LTH Home

Goose Island and Bud

Goose Island and Bud
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - March 31st, 2011, 10:24 am
    Post #61 - March 31st, 2011, 10:24 am Post #61 - March 31st, 2011, 10:24 am
    Since canning was mentioned upthread - and in light on Revolution's 35K sq. foot announcement this week - it's worth mentioning that Larry Bell has announced that Bell's will begin canning, too:
    We are happy to announce that with our current brewery expansion, we are also installing a canning line as an additional packaging option for some of our brands. Final decisions on can size and brands have not been made yet. We're excited to offer Bell's drinkers a way to bring Bell's safely to the beach, the golf course, sports arenas, and poolside (just to name a few options). Look for more updates on Bell's cans as we near the completion of our expansion in 2012. Cheers!

Apparently, the canning line is expected to run at a rate of 500 cans/minute - their current bottling line runs at 260 bottles/minute. Like it or not, expect to see more cans as breweries struggle to increase production to meet current (and growing) demand.
    Last edited by danimalarkey on March 31st, 2011, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #62 - March 31st, 2011, 12:03 pm
    Post #62 - March 31st, 2011, 12:03 pm Post #62 - March 31st, 2011, 12:03 pm
    danimalarkey wrote:Since canning was mentioned upthread - and in light on Revolution's 35K sq. foot announcement this week - it's worth mentioning that Larry Bell has announced that [url=http://www.bellsbeer.com/news/22-Bell's%20Brewery%20to%20begin%20canning%20in%202012Bell's will begin canning[/url], too:
    We are happy to announce that with our current brewery expansion, we are also installing a canning line as an additional packaging option for some of our brands. Final decisions on can size and brands have not been made yet. We're excited to offer Bell's drinkers a way to bring Bell's safely to the beach, the golf course, sports arenas, and poolside (just to name a few options). Look for more updates on Bell's cans as we near the completion of our expansion in 2012. Cheers!

Apparently, the canning line is expected to run at a rate of 500 cans/minute - their current bottling line runs at 260 bottles/minute. Like it or not, expect to see more cans as breweries struggle to increase production to meet current (and growing) demand.

Bottles/cans, it does't matter much to me. In theory cans should be a better container because of zero light transmission, but not as good for long term storage because of possible reactions. So no aging in cans!

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #63 - March 31st, 2011, 12:10 pm
    Post #63 - March 31st, 2011, 12:10 pm Post #63 - March 31st, 2011, 12:10 pm
    headcase wrote:
    danimalarkey wrote:Since canning was mentioned upthread - and in light on Revolution's 35K sq. foot announcement this week - it's worth mentioning that Larry Bell has announced that [url=http://www.bellsbeer.com/news/22-Bell's%20Brewery%20to%20begin%20canning%20in%202012Bell's will begin canning[/url], too:

Bottles/cans, it does't matter much to me. In theory cans should be a better container because of zero light transmission, but not as good for long term storage because of possible reactions. So no aging in cans!

SSDD

Not sure about real long term aging, probably because there hasn't been anything worth aging that long in a can. But I just had a 2 year old can of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy about a month ago that tasted phenomenal.
  • Post #64 - March 31st, 2011, 12:35 pm
    Post #64 - March 31st, 2011, 12:35 pm Post #64 - March 31st, 2011, 12:35 pm
    the wimperoo wrote:Not sure about real long term aging, probably because there hasn't been anything worth aging that long in a can. But I just had a 2 year old can of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy about a month ago that tasted phenomenal.

Fair enough, I just thought I would address what seems to be the main complaint against cans, that it imparts a taste to the beverage in question.

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

• Post #65 - March 31st, 2011, 12:50 pm
    Post #65 - March 31st, 2011, 12:50 pm Post #65 - March 31st, 2011, 12:50 pm
    I wonder if some types of beers (specifically adjunct lagers) are more likely to take on a tinny taste from cans than other types of beers, either because the flavors themselves are less bold or because there is something in the nature of the beer that leads to greater permeation of can taste. Perhaps higher alcohol and/or hoppier beers are less likely to be adversely affected from a taste perspective by residing in cans.
  • Post #66 - March 31st, 2011, 1:07 pm
    Post #66 - March 31st, 2011, 1:07 pm Post #66 - March 31st, 2011, 1:07 pm
    Curious about BPA in cans I found the following somewhat interesting:

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/0 ... ns_and_bpa
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #67 - April 2nd, 2011, 3:47 pm
    Post #67 - April 2nd, 2011, 3:47 pm Post #67 - April 2nd, 2011, 3:47 pm
    nr706 wrote:If they ever put Bourbon County Stout in a twist-off, that's when I'll swear off Goose. Doubt it'll happen.

Actually, in previous years, the 12 oz. BCS bottles were twist-off. They only switched to non-twist off in the past year or two.
  • Post #68 - July 12th, 2011, 6:05 pm
    Post #68 - July 12th, 2011, 6:05 pm Post #68 - July 12th, 2011, 6:05 pm
    From Grubstreet:

Don't be too alarmed, but it appears that Anheuser-Busch InBev has already trademarked telephone area codes in fifteen cities, including 415 (San Francisco), 305 (Miami), 602 (Phoenix), 702 (Las Vegas), 202 (Washington, D.C.), and even 314 (St. Louis). Why would the largest global brewer want to snatch up the digits for many of the country's biggest cities? Well, to sell beer, of course.

Read more at Why Is Anheuser-Busch InBev Trademarking Area Codes?
  • Post #69 - July 29th, 2011, 1:33 pm
    Post #69 - July 29th, 2011, 1:33 pm Post #69 - July 29th, 2011, 1:33 pm
    The Trib is reporting that Goose is shifting production of 312 to New York:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 2143.story

As mentioned in the post, their IPA and Honkers Ale are already produced elsewhere. Also, it's not like I personally buy 312, the IPA or Honkers, nor are they aiming to shut anything down locally. Still, I'm sure this is going to get some people howling about how Goose will keep on changing despite Hall's protestations to the contrary when the sale went through.

And even then... I just feel kind of ambivalent (if it wasn't so slow at work, I probably wouldn't be saying much here at all!). The only beer I look forward to from Goose anymore is Bourbon County Stout (and its variations). I think Sofie is good but I can't remember the last time I bought any to drink at home. I think my other favorites from Goose are all limited/special event/draft-only releases. Even the brewpub has been falling pretty short for me lately -- while the exposure stemming from all of the chef and Green City Market collaborations is nice and all, I'm not seeing results that are particularly memorable.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #70 - July 29th, 2011, 2:13 pm
    Post #70 - July 29th, 2011, 2:13 pm Post #70 - July 29th, 2011, 2:13 pm
    Sounds to me like they're going to focus the local brewery on more stuff like BCS instead of 312/Honker's/etc. Sounds like a good thing to me.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #71 - July 29th, 2011, 3:42 pm
    Post #71 - July 29th, 2011, 3:42 pm Post #71 - July 29th, 2011, 3:42 pm
    gleam wrote:Sounds to me like they're going to focus the local brewery on more stuff like BCS instead of 312/Honker's/etc. Sounds like a good thing to me.

Well, recall that this was done in order to expand production anyhow. From what I've heard, they are really going to be pushing the line of Belgian beers. I anticipate an increase in production of beers like Sofie & Matilda, along with the newly added Marisol (which I really am not a fan of). Hopefully, this will also result in an expansion of the barrel program for beers like Juliet and Madame Rose, which seemed underproduced last year. At any rate, things seem to be going well with minimal disruption from what I can gather.
  • Post #72 - July 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm
    Post #72 - July 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm Post #72 - July 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm
    gleam wrote:Sounds to me like they're going to focus the local brewery on more stuff like BCS instead of 312/Honker's/etc. Sounds like a good thing to me.

Yeah, I do agree -- and on the whole, this seems like a good thing for getting more of their better (IMO) beers out there. This will also allow them to follow through with promises to make Christmas Ale and Hex Nut again. Which, again, positive result.

Now if only they would make more Scully, Dominique, Minx and more single-hop Green Lines, I'd really get excited about Goose again!
    best,
    dan
  • Post #73 - November 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
    Post #73 - November 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm Post #73 - November 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
    Might as well post here -- 2011 Bourbon County Brand Stout is in the city. My understanding is that this is first of two batches for the 2011 vintage. There's a (relatively) little amount now with an additional batch slated for February that is supposed to be much larger. Chicago wasn't due to get that much this time around until retailers raised a (deserved) ruckus so the city should see a lot more than initially thought. Not that I have any clue what that actually means in specific numbers.

Binny's in Lincoln Park got some earlier today and assorted tweets indicate that the South Loop location also received a shipment -- and abruptly sold out of it. I picked up a 4-pack from the Gold Coast Whole Foods for $19.99. The River North Binny's is expecting some tomorrow. King Henry may or may not be shipping with the BCBS, too (the Whole Foods guy suggested next week -- Binny's Lincoln Park got some in yesterday) -- that retailed for $12.99.

Also, fun fact for the King Henry -- it was aged in the barrels used for Rare Bourbon County Stout (ie. Pappy Van Winkle 23 bourbon barrels).
    best,
    dan
  • Post #74 - November 30th, 2011, 2:08 pm
    Post #74 - November 30th, 2011, 2:08 pm Post #74 - November 30th, 2011, 2:08 pm
    Another fun fact for King Henry: your fun fact was the reason I immediately rushed to that tap upon entrance to FoBAB a few weeks ago :D
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #75 - December 1st, 2011, 11:05 am
    Post #75 - December 1st, 2011, 11:05 am Post #75 - December 1st, 2011, 11:05 am
    been trying to hunt down some BCS and not having much luck....if anyone happens to have a couple spare bottles or even a 4-pack, please let me know. seems like such hard work these days....perhaps it'll be easier to come by in february.
  • Post #76 - December 1st, 2011, 11:26 am
    Post #76 - December 1st, 2011, 11:26 am Post #76 - December 1st, 2011, 11:26 am
    Check your smaller stores that carry craft beer. I've had better luck there rather than Binny's who was only selling one bottle of BCS at a time.

King Henry on the other hand has been a giant pain to get. If anyone has any Western Burbs sightings let me know.
  • Post #77 - December 1st, 2011, 5:44 pm
    Post #77 - December 1st, 2011, 5:44 pm Post #77 - December 1st, 2011, 5:44 pm
    You may want to give West Lakeview Liquors a call. They seem to frequently have items in stock when Binnys is out.

Also, among the Binnys locations, I find Lincoln Park to give you the best chance of finding something. Plus, they rarely have a X per person rule that other locations seem to employ.
  • Post #78 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:25 pm
    Post #78 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:25 pm Post #78 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:25 pm
    danimalarkey wrote:Binny's in Lincoln Park got some earlier today and assorted tweets indicate that the South Loop location also received a shipment -- and abruptly sold out of it. I picked up a 4-pack from the Gold Coast Whole Foods for $19.99. The River North Binny's is expecting some tomorrow. King Henry may or may not be shipping with the BCBS, too (the Whole Foods guy suggested next week -- Binny's Lincoln Park got some in yesterday) -- that retailed for $12.99.

Also, fun fact for the King Henry -- it was aged in the barrels used for Rare Bourbon County Stout (ie. Pappy Van Winkle 23 bourbon barrels).

King Henry for $12.99? Ouch for those who bought it at the Black Friday release for almost twice that much (I wasn't one of them).
  • Post #79 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:43 pm
    Post #79 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:43 pm Post #79 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:43 pm
    is it $12.99 for a 12oz bottle or a 22oz bomber?
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #80 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:48 pm
    Post #80 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:48 pm Post #80 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:48 pm
    AdmVinyl wrote:
    danimalarkey wrote:Binny's in Lincoln Park got some earlier today and assorted tweets indicate that the South Loop location also received a shipment -- and abruptly sold out of it. I picked up a 4-pack from the Gold Coast Whole Foods for $19.99. The River North Binny's is expecting some tomorrow. King Henry may or may not be shipping with the BCBS, too (the Whole Foods guy suggested next week -- Binny's Lincoln Park got some in yesterday) -- that retailed for $12.99.

King Henry for $12.99? Ouch for those who bought it at the Black Friday release for almost twice that much (I wasn't one of them).

There's something to be said for paying the premium of knowing where and when to find it rather than scrambling all over city hunting down allocations. Is the time/gas spent worth $12? Maybe? Depends? Of course, from what I heard, the 3 bottle limit at the Black Friday event pretty quickly was changed to 2 and then 1, so that premium decreased in value pretty rapidly.

And King Henry was released in 22oz. bottles while Bourbon County Brand Stout in 4-packs of 12oz. bottles. Some stores sold them as singles, in violation of Illinois liquor laws, I think (for those keeping score, I guess).

FWIW, I heard Pastoral received some, so it might be worth trying all three locations if anyone is still hunting.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #81 - December 16th, 2011, 8:31 am
    Post #81 - December 16th, 2011, 8:31 am Post #81 - December 16th, 2011, 8:31 am
    with much work, i was able to obtain 2 bottles of bourbon county but no luck on the King Henry barleywine....can anyone assist me with my search? would be a nice winter sipper to enjoy this season. cheers all.
  • Post #82 - July 6th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Post #82 - July 6th, 2012, 11:15 am Post #82 - July 6th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Chicago’s Goose Island Ramping Up Production By Nearly 50%
    Shanken News Daily wrote:Goose Island is increasing focus on its Bourbon County Brand Stout in particular this year, with plans to double production of the popular Bourbon barrel-aged beer. It’s also prepping the launch of Gillian, a new strawberry saison-style ale, for early 2013.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #83 - July 9th, 2012, 12:14 pm
    Post #83 - July 9th, 2012, 12:14 pm Post #83 - July 9th, 2012, 12:14 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Chicago’s Goose Island Ramping Up Production By Nearly 50%
    Shanken News Daily wrote:Goose Island is increasing focus on its Bourbon County Brand Stout in particular this year, with plans to double production of the popular Bourbon barrel-aged beer. It’s also prepping the launch of Gillian, a new strawberry saison-style ale, for early 2013.

=R=

Gillian is pretty delicious (it had also appeared at festivals as "Scully" before the name switch, someone loves X-Files) and it would be nice if I could go to the store and buy Bourbon County again without having to get on a list or know the owner or know exactly what day and time the distribution truck shows up at a store.
  • Post #84 - July 10th, 2012, 1:11 pm
    Post #84 - July 10th, 2012, 1:11 pm Post #84 - July 10th, 2012, 1:11 pm
    AdmVinyl wrote:Gillian is pretty delicious (it had also appeared at festivals as "Scully" before the name switch, someone loves X-Files)...

This may be completely apocryphal, but Gillian Anderson supposedly worked at the brewpub while attending DePaul. I suspect that when Goose decided to bottle Scully, they didn't want any issues with IP and changed the name to Gillian.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #85 - July 23rd, 2012, 4:57 am
    Post #85 - July 23rd, 2012, 4:57 am Post #85 - July 23rd, 2012, 4:57 am
    Ran across this this morning in one of my feeds, GI just got a permit to build out a(n other?) bottling room in their Fulton facility....

To Everyblock

SSDD

• Post #86 - November 27th, 2012, 1:16 pm
    Post #86 - November 27th, 2012, 1:16 pm Post #86 - November 27th, 2012, 1:16 pm
    I've been a pretty steady supporter of Goose Island since the buy-out but there have been a flurry of big staffing changes recently that... well, I'm just wondering what's next for the company. Their number 3 person, John Hall (not related to Goose's founding family) is now at 5 Rabbit; John Hall (the founder) will be retiring soon; their COO is also leaving; and now their head barrel-wrangler is off to start his own brewery: http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 8177.story

Again, not to turn into a Chicken Little here and start claiming that the brewery is going to start declining and all that -- and I, frankly, can only speculate about how deep the Goose Island bench is, talent-wise -- but that seems like a lot of senior people who are leaving/have already left. Of course, having said that, the beer that Off Color is looking to make sounds really, really interesting and as much as I like BCS and Sofie, I like trying new things, too.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #87 - November 27th, 2012, 2:38 pm
    Post #87 - November 27th, 2012, 2:38 pm Post #87 - November 27th, 2012, 2:38 pm
    danimalarkey wrote:Of course, having said that, the beer that Off Color is looking to make sounds really, really interesting and as much as I like BCS and Sofie, I like trying new things, too.

Not going to speculate on the rest of this, but I concur completely with this.

SSDD

• Post #88 - June 20th, 2013, 3:30 pm
    Post #88 - June 20th, 2013, 3:30 pm Post #88 - June 20th, 2013, 3:30 pm
    Goose Island Brewery, which was sold to Anheuser-Busch in 2011, will close its location on North Clybourn in Lincoln Park after 25 years,
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130620/BLOGS09/130629988/goose-island-closing
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #89 - June 20th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Post #89 - June 20th, 2013, 3:44 pm Post #89 - June 20th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Goose Island Brewery, which was sold to Anheuser-Busch in 2011, will close its location on North Clybourn in Lincoln Park after 25 years,
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130620/BLOGS09/130629988/goose-island-closing

Or maybe not: http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 1712.story
    best,
    dan
  • Post #90 - June 21st, 2013, 5:06 am
    Post #90 - June 21st, 2013, 5:06 am Post #90 - June 21st, 2013, 5:06 am
    Bud didn't buy the brewpubs - they're owned by Chicago Brewpubs.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more