LTH Home

  Openings and Closings, Comings and Goings

  Openings and Closings, Comings and Goings
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 15 of 73
  • Post #421 - February 11th, 2008, 12:22 am
    Post #421 - February 11th, 2008, 12:22 am Post #421 - February 11th, 2008, 12:22 am
    Jayz wrote:Well hopefully I don't go 0 for 2 on ths statement but...Kevin's Restaurant (yes thats the actual name) is closing. His fresh menu was really a delight. But don't worry, his new endeavor will be Shikago near the W on Adams. The dinning room is in the Lasalle building, I recommend trying it out.

    I hate to be a downer, and I hope you'll keep posting on what you find out about dining out in Chicago. But on these issues, you might want to check out:

    From 02/01/08:
    Kevin Closing

    from 1/31/07:
    Shikago
  • Post #422 - February 11th, 2008, 12:34 am
    Post #422 - February 11th, 2008, 12:34 am Post #422 - February 11th, 2008, 12:34 am
    Jayz wrote:Kevin's Restaurant (yes thats the actual name) is closing.


    You scared me for a second--I thought you meant Kevin's (Hamburger Heaven).
  • Post #423 - February 11th, 2008, 9:01 am
    Post #423 - February 11th, 2008, 9:01 am Post #423 - February 11th, 2008, 9:01 am
    FYI-Heard from the bartender that Tonellis will be there thru September so those who love it still have time for a few last visits
    apparently the Walgreens thing is a definite done deal...
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #424 - February 11th, 2008, 4:14 pm
    Post #424 - February 11th, 2008, 4:14 pm Post #424 - February 11th, 2008, 4:14 pm
    Both Tagine and Luna de Xelaju have closed in the last couple of months and been replaced by what are apparently Eastern European restaurants/coffee houses, most likely Bosnian.

    The storefront at 4609 North Lincoln has had quite a revolving cast of restaurants from Turkish to Indian to Egyptian. The very short-lived Egypt Kebab has been replaced by Skewers Grill. Menu in window shows a bunch of kebabs plus a pretty common set of Middle Eastern dishes including both chicken and beef shawerma. Prices are noticeably higher than in similar latitudes on Kedzie but may be a fair reflection of higher rents on Lincoln.

    Formerly Tagine
    Cafe Blu
    4749 North Rockwell

    Formerly Luna de Xelaju
    Z and Z Cafe
    4755 North Rockwell

    Formerly Egypt Kebab
    Skewers Grill
    4609 North Lincoln

    All Chicago 60625

    Not in Lincoln Square and more appropriate for Shopping, the Clark Market at 4855 North Kedzie is vacant with a for rent sign in the window. This is probably a reflection of the decreasing Korean presence in Albany Park.
  • Post #425 - February 11th, 2008, 6:26 pm
    Post #425 - February 11th, 2008, 6:26 pm Post #425 - February 11th, 2008, 6:26 pm
    As of today the phone at Verona Pizzeria on the 2000 block of Damen is disconnected. Guessing that means they are closed! That location is doomed, it seems--right next to Nick's Pit Stop across the street from the 7-11.

    We ordered from them every once in awhile since they were so close but they really weren't anything spectacular.
  • Post #426 - February 12th, 2008, 2:11 am
    Post #426 - February 12th, 2008, 2:11 am Post #426 - February 12th, 2008, 2:11 am
    nr706 wrote:
    Jayz wrote:Well hopefully I don't go 0 for 2 on ths statement but...Kevin's Restaurant (yes thats the actual name) is closing. His fresh menu was really a delight. But don't worry, his new endeavor will be Shikago near the W on Adams. The dinning room is in the Lasalle building, I recommend trying it out.

    I hate to be a downer, and I hope you'll keep posting on what you find out about dining out in Chicago. But on these issues, you might want to check out:

    From 02/01/08:
    Kevin Closing

    from 1/31/07:
    Shikago


    ....hahahaha :oops:

    See I don't have too much time to read all the threads to back up what I'm about to say...so I guess I'll be reading for now on rather than 'repeating'. :P
    GOOD TIMES!
  • Post #427 - February 12th, 2008, 2:23 am
    Post #427 - February 12th, 2008, 2:23 am Post #427 - February 12th, 2008, 2:23 am
    Jayz wrote:See I don't have too much time to read all the threads to back up what I'm about to say...so I guess I'll be reading for now on rather than 'repeating'. :P


    Not trying to speak for the moderators, but in my experience, there's no need to read every thread (although "search" can be your friend) and if you repeat something that's already been reported on, I think the general attitude is "no harm, no foul, no big deal." Sometimes moderators will just fold comments into the previous thread, other times you'll get references to previous threads, but in any case don't let it prevent you from posting your info, experiences and (especially) tastes.
  • Post #428 - February 13th, 2008, 6:42 pm
    Post #428 - February 13th, 2008, 6:42 pm Post #428 - February 13th, 2008, 6:42 pm
    Mhays wrote:
    Octarine wrote:In other Evanston news, Wild Geese is scheduled to open Feb. 7th


    I don't know if the timing is still working out, but I have intel that the name is going to be changed...


    As of today, this place has a large hand-lettered sign announcing "OPEN" in its front window.... but no signage on the outside indicating the name of the restaurant.

    If I hadn't been rendered inoperable by a huge Evanston Lunch Group™ lunch at Myron and Phil's (must get home and sleep....zzzzz), I would have stopped in to check it out.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

    "You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #429 - February 13th, 2008, 11:14 pm
    Post #429 - February 13th, 2008, 11:14 pm Post #429 - February 13th, 2008, 11:14 pm
    tarte tatin wrote:
    Mhays wrote:
    Octarine wrote:In other Evanston news, Wild Geese is scheduled to open Feb. 7th


    I don't know if the timing is still working out, but I have intel that the name is going to be changed...


    As of today, this place has a large hand-lettered sign announcing "OPEN" in its front window.... but no signage on the outside indicating the name of the restaurant.

    If I hadn't been rendered inoperable by a huge Evanston Lunch Group™ lunch at Myron and Phil's (must get home and sleep....zzzzz), I would have stopped in to check it out.


    On a whim, I stopped by tonight. A very impressive space. Very hip. Sleek accouterments juxtaposed with rough walls from the space's previous life as a factory producing A-V equipment.

    Apparently, today (Wednesday) is the second day they've been open, and they still seemed to be fairly busy at 10pm. The staff said they'd planned on a soft opening, but they've been slammed on both their first two days of business.

    There was a name change - it's now called Union Pizzeria - although clearly it doesn't aim to be a typical pizzeria - more something in the league of Spacca Napoli, Grupo di Amici, or Coalfire. The front room is dominated by a large, domed concrete-looking pizza oven, just behind the large bar. I didn't have any food, but the menu is mostly made up of "sharing plates" and pizzas ($11 - $14). They have a nice wine list with most bottles between $20 and $40, and a decent beer list - although it's all in bottles, except for Grolsch on tap.

    Run by the owners of Campagnola, down the street, this has a very Wicker Park feel to it; it'll be interesting to see how it does in Evanston, a bit removed from the area right around Northwestern. But it's a nice addition to the neighborhood, and I wish them well.

    Union Pizzeria
    1245 Chicago Ave.
    Evanston, IL 60202
    847-475-2400
  • Post #430 - February 13th, 2008, 11:46 pm
    Post #430 - February 13th, 2008, 11:46 pm Post #430 - February 13th, 2008, 11:46 pm
    MUCH better name IMO. This is right down the street from my store so I'll have to stop by soon.
    I love restaurants. You're sitting there and all of a sudden, there's food. It's like magic.
    - Brian Wilson
  • Post #431 - February 14th, 2008, 10:35 am
    Post #431 - February 14th, 2008, 10:35 am Post #431 - February 14th, 2008, 10:35 am
    i wish they were opening in bucktown, but that doesn't stop my excitement! aaargh, have to wait til april.

    http://www.chicagomag.com/Radar/Dish/Fe ... xcitement/
  • Post #432 - February 14th, 2008, 5:40 pm
    Post #432 - February 14th, 2008, 5:40 pm Post #432 - February 14th, 2008, 5:40 pm
    For those of us in Logan Square, it appears Chaley Thai has finally had the "Re-Grand Opening" as the sign has said for months.

    Have not confirmed that is it indeed actually open but the sign last week said it opens Feb 13.

    Jamie

    Charley Thai Cafe
    3209 W Armitage Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    Phone: (773) 278-3200
  • Post #433 - February 17th, 2008, 5:29 pm
    Post #433 - February 17th, 2008, 5:29 pm Post #433 - February 17th, 2008, 5:29 pm
    More info - and we may have even more: the pizzeria formerly known as "Wild Geese" has an "open" sign on the door - unfortunately, they aren't answering their phone, but the phone message calls the place "Union Pizzeria"

    We may give it a whirl tonight, if they are actually open.

    Wild Geese and/or Union Pizzeria, or maybe just Image
    (847) 475-2400
    1245 Chicago Ave
    Evanston
  • Post #434 - February 17th, 2008, 6:26 pm
    Post #434 - February 17th, 2008, 6:26 pm Post #434 - February 17th, 2008, 6:26 pm
    Yep, Image Pizzeria is open.
  • Post #435 - February 17th, 2008, 7:58 pm
    Post #435 - February 17th, 2008, 7:58 pm Post #435 - February 17th, 2008, 7:58 pm
    Mhays wrote:More info - and we may have even more: the pizzeria formerly known as "Wild Geese" has an "open" sign on the door - unfortunately, they aren't answering their phone, but the phone message calls the place "Union Pizzeria"

    We may give it a whirl tonight, if they are actually open.

    Wild Geese and/or Union Pizzeria, or maybe just Image
    (847) 475-2400
    1245 Chicago Ave
    Evanston


    FYI - they open every day at 4:30. The menu looks promising with a nice assortment of small plate items including pizzas. I wasn't able to dine there yet since my attempted visit was in the afternoon.
    I love restaurants. You're sitting there and all of a sudden, there's food. It's like magic.
    - Brian Wilson
  • Post #436 - February 17th, 2008, 8:33 pm
    Post #436 - February 17th, 2008, 8:33 pm Post #436 - February 17th, 2008, 8:33 pm
    I drove by very quickly and am not sure I got the name right, but there looks to be a new Ethiopian restaurant open or opening on Ashland about a block north of Bryn Mawr. I believe the name was Lalibela. A google search did not turn up a Lalibela in Chicago, but some in other cities. We're getting to have quite a bounty of Ethiopian restaurants.
  • Post #437 - February 18th, 2008, 12:28 pm
    Post #437 - February 18th, 2008, 12:28 pm Post #437 - February 18th, 2008, 12:28 pm
    Sadly, the Basil Leaf Cafe in Lincoln Park appears to have closed its doors, as the windows are boarded up while there is a "for lease" sign out front. The Basil Leaf was a great place for casual Italian dining with a nice outdoor garden in the Summer. I believe that the affiliated Sage Cafe across the street remains open.

    Basil Leaf Cafe
    2460 N. Clark
    Chicago, IL 60614
  • Post #438 - February 18th, 2008, 12:35 pm
    Post #438 - February 18th, 2008, 12:35 pm Post #438 - February 18th, 2008, 12:35 pm
    eddie5721 wrote:Sadly, the Basil Leaf Cafe in Lincoln Park appears to have closed its doors, as the windows are boarded up while there is a "for lease" sign out front. The Basil Leaf was a great place for casual Italian dining with a nice outdoor garden in the Summer. I believe that the affiliated Sage Cafe across the street remains open.

    Basil Leaf Cafe
    2460 N. Clark
    Chicago, IL 60614


    I think what happened there was Sage expanded into a space next store, and folded Basil Leaf into the larger space. A bar has been added and it looks like the "market" section of Sage has gone away.
    -Josh

    I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #439 - February 19th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Post #439 - February 19th, 2008, 1:19 pm Post #439 - February 19th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Has anyone got word if La Bella in Winnetka has or will be opening again after the fire? I called a few months ago and they metioned they were still fighting with the city and the landlord about reopening.
  • Post #440 - February 20th, 2008, 8:48 pm
    Post #440 - February 20th, 2008, 8:48 pm Post #440 - February 20th, 2008, 8:48 pm
    The Cheese Stands Alone is closing

    This weekend will be the end. The front case was empty when I stopped in this afternoon, but the rear case was still well supplied with cheese at regular prices. I will miss this store.
  • Post #441 - February 20th, 2008, 11:33 pm
    Post #441 - February 20th, 2008, 11:33 pm Post #441 - February 20th, 2008, 11:33 pm
    ekreider wrote:The Cheese Stands Alone is closing

    This weekend will be the end. The front case was empty when I stopped in this afternoon, but the rear case was still well supplied with cheese at regular prices. I will miss this store.


    Cheese Stands Alone was the first place I was nailed as an internet foodie type. I had read a post by Mike G extolling the virtues of 6-year-old gouda. When I asked for the same the guy gave a look over, "You must be one of those internet people. They all ask for the 6-year-old gouda. It is a mistake, I have 4-year-old gouda." Just for that moment alone, I will miss The Cheese Stands Alone.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #442 - February 20th, 2008, 11:43 pm
    Post #442 - February 20th, 2008, 11:43 pm Post #442 - February 20th, 2008, 11:43 pm
    ekreider wrote:The Cheese Stands Alone is closing

    This weekend will be the end. The front case was empty when I stopped in this afternoon, but the rear case was still well supplied with cheese at regular prices. I will miss this store.

    Terrible terrible news . . . what a loss. That being said, I'm just not that surprised. Almost every time I visited I was the only person in the place. I wonder if a location on Lincoln would have helped . . . unless you knew where they were, you weren't likely to pass it by and stop.
  • Post #443 - February 20th, 2008, 11:46 pm
    Post #443 - February 20th, 2008, 11:46 pm Post #443 - February 20th, 2008, 11:46 pm
    BR wrote:
    ekreider wrote:The Cheese Stands Alone is closing

    This weekend will be the end. The front case was empty when I stopped in this afternoon, but the rear case was still well supplied with cheese at regular prices. I will miss this store.

    Terrible terrible news . . . what a loss. That being said, I'm just not that surprised. Almost every time I visited I was the only person in the place. I wonder if a location on Lincoln would have helped . . . unless you knew where they were, you weren't likely to pass it by and stop.

    I agree that it will be missed and that the location wasn't so great. When Joe's was still there, it made for a nice 2-stopper but even then, for me, shopping in that area required a dedicated trip that was not always easy to plan.

    A very sad loss, indeed.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #444 - February 21st, 2008, 7:30 am
    Post #444 - February 21st, 2008, 7:30 am Post #444 - February 21st, 2008, 7:30 am
    ekreider wrote:The Cheese Stands Alone is closing

    I very much liked The Cheese Stands Alone and Matt Parker as well. I wish him luck.

    Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #445 - February 23rd, 2008, 10:09 am
    Post #445 - February 23rd, 2008, 10:09 am Post #445 - February 23rd, 2008, 10:09 am
    The Noodle (a pick your pasta, pick your sauce place), a remnant of Dancing Noodles, which started in Evanston on Central Street, is moving from its location across from the Glenview Metra Station, to the Old Depot in Wilmette. It's also changing its focus to Nuevo Latin food.

    The full story.
  • Post #446 - February 23rd, 2008, 9:15 pm
    Post #446 - February 23rd, 2008, 9:15 pm Post #446 - February 23rd, 2008, 9:15 pm
    The Evanston Roundtable (2/20) reports that the Bravo chain of Italian restaurants may be opening a restaurant in the space vacated by Wolfgang Puck at Church and Maple in downtown Evanston. Bravo currently has one Illinois location--in the Glen at Glenview.

    From the Bravo website:
    BRAVO! is a fun, white-tablecloth casual eatery offering great Italian food under a Roman ruin decor.
    The concept is positioned between the fine-dining and casual chains, with a menu emphasis on food that is fresh, made-to-order and made using authentic Italian cooking methods.
    Our subtitle "Cucina Italiana" or "Italian Kitchen" is appropriate in that all of the cooking is done exhibition style — in full view of the guest. BRAVO!' has among the highest average unit sales in the industry and has been voted "Best Italian" in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New Orleans. The average BRAVO! Cucina Italiana seats 200 guests in 6,800 square feet of space.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

    "You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #447 - February 23rd, 2008, 10:39 pm
    Post #447 - February 23rd, 2008, 10:39 pm Post #447 - February 23rd, 2008, 10:39 pm
    tarte tatin wrote:From the Bravo website:
    BRAVO! is a fun, white-tablecloth casual eatery offering great Italian food under a Roman ruin decor.
    The concept is positioned between the fine-dining and casual chains, with a menu emphasis on food that is fresh, made-to-order and made using authentic Italian cooking methods.
    Our subtitle "Cucina Italiana" or "Italian Kitchen" is appropriate in that all of the cooking is done exhibition style — in full view of the guest. BRAVO!' has among the highest average unit sales in the industry and has been voted "Best Italian" in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New Orleans. The average BRAVO! Cucina Italiana seats 200 guests in 6,800 square feet of space.


    And while we are on a Bravo note, Bravo on Division is no more. Looks like another restaurnt will be opening in it's place. I believe it was called 50/Fifty (it might have been the other way around).

    Bravo Tapas & Lounge (Closed)
    2047 W Division St

    There also looks to be another new place opening up down the street, 2100 block of W Division. I can't remember the name but it billed itself as a wine and chocolate cafe.

    SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

    Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #448 - February 24th, 2008, 10:01 am
    Post #448 - February 24th, 2008, 10:01 am Post #448 - February 24th, 2008, 10:01 am
    tarte tatin wrote:has been voted "Best Italian" in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New Orleans.


    Well - without ever having eaten there, I'll make the general assumption that, in Cincinnati, this may well be true ...
  • Post #449 - February 24th, 2008, 12:02 pm
    Post #449 - February 24th, 2008, 12:02 pm Post #449 - February 24th, 2008, 12:02 pm
    headcase wrote:There also looks to be another new place opening up down the street, 2100 block of W Division. I can't remember the name but it billed itself as a wine and chocolate cafe.


    That new spot at 2113 W Division will be Chocolate Grape, a cafe focusing on wine, chocolate and cheese. Chef Pat told me that they hope to open mid-March.

    Three of my favorite food groups, and since I live in the 'hood it will hopefully be a regular hangout.
    - Mark

    Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon? Ham? Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.
  • Post #450 - February 24th, 2008, 12:10 pm
    Post #450 - February 24th, 2008, 12:10 pm Post #450 - February 24th, 2008, 12:10 pm
    Sushi X on Diversey and Hampden will be opening on Tuesday.

    Also, there is a sign up for a new crepe place right next door to Lito's Empanadas at Clark and Wrightwood.
    -Josh

    I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more