LTH Home

Fire up them smokers! Pork Butt $.99/lb at Dominicks!

Fire up them smokers! Pork Butt $.99/lb at Dominicks!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Fire up them smokers! Pork Butt $.99/lb at Dominicks!

Post #1 - October 24th, 2007, 10:28 am
    Post #1 - October 24th, 2007, 10:28 am Post #1 - October 24th, 2007, 10:28 am
    Just got the ad and looks like Dominick's has pork shoulders (bone-in) for $.99/lb from Oct 25-31. Guess I know what my WSM will be doing this weekend.

For those without a smoker, grab one to make the Braised Caribbean Pork from All About Braising by Molly Stevens. Made this a few weeks back and it was incredible!

Jamie
  • Post #2 - October 25th, 2007, 7:00 am
    Post #2 - October 25th, 2007, 7:00 am Post #2 - October 25th, 2007, 7:00 am
    If you want to get this price more often, I'd suggest checking out the Mexican grocery stores in your area, or a Tony's. Sounds like you're a fan of pork shoulder (me too!)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #3 - October 25th, 2007, 7:25 am
    Post #3 - October 25th, 2007, 7:25 am Post #3 - October 25th, 2007, 7:25 am
    Jamieson22 wrote:Just got the ad and looks like Dominick's has pork shoulders (bone-in) for $.99/lb from Oct 25-31.

Jamie,

Good price, though both Peoria Packing and Moo and Oink are $.99/lb for bone-in pork butt this week as well.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - November 3rd, 2007, 10:34 am
    Post #4 - November 3rd, 2007, 10:34 am Post #4 - November 3rd, 2007, 10:34 am
    Oooh, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.... I may check out Harvestime today and see what sales they have going on.
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #5 - November 3rd, 2007, 1:19 pm
    Post #5 - November 3rd, 2007, 1:19 pm Post #5 - November 3rd, 2007, 1:19 pm
    For those who are smokerless, $.99 pork shoulders are also a great reason to make your own conchita pibil. This recipe does really well in a slow cooker/crock pot, too.

One suggestion that I have to make is to buy achiote, the ground form of annato, as the annato will permanently screw up a good coffee/spice grinder, or even worse, an expensive food processor in the process of grinding it down.

5lbs of pork shoulder cut into two inch cube
    1 lb of banana leaves (optional)

marinade (achiote paste):
    5 tb annato seeds
    1 tb peppercorns
    8 whole allspice
    2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp whole cloves
    2 tb salt
    8 minced garlic cloves
    3 roasted habaneros (devined,remove seeds)
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    Juice of 5 limes
    a Splash of tequila

1.mix all dry spices in a coffee grinder or spice mill. grind well...into a fine powder.
    2.in a blender or a food processor,blend all wet ingredients and the ground dry spices together.
    3.In zip-lock bag add the meat and marinade.shake well,marinate for 12-24hrs.
    4.in a baking pan, line it with the banana leaves (or tin foil)-you are going to be wrapping,the filling in them,so be sure to overlap them well and leave enough so the edges will overlap,making a tight package-dump the filling with marinade into the pan,wrap it with the banana leaves

Put some more leaves on top,cover the whole thing with tinfoil and seal the edges,do not let any steam escape.

Bake at 325 for 3 + hours. Unless you have an in ground pit that you can cook it in over live coals.
  • Post #6 - November 5th, 2007, 11:51 pm
    Post #6 - November 5th, 2007, 11:51 pm Post #6 - November 5th, 2007, 11:51 pm
    One of my favorite food blogs is that of the "Homesick Texan" where you'll find a terrific recipe for New Mexico style green chili made with pork shoulder or butt.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/
  • Post #7 - November 6th, 2007, 9:49 am
    Post #7 - November 6th, 2007, 9:49 am Post #7 - November 6th, 2007, 9:49 am
    I bought one of these shoulder roasts a couple of weeks ago. $5 for a 5 lb hunk-o-pork is hard to beat!

In the past, I've either smoked or braised this cut with great result. This time I decided to try something different and a bit simpler.

I mixed a little rub of fennel seed, coriander, salt & pepper and gave the pork a good rubdown. Then I put it in a disposable aluminum tray and blasted it in a 500 degree oven for about 45 minutes - til it got nice & brown. Then I covered it with foil, knocked then temp down to 325 & roasted for about 3 hours. Then I took the foil off and let the outside crisp back up a bit.

Delicious. Simple. Porky. And the meat was tender like braised or smoked shoulder.

Also, because it was seasoned fairly simply, the left over pork lended itself to a variety of uses without seeming out of place.
  • Post #8 - November 6th, 2007, 10:34 am
    Post #8 - November 6th, 2007, 10:34 am Post #8 - November 6th, 2007, 10:34 am
    I bought one yesterday at my Certi-Saver for .89C / lb. Rubbed it down at about 5pm and then lit the grill around 10pm. Threw it on with some wood chips, went to sleep, and then pulled it off at 6am. Pulled it apart, and brought it to work today. Tossed it into one of our communal crock pots with some spicy q sauce. There's currently about a spoonful left. Pulled poke for bfast at work. I'm kinda popular today needless to say.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #9 - November 6th, 2007, 6:56 pm
    Post #9 - November 6th, 2007, 6:56 pm Post #9 - November 6th, 2007, 6:56 pm
    viaChgo wrote:Also, because it was seasoned fairly simply, the left over pork lended itself to a variety of uses without seeming out of place.

*nodding* Such an important point that is often overlooked....

seebee wrote:I'm kinda popular today needless to say.

hee hee! Glad it worked out SeeBee!! It's like meat candy.

YourPalWill wrote: New Mexico style green chili made with pork shoulder or butt.

Have you tried this recipe? I'm going to a chili cook-off on Thursday and still haven't come up with any ideas.... so if this is tested, then I might go for it. The only thing is, a lot of the people at the chili cook-off are vegetarians. oh well.
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #10 - November 6th, 2007, 9:36 pm
    Post #10 - November 6th, 2007, 9:36 pm Post #10 - November 6th, 2007, 9:36 pm
    the only way you're going to be able to make New Mexico green chile (or red) is with roasted Hatch or some other variety of New Mexico chiles. If someone can tell you where to score them frozen, you'll be fine, but without that smokey roasty toasty flavor going on, it won't taste like the real deal. (Sorry to be the buzz kill . . . my family is in CO and I miss the "green and the red" very much!)

Rick Bayless has a recipe for Puerco en Chile Verde that's more puckery and piquant, from the tomatillos, you could do that one easily.

good luck!

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #11 - November 7th, 2007, 7:48 am
    Post #11 - November 7th, 2007, 7:48 am Post #11 - November 7th, 2007, 7:48 am
    I *heart* tomatillos..... thanks for the green chilie advice, bjt!
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #12 - November 7th, 2007, 8:12 am
    Post #12 - November 7th, 2007, 8:12 am Post #12 - November 7th, 2007, 8:12 am
    Thanks for the link Will, sounds like a great recipe or recipes :D
    YourPalWill wrote:One of my favorite food blogs is that of the "Homesick Texan" where you'll find a terrific recipe for New Mexico style green chili made with pork shoulder or butt.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/
  • Post #13 - November 7th, 2007, 8:47 am
    Post #13 - November 7th, 2007, 8:47 am Post #13 - November 7th, 2007, 8:47 am
    bjt wrote:the only way you're going to be able to make New Mexico green chile (or red) is with roasted Hatch or some other variety of New Mexico chiles. If someone can tell you where to score them frozen, you'll be fine, but without that smokey roasty toasty flavor going on, it won't taste like the real deal. (Sorry to be the buzz kill . . . my family is in CO and I miss the "green and the red" very much!)

Rick Bayless has a recipe for Puerco en Chile Verde that's more puckery and piquant, from the tomatillos, you could do that one easily.

good luck!

bjt

This was my EXACT thought when reading about that recipe. I spent a year in Co, and a few in Albuquerque. Green chile sauce just aint green chile sauce anywhere alse. And those roasted hatch green chiles at that giant flea market in Denver? Man, you gotta miss that for the rest of your life. One of my favorite memories: Ordering at Burger King in New Mexico (along with just about every other place.)

Drive thru voice: May I take your order, please?
    Me: I'll take a whopper with no ketchup.
    Drive thru voice: Red or green?

Chile sauce on just about everything was a forgone conclusion. Hatch chiles are serious bidness out there, and once in a while, I'll try to re-create it, but you really do need roasted hatch chiles to do it right. Yummm. There are quite a few who say that there is some kind of addictive substance in those things, and people would frequently claim they got headaches, or were simply in a foul mood because they had not had any green or red chile in the last day or so.
  • Post #14 - February 25th, 2008, 12:58 am
    Post #14 - February 25th, 2008, 12:58 am Post #14 - February 25th, 2008, 12:58 am
    Bone-in pork shoulder was .99 at Canal / Roosevelt Whole Foods today - picked up 2.5 pounds.

If I use Will's recipe or another indoor-cooked (dutch oven braised) method, do I cook with the bone in and shred off the bone later, or remove bone first (and reserve for other nefarious uses?) "2 inch cubes" sound like they would not include bone, but looking at this slab o'meat, I'm not sure where I would attack it to get boneless cubes.

Any other new favorite recipes? I'm thinking of either Will's or this slightly different method:

http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/pork/pibil.htm

The variation in the first five hits for cochinita pibil (though I'm not wed to that preparation, please feel free to talk me out of the Yucatan) is remarkable - marinate, don't marinate, sear/brown, don't sear/brown, cook for 6 hours total, cook for 3 hours total, cook for 2 hours total, variety of temperatures, etc. Where have your best success levels been?
  • Post #15 - February 25th, 2008, 6:17 am
    Post #15 - February 25th, 2008, 6:17 am Post #15 - February 25th, 2008, 6:17 am
    I posted an award-winning* chili recipe that uses bone-in pork shoulder

*voters included people who owed me football-betting debts.
  • Post #16 - February 25th, 2008, 7:39 am
    Post #16 - February 25th, 2008, 7:39 am Post #16 - February 25th, 2008, 7:39 am
    last I bought from Sams was 92 cents a pound although that was case price
  • Post #17 - February 25th, 2008, 8:32 am
    Post #17 - February 25th, 2008, 8:32 am Post #17 - February 25th, 2008, 8:32 am
    89 cents at Butera this week.
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
  • Post #18 - February 25th, 2008, 11:45 am
    Post #18 - February 25th, 2008, 11:45 am Post #18 - February 25th, 2008, 11:45 am
    I prefer to buy from my local butcher shop out in Ottawa, IL..

I payed $2.20/lb. last week for Pork butt. Worth the extra money to support a local business, and not to have to go to Dominicks, or another chain supermarket. imho.
  • Post #19 - July 5th, 2008, 1:41 am
    Post #19 - July 5th, 2008, 1:41 am Post #19 - July 5th, 2008, 1:41 am
    YourPalWill wrote:For those who are smokerless, $.99 pork shoulders are also a great reason to make your own conchita pibil. This recipe does really well in a slow cooker/crock pot, too.
    G Wiv wrote:Aschie30 YourPalWill's conchita pibil

G Wiv's photos from the LTHForum 1,000-Recipe Potluck, June 22, 2008, appear here, including this shot of YourPalWill's conchita pibil, as prepared by aschie30. To the left are shown very hot habanero salsa and Zuni Cafe's pickled red onions that aschie made as accompaniements. Aschie also commented on making the dish.

Alas, I do not think that pork butt is currently priced so low.
    Last edited by LAZ on July 6th, 2008, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #20 - July 5th, 2008, 8:10 am
    Post #20 - July 5th, 2008, 8:10 am Post #20 - July 5th, 2008, 8:10 am
    LAZ wrote:
    Alas, I do not think that pork butt is currently priced so low.

Best I found this week (for bone-in) was $1.59/lb at Peoria.
  • Post #21 - July 8th, 2008, 10:27 am
    Post #21 - July 8th, 2008, 10:27 am Post #21 - July 8th, 2008, 10:27 am
    I have been buying mine at Sams Club.
    They come 2 per pack cryovacd for around $20-25. The last pair I purchased were 7lbs each.
  • Post #22 - January 24th, 2009, 1:17 pm
    Post #22 - January 24th, 2009, 1:17 pm Post #22 - January 24th, 2009, 1:17 pm
    They're on sale at both Tony's Finer Foods and Cermak Produce for 99¢ lb. (I know it's a little cold for smoking...)

Tony's Finer Foods
    4137 N. Elston Ave

Cermak Produce
    4234 N. Kedzie
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #23 - January 25th, 2009, 6:44 am
    Post #23 - January 25th, 2009, 6:44 am Post #23 - January 25th, 2009, 6:44 am
    Saint Pizza wrote:(I know it's a little cold for smoking...)

:shock:

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - January 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm
    Post #24 - January 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm Post #24 - January 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm
    Indeed!!!!!

I had just checked out Bruce Aidells's book "Complete Book of Pork" from the library and it got me in the mood for some pork butt. We all know the best pork butt is smoked... it's almost heresy to suggest that anything less should be cooked, but, for example, Bruce's recipe for carnitas would fit the ticket for snowy weather.
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #25 - January 26th, 2009, 6:37 pm
    Post #25 - January 26th, 2009, 6:37 pm Post #25 - January 26th, 2009, 6:37 pm
    I picked up a few at the restaurant supply place. Used one for a batch of Italian sausage and braised the other in milk. First, browned it in oil oil. Then covered with milk and simmered for several hours. All the fat cooks out, the meat is tender and the milk cooks down to nicely browned clots. Served over pasta. It's not bbq but it is a pretty good use of a butt.
    pdp
  • Post #26 - February 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm
    Post #26 - February 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm Post #26 - February 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm
    Not sure about any others, but my Tony's has pork shoulder for 88c /lb this week. 50 degrees this wknd + Cheap pork parts=time for some pulled poke.
  • Post #27 - February 8th, 2009, 3:49 pm
    Post #27 - February 8th, 2009, 3:49 pm Post #27 - February 8th, 2009, 3:49 pm
    YourPalWill wrote: . . . make your own conchita pibil. This recipe does really well in a slow cooker/crock pot, too.

. . .

5lbs of pork shoulder cut into two inch cube
    1 lb of banana leaves (optional)

marinade (achiote paste):
    5 tb annato seeds
    1 tb peppercorns
    8 whole allspice
    2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp whole cloves
    2 tb salt
    8 minced garlic cloves
    3 roasted habaneros (devined,remove seeds)
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    Juice of 5 limes
    a Splash of tequila

1.mix all dry spices in a coffee grinder or spice mill. grind well...into a fine powder.
    2.in a blender or a food processor,blend all wet ingredients and the ground dry spices together.
    3.In zip-lock bag add the meat and marinade.shake well,marinate for 12-24hrs.
    4.in a baking pan, line it with the banana leaves (or tin foil)-you are going to be wrapping,the filling in them,so be sure to overlap them well and leave enough so the edges will overlap,making a tight package-dump the filling with marinade into the pan,wrap it with the banana leaves

Put some more leaves on top,cover the whole thing with tinfoil and seal the edges,do not let any steam escape.

YourPalWill [or anyone else who may know],

Thanks for posting the recipe. How long does the above recipe take in the slow cooker or crockpot?
    "Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens..."
    - Wyatt Earp, Tombstone
  • Post #28 - November 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm
    Post #28 - November 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm Post #28 - November 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm
    Hi,

Last week, Jewel had pork shoulder for 99 cents per pound. Mariano's has it for 77 cents per pound, though you need to clip an electronic coupon.

Bo ssam and Chinese BBQ pork are in my near future.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #29 - November 13th, 2020, 9:17 am
    Post #29 - November 13th, 2020, 9:17 am Post #29 - November 13th, 2020, 9:17 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Last week, Jewel had pork shoulder for 99 cents per pound.

Be careful at Jewel. Last time I bought shoulder there from the 'fresh meat counter' it was injected with a 10% solution. It wasn't labeled as such when I ordered it online and I only noticed it after I picked up my order and read the label.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #30 - November 13th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Post #30 - November 13th, 2020, 11:29 am Post #30 - November 13th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Thread celebrating cheap meat seems to be the appropriate place to throw in some links about meatpacker employees getting devastated by Covid:

The CDC
    Washington Post
    ProPublica
    New York Times

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide