LTH Home

Tell me why I should move to Rogers Park

Tell me why I should move to Rogers Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • Tell me why I should move to Rogers Park

Post #1 - April 18th, 2007, 9:11 am
    Post #1 - April 18th, 2007, 9:11 am Post #1 - April 18th, 2007, 9:11 am
    The Metra stop seems appealing, but what is the food scene (restaurants. bars, grocery stores, etc.) in East Rogers Park, say around Lunt & Sheridan?
  • Post #2 - April 18th, 2007, 9:51 am
    Post #2 - April 18th, 2007, 9:51 am Post #2 - April 18th, 2007, 9:51 am
    Restaurants I like up here (not all in RP but close) are Cafe Salamera, Indie Cafe, lots of Indian on Devon St., Broadway Cellars is alright too. Big Buns and Pita has received good reviews here too but I've yet to go. The Heartland cafe is right near there and it's pretty decent.

Grocery stores are Devon Market and Rogers Park something something. I've never been to the RP one but Devon Market is great, I love the produce selection and their breads as well. If you are interested in a produce box CSA share you can sign up with Newleaf Natural Grocers, they have a small albeit comprehensive store. I get their smallest produce box for $15 a week (no long-term committment required) and I've been very happy with it.

Bars: Cunneen's is my favorite and I've heard good things about Duke's. I've been to the Red Line tap once and had a nice time.

Obviously there's more to life than food; and I highly recommend RP for the quality of life as well. I really love it here.
  • Post #3 - April 18th, 2007, 9:57 am
    Post #3 - April 18th, 2007, 9:57 am Post #3 - April 18th, 2007, 9:57 am
    you shouldn't.
  • Post #4 - April 18th, 2007, 10:35 am
    Post #4 - April 18th, 2007, 10:35 am Post #4 - April 18th, 2007, 10:35 am
    Despite what some curmudgeon from Bridgeport says, there are many good reasons to move to RP. For restaurants, aside from a dozen Mexican options, there are Columbian, Peruvian, Persian, Assyrian, Jamaican, Belizean, Somalian, Eritrean, Cuban, Thai etc. etc. Both the Devon Market and Morse Street Markets are excellent alternatives to Dominicks. You are very close to Evanston and the other Near North suburbs, as well as Devon avenue and Argyle street. Availability of public transportation is excellent. Most of all, you have the biggest and most beautiful beaches in Chicago (I will argue this point with anyone).
  • Post #5 - April 18th, 2007, 10:39 am
    Post #5 - April 18th, 2007, 10:39 am Post #5 - April 18th, 2007, 10:39 am
    IMHO, there's not that much around Lunt & Sheridan (hopefully someone can prove me wrong), but I do like the Middle Eastern food a couple blocks south at Cafe Suron (BYOB).

If you're willing to wander a little west, Clark Street has an incredible dining scene: check out these reports from two North Clark-a-thons:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

(Wow - second time in two days I've posted those links.)

A little further north is a recently reinvigorated area near the Jarvis El stop, anchored by Grupo di Amici, discussed here:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8702

And around Ridge and Western, there are two noteworthy places, Deta's, discussed here (including a link to Cathy2's famous video of the burek-making process):

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 481656541e

and La Cucina di Donatella (many of the comments in the thread are not consistent with my experience).

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... e68eb7d87d

Cafe Suron
    1146 W. Pratt Ave

Deta's Cafe
    7555 N. Ridge

La Cucina di Donatella
    2221 West Howard
  • Post #6 - April 18th, 2007, 1:05 pm
    Post #6 - April 18th, 2007, 1:05 pm Post #6 - April 18th, 2007, 1:05 pm
    I moved to RP 4 years ago and can't imagine ever moving back to the overly commercial/generic offerings of my former residence in Lake View. Rogers Park does has some down sides that I'm certain people will point out, but it also has it perks. It is a diverse community with diverse offerings and the proximity to the lake and the metra really can't be beat.

The places mentioned above are great! Deta (from Deta's Pitas) is in Montenegro until the 27th, but her homemades breads and borak/pitas are addictive and I know I will be in there getting my fix on the 28th! The new additions on Jarvis are also noteworthy. While the crowds and wait times at Spacca Napolli are ever increasing, Gruppo di Amici keeps a more manageble crowd well-fed in a more relaxed atmosphere (not to mention a GREAT bar selection, thanks to Jimmy!). Around the corner from Gruppo is the bagel shop. Good, albeit over priced for what it is. There is a wine and cheese shop scheduled to open soon on Jarvis as well. Rogers Park liquors on Clark specializes in micro and belgium beers and IMHO has a better cold beer selection than Sam's or Binny's.

Cafe Salemera has out-of-this world sandwiches, mentioned here before.

I love Donatella and her son and wish my wallet could afford going to her kitchen on Howard more often. I too have read so-so reviews here, but her food has been consistently good in the half dozen times I've been.

MorseLand is good for live music and drinks, as is the RedLine Tap, previously mentioned.

RP also has a large art scene in terms of both live performance and galleries. There are several theatres offering smaller productions and Glenwood has several art galleries that host open shows throughout the year (and, of course, during the Glenwood Arts Festival). The artcenter on Greenleaf is having a reception this Friday night, and is open this weekend as well. If you are considering moving to RP, you might consider going to get a better feel for your future neighbors and to pick thier brains on thier favorites in the area.

Gruppo di Amici
    1508 W. Jarvis Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60626
    773-508-5565

Cafe Salamera
    6653 N. Clark Street
    Chicago, IL 60626
    773.764-7210

La Cucina di Donatella
    2221 W. Howard
    Chicago, IL 60626

Morseland
    1218 W. Morse Ave
    Chicago, IL 60626

Red Line Tap
    7006 N. Glenwood Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60626

Greenleaf Art Center
    1806 W. Greenleaf
    Chicago, IL 60626
    773-465-4652
  • Post #7 - April 19th, 2007, 7:14 am
    Post #7 - April 19th, 2007, 7:14 am Post #7 - April 19th, 2007, 7:14 am
    Well, there are the excellent Jamaican patties at Caribbean American Bakery on Howard St. just west of Sheridan Rd. But you can just as well drive up and takeout an order without having to move your entire household.

Caribbean American Bakery
    1539 W. Howard St.
    Chicago IL 60626
    (773) 761-0700
    ...Pedro
  • Post #8 - April 19th, 2007, 8:04 am
    Post #8 - April 19th, 2007, 8:04 am Post #8 - April 19th, 2007, 8:04 am
    clb wrote:Rogers Park liquors on Clark specializes in micro and belgium beers and IMHO has a better cold beer selection than Sam's or Binny's.

I stopped in at this place last night and it is really developing into a fine store. As noted, specifically for cold beer they have an excellent selection; actually, almost all the beer is cold (with the exception of a few of the large sized Unibroue-type bottles). I think there were probably 8-10 double-door wall cooler compartments, all with beer. They then have shelving that takes up approximately the same length with wine on two sides, and a single aisle-side of the same length sparsely populated with spirits.

I am not a big wine buyer, but the beer selection is really nice. I didn't get a great read on prices, but I think it was about what you'd expect. Their finer tequilas (probably the best represented style of spirit) were a bit pricy, but they probably don't move a lot of them.

It's probably not a destination, but it would have saved me the trip to Sam's when I wanted to get some Singha for the Easter Thai dinner. Not that I mind going to Sam's.

Oh, yes, I can't find the exact address online, but it's on the NE corner of Clark and North Shore. Not to be confused with a relatively new, more pedestrian liquor store a block or two south.
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #9 - April 19th, 2007, 8:40 am
    Post #9 - April 19th, 2007, 8:40 am Post #9 - April 19th, 2007, 8:40 am
    germuska wrote:Oh, yes, I can't find the exact address online, but it's on the NE corner of Clark and North Shore. Not to be confused with a relatively new, more pedestrian liquor store a block or two south.
    It is actually Columbia and Clark (north of the Spin Cycle laundromat). I believe the address is 6733 N. Clark, and it was formerly called P&W liquors. That store and the Xtra Value on Western are the best beer stores in RP.
  • Post #10 - April 19th, 2007, 2:05 pm
    Post #10 - April 19th, 2007, 2:05 pm Post #10 - April 19th, 2007, 2:05 pm
    I used to live near Morse and Clark. The best grocery shopping options near there are the Morse Fruit and Meat Market (they might have changed the sign to be the Morse Fresh Market) at 1430 W Morse, the Rogers Park Fruit Market at 7401 N Clark, the Devon Market at 1440 W Devon and the Dominicks stores on Howard and Broadway. The Morse Market is really superb for day-to-day shopping, as they have a huge selection for such a small place. Also, they have a lot of "ethnic" foods, not just Mexican. It was the only place I found near me that sold labna. Their prices are often cheaper than Dominicks, and their produce is lightyears better. I really miss living there, now that I think about it.
    For food, my favorite spot was La Cazuela, on Clark and Farwell. Great standard Mexican fare, with seafood as a specialty. The Heartland was always reliable for drinks and healthy comfort food, while the Red Line Tap around the corner is reliable for drinks and atmosphere. Kind of a ways south are Ethiopian Diamond and Moody's Pub on Broadway between Granville and Thorndale. I used to walk down there, but then I like a long walk. I'm probably missing a lot of stuff on Sheridan, but I didn't head that far east very often, unless I was also heading south. Some friends of mine go to the Morseland (1218 W Morse) for live music regularly and speak highly of it.
  • Post #11 - April 19th, 2007, 8:15 pm
    Post #11 - April 19th, 2007, 8:15 pm Post #11 - April 19th, 2007, 8:15 pm
    I'll put a good word in for the food at Morseland. I had lamb (rack of? something pretty fancy) last time we were there. Mr. X had the shrimp po' boy and quite enjoyed it. They have a nice selection of beer and wine and I've enjoyed their martinis.

The coffee shop Cafe Ennui at the corner of Lunt and Sheridan has baked goods, sandwiches and soups along with the expected coffee and tea. I've never been -- never enough time in the morning before the bus comes.

As mentioned above, Cafe Suron on Pratt is a solid choice. Nice room, good food, BYO.

There are a number of pizza places, a Chipotle, a new Thai/Sushi place next to the movie theatre as you move south towards Loyola. Nothing really to write home about, but might come in handy in a pinch.

Candlelite is more West Rogers Park, but a fine option as well.

Many of these and others are covered in the links. Read through the links, or better yet, come up and visit. I have been in Rogers Park for five years and don't regret it. Lifeline Theatre is in the 'hood, Raven Theatre is not far away. Public transit options abound. I've always found it easier to catch a cab up here than in my former 'hood of Roscoe Village. Rogers Park might have some rough edges, but that's not really different than any other neighborhood.

Morseland - 1218 W. Morse
    Cafe Ennui - 6981 N. Sheridan
    Cafe Suron - 1146 W. Pratt
    Candlelite - 7542 N. Western
  • Post #12 - April 20th, 2007, 1:50 pm
    Post #12 - April 20th, 2007, 1:50 pm Post #12 - April 20th, 2007, 1:50 pm
    I live at Lunt and Glenwood, right next door to The Heartland, and I have to say that I wouldn't trade it for all the restaurants in Lakeview. RP is really changing and has a lot to offer - and no Abercrombie & Fitch-clad frat boys stumbling from John Barleycorn to Bar Louie.

Suron and Amici bear repeating, but there's also the Heartland, my fav watering hole and consistently good food. Let's not forget Taste of Peru and Harold's Chicken on Clark as well.

Great thing about RP is that you're a short el ride from many other fantastic places - Ethiopian Diamond, Moody's, TAC Quick, and all that Argyle has to offer. Evanston is also close and accessible on the train and Andersonville is a short drive or bus ride on the #22 down Clark.
  • Post #13 - April 20th, 2007, 11:43 pm
    Post #13 - April 20th, 2007, 11:43 pm Post #13 - April 20th, 2007, 11:43 pm
    Reading this post definitely makes me feel good about RP and my upcoming move in a few weeks. I'll be glad to leave the crazy hectic neighborhood of East Lincoln Park and trade it for the more residential, roomier RP.

Sure, I may be leaving quite a bit of food options, but gaining a bigger kitchen is worth it :)
  • Post #14 - April 24th, 2007, 2:08 pm
    Post #14 - April 24th, 2007, 2:08 pm Post #14 - April 24th, 2007, 2:08 pm
    What about U Lucky Dawg (formerly Fluky's)?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jJzktkTGLBZv9ZNLLhVRAQ
  • Post #15 - April 24th, 2007, 2:41 pm
    Post #15 - April 24th, 2007, 2:41 pm Post #15 - April 24th, 2007, 2:41 pm
    Scotty2Hotty wrote:What about U Lucky Dawg (formerly Fluky's)?

At the risk of getting into a neighborhood boundary discussion, U Lucky Dawg isn't Rogers Park. It's West Rogers Park or West Ridge (in modern parlance).

But, if you're willing to look for food west of Ridge, The Fish Keg is an all time favorite neighborhood feature of mine.

The Fish Keg
    2233 W. Howard St.
    (773) 262-6603

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #16 - April 24th, 2007, 3:52 pm
    Post #16 - April 24th, 2007, 3:52 pm Post #16 - April 24th, 2007, 3:52 pm
    I've been to The Fish Keg a number of times, and I know others who love it. But I just don't get it. Selection doesn't seem that great. What am I missing?
  • Post #17 - April 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm
    Post #17 - April 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm Post #17 - April 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm
    nr706 wrote:I've been to The Fish Keg a number of times, and I know others who love it. But I just don't get it. Selection doesn't seem that great. What am I missing?
    The breaded, fried shrimp. That's what.
  • Post #18 - April 24th, 2007, 4:01 pm
    Post #18 - April 24th, 2007, 4:01 pm Post #18 - April 24th, 2007, 4:01 pm
    And West RP used to have its own Dairy Queen, too, but that seems to be shut now :cry:

I'm sure DQ does not have many fans here, but I have a great, abiding love for chocolate-dipped vanilla soft-serve, and they offer a fine example of the genre.
  • Post #19 - April 24th, 2007, 4:47 pm
    Post #19 - April 24th, 2007, 4:47 pm Post #19 - April 24th, 2007, 4:47 pm
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:And West RP used to have its own Dairy Queen, too, but that seems to be shut now :cry:

That might be a seasonal thing. I'm sure they will be opening up soon. I know every time I drove past it, it was busy.
  • Post #20 - April 24th, 2007, 4:56 pm
    Post #20 - April 24th, 2007, 4:56 pm Post #20 - April 24th, 2007, 4:56 pm
    We were thinking it might be seasonal, but I know for a fact it was open in March of 2005 at least - we went there for cones after moving all day. So I am hoping you are right, but gosh, wouldn't it be open by now?
  • Post #21 - April 24th, 2007, 5:24 pm
    Post #21 - April 24th, 2007, 5:24 pm Post #21 - April 24th, 2007, 5:24 pm
    nr706 wrote:I've been to The Fish Keg a number of times, and I know others who love it. But I just don't get it. Selection doesn't seem that great. What am I missing?
    (l-r) cole slaw, catfish, fried walleye and hush puppies
  • Post #22 - April 24th, 2007, 8:44 pm
    Post #22 - April 24th, 2007, 8:44 pm Post #22 - April 24th, 2007, 8:44 pm
    d4v3 wrote:
    (l-r) cole slaw, catfish, fried walleye and hush puppies

We don't go out for Mother's Day, we bring a picnic to my Grandmother's table. A few years back, I started a new Mother's Day tradition: the Fish Keg picnic. Fried shrimp, oysters, scallops, perch, walleye, smelts, slaw, hush puppies.

Is The Fish Keg a top-notch fishmonger like Dirik's? Maybe not. But they're a great fish "shack" in the same manner as Calumet's or Hagen's. All they lack is a smoker. I have a hard time driving by The Fish Keg without stopping in for something.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #23 - April 24th, 2007, 11:35 pm
    Post #23 - April 24th, 2007, 11:35 pm Post #23 - April 24th, 2007, 11:35 pm
    Fish Keg actually has pretty good fried chicken too. I usually order the fried clams if I'm not getting the chicken. The chicken doesn't rank with (a good) Harold's or Evanston Chicken Shack, but it is well-prepared, and I like the flavor of their breading. I seem to remember liking their hot sauce too, but it's been too long since I've been for me to describe it in any detail.

As for the DQ, it's way past time for it to have reopened after the seasonal close. I've been meaning to post seeing if anyone knows, but I'm giving it up for lost. I like DQ pretty well in its own context, and there aren't really many options "like it", but I'm excited about Paleteria La Monarca on Clark Street, and from the DQ, it's not all that far to the new location of Panino's (Dempster and Dodge in Evanston), where I've had pretty good gelato on more than on occasion. It's not Rogers Park, but it's within striking distance. I guess for pure proximity, the closest ice cream cone shop is the Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts at Howard and Western... but that's not Rogers Park either, it's West Ridge :wink:
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #24 - April 25th, 2007, 6:47 am
    Post #24 - April 25th, 2007, 6:47 am Post #24 - April 25th, 2007, 6:47 am
    I will miss that DQ. In the later evening hours, it transformed into Fashion DQ, with pulsing techno music and a manager who looked just exactly like Donatella Versace, although a bit less leathery.
  • Post #25 - April 25th, 2007, 8:46 am
    Post #25 - April 25th, 2007, 8:46 am Post #25 - April 25th, 2007, 8:46 am
    Scotty2Hotty wrote:
    The breaded, fried shrimp. That's what.

The fried scallops are one of my favorites!!!
  • Post #26 - April 25th, 2007, 8:54 am
    Post #26 - April 25th, 2007, 8:54 am Post #26 - April 25th, 2007, 8:54 am
    germuska wrote:I guess for pure proximity, the closest ice cream cone shop is the Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts at Howard and Western.

There is an ice cream shop at Western and Lunt. (The name is not coming to me right now.) It's an excellent place to stop after a walk through Indian Boundary Park nearby.
  • Post #27 - April 25th, 2007, 9:23 am
    Post #27 - April 25th, 2007, 9:23 am Post #27 - April 25th, 2007, 9:23 am
    The GP wrote:There is an ice cream shop at Western and Lunt. (The name is not coming to me right now.) It's an excellent place to stop after a walk through Indian Boundary Park nearby.

Jackey's Ice Cream
    7000 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (773) 262-2222
  • Post #28 - April 25th, 2007, 9:48 am
    Post #28 - April 25th, 2007, 9:48 am Post #28 - April 25th, 2007, 9:48 am
    The GP wrote:There is an ice cream shop at Western and Lunt. (The name is not coming to me right now.) It's an excellent place to stop after a walk through Indian Boundary Park nearby.

Jackey's it is, and it's a wonderful old-style place. We discovered it when we adopted our cat at Red Door shelter, a few doors down on Lunt. Definitely recommended.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #29 - April 25th, 2007, 9:51 am
    Post #29 - April 25th, 2007, 9:51 am Post #29 - April 25th, 2007, 9:51 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:

Jackey's it is, and it's a wonderful old-style place. We discovered it when we adopted our cat at Red Door shelter, a few doors down on Lunt. Definitely recommended.

Jackey's is one of those rare places that used to be a major chain that sells the same thing (31 Flavors), but went independent and succeeded.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #30 - April 25th, 2007, 10:15 am
    Post #30 - April 25th, 2007, 10:15 am Post #30 - April 25th, 2007, 10:15 am
    Though I should point out that they don't make their own ice cream, it's Chocolate Shoppe from Madison (same as Chocolate Shoppe in Edgebrook).
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more