LTH Home

I have a question about compost

I have a question about compost
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • I have a question about compost

Post #1 - May 17th, 2019, 3:41 pm
    Post #1 - May 17th, 2019, 3:41 pm Post #1 - May 17th, 2019, 3:41 pm
    Hi- I have a garden I rent from the city of Evanston on McCormick. We just got an email from the gardening coordinator that the Metropolitan Water Reclamation district is dropping off a load of compost. This compost consists of garden waste and biosolids. At the Spring meeting last month, they had approached her about this. They were looking for a home for this compost. She expressed concern about the biosolids in it. They said that they had tested it and it was safe to use on veggie plants.

I am nervous about the biosolids landing in my garden where I am growing veggies. Does anybody know how safe this is? I would have no problem using it in a flower bed. Milorganite consists of biosolids, and you are not supposed to use it in edible gardens Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #2 - May 19th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    Post #2 - May 19th, 2019, 5:13 pm Post #2 - May 19th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    You may look at reddit for this--maybe folks in other municipalities have had experience with this. I'd be reticent, too, unless I had some extra assurance, or at the very least, couldn't find any horror stories elsewhere.
  • Post #3 - May 19th, 2019, 7:39 pm
    Post #3 - May 19th, 2019, 7:39 pm Post #3 - May 19th, 2019, 7:39 pm
    HI,

Why not contact University of Illinois Extension Master Gardeners? They offer research-based information, then decide what you are comfortable doing.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more