LTH Home

Horseradish

Horseradish
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Horseradish

Post #1 - May 24th, 2013, 5:15 am
    Post #1 - May 24th, 2013, 5:15 am Post #1 - May 24th, 2013, 5:15 am
    Since I posted on the upcoming Horseradish Festival in Collinsville, Illinois (May 31- June 2), this article has come to my attention. I thought some of you intrepid gardeners might enjoy this account of growing horseradish from the NYT. A bit of history is included.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/garden/01horseradish.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #2 - May 24th, 2013, 9:07 am
    Post #2 - May 24th, 2013, 9:07 am Post #2 - May 24th, 2013, 9:07 am
    The important note was buried toward the end:
    As the old saying goes, if you plant horseradish, make sure you never want to move it. Even the smallest piece of root left in the ground can re-sprout and form another hefty plant. Some people extend the bed into a border of handsome green leaves on one side of their herb or vegetable garden.

Whatever you do, don’t plant horseradish next to some polite plant that will be quickly muscled out of existence. Keep this ebullient root at a distance, like bamboo. And give it plenty of sun.

I'm not currently growing it, but I was told that it most emphatically should be grown in containers, to prevent it from taking over your whole garden like an underground kudzu. (I only wish someone had said the same to me about horsetails which are running rampant on the east side of my house.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - August 22nd, 2013, 12:29 pm
    Post #3 - August 22nd, 2013, 12:29 pm Post #3 - August 22nd, 2013, 12:29 pm
    We love horseradish. We never thought about planting it until one week ago-we were in a garden in Melbourne, Australia and saw a plant. We have an organic garden in our yard and thought we should plant some. Glad to see the article and the LTH comments-we will be sure to plant it in a plce that will not spread. Thanks for the timely info!
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #4 - September 10th, 2013, 1:00 pm
    Post #4 - September 10th, 2013, 1:00 pm Post #4 - September 10th, 2013, 1:00 pm
    I once made the mistake of planting horseradish in my raised bed. Two years later that was all that I had, everything else had been overgrown. Took me another two years to eradicate it. I finally realized that if I were to bury a 5-gallon pail, leaving its rim about one ince above ground, I could plant the horseradish in the pail and all would be well. It worked.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #5 - April 9th, 2019, 7:19 pm
    Post #5 - April 9th, 2019, 7:19 pm Post #5 - April 9th, 2019, 7:19 pm
    How Gold’s Horseradish Came to Be a Passover Staple

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/dini ... -ios-share
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles