LTH Home

The Chocolate Shoppe Halloween [Pictures]

The Chocolate Shoppe Halloween [Pictures]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Chocolate Shoppe Halloween [Pictures]

Post #1 - October 14th, 2004, 7:22 am
    Post #1 - October 14th, 2004, 7:22 am Post #1 - October 14th, 2004, 7:22 am
    LTH,

The Chocolate Shoppe on West Devon, as Mike G mentioned, is highly decorated for Halloween. Good, if slightly rich for my taste, ice cream, though I enjoyed my scoop of pumpkin.

Inside and outside seating, open until 11pm, good service, with trays of water passed around frequently. Perfect place to take the kids for a Halloween ice cream treat.

David Hammond seems to fit in perfectly with this group. :)

Erin (back to camera) Peter D and Ellen.

This reminds me of someone, even though it's so scary if almost makes me want to weep.

Enjoy,
    Gary

The Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream
    773-763-9778
    5337 W Devon Ave
    Chicago, IL 60646
  • Post #2 - October 14th, 2004, 10:00 am
    Post #2 - October 14th, 2004, 10:00 am Post #2 - October 14th, 2004, 10:00 am

Took my son Myles to see the "scary ice cream place" yesterday. His reaction? He looked in the doorway, then calmly went over to the plastic chairs set up outside, turned one around to face Devon Ave., and sat down and waited for me to bring his ice cream from inside the very mouth of Hell itself.

Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #3 - October 14th, 2004, 9:28 pm
    Post #3 - October 14th, 2004, 9:28 pm Post #3 - October 14th, 2004, 9:28 pm
    Which one is David?
  • Post #4 - October 14th, 2004, 10:33 pm
    Post #4 - October 14th, 2004, 10:33 pm Post #4 - October 14th, 2004, 10:33 pm
    That is so cute!

Thank you for the tip - going to check this place out this weekend! Is it crowded?
  • Post #5 - October 14th, 2004, 11:20 pm
    Post #5 - October 14th, 2004, 11:20 pm Post #5 - October 14th, 2004, 11:20 pm
    Is it crowded?

They were there Monday night at 10 PM. There were people present but not crowded by any standard. However, I cannot imagine it will be quiet during the weekend.

I personally was too tired to go over, so I went home instead. I plan to come with my nieces sometime next week during a week night. It certainly looks like a treasure ... though I don't blame Myles from opting out.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #6 - October 15th, 2004, 11:29 pm
    Post #6 - October 15th, 2004, 11:29 pm Post #6 - October 15th, 2004, 11:29 pm
    Hi,

I stopped by this place about 10:30 PM this evening with some friends. We were the only customers but the staff advised they were crowded earlier in the evening.

I inquired if the owner had a theater design background. I guess they didn't quite hear me, because the answer was, "He used to own the Baskin Robbins, which was here before." Ok, I did meet the lady in black ice cream server who also painted most of the interior scenes. I learned this ice cream parlor is almost never a generic interior ice cream parlor. Sometime in December, they will switch to a winter wonderland interior. Normally, they switch scenes several times a year. Last Winter, they opted for a Candyland scene which was so popular, it did not come down until recently. When I inquired what the expect next, they smiled and claimed not to know themselves.

I think this ice cream parlor has become my new destination ice cream parlor. I don't mind getting an occasional cone and pay homage to their creative style. They are open until 11 PM everyday, so there is hardly a reason not to stop by every once in a while.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #7 - October 12th, 2007, 9:41 am
    Post #7 - October 12th, 2007, 9:41 am Post #7 - October 12th, 2007, 9:41 am
    LTH,

After dinner at GNR winner Elephant Thai we walked across the mean (humor) streets of Edgebrook to the Chocolate Shoppe for dessert, licorice ice cream was terrific, and to check out the '07 Halloween decor, which is once again amazing. I don't know why I should sound surprised, past themes such as Wizard of Oz and Peter Pan have been worthy of a Tony Award for set design, as have past Halloween's.

Chocolate Shoppe Halloween 2007

Doorman

Host

Once scoop or two?

Cashier

Alive?

This fellow lost his head over the pumpkin ice cream

Ellen, Steve Z, ChowPoodle through the mist

Yikes

Bye bye, come back and see us again soon.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #8 - October 12th, 2007, 9:52 am
    Post #8 - October 12th, 2007, 9:52 am Post #8 - October 12th, 2007, 9:52 am
    Wow, killer clowns. Gotta love it. The Halloween decor at the Chocolate Shoppe seems to get a little more twisted every year. The fact that it is an ice cream parlor makes it even more bizarre. Thanks for the pix.
  • Post #9 - October 12th, 2007, 12:23 pm
    Post #9 - October 12th, 2007, 12:23 pm Post #9 - October 12th, 2007, 12:23 pm
    I've been meaning to get my hands on some licorice ice cream, which sounds fantastic, but, um...I'll be outside with Myles v.2004 until November 1st or whenever it is that they eradicate their scary clown infestation.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more