LTH Home

Good tomato variety for pizza sauce?

Good tomato variety for pizza sauce?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Good tomato variety for pizza sauce?

Post #1 - January 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm
    Post #1 - January 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm Post #1 - January 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm
    On a Facebook group I belong to, somebody just posted yesterday that he wondered what tomatoes would be good to use in homemade pizza sauce. I thought he meant that he wanted to make it now. I said he should use canned tomatoes right now, but use plum tomatoes during tomato season. I found out that he was wondering what varieties of tomatoes he should plant in his garden to use when making pizza sauce. Somebody else mentioned brandywine. The problem with brandywine tomatoes is that they are an heirloom, and most heirloom tomato plants don't produce a huge crop. Are there any other varieties of tomatoes he should plant? I have never made my own pizza sauce. Thanks Nancy
  • Post #2 - January 13th, 2021, 6:41 pm
    Post #2 - January 13th, 2021, 6:41 pm Post #2 - January 13th, 2021, 6:41 pm
    San Marzano. I think of pizza sauce and tomato sauce in a similar vein.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #3 - January 13th, 2021, 8:36 pm
    Post #3 - January 13th, 2021, 8:36 pm Post #3 - January 13th, 2021, 8:36 pm
    -- deleted, this post was written thinking it was in the Shopping, not Gardening, forum --
    Last edited by JoelF on January 14th, 2021, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - January 14th, 2021, 8:05 am
    Post #4 - January 14th, 2021, 8:05 am Post #4 - January 14th, 2021, 8:05 am
    Bon Appétit did a series on youtube in 2019 called "Making Perfect Pizza", in the sauce episode they tried out a variety of tomatoes and found that plum tomatoes gave them the best result (least watery). They ended up going with a sauce made from Bianco DiNapoli canned tomatoes which area Whole Foods recently began stocking in our area.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more