LTH Home

Herb Plants

Herb Plants
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Herb Plants

Post #1 - October 2nd, 2021, 1:56 pm
    Post #1 - October 2nd, 2021, 1:56 pm Post #1 - October 2nd, 2021, 1:56 pm
    I'm looking for live herb plants for an indoor window box for the winter. Pesche's is all out for the season.

Has anyone seen anything recently? It's all mums and kale here. If like to have sage, rosemary and thyme (parsley is cheap and I don't use it much)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - October 2nd, 2021, 2:04 pm
    Post #2 - October 2nd, 2021, 2:04 pm Post #2 - October 2nd, 2021, 2:04 pm
    JoelF wrote:I'm looking for live herb plants for an indoor window box for the winter. Pesche's is all out for the season.

Has anyone seen anything recently? It's all mums and kale here. If like to have sage, rosemary and thyme (parsley is cheap and I don't use it much)

Have you tried Meinke Garden Center in Niles? I haven't been there in a few months but it's certainly worth a call.

=R=

5803 W Touhy Ave
    Niles, IL 60714
    (847) 647-9455
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - October 2nd, 2021, 5:45 pm
    Post #3 - October 2nd, 2021, 5:45 pm Post #3 - October 2nd, 2021, 5:45 pm
    Have you looked for herb plants at the farmers market? I know they have fresh herbs, but I am not sure if they still carry herb plants. Also you might also check Lowe's. Uhrhausen in Lincolnwood might still have them too, but they are on their fall winter schedule, and so they are only open M-F. 1-847-675-1753. I would call them first before you show up there. They are located at 6973 N E. Prairie in Lincolnwood.

If you ever make it to Wisconsin you might try Anton's which is right across the state line. It is owned by the brother of Gary Anton who used to have a garden center in Evanston by the same name. I was sad when he closed after 75 years a few years ago.
  • Post #4 - October 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm
    Post #4 - October 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm Post #4 - October 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm
    I noticed one of the farmer's at the Evanston farmer's market was selling sage plants today. It was the guy I bought the fresh basil from. I have no idea how much they were. He did not have prices on anything.
  • Post #5 - October 23rd, 2021, 7:35 pm
    Post #5 - October 23rd, 2021, 7:35 pm Post #5 - October 23rd, 2021, 7:35 pm
    I ended up with sage and thyme from Lurvey's in Des Plaines, and Mariano's had a very robust and inexpensive rosemary.

I just brought them inside (they're in a window box), along with my makrut lime, and an attempt at potting one of the three shishito plants but I fear I didn't go deep enough.

Harvested all the tomatoes bigger than a ping pong ball even if they haven't gotten to breaker (pickle or fry or counter ripen), about a quart of shishitos and a half dozen sweet peppers (the jalas all went to baked poppers a week ago). There's still kale and Brussels sprouts out there.

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - December 21st, 2021, 6:04 pm
    Post #6 - December 21st, 2021, 6:04 pm Post #6 - December 21st, 2021, 6:04 pm
    Missed this thread but I'll add that the potted herbs at Trader Joe's and Mariano's, albeit limited in selection, are always a great deal. Come planting season Mariano's runs a 2 for $5 deal on pretty robust basil, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, parsley and some others. Takes our herb garden from barren to lush (ish) almost instantly. Costco also has a large pot of rosemary in the spring. Ours has survived several winters.
  • Post #7 - June 29th, 2023, 9:36 pm
    Post #7 - June 29th, 2023, 9:36 pm Post #7 - June 29th, 2023, 9:36 pm
    Trader Joe's has really nice 4" basil plants for $3.99, and has smaller mint and flat leaf parsley plants for $2.49. I bought four basil plants, but I ran out of pots, and so I had to crowd them in more than I would have liked. Somebody said that Jerry's has 4" herb plants for $1.50, but I am sure they are not nearly as nice.
  • Post #8 - June 30th, 2023, 9:20 am
    Post #8 - June 30th, 2023, 9:20 am Post #8 - June 30th, 2023, 9:20 am
    My Ace Hardware (and I think they are all in "sale" mode) has all herbs and vegetable plants on sale for half off -- and all other plants are 20% off. Some are getting a little pot bound, but all are healthy--including a wide array of chiles.
    Last edited by Cynthia on June 30th, 2023, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #9 - June 30th, 2023, 9:45 am
    Post #9 - June 30th, 2023, 9:45 am Post #9 - June 30th, 2023, 9:45 am
    Actually the Jerry's plants were all quite nice. They are probably some of the many many leftovers from a more high end nursery. I've noticed that everywhere is overrun with plants for almost July.

At Jerry's they were very mixed up so, as often happens there, much digging is required to find the gems. On the good side, they were all outdoors in the Milwaukee Av parking battleground. If only plants and outdoor specials (including 50¢ boxes of Israeli egg matziot which were quite good) are wanted, one can go in the out door and avoid the gauntlet.
  • Post #10 - July 7th, 2023, 10:43 pm
    Post #10 - July 7th, 2023, 10:43 pm Post #10 - July 7th, 2023, 10:43 pm
    I was in the neighborhood, and so I stopped at Jerry's to look at the cheap herb plants, and I did not see any there. They must have sold all of them. They did have Washington cherries for $.49 a pound, and California blueberries 2/$1. I looked at the cherries, and they did not look great, and so I decided to pass on them. I passed on the blueberries too. They also had New Jersey blueberries for two pints for $3. It was crazy busy there yesterday, and I was reminded why I rarely go to Jerry's. Even if I would have bought some herb plants, I still would have had to enter the store to pay for them, and so there is no way I could have avoided the crowds.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more