LTH Home

Intriguing no-knead bread

Intriguing no-knead bread
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 6
  • Post #91 - January 9th, 2008, 9:43 am
    Post #91 - January 9th, 2008, 9:43 am Post #91 - January 9th, 2008, 9:43 am
    FrankP wrote:Has anyone with a Le Creuset dutch oven or similiar enameled cast iron dutch oven, noticed any problems with the knob blistering or cracking or with the enameled finish discoloring, chipping or cracking? The recipe calls for heating a dutch oven to 500 degrees F before adding the dough. This is above the manufacturer's maximum recommended temperature of 450F and involves heating an empty pan, something that Le Creuset does not recommend. I'm reluctant to experiment given the replacement cost. Maybe the answer is to purchase a basic cast iron Lodge dutch oven to use for bread baking. Any feeback would be appreciated.

The recipe calls for 450 degrees not 500. In any case, Le Creuset is supposed to offer an all metal knob that you can purchase to replace the knob that comes with the cookware. It has also been suggested to replace the knob with a bolt and nuts.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #92 - January 9th, 2008, 1:03 pm
    Post #92 - January 9th, 2008, 1:03 pm Post #92 - January 9th, 2008, 1:03 pm
    FrankP wrote:Has anyone with a Le Creuset dutch oven or similiar enameled cast iron dutch oven, noticed any problems with the knob blistering or cracking or with the enameled finish discoloring, chipping or cracking? The recipe calls for heating a dutch oven to 500 degrees F before adding the dough. This is above the manufacturer's maximum recommended temperature of 450F and involves heating an empty pan, something that Le Creuset does not recommend. I'm reluctant to experiment given the replacement cost. Maybe the answer is to purchase a basic cast iron Lodge dutch oven to use for bread baking. Any feeback would be appreciated.

I have done this twice in my Le Crueset. The knob loosened but it has hung on in there. Both times I have wrapped the knob in foil. The first time I cooked at 550. There is some burning but it is cleanable. We live in a condo so there will only be one giant cast iron pot in our household.

But the knob is replaceable. Good homemade bread is not. Go for the 500.

Also, I am going to stick to my Vogue recipe. Higher temp.
    I'm not Angry, I'm hungry.
  • Post #93 - January 10th, 2008, 12:15 am
    Post #93 - January 10th, 2008, 12:15 am Post #93 - January 10th, 2008, 12:15 am
    Just wanted to share: There was a story in today's Trib food section about a quick no-knead bread that stays in the fridge for weeks and can be put together quickly, and I had to try it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 8363.story

It was quite easy and very good. Recipe says it makes about 4 loaves, I can totally see getting 5-6 by making the loaves smaller. I ordered the book today, it gets great raves on Amazon.
  • Post #94 - January 22nd, 2008, 5:26 pm
    Post #94 - January 22nd, 2008, 5:26 pm Post #94 - January 22nd, 2008, 5:26 pm
    I have made 3 loaves of this bread in the last 2 weeks, and man is it good. As other posters have noted - crispy crust, great crumb, but kinda bland using Gold Metal White AP Flour and Red Star Yeast. I just put in an order for different flours and the LA2 Champagne yeast from King Arthur, and can't wait to add it to a bit of whole wheat and white bread flour and see what that gets me.

In the meantime, Mrs MelT's birthday is on the way, and she likes nothing more than the chocolate french toast at Bongo Room. It is made with chocolate bread. I would like to try and make said bread, and attempted to do so by substituting 1 cup of cocoa for 1 cup of four and adding 1/2 cup of sugar. The result was . . .ummm. . . a bit much. I know I probably overdid it with the cocoa, and that I can fix. The other problem was that the loaf was dense - or more specifically, not permiable - and did not allow the custard used for making french toast seep into the crumb. I noticed a similar problem with the white no-knead bread I made. There are plenty of bubbles, but the surface of the crumb seems more soak-resistant. Maybe it is because of the high amount of moisture already in the loaf.

Has anyone else tried to make french toast out of the no-knead bread? Any problems?

And can anyone give me a tip for converting this to a chocolate bread loaf? What happens to the chemistry of the bread when one adds cocoa? Or sugar? Can I add something to add richness to the batter, like milk? Or egg?

I appreciate any tips!
    Today I caught that fish again, that lovely silver prince of fishes,
    And once again he offered me, if I would only set him free—
    Any one of a number of wonderful wishes... He was delicious! - Shel Silverstein
  • Post #95 - January 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm
    Post #95 - January 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm Post #95 - January 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm
    Sorry I can't comment onthe chocolate situation MelT but will anxiously await whatever advice you receive!!

I myself ordered the book, which is maybe over the top since they use really big print and re-print the basic recipe every time to stretch it out. However, I'm anxious to look through it and start trying some other versions.

One small mistake I made last night....I heated up my pizza stone (on the bottom rack of the oven) for a long time, leaving the pie plate that I'd used for the steaming water (on top rack) in there the whole time. Well in case anyone forgets, let me remind you you cannot pour water into a glass plate that has been roasting at 425 for a while without shattering the glass plate. :oops: What a waste of a nice looking bread. :cry:
  • Post #96 - January 27th, 2008, 1:06 pm
    Post #96 - January 27th, 2008, 1:06 pm Post #96 - January 27th, 2008, 1:06 pm
    MelT wrote:
    Has anyone else tried to make french toast out of the no-knead bread? Any problems?

And can anyone give me a tip for converting this to a chocolate bread loaf? What happens to the chemistry of the bread when one adds cocoa? Or sugar? Can I add something to add richness to the batter, like milk? Or egg?

I appreciate any tips!

we've been making no-knead bread for almost a year now. we've modified it so it's super easy-- ingredients in our bread machine on dough cycle, leave it in the machine with foil covering it overnight, tip out, put in pan to rise for the extra 2 hours.

i did french toast recently and noticed that the bread that was quite stale worked better than the fresher stuff. so maybe worth slicing in advance and letting it sit out?

i wouldn't add milk to this recipe, just on account of leaving it out at room temp or above for so long. if i were going to do chocolate no-knead i'd add some cocoa powder and chocolate chunks along with the normal recipe, plus a little honey or sugar syrup. i haven't tried it, though, so no idea if it would work, but it could be a yummy experiment!
  • Post #97 - January 27th, 2008, 2:54 pm
    Post #97 - January 27th, 2008, 2:54 pm Post #97 - January 27th, 2008, 2:54 pm
    sujormik, thanks for posting a link. I can't wait to try this!!!! Gotta rummage through the fridge and see if I still have a yeast packet...

Has anyone compared Hertzberg's recipe with the other no-knead one (the one mentioned in the beginning of this thread)?
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #98 - January 28th, 2008, 11:56 am
    Post #98 - January 28th, 2008, 11:56 am Post #98 - January 28th, 2008, 11:56 am
    Have not tried this chocolate no-knead bread recipe but intend to. It calls for 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa. If you make it for your wife's birthday breakfast, post your results!

http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/2008/0 ... ate-bread/
  • Post #99 - January 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm
    Post #99 - January 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm Post #99 - January 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm
    I did this bread again last weekend and I am getting pretty confident of the procedure.

After the 18 hours rise, some kneading, then 2 hour rise of the dough I heat the oven to 500 with the pot in there. I am putting the dough on parchment paper for the second rise for easy dumping into the superhot pot. I also put a small handful of medium ground cornmeal on the bottom - for both taste and to keep the bread from sticking. Then another small handful of sea salt on the top- 'cause everyone loves salt. I tried to score the top but had limited success.

30 minutes with lid on the pot, 15 to 20 with the lid off.

I was quite happy with the result.
    I'm not Angry, I'm hungry.
  • Post #100 - February 11th, 2008, 6:05 pm
    Post #100 - February 11th, 2008, 6:05 pm Post #100 - February 11th, 2008, 6:05 pm
    My dough was in the middle of its second (2-hour) rise yesterday when I had a change in dinner plans. I'd been curious to see how this dough held up if the dough was refrigerated after the second rise, it provided me the opportunity to carry out my experiment.

Fortunately, I was already doing the second rise in a large'ish Tupperware container, so once the rise was complete, I simply snapped on the lid and stuck it in the fridge. About 90 minutes before I planned to bake it this afternoon, I took it out to warm up. Within an hour the top of the container popped open, so it was obviously warming up--and the yeast was still at work. I got it into the oven as quickly as possible.

As I was transferring it to my Dutch oven, I noticed that the dough was slightly softer, and not holding its shape, as well as it had been before I refrigerated it.

It cooked up beautifully, though wasn't as high as its been every time I've cooked it immediately. I've now made this bread about 5 times, and I've gotten to the point where I'm taking it out after 40 minutes (30 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered) because it was starting to get too dark--almost burnt--on the bottom. I took this batch out of the oven after 40 minutes, and after about an hour of cooling it, I noticed that the crust--which was nice and hard when I took it out of the oven--has softened up a little. I attribute this more to a too-short cooking time, and less to the refrigeration. (To complicate matters, I've made 5 loaves in 3 different ovens, so I may be adjusting the baking time in reaction to temperature discrepencies between ovens. Today's batch was cooked in my home oven, and next time I cook it here, I'll definitely remember that it needs at least 42-43 minutes of baking time. My boyfriend's oven, closer to 40 minutes.)
  • Post #101 - February 11th, 2008, 6:45 pm
    Post #101 - February 11th, 2008, 6:45 pm Post #101 - February 11th, 2008, 6:45 pm
    I made my first loaf, and no surprise to all of you here, it was wonderful. I made it almost as originally described, but added 1T "vital Wheat Gluten" which I always add to my bread dough. I baked at 450 for 30 min covered and 15 minutes uncovered. I would proudly put this next to any ciabatta you'd find in a store,and challange anyone to tell which came from a bakery. The crust and crumb were perfect. Only change for next time is that I will increase the salt from 1.25 t to 1.75.

My question to you bakers - I would like to bake just half the dough next time, the full loaf is too much for us (yes, we CAN and DID eat it in one day, but a half batch would be better for our waistlines.)

What is the best baking time - covered and uncovered - for a half batch?
  • Post #102 - February 11th, 2008, 7:09 pm
    Post #102 - February 11th, 2008, 7:09 pm Post #102 - February 11th, 2008, 7:09 pm
    HiHoHiHo wrote:I made my first loaf, and no surprise to all of you here, it was wonderful. I made it almost as originally described, but added 1T "vital Wheat Gluten" which I always add to my bread dough. I baked at 450 for 30 min covered and 15 minutes uncovered. I would proudly put this next to any ciabatta you'd find in a store,and challange anyone to tell which came from a bakery. The crust and crumb were perfect. Only change for next time is that I will increase the salt from 1.25 t to 1.75.

My question to you bakers - I would like to bake just half the dough next time, the full loaf is too much for us (yes, we CAN and DID eat it in one day, but a half batch would be better for our waistlines.)

I can't answer your half-batch cooking time, but...I've found that it keeps well for a couple days if wrapped in foil. You'll lose the crunch of the crust unless you toast it, but it's still tasty a couple days later!
  • Post #103 - February 13th, 2008, 6:25 pm
    Post #103 - February 13th, 2008, 6:25 pm Post #103 - February 13th, 2008, 6:25 pm
    I read somewhere that this would work in a crock pot insert with an aluminum foil lid. Since I don't have a Le Creuset or any other kind of Dutch oven, that's what I've gone with and it works wonderfully. I love that I didn't have to run out and buy anything else! Someday I'll get a Le Creuset, or even a Lodge, but until then I'm doing just fine.
  • Post #104 - February 13th, 2008, 7:51 pm
    Post #104 - February 13th, 2008, 7:51 pm Post #104 - February 13th, 2008, 7:51 pm
    HiHoHiHo wrote:What is the best baking time - covered and uncovered - for a half batch?

I've done this before, but I don't quite remember the baking time. I think it was about 30 minutes total. But, I also baked it in a corningware casserole in a convection toaster oven, so I don't know if that made a difference.

-gtgirl
  • Post #105 - February 14th, 2008, 1:12 pm
    Post #105 - February 14th, 2008, 1:12 pm Post #105 - February 14th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Ok, I tried it at 20 minutes covered and 15 minutes covered, and in turns out the browning, doneness, and color, everything was ok.
    BUT, the crumb was much more dense than my prevous full-size batch. no big holes. This could be attributed to the rising times before baking, but I thought I was doing everything the same. It just didn't rise more in the oven at all. Usually the baking will produce addl rise.

If others have suggestions for baking times for half batches, please post! thank you
  • Post #106 - March 18th, 2008, 11:32 am
    Post #106 - March 18th, 2008, 11:32 am Post #106 - March 18th, 2008, 11:32 am
    Read all the thread, stumbled through some really engenious and creative ways around the whole lecruset thing. interestingly enough the New WS mailer has this recipe in it as well. Made it today, loaf was a bit flat due to excessive water used. Do a search for "no knead bread" watch the NY times video. he uses 1.5 cups not 1 and 5/8ths the next time I will reduce water to 1.5 I am sure it will be great.

Pan used 5 qt calpahlon foil on top and then the lid - i read one poster that didnt cover the bread at all. I am no baker but the large amount of water to flour is most likely the reason this works so well in the first place cover it people..... :D

Because the pan is an aluminum heavy guage I lowered the temp to 425F this was perfect, great chewy crust, nice crumb.

Added two teaspoons of rosemary and two of lemon zest, quite nice. Enjoy this recipe, buy yourself a cheap cast iron "dutch oven and have some fun.
  • Post #107 - March 20th, 2008, 12:15 pm
    Post #107 - March 20th, 2008, 12:15 pm Post #107 - March 20th, 2008, 12:15 pm
    HiHoHiHo wrote:What is the best baking time - covered and uncovered - for a half batch?

Ok, I tried it at 20 minutes covered and 15 minutes covered, and in turns out the browning, doneness, and color, everything was ok.
    BUT, the crumb was much more dense than my prevous full-size batch. no big holes. This could be attributed to the rising times before baking, but I thought I was doing everything the same. It just didn't rise more in the oven at all. Usually the baking will produce addl rise.

If others have suggestions for baking times for half batches, please post! thank you

I have been making half size loaves in the Lodge 2 quart cast iron serving pot and I still bake it at 450 for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered. They turn out great.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #108 - March 21st, 2008, 7:48 pm
    Post #108 - March 21st, 2008, 7:48 pm Post #108 - March 21st, 2008, 7:48 pm
    I baked the same bread and did it with a large but simple casserole dish with a lid (bottom ceramic and top glass). It worked perfectly. Expensive equipment is not a barrier to this excellent recipe.
  • Post #109 - January 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
    Post #109 - January 6th, 2009, 9:21 am Post #109 - January 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
    sujormik wrote:Just wanted to share: There was a story in today's Trib food section about a quick no-knead bread that stays in the fridge for weeks and can be put together quickly, and I had to try it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 8363.story

It was quite easy and very good. Recipe says it makes about 4 loaves, I can totally see getting 5-6 by making the loaves smaller. I ordered the book today, it gets great raves on Amazon.
    I didn't get a pizza stone until this summer, so I didn't get around to cranking up the oven to 450 until last night. We loved this recipe. I think it was better than the NYT NKB. I halved the recipe and made the dough on Saturday afternoon. The slashes on top aren't deep enough, but it was delicious nonetheless. I can't wait to make their pizza dough and the other recipes in this book. The authors have two websites that serve as great resources.
    Zoe Bakes
    Artisan Bread in Five
    Last edited by Pucca on January 6th, 2009, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #110 - January 6th, 2009, 9:54 am
    Post #110 - January 6th, 2009, 9:54 am Post #110 - January 6th, 2009, 9:54 am
    I baked a loaf of the no-knead bread just yesterday using Cook's Illustrated's 2.0 recipe. I hadn't made it for months, and it was as delicious as I remembered. Alas, no pizza peel, but maybe the Trib's recipe can be modified using a preheated Dutch oven (uncovered).
  • Post #111 - January 6th, 2009, 11:45 am
    Post #111 - January 6th, 2009, 11:45 am Post #111 - January 6th, 2009, 11:45 am
    I recently tried Bittman's no-knead whole wheat bread, which is mostly whole wheat, with some rye and cornmeal. The bread was total brick, virtually no rising took place. The flavor would have been good, had you not needed a chain saw to cut a slice. I realize that you don't get the same rise with these grains as with white flour, but this was just wrong. The recipe must be a delicate one, and something on my end was off (room temp., etc.), because I'm sure this wasn't what Bittman intended. Oh well.

Jonah
  • Post #112 - January 6th, 2009, 5:03 pm
    Post #112 - January 6th, 2009, 5:03 pm Post #112 - January 6th, 2009, 5:03 pm
    Jonah wrote:I recently tried Bittman's no-knead whole wheat bread, which is mostly whole wheat, with some rye and cornmeal. The bread was total brick, virtually no rising took place. The flavor would have been good, had you not needed a chain saw to cut a slice. I realize that you don't get the same rise with these grains as with white flour, but this was just wrong. The recipe must be a delicate one, and something on my end was off (room temp., etc.), because I'm sure this wasn't what Bittman intended. Oh well.

Jonah

You might want to try the Cook's Illustrated version of whole-wheat almost-no-knead bread. My aunt made it for Xmas Eve and it was delicious!
  • Post #113 - January 6th, 2009, 5:42 pm
    Post #113 - January 6th, 2009, 5:42 pm Post #113 - January 6th, 2009, 5:42 pm
    The Cook's Illustrated no knead whole wheat, as I recall, is actually more white flour than whole wheat. What attracted me to Bittman's recipe is that it's 100% whole grain. Perhaps this was a case is wrong expectations. Further research found this, and the picture is not too different from what I got:

http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/about-that-whole-wheat-brick/

Bittman also talks about the bread as a good vehicle for hummous, which I do not recall in the original article. So it looks like I wasn't too far off what was intended. Perhaps with a few tweaks this recipe would produce a good product.

Jonah
  • Post #114 - January 6th, 2009, 5:56 pm
    Post #114 - January 6th, 2009, 5:56 pm Post #114 - January 6th, 2009, 5:56 pm
    Whole-grain breads are notoriously difficult - they don't develop gluten the way white flour does, and thus don't trap as much air. When we made whole-grain bread when I was a kid, it was always in quotation marks: we added some wheat gluten.

Has anybody tried anything other than the first recipe from the five-minutes-a-day book? Brioche and challah seem interesting, but I can't get past a plain old boule since it's our fave.
  • Post #115 - January 6th, 2009, 6:09 pm
    Post #115 - January 6th, 2009, 6:09 pm Post #115 - January 6th, 2009, 6:09 pm
    Mhays wrote:Has anybody tried anything other than the first recipe from the five-minutes-a-day book?

The raisin walnut oatmeal bread is quite nice. I also subbed cranberries and pistachios using the same recipe for a red-green christmas-ish loaf and it got the thumbs up.
  • Post #116 - January 11th, 2009, 10:15 pm
    Post #116 - January 11th, 2009, 10:15 pm Post #116 - January 11th, 2009, 10:15 pm
    I made my first batch of almost-no-knead whole wheat bread using the Cook's Illustrated recipe. (As others have pointed out, this recipe actually calls for 2 c white flour and 1 c whole wheat flour.) I was thrilled with the results, as were the others who helped me devour the loaf. It looks and tastes like a whole wheat bread, and is a bit more dense than the white version of this recipe, yet it still produces some nice height, tasty crumb and wonderful crust.

One note: For the first time since I started using the Cook's Illustrated recipe, I made the dough and, after completing the second rise, put it in the fridge to be baked later. Fast forward 24 hours and I was ready to bake it. I took it out of the fridge about an hour before putting it in the oven and it baked up perfectly. Personally, the toughest thing about making this bread is fitting it into my schedule...you have to start making it about 12-22 hours before you want to eat it. Sometimes it is a less-than-ideal window, so I'm happy to know that I can make it further in advance and cook it when I'm ready.
  • Post #117 - January 12th, 2009, 2:21 am
    Post #117 - January 12th, 2009, 2:21 am Post #117 - January 12th, 2009, 2:21 am
    I used to love that about gluten-flour bread making. I had a cool (well, pretty cold) garage in the winter and I'd use a low-yeast method that took several hours to rise. If I put it in the garage, I could easily retard the yeast development to a snail's pace and then go shopping, etc. while it rose. It's a great technique for fitting bread making into a busy schedule.
  • Post #118 - January 23rd, 2010, 11:20 pm
    Post #118 - January 23rd, 2010, 11:20 pm Post #118 - January 23rd, 2010, 11:20 pm
    I tried my hand at bread from scratch today. I hadn't had success with bread before. This was my first try in well over 20 years. I went with Cook's Illustrated's Almost no-knead. We loved the finished product so much that I started another loaf this evening. Here's a picture. I did the olive variation without the cheese as requested by DH.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #119 - January 24th, 2010, 12:26 pm
    Post #119 - January 24th, 2010, 12:26 pm Post #119 - January 24th, 2010, 12:26 pm
    I got Jim Lahey's My Bread for xmas.

While I have strayed from his recipes a little - it's easy great bread.

I measure the flour and water by weight, the salt and yeast by measuring spoon - I stick to his formulas here.

I BARELY get the stuff mixed together with a fork, then I let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Then I give it a quick knead, just enough to get it all together, which is so much easier after that rest. Thanks Alton Brown for teaching me the value of the rest, and I have no idea why Jim Lahey didn't suggest it as well.

I let it rise anywhere from 18 hours to 2 days. I never really intend to wait 2 days, but I have gotten busy and done that, and it still came out great.

Sometimes I put the dough straight from the rising bowl into the heated enameled cast iron pot (with foil replacing the handle).

Sometimes I put it on oiled parchment for an hour or two - then into the heated pot. This is a little better than just dumping it in there, but either are quite good.

The reason I put it on oiled parchment rather than a floured towel is because I simply like the crust better this way. It browns better and is chewy but not tough. And I simply never liked that dusting of flour on the outside of bread.

I cook it 30 minutes covered - that's it. I love this crust. Golden brown and delicious, chewy but not so chewy that it's hard to make a sandwich of it.

I like the cheese bread the best. You don't end up with pockets of cheese in the bread. You do get some caramelized cheese on the crust, and some really greasy holes. The cheese just melts into the bread, giving it a great richness.

Oh, and if you like mushrooms, and haven't seen the book - get it, from the library or wherever. Make his mushroom pizza. Follow the recipe, don't get tempted to make it more traditional with sauce or cheese. It is a celebration of mushrooms and is simply amazing.
  • Post #120 - January 24th, 2010, 12:39 pm
    Post #120 - January 24th, 2010, 12:39 pm Post #120 - January 24th, 2010, 12:39 pm
    Nancy S wrote:
    I cook it 30 minutes covered - that's it. I love this crust. Golden brown and delicious, chewy but not so chewy that it's hard to make a sandwich of it.

Second loaf complete. Bottom still too brown. It always looks done after the 30 minutes covered. Until I get the thermometer I think I will follow your rule of 30 minutes covered. Thanks. I suspect I will bake another loaf by week's end.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more