LTH Home

Why the redesign???

Why the redesign???
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Why the redesign???

Post #1 - March 22nd, 2016, 6:02 pm
    Post #1 - March 22nd, 2016, 6:02 pm Post #1 - March 22nd, 2016, 6:02 pm
    I know you really don't care, but I need to vent.

As with several other web sites that I use, you felt the need to fix something that wasn't broken and, in the process, broke it.

I cannot imagine why you went to all this work.
  • Post #2 - March 27th, 2016, 8:20 pm
    Post #2 - March 27th, 2016, 8:20 pm Post #2 - March 27th, 2016, 8:20 pm
    I agree lougord99, this site is now almost unusable for me with an iphone. The pages don't fit the screen and can't be resized, there is no ability to quote a previous post, imbedded images don't work, and the icons overlay the text. And this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

A classic case of breaking something that wasn't broke.

And yes, I don't think the owners care one whit about the users.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #3 - March 27th, 2016, 8:49 pm
    Post #3 - March 27th, 2016, 8:49 pm Post #3 - March 27th, 2016, 8:49 pm
    imsscott wrote:And yes, I don't think the owners care one whit about the users.

I'm really sad to read this and nothing could be further from the truth. Everything we do here - the countless hours we put into the site and the thousands of dollars we've spent (out of our own pockets), etc. - should indicate how much we care about LTH, its members and our community. I certainly don't expect any sympathy but an assertion like this is just too much for me to ignore.

I'm sorry that things aren't moving fast enough for you but things have been remarkably busy for Matt and I outside of LTH. We look forward to continuing to do whatever we can to make the site as useful and usable as it can be.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Owners
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - March 27th, 2016, 9:04 pm
    Post #4 - March 27th, 2016, 9:04 pm Post #4 - March 27th, 2016, 9:04 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

I'm really sad to read this and nothing could be further from the truth. Everything we do here - the countless hours we put into the site and the thousands of dollars we've spent (out of our own pockets), etc. - should indicate how much we care about LTH, its members and our community. I certainly don't expect any sympathy but an assertion like this is just too much for me to ignore.

I'm sorry that things aren't moving fast enough for you but things have been remarkably busy for Matt and I outside of LTH. We look forward to continuing to do whatever we can to make the site as useful and usable as it can be.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Owners

The caring is no doubt there. But for some reason a decision appears to have been made to keep it under wraps in regard to repairing imperfections in the redesign.

Can I suggest this:

Since finding time for this voluntary repair work is apparently difficult, fix things one at a time. When each fix is made, no matter how trivial it may appear to those who make it, ANNOUNCE IT!!!!!!!

That way, users will know that their concerns have been noted, are regarded as important, and will be addressed. Which, human nature being as it is, many users will otherwise doubt.
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #5 - March 27th, 2016, 9:44 pm
    Post #5 - March 27th, 2016, 9:44 pm Post #5 - March 27th, 2016, 9:44 pm
    Roger Ramjet wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Owners

The caring is no doubt there. But for some reason a decision appears to have been made to keep it under wraps in regard to repairing imperfections in the redesign.

Can I suggest this:

Since finding time for this voluntary repair work is apparently difficult, fix things one at a time. When each fix is made, no matter how trivial it may appear to those who make it, ANNOUNCE IT!!!!!!!

That way, users will know that their concerns have been noted, are regarded as important, and will be addressed. Which, human nature being as it is, many users will otherwise doubt.

Thanks - we really do care.

Our plan is to treat the entire bundle of tweaks, repairs, modifications, etc. as a new release (which we will do our best to document in full after we complete it). Immediately after the redesign launched, we tried to address items as they were mentioned but for obvious reasons that quickly became unworkable. The work is not necessarily difficult but it is time-consuming and handling it all at once is the most efficient path, though not necessarily the fastest.

We don't have everything entirely mapped out yet but our plan is to give the highest priority to items that have been mentioned most frequently. The verticality of the site and the visual contrast levels are a few items that will clearly be at the top of the list. Of course, there are others, too and yes Ted, the italics will be restored :wink:. For those of you who don't like the new logo, well . . . sorry. You'll have to live with it.

The hardest part of all of this is carving out time to get the work done. Because people use the site in such a wide variety of ways and from such a varying number of browsers, devices and platforms, implementing bulletproof changes takes time. So, we hope it's enough to pledge here that we will get it done. Unfortunately, we just cannot commit to a firm timetable but we do care immensely about our members. In fact, everything we have done and will continue to do here is in an effort to improve the site and the LTH experience for them. We're sorry if anyone feels let down but please know that we are definitely listening and that we really do care.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Owners
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - March 28th, 2016, 10:16 am
    Post #6 - March 28th, 2016, 10:16 am Post #6 - March 28th, 2016, 10:16 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:...and yes Ted, the italics will be restored :wink:.

Never doubted it. :)

Appreciate all you're doing.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #7 - April 14th, 2016, 12:50 pm
    Post #7 - April 14th, 2016, 12:50 pm Post #7 - April 14th, 2016, 12:50 pm
    The comment that the owners don't care shows how little the person making that comment knows about LTH.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more