LTH Home

Papa George's [Split from Beef Tasting III in Events]

Papa George's [Split from Beef Tasting III in Events]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Papa George's [Split from Beef Tasting III in Events]

Post #1 - October 12th, 2004, 6:47 am
    Post #1 - October 12th, 2004, 6:47 am Post #1 - October 12th, 2004, 6:47 am
    Aaron Deacon wrote:I've been to Papa George's once or twice, and thought the burger was quite serviceable for it's sort.

Aaron,

Was there yesterday and I'd agree on the burger, serviceable, though I had the 1/3-lb, the 1/2-lb, if you can get it med-rare, may be another story.

The fries, as Seth mentioned, were texturally excellent, crisp on the outside, light potato goodness inside, salted just right for me, which means light on the salt.

The one small problem I had with the fries was there was an ever-so-slight past it's prime flavor from the oil, as if they meant to change the oil that morning, got busy, and said tomorrow is close enough.

I'm talking really slight here, so slight that if I would have taken a bite of my hamburger first I might not have noticed.

Papa George's, in general, is great, comfortable tables to sit, magazines to read, interactive staff, who seem to know 4 out 5 customers, friendly owner joking with everyone, while he keeps a sharp eye that things run smooth, which they do.

Papa George's has daily specials, including soup of the day, yesterday was chicken noodle, though one of the customers was pushing to have her favorite put back in rotation, Avgolemono.

I'll definitely be back for the fries, though next time I'll try either the 1/2-lb burger med-rare or Italian beef.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Papa George's
    3324 N California Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-478-8894
  • Post #2 - October 12th, 2004, 5:12 pm
    Post #2 - October 12th, 2004, 5:12 pm Post #2 - October 12th, 2004, 5:12 pm
    Gary, a very good description of Papa George's Just Beef.

Today I went there for lunch and had the Italian Beef. It's $4.95, but there's a special with fries & drink for $5.95. Worth it for the fries alone. The Italian sausage is $2.95 alone or $3.95 w/fries & drink.

After placing my order I asked the owner whether he got his beef from Scala's or Vienna. He replied "Neither, I get it off the cow." Then he handed me a slice to taste. It had good flavor, on the fatty side, and a bit chewy perhaps because it was a bit thicker than usual (about 1/8"). I was about to comment on this when he called out to his helper in back complaining that the beef had been sliced too thick.

I ordered the sandwich dipped, with sweet and hot on the side. He dipped both ends, but not the middle so it wouldn't fall apart. Actually I would have preferred it dipped more to get more of the juice, but didn't say anything as I was interested in trying Italian beef his way.

The beef - on a nice crusty roll - was good, but not great. Both the sweet peppers and the giardinera were OK. I was glad to get sweet peppers that weren't bitter as so many are.

If the beef had been sliced thinner and the sandwich dipped more, it might have been an impressive item.

It's certainly worth trying again. The owner obviously takes his beef seriously and I want to support such places. Then there are the fries...
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #3 - October 12th, 2004, 6:15 pm
    Post #3 - October 12th, 2004, 6:15 pm Post #3 - October 12th, 2004, 6:15 pm
    I like the burgers (and the fries) here. I keep meaning to try the beef but always end up having a burger. I remember the first time I was there when George asked me how I wanted it done and I said 'rare' he immediately turned to his assistant and said "See! That man knows how meat should be done. Everybody always overcooks, but it's best when it's cooked like that. That's the way I like it." So I filed that away as a reminder for knowing at least one place where I won't have any trouble getting my burgers 'my way'.

The fries really are good. They even survive the brown paper bag for the drive back home quite well, maintaining a pretty good level of crispness.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #4 - November 19th, 2004, 1:09 pm
    Post #4 - November 19th, 2004, 1:09 pm Post #4 - November 19th, 2004, 1:09 pm
    Buried in an old thread on Chowhound, someone is reporting the Papa George's has closed and Hot Doug is moving in. :?:
  • Post #5 - November 19th, 2004, 2:36 pm
    Post #5 - November 19th, 2004, 2:36 pm Post #5 - November 19th, 2004, 2:36 pm
    George R wrote:After placing my order I asked the owner whether he got his beef from Scala's or Vienna. He replied "Neither, I get it off the cow."

GeoR,

It never ceases to amaze me how almost closed-mouthed these Italian beef purveyors become when you ask the most innocent question about their sources. It's like you're inquiring into their secret lives or something. We know that they can get Vienna or Scalas in different "formats," so by mentioning the name of the source they're not giving away too much; still, for some reason, it seems to rankle them just a little.

Hammond
  • Post #6 - November 19th, 2004, 2:55 pm
    Post #6 - November 19th, 2004, 2:55 pm Post #6 - November 19th, 2004, 2:55 pm
    Aaron

I had lunch with George last week.He told me he was negotiating with Doug and that they had a few issues on the lease to iron out. Looks like the deal went thru.

Prior to the beef place George had Papa Georges Alpha Liquors and grocery on Damen just north of Lawrence.George is a pretty resourcefull guy and I'm sure we'll see him pop up somewhere else in the near future

John
  • Post #7 - November 19th, 2004, 3:06 pm
    Post #7 - November 19th, 2004, 3:06 pm Post #7 - November 19th, 2004, 3:06 pm
    Thanks for the confirmation, John. I, for one, am pleased at the prospect of Doug moving farther west. I enjoyed Papa George's too, and look forward to seeing where he resurfaces.

Cheers,

Aaron
  • Post #8 - November 19th, 2004, 4:19 pm
    Post #8 - November 19th, 2004, 4:19 pm Post #8 - November 19th, 2004, 4:19 pm
    I wondered what was going on at George's; I noticed each morning driving to work down Cali that it was dark and the chairs were still on top of the tables. That certainly explains it. I'll miss the funky layout of the original HD's but this will afford him more kitchen space so who knows what he might cook up?
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more