LTH Home

Local snails

Local snails
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Local snails

Post #1 - April 12th, 2021, 11:51 am
    Post #1 - April 12th, 2021, 11:51 am Post #1 - April 12th, 2021, 11:51 am
    Hi,

Has anyone collected snails to eat from Illinois or elsewhere?

Here is information on local snails.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - April 12th, 2021, 9:14 pm
    Post #2 - April 12th, 2021, 9:14 pm Post #2 - April 12th, 2021, 9:14 pm
    They are here ... somewhere!

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #3 - April 17th, 2021, 3:34 am
    Post #3 - April 17th, 2021, 3:34 am Post #3 - April 17th, 2021, 3:34 am
    Silence is golden and probably just about right, too.

Four snail species that are farmed, though not necessarily in the USA. You can find on this website information on starting a snail farm as well as articles and papers on snails.

If I had found this resource earlier, I would not have bothered to post.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #4 - April 17th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Post #4 - April 17th, 2021, 7:06 pm Post #4 - April 17th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Hi,

Today at 88 Market, they had live snails as well as periwinkels.

The snails are intended for a paella, so now I can finally consider making this dish.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #5 - April 24th, 2021, 2:31 pm
    Post #5 - April 24th, 2021, 2:31 pm Post #5 - April 24th, 2021, 2:31 pm
    80,000 Snails, 12 Tiny Electric Fences, and 1 Rediscovered Recipe for ‘Wallfish’
    “THEY CALL ME THE QUEEN of Snails,” Lyn Paxman says with a laugh as she guides me through her Somerset farm’s snail pens. As she talks about her free-range molluscs, she readies tiny electric fences and lays down salt traps for the approaching summer snail-herding season. Last year, Paxman’s prized Helix Aspersa Müller (the common garden snail) escaped and made short work of her vegetable patch. This year, she’s fortifying the farm.

Eating snails fell out of fashion long ago in England, but in Somerset, Paxman and her partner, Rob, are busy rearing tens of thousands of garden snails. To market molluscs to famously unadventurous English eaters, the Paxmans have also been reviving a curiously named, cider-soaked West Country dish known as wallfish—a long-forgotten English take on escargot that dates back centuries.
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more