floral, no cherry-flavor, no dark roast; chocolate/caramel/baking spices/stone fruit all good) so that we minimize the risk.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #15 - July 18th, 2023, 10:29 am
    Post #15 - July 18th, 2023, 10:29 am Post #15 - July 18th, 2023, 10:29 am
    Fully aware that neighborhood bias is in effect, but Bru coffeeworks in Albany Park / Lincoln Square has some of the best coffee in the city!

My go to beans now that I found out my previous favorite that I ordered from was funded by a shitty organization
  • Post #16 - July 18th, 2023, 4:16 pm
    Post #16 - July 18th, 2023, 4:16 pm Post #16 - July 18th, 2023, 4:16 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Fully aware that neighborhood bias is in effect, but Bru coffeeworks in Albany Park / Lincoln Square has some of the best coffee in the city!

My go to beans now that I found out my previous favorite that I ordered from was funded by a shitty organization

I can walk to Bru but have never been. I should try sometime.

I have a subscription from Anticonquista Cafe and their coffee is fantastic. They're also at farmers markets in Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, among others.
  • Post #17 - July 19th, 2023, 5:36 pm
    Post #17 - July 19th, 2023, 5:36 pm Post #17 - July 19th, 2023, 5:36 pm
    Has anybody tried the coffee from the new vendor at the Evanston farmer's Market? I think the owners are originally from Kenya. I am not sure if they also sell whole beans, but I know they sell cups of coffee, and they have a seating area where you can drink their coffee. The other coffee place that used to be at the Evanston market, could not find anybody to work the Evanston market. The people from Kenya charge $5 for a cup of coffee, which is more than I am willing to spend, but I see lots of people buying it.
  • Post #18 - July 20th, 2023, 3:58 pm
    Post #18 - July 20th, 2023, 3:58 pm Post #18 - July 20th, 2023, 3:58 pm
    NFriday wrote:Has anybody tried the coffee from the new vendor at the Evanston farmer's Market? I think the owners are originally from Kenya. I am not sure if they also sell whole beans, but I know they sell cups of coffee, and they have a seating area where you can drink their coffee. The other coffee place that used to be at the Evanston market, could not find anybody to work the Evanston market. The people from Kenya charge $5 for a cup of coffee, which is more than I am willing to spend, but I see lots of people buying it.

Haven’t tried it, they’re at a few different farmers markets.

https://www.kikwetu.coffee/collections/frontpage

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more