LTH Home

Zavory Habanero and other hybrid oddities

Zavory Habanero and other hybrid oddities
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Zavory Habanero and other hybrid oddities

Post #1 - May 15th, 2008, 3:22 pm
    Post #1 - May 15th, 2008, 3:22 pm Post #1 - May 15th, 2008, 3:22 pm
    Just found a link to Burpee's newest habanero hybrid, which unfortunately for me is sold out! It's apparently a true habanero - but with only 100 scoville units: terrific for someone like me who loves the flavor of these little peppers, but hates the pain. Anybody see these around anywhere?

I thought this thread would also be a good place to start talking about interesting varieties of edible plants LTHers have discovered along the way: for instance, per the cilantro discussion on another thread, I just found Delfino Cilantro at Meineke's (didn't find any rau rom, but am poking around for it and will probably buy seed for next year) and duly added it to the back 40. It's a fernleaf version, but just as tender and flavorful as the standard variety, maybe slightly more fragrant. It does bolt, so I'll keep you posted on whether it lasts longer than the flatleaf.
  • Post #2 - May 20th, 2008, 3:53 pm
    Post #2 - May 20th, 2008, 3:53 pm Post #2 - May 20th, 2008, 3:53 pm
    Interesting. But it sure doesn't LOOK like a habanero!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... ages&gbv=2

The best habanero-ish fruity flavor I've ever tasted—and with ZERO heat— was in the roccotillo, seeds for which I got from Jean Andrews long ago. I ultimately let the line die out, but this year I'm trying the aji dulce from Solana Seeds, which looks (and sounds) like the genuine roccotillo:

It's habanero flavor on steroids, with a bit of sweetness. Wonderful pepper!

Geo

http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/hotpeppers.html
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #3 - May 22nd, 2008, 12:40 pm
    Post #3 - May 22nd, 2008, 12:40 pm Post #3 - May 22nd, 2008, 12:40 pm
    not too odd but I like the Biker BIlly Jalapenos from Burpee. Monster size pepper with really good heat
    First Place BBQ Sauce - 2010 NBBQA ( Natl BBQ Assoc) Awards of Excellence
  • Post #4 - May 22nd, 2008, 2:38 pm
    Post #4 - May 22nd, 2008, 2:38 pm Post #4 - May 22nd, 2008, 2:38 pm
    I've also been pleased with the Biker Billy: prolific, good heat -- unusual for a Jala this size, and the size helps them hold up well when charred on the grill.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - May 26th, 2008, 2:02 pm
    Post #5 - May 26th, 2008, 2:02 pm Post #5 - May 26th, 2008, 2:02 pm
    Last summer I grew Mustard Habaneros and Fatali peppers which I bought from Marianna's Seeds.

The Mustard Habs were smoky-sweet, but with great heat true to the Habanero line. The Fatalis were conical, yellow-orange in color and crinkly. They have a flavor similar to a Habanero, fruity but with big heat.

They grew slowly, and the yield was lower than I was expecting, but probably due to not enough intense sun & heat.
    - Mark

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon? Ham? Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more