LTH Home

In Memory of Evan Garfinkel

In Memory of Evan Garfinkel
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • In Memory of Evan Garfinkel

Post #1 - November 10th, 2006, 1:21 pm
    Post #1 - November 10th, 2006, 1:21 pm Post #1 - November 10th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Evan Garfinkel 1975 - 2006

On Friday, 3 November, 2006, Evan Garfinkel, known here on LTHForum as the hungryrabbi, died in Las Vegas. Evan had many talents and also many friends. We, his friends, will always miss him and will regret that we will not have the chance to see what his talents would have brought us in the years to come.

Evan touched many people in a remarkably diverse number of ways. To me he was more than just a dear friend, he was also in many ways a kindred spirit, someone whom I daily thought of and wanted to speak to about all manner of things that come up: music -- Evan was a highly gifted drummer and me, a long retired one of more limited talents -- and food -- we shared many loves, from broccoli rabe to bagels, from Bratkartoffeln to, of course, pizza -- writing, languages... We both thought it funny that two guys from Jersey, one a Jew, the other an Italian, routinely spoke and wrote to one another in German. We both studied and love deeply German literature and so I'll offer in memory of one of my best friends a translation of one of my favourite poems by one of my favourite poets.

Denn nirgend bleibt er.
    Es fesselt
    Kein Zeichen.
    Nicht immer
    Ein Gefäß ihn zu fassen.*

A

Mnemosyne
    Third Version

Ripe, in fire dipped, cooked are
    the fruits and tested on the earth and there is a law,
    prophetic, that everything passes into it,
    serpent like, dreaming on
    the hills of the heavens. And much is,
    like a load of logs
    upon the shoulders,
    to be retained. But evil are
    the paths. Namely astray,
    like horses, go the imprisoned
    elements and ancient
    laws of the earth. And always
    into the unbound goes a yearning. Yet much is
    to be retained. And of necessity faith.
    Forward, however, and back we do not want
    to look. Let us be cradled, as
    in a rocking boat on the sea.

Yet how the beloved? Sunshine
    on the ground we see and dry dust
    and, as at home, the shadows of the forests and there
    blooms on roofs the smoke by the ancient crowns
    of towers, peacefully; namely good they are
    when the soul, objecting,
    wounds a heavenly one, the signs of the day.
    For snow, like lilies of the valley
    pointing out where
    the noble-minded be, shines upon
    the green meadow of the Alps
    by half, while, speaking of the cross which
    once was placed by the wayside for
    those who have died, on a high road
    a traveller fares in anger,
    foreseeing from afar,
    with another, but what is this?

By the figtree my Achilles
    has died on me,
    and Ajax lies
    by the grottoes of the sea,
    by brooks, neighboured by Skamandros.
    By cause of the roaring in his temples,
    according the constant custom
    of unmoved Salamis, on foreign soil,
    has great Ajax died,
    as Patroklos has, though in a King’s armour.
    And there died many others too. But by Kithairon
    Eleutherai stood, Mnemosyne’s city. From her too,
    when God took off his cloak, the evening one then cut
    loose her locks. For the Heavenly ones are
    indignant, if one has not gathered himself together,
    preserving his soul, though this he must;
    like him, mourning misses the mark.

Friedrich Hölderlin
    translation: A.F. Buccini

Mnemosyne
    Dritte Fassung

Reif sind, in Feuer getaucht, gekochet
    Die Frücht und auf der Erde geprüfet und ein Gesez ist
    Daß alles hineingeht, Schlangen gleich,
    Prophetisch, träumend auf
    Den Hügeln des Himmels. Und vieles
    Wie auf den Schultern eine
    Last von Scheitern ist
    Zu behalten. Aber bös sind
    Die Pfade. Nemlich unrecht,
    Wie Rosse, gehn die gefangenen
    Element’ und alten
    Geseze der Erd. Und immer
    Ins Ungebundene gehet eine Sehnsucht. Vieles aber ist
    Zu behalten. Und Noth die Treue.
    Vorwärts aber und rükwärts wollen wir
    Nicht sehn. Uns wiegen lassen, wie
    Auf schwankem Kahne der See.

Wie aber liebes? Sonnenschein
    Am Boden sehen wir und trokenen Staub
    Und heimatlich die Schatten der Wälder und es blühet
    An Dächern der Rauch, bei alter Krone
    Der Thürme, friedsam; gut sind nemlich
    Hat gegenredend die Seele
    Ein Himmlisches verwundet, die Tageszeichen.
    Denn Schnee, wie Majenblumen
    Das Edelmüthige, wo
    Es seie, bedeutend, glänzet auf
    Der grünen Wiese
    Der Alpen, hälftig, da, vom Kreuze redend, das
    Gesezt ist unterwegs einmal
    Gestorbenen, auf hoher Straß
    Ein Wandersmann geht zornig,
    Fern ahnend mit
    Dem andern, aber was ist diß?

Am Feigenbaum ist mein
    Achilles mir gestorben,
    Und Ajax liegt
    An den Grotten der See,
    An Bächen, benachbart dem Skamandros.
    An Schläfen Sausen einst, nach
    Der unbewegten Salamis steter
    Gewohnheit, in der Fremd’, ist groß
    Ajax gestorben,
    Patroklos aber in des Königes Harnisch. Und es starben
    Noch andere viel. Am Kithäron aber lag
    Elevtherä, der Mnemosyne Stadt. Der auch als
    Ablegte den Mantel Gott, das abendliche nachher löste
    Die Loken. Himmlische nemlich sind
    Unwillig, wenn einer nicht die Seele schonend sich
    Zusammengenommen, aber er muß doch; dem
    Gleich fehlet die Trauer.

FRIEDRICH HÖLDERLIN

* Again, from Hölderlin; my translation:
    For nowhere he abides,
    there binds
    no sign.
    Not ever
    a vessel to contain him.
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #2 - November 10th, 2006, 1:26 pm
    Post #2 - November 10th, 2006, 1:26 pm Post #2 - November 10th, 2006, 1:26 pm
    I am profoundly saddened by this news. My condolences to those who remain.

-ramon
  • Post #3 - November 10th, 2006, 1:29 pm
    Post #3 - November 10th, 2006, 1:29 pm Post #3 - November 10th, 2006, 1:29 pm
    Like Antonius, I am heartbroken at the news of Evan’s death. I can’t believe that we won’t hear his voice again in person, on the phone, or through his posts here on LTH.

I’ve been re-reading many of his LTH posts, missing him so much. No one else wrote like Evan!

This is my favorite thing that Evan wrote for LTH. It’s funny, manic, sweet and full of love, just like he was. And, fittingly, it’s about pizza.
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=59921

Amata
  • Post #4 - November 10th, 2006, 1:35 pm
    Post #4 - November 10th, 2006, 1:35 pm Post #4 - November 10th, 2006, 1:35 pm
    Thank God I met Evan and spent some little time with him while he was here. I thought the guy was a genius; a kind, generous, hilarious one.
  • Post #5 - November 10th, 2006, 2:22 pm
    Post #5 - November 10th, 2006, 2:22 pm Post #5 - November 10th, 2006, 2:22 pm
    This is saddening. My condolences. I always looked forward to his posts and hoped one day to meet him.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #6 - November 10th, 2006, 3:42 pm
    Post #6 - November 10th, 2006, 3:42 pm Post #6 - November 10th, 2006, 3:42 pm
    Amy, Tony, my condolences. What a terrible loss. And thank you, Amy, for directing us to that lovely post, which I had missed the first time around.
  • Post #7 - November 10th, 2006, 5:01 pm
    Post #7 - November 10th, 2006, 5:01 pm Post #7 - November 10th, 2006, 5:01 pm
    I haven't been on this forum very long and I haven't yet met any of you but I always so enjoyed the posts from hungryrabbi. The whole latest business with him getting a mention in the NY Times...it made me smile to read and I'm so sorry for all of you who were his friends. Losing someone is such a hard part of this existence of ours and please know that I'm thinking of your sadness right now. Words have such power but it's hard to find comfort in something like this.

Shannon
  • Post #8 - November 10th, 2006, 5:49 pm
    Post #8 - November 10th, 2006, 5:49 pm Post #8 - November 10th, 2006, 5:49 pm
    Sorry to hear about this...
  • Post #9 - November 10th, 2006, 10:26 pm
    Post #9 - November 10th, 2006, 10:26 pm Post #9 - November 10th, 2006, 10:26 pm
    I'll miss hungryrabbi.

R.I.P. Gus da Goose!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #10 - November 11th, 2006, 1:01 am
    Post #10 - November 11th, 2006, 1:01 am Post #10 - November 11th, 2006, 1:01 am
    I did not know hungryrabbi personally, but I have very much enjoyed his contributions to LTH. Few if any other posters here have made me laugh to the point of tears and feeling as though my sides might split. I am saddened to consider that there will be no more.

The sting of unexpected loss is hellish. To his friends, I offer my condolences.
  • Post #11 - November 11th, 2006, 1:12 am
    Post #11 - November 11th, 2006, 1:12 am Post #11 - November 11th, 2006, 1:12 am
    Condolences to his family and friends for their loss.

And thanks, Amy, for sharing a link to that touching piece of writing. It is--as some would say--the work of a mensch.

--Matt
  • Post #12 - November 11th, 2006, 8:10 am
    Post #12 - November 11th, 2006, 8:10 am Post #12 - November 11th, 2006, 8:10 am
    I knew Evan as a drummer, he and the rest of the Demons were frequent guests on Monday nights at Artis's. We spoke a few times about music, his knowledge was broad and deep. It was later on, after I left Chicago, when I read this post of his about his favorite coffee shop, that I combined the persons in my brain. Now I am dwelling on all the conversations not had. It's not like I knew him well, and he certainly wouldn't recognize me, but this is very painful all the same. I can only imagine how his friends feel. Tony, thank you for the beautiful elegy.
  • Post #13 - November 11th, 2006, 8:24 am
    Post #13 - November 11th, 2006, 8:24 am Post #13 - November 11th, 2006, 8:24 am
    My condolences to those who know him and also to those who enjoy his writing. I enjoy his posts very much - his writing belies his youth. I hope he is at peace.

Perhaps the thread title should be edited to include his screenname - I'm sure many would like to know but would not recognize his real name
    Last edited by sazerac on November 11th, 2006, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #14 - November 11th, 2006, 9:42 am
    Post #14 - November 11th, 2006, 9:42 am Post #14 - November 11th, 2006, 9:42 am
    I'm another poster who had some true "rolling on the floor, laughing" moments while reading hungryrabbi posts. My absolute favorite of his posts (the title was a classic)...
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7438&highlight=hard+shrimp
    He will really be missed on this board. My condolences to his family and friends.
  • Post #15 - November 11th, 2006, 5:05 pm
    Post #15 - November 11th, 2006, 5:05 pm Post #15 - November 11th, 2006, 5:05 pm
    I was so moved by Evan's Sonny's pizza postthat I PM'ed him to just to tell him what a great writer he was. He replied with a kind, self-effacing note that I have saved, of course. This news is very sad indeed.
  • Post #16 - November 11th, 2006, 5:09 pm
    Post #16 - November 11th, 2006, 5:09 pm Post #16 - November 11th, 2006, 5:09 pm
    Whenever the screenname hungryrabbi appeared on a thread my hand reflexively lurched for the mouse and I didn't return to what I was doing until I'd fully recovered from what was invariably brilliant and hilarious writing.

R.I.P.
  • Post #17 - November 11th, 2006, 10:09 pm
    Post #17 - November 11th, 2006, 10:09 pm Post #17 - November 11th, 2006, 10:09 pm
    It was my enormous good fortune to know Evan Garfinkel. He was a fine human being and his death is a deep sorrow.
  • Post #18 - November 12th, 2006, 8:33 pm
    Post #18 - November 12th, 2006, 8:33 pm Post #18 - November 12th, 2006, 8:33 pm
    I'm sorry to hear of Evan's death. i never had the chance to meet him. But, like many others, his posts here gave me many good laughs.
  • Post #19 - November 13th, 2006, 4:33 pm
    Post #19 - November 13th, 2006, 4:33 pm Post #19 - November 13th, 2006, 4:33 pm
    Hi everyone.. I met some of you about 2 years ago at a steakhouse with Evan... I just want to thank all of you for your kind words of rememberance..

I plan on being in Chicago sometime early in the new year, and there are some plans being discussed for some sort of memorial service.. if you'd like to know more, please contact me directly at ze3@qwertyuiop.com.. And since I am trying to keep the spam to a minimum, please replace the ".com" in the above address with a ".us".. that is the correct address for me..
    Live in Philly, Work in NYC, love Chicago..
  • Post #20 - November 13th, 2006, 5:18 pm
    Post #20 - November 13th, 2006, 5:18 pm Post #20 - November 13th, 2006, 5:18 pm
    binkley wrote:Hi everyone.. I met some of you about 2 years ago at a steakhouse with Evan... I just want to thank all of you for your kind words of rememberance..

I plan on being in Chicago sometime early in the new year, and there are some plans being discussed for some sort of memorial service.. if you'd like to know more, please contact me directly at ze3@qwertyuiop.com.. And since I am trying to keep the spam to a minimum, please replace the ".com" in the above address with a ".us".. that is the correct address for me..

Yes, the Gene & Georgetti's luncheon put together by JeffB. I sat by HR throughout lunch and had a great time listening and talking with Evan and the others.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #21 - November 13th, 2006, 6:42 pm
    Post #21 - November 13th, 2006, 6:42 pm Post #21 - November 13th, 2006, 6:42 pm
    Let me belatedly add my condolences to Evan's family and his friends. I, as so many others, enjoyed his writing. I still remember, in particular, reading the post that Amata linked to, above. And, witnessing the to-ing and fro-ing with Antonius, I looked forward to the day, someday, when I would have the opportunity to meet him.

Dave
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #22 - November 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm
    Post #22 - November 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm Post #22 - November 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm
    My absolute favorite of his posts (the title was a classic)...
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... ard+shrimp

My favorite too.
    I just read about hungryrabbi today. I didn't know him but I looked forward to his posts as I do many of yours. My passions combine food and the written word. Hungryrabbi generously shared both with us. He will be missed.
  • Post #23 - November 20th, 2006, 8:47 am
    Post #23 - November 20th, 2006, 8:47 am Post #23 - November 20th, 2006, 8:47 am
    Many thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts about Evan and the expressions of sympathy for his family and friends.

A memorial service for Evan in Chicago is planned to be held on Saturday, 20 January, starting at 12 noon. Further details will be available when arrangements are finalised.

If you are interested in attending, email or p.m. either me or Amata and we'll make sure you get the necessary information.

Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    ________
  • Post #24 - December 25th, 2006, 4:42 am
    Post #24 - December 25th, 2006, 4:42 am Post #24 - December 25th, 2006, 4:42 am
    Dear Friends -

On this day of peace, I've decided to set up a charitable fund at MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES in the name of Evan Garfinkel.
    The website is www.justgiving.com/hungryrabbi .
    I will be in Chicago on the 20th of Jan for the memorial.
    www.pamsparrots.com

Please give what you can.
    Thanks to you all.
    Barrie (Bruno) Garfinkel
    Cesseras, France
    +33468916692

PS. For all Americans - check out www.futurephone.com . A free and easy way to call France and other countries for the same price as calling Iowa. From your cellphone you can call us for FREE !!!
    In memory of my son, the HungryRabbi
  • Post #25 - January 16th, 2007, 6:33 pm
    Post #25 - January 16th, 2007, 6:33 pm Post #25 - January 16th, 2007, 6:33 pm
    Hello all,

I'm bumping this thread up with information about Evan's memorial service on Saturday, January 20. It will be at the Green Mill, from 1 to 5. (NB: not starting at noon, as was previously announced.) I'm sure that anyone who was touched by hungryrabbi's writings would be welcome to attend.

The Green Mill was one of Evan's favorite places to hang out and to play drums; they have donated the space for the memorial.

Please feel free to pm either me or Antonius if you need any more information.

Thanks,
    Amata

The Green Mill
    4802 N. Broadway Ave.
    Chicago, Illinois 60640
  • Post #26 - November 1st, 2007, 10:28 am
    Post #26 - November 1st, 2007, 10:28 am Post #26 - November 1st, 2007, 10:28 am
    Querido Evan,

una ofrenda para ti. Du fehlst uns sehr.

abrazos,
    A, A, & L

________
  • Post #27 - November 1st, 2007, 10:30 am
    Post #27 - November 1st, 2007, 10:30 am Post #27 - November 1st, 2007, 10:30 am
    Antonius,

A fitting tribute. Thank you.

-ramon

edited to correct spelling
    Last edited by Ramon on November 1st, 2007, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #28 - November 1st, 2007, 10:44 am
    Post #28 - November 1st, 2007, 10:44 am Post #28 - November 1st, 2007, 10:44 am
    Nice thought, nicely done.

One thing I really like about my kids' school/Chicago/2007 is that Halloween is followed by everyone bringing pictures of those who have gone before to school for Day of the Dead, which of course means I help the kids pick out a picture and talk about the family member we choose (this year, my grandfather, football player at Notre Dame in the 20s). What was a rather indistinct semi-holiday on the calendar for me as a kid (All Saints' Day) becomes a much more meaningful opportunity for reflection and sharing family history with my kids. And it's great that my kids take a Mexican tradition for their own as readily as they do food.

As Pigmon quoted his friend the other day, "Tradition...it's there because it works!"

Again, a lovely thought and tribute and thank you for sharing it.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #29 - November 1st, 2007, 11:01 am
    Post #29 - November 1st, 2007, 11:01 am Post #29 - November 1st, 2007, 11:01 am
    Is "Day of the Dead" celebrated on All Saints Day (November 1st) or All Souls Day (November 2nd)?
  • Post #30 - November 1st, 2007, 11:05 am
    Post #30 - November 1st, 2007, 11:05 am Post #30 - November 1st, 2007, 11:05 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:Is "Day of the Dead" celebrated on All Saints Day (November 1st) or All Souls Day (November 2nd)?

Both.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more