LTH Home

You know you're an LTHer when . . .

You know you're an LTHer when . . .
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 17
  • Post #91 - February 14th, 2008, 7:12 pm
    Post #91 - February 14th, 2008, 7:12 pm Post #91 - February 14th, 2008, 7:12 pm
    You could listen to this woman talk for hours about her profession.
  • Post #92 - February 17th, 2008, 12:43 pm
    Post #92 - February 17th, 2008, 12:43 pm Post #92 - February 17th, 2008, 12:43 pm
    Your kind husband does a search on the internet for an ingredient you've been unable to find...and brings up your LTH thread about it on Google.
  • Post #93 - April 7th, 2008, 10:15 am
    Post #93 - April 7th, 2008, 10:15 am Post #93 - April 7th, 2008, 10:15 am
    happy_stomach wrote:...when GWiv starts appearing in your dreams.

I, too, have now had the experience of LTHForum entering my dreamspace.

Dream #1

LTH is going nuts, Smoque- and Depot Diner-style, for this ramshackle coffee shop that serves "great" coffee shop-style burgers, but has garnered detractors because it is located in a "bad" neighborhood with a scruffy clientele. In my dream, I am now at the federal courthouse in Waukegan, only to discover that the very coffee shop which has enchanted LTH is right across the street! So I go in, and the place isa dump, and sit down just as GWiv and Stevez walk in, cameras slung over their shoulders, ready to check this place out. We chat . . . and Gary comments that "he doesn't understand why this place gets such a bad rap (for its dinginess)," when a rat comes out of nowhere and scurries over our feet . . .

Dream # 2

[This is one of those run-in-a-loop dreams, where the same sequence plays itself over and over again . . .]

In my dream, I am looking at LTH on my laptop, and for some reason, the entire "Beyond Chicagoland" board was taken over by Stevez and his threads regarding minutiae about Destin, Fla. Such as, "The Starbucks on Main Street in Destin, Fla.," or "The Best Place to Get a Sandwich in Destin, Fla." And in my dream, I'm confused, thinking that I've been to Destin, Fla. (I haven't, really), and it's not that interesting so why is LTH obsessed with Destin, Fla.? [Then it replays.]
  • Post #94 - April 7th, 2008, 12:37 pm
    Post #94 - April 7th, 2008, 12:37 pm Post #94 - April 7th, 2008, 12:37 pm
    aschie30 wrote:In my dream, I am looking at LTH on my laptop, and for some reason, the entire "Beyond Chicagoland" board was taken over by Stevez and his threads regarding minutiae about Destin, Fla. Such as, "The Starbucks on Main Street in Destin, Fla.," or "The Best Place to Get a Sandwich in Destin, Fla." And in my dream, I'm confused, thinking that I've been to Destin, Fla. (I haven't, really), and it's not that interesting so why is LTH obsessed with Destin, Fla.? [Then it replays.]

Sounds like an April Fool's joke as if we adopted a new city and state as our reason-to-be.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #95 - April 7th, 2008, 1:25 pm
    Post #95 - April 7th, 2008, 1:25 pm Post #95 - April 7th, 2008, 1:25 pm
    I, too, have now had the experience of LTHForum entering my dreamspace.

I'll third this. I'm beginning to think G Wiv is actually Morpheus. The other night, he was sitting at a rustic picnic table in the outdoor seating area of this random South Side restaurant he had just discovered, and was openly weeping with joy that I had come all the way down to meet him for lunch. "This place is going to change the whole way people eat in this area," he cried. "Sometimes life ain't [I swear he said ain't] great, and then you just find a gem like this. That's eating."
  • Post #96 - April 7th, 2008, 1:36 pm
    Post #96 - April 7th, 2008, 1:36 pm Post #96 - April 7th, 2008, 1:36 pm
    Santander wrote:"Sometimes life ain't [I swear he said ain't] great, and then you just find a gem like this. That's eating."

This should be the forum's new banner quote. It will be LTH's first existential banner quote.
  • Post #97 - April 7th, 2008, 3:10 pm
    Post #97 - April 7th, 2008, 3:10 pm Post #97 - April 7th, 2008, 3:10 pm
    During the 1992 presidential elections, a book came out called "Dreams of Bill" which was a collection of the dreams people all over the country were having about Bill Clinton. Dreams of Bill were apparently so common as to be considered a phenomenon. And no, they were not necessarily sexual in nature, though some were. I may still have a copy of the book as someone had given it to me as a fun gift during the election year.

I think it's time to start a "Dreams of Gary" section on LTH as I too have had a dream about Gary in the last few weeks. In my dream, I had introduced him to a colleague of mine who runs a summer camp program for underserved kids. We had a nice meeting over lunch. Ironically, the details of the lunch - where we ate, what we had- were not central in my dream. After lunch, Gary offers to give us both a ride back to our offices. He goes off and pulls up in a Humvee. Not a Hummer, but the massive full-size Humvee. It was black. And in the dream, I was very sad because the fact that he drove a Hummer would temper my overall respect and admiration for him. I hid my disappointment and climbed in with a bit of a sigh. That's all I can remember.
  • Post #98 - April 7th, 2008, 4:06 pm
    Post #98 - April 7th, 2008, 4:06 pm Post #98 - April 7th, 2008, 4:06 pm
    aschie30 wrote:In my dream, I am looking at LTH on my laptop, and for some reason, the entire "Beyond Chicagoland" board was taken over by Stevez and his threads regarding minutiae about Destin, Fla.

Be carful what you dream. I'm leaving for FL in the A.M. :wink:

Personally, I think my posts about Fayetteville, ARare probably the least useful (to the public at large) I have ever posted...but someone actually ended up going there and taking a couple of tips; so you never know.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #99 - April 7th, 2008, 4:10 pm
    Post #99 - April 7th, 2008, 4:10 pm Post #99 - April 7th, 2008, 4:10 pm
    Hi,

To slightly change the direction of the conversation ...

It took me a month to coordinate my swim class and visit to the nail doctor on the same day as Dempster Fish, which is closed on Tuesdays. I could have gone on Tuesday any time this last month. I don't go to swim class on Wednesday. It seemed like a waste of effort to go unless I got some sushi, too. While most people would consider each activity mutually exclusive, I didn't and had to wait for everything to line up. Yet, I could have gone for sushi and skipped the other two activities. I have my priorities, they are just a bit off kilter with the rest of the world. :roll:
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #100 - April 7th, 2008, 6:11 pm
    Post #100 - April 7th, 2008, 6:11 pm Post #100 - April 7th, 2008, 6:11 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I don't go to swim class on Wednesday. It seemed like a waste of effort to go unless I got some sushi, too. While most people would consider each activity mutually exclusive, I didn't and had to wait for everything to line up. Yet, I could have gone for sushi and skipped the other two activities.

Sounds like a <b>Finding Nemo</b> moment :lol:
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #101 - April 8th, 2008, 1:10 pm
    Post #101 - April 8th, 2008, 1:10 pm Post #101 - April 8th, 2008, 1:10 pm
    you know you are an LTH'r when:

1) you carry a worn out copy of the GNR restaurant list in your wallet with check marks next to the places you have been.

2) you go to 3 different GNR's for lunch on a Saturday(Smoque, Semiramis, & SunWah)
  • Post #102 - April 8th, 2008, 1:57 pm
    Post #102 - April 8th, 2008, 1:57 pm Post #102 - April 8th, 2008, 1:57 pm
    You consider selling your house in the 'burbs so you can be closer to the city where the majority of the restaurants aren't such a long drive.

You come here searching for recommendations in other cities/states/countries - and find them.
  • Post #103 - April 8th, 2008, 9:59 pm
    Post #103 - April 8th, 2008, 9:59 pm Post #103 - April 8th, 2008, 9:59 pm
    Dreaming of Gwiv and cronies. Im almost in tears reading these because I once had a dream that I was somewhere in Jamaica and stumbled upon an LTHforum Jerk-a-thon led by SteveZ and GWiv, and the only picture I remember was a plate of pork and something "organic" the locals like to partake in being passed around. I knew then and there I was thinking a little too much about food a little too often and needed to switch my homepage back to espn.com
  • Post #104 - April 8th, 2008, 10:07 pm
    Post #104 - April 8th, 2008, 10:07 pm Post #104 - April 8th, 2008, 10:07 pm
    When G Wiv has visited the dreams of at least five LTHers in the past month, I think a public explanation is needed. There has to be some higher meaning at work, and I think it smells like good woodsmoke.
  • Post #105 - April 8th, 2008, 10:08 pm
    Post #105 - April 8th, 2008, 10:08 pm Post #105 - April 8th, 2008, 10:08 pm
    Da Beef wrote:an LTHforum Jerk-a-thon led by SteveZ and GWiv

This is a very, very, very disturbing image.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #106 - April 9th, 2008, 8:50 am
    Post #106 - April 9th, 2008, 8:50 am Post #106 - April 9th, 2008, 8:50 am
    ...your trying to figure out way's to smuggle large amounts of Pimento wood into the US from Jamaica.
  • Post #107 - April 9th, 2008, 12:09 pm
    Post #107 - April 9th, 2008, 12:09 pm Post #107 - April 9th, 2008, 12:09 pm
    ... you convince your own mother help lie your way through customs to smuggle jamon iberico from Spain.
  • Post #108 - April 9th, 2008, 12:11 pm
    Post #108 - April 9th, 2008, 12:11 pm Post #108 - April 9th, 2008, 12:11 pm
    Jefe wrote:... you convince your own mother help lie your way through customs to smuggle jamon iberico from Spain.

...or you convince your mother to hide your jamon iberico on her person to get through customs.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #109 - April 9th, 2008, 12:29 pm
    Post #109 - April 9th, 2008, 12:29 pm Post #109 - April 9th, 2008, 12:29 pm
    Hi,

Three of us walk into a restaurant to try a recommended hamburger, though we have plans for dinner somewhere else.

Waitress sets out three glasses of water, then inquires about our order. Once we learn what is considered their signature burger as well as most popular with their customers. We order one signature hamburger, two Cokes and one coffee. "Do you want fries?" "Are they hand-cut or fresh from the freezer?" "Freezer." "No, thank you." "For 80 cents more you can have a choice of side salad or cup of soup." "No, thank you." "Is that all?" "Yes," then the waitress walks away looking disgusted.

One of my friends comments she was relieved I didn't ask my customary question when ordering my drink: "Do you offer free refills?" If the answer is no, then I order Coke without ice and a glass of ice water. We are already aware the waitress thinks we are cheap and my question would have really caused her cheap-o-meter to go off the charts. This sets off an avalanche of giggling we are hopeless to stop.

The waitress brings our hamburger but stops short of putting it on the table. She made a rather accurate judgement call: rather than place it in front of the person who ordered it, she put it in the middle. Instantly the hamburger is the star of the moment getting photographed from all angles. The giggles continue unabated that the chief photographer asked us to take our hands off the table to stop the shaking. Once pictures were concluded, we split the hamburger into three pieces.

Relative to the price of the meal, we left a very generous tip. I never did ask for a refill. The hamburger itself was average. Another place checked off the list.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #110 - July 4th, 2008, 7:13 am
    Post #110 - July 4th, 2008, 7:13 am Post #110 - July 4th, 2008, 7:13 am
    You wind up in the ER with chest pains, a numb arm, and tingling fingers...only to discover that you have aggravated carpal tunnel and a pulled pectoral muscle. (probable cause of the pulled muscle: my cast iron skillet.)
  • Post #111 - July 4th, 2008, 11:53 am
    Post #111 - July 4th, 2008, 11:53 am Post #111 - July 4th, 2008, 11:53 am
    In lieu of counting sheep on sleepless nights, you lull yourself to sleep by ranking the top 10 dishes you have eaten over the past month. Only once have I reached "10" without falling sleep and had to move on to ranking the top ten wines I have consumed over the past month.
  • Post #112 - July 4th, 2008, 12:11 pm
    Post #112 - July 4th, 2008, 12:11 pm Post #112 - July 4th, 2008, 12:11 pm
    Hi,

I'm at the local 4th of July parade when the never heard before Bob's Deli goes floating by. A new place has risen to the top of the list to try, though one wonders how this could be missed. I then begin to recall when White Hen closed in Ravinia, the displaced owner-worker (not sure which) vows to return. Could this Bob's Deli be located across from the train station at Braeside because the address had an odd low number?

All this from over 100 feet away with a railroad viaduct in between. Yeah, the food game never quite over. :D

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #113 - August 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm
    Post #113 - August 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm Post #113 - August 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm
    You have dozens of restaurants programmed into your cellphone, many of which are nowhere near where you live.
  • Post #114 - August 2nd, 2008, 8:05 pm
    Post #114 - August 2nd, 2008, 8:05 pm Post #114 - August 2nd, 2008, 8:05 pm
    I know my daughter is an LTH-er for sure. She called me last night from Chinatown in San Francisco to do a search on LTH for her (and made me read PIGMON's entire XLB thread and Mike G's San Francisco posts to her on the phone.) Why? Because she didn't want to risk relying on the Chowhound recs her friend had found.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #115 - August 2nd, 2008, 8:57 pm
    Post #115 - August 2nd, 2008, 8:57 pm Post #115 - August 2nd, 2008, 8:57 pm
    Josephine wrote:I know my daughter is an LTH-er for sure. She called me last night from Chinatown in San Francisco to do a search on LTH for her (and made me read PIGMON's entire XLB thread and Mike G's San Francisco posts to her on the phone.) Why? Because she didn't want to risk relying on the Chowhound recs her friend had found.

I recall when LTH was a listserv and not a website, Dickson began asking for food recommendations at travel destinations. He had been using Chowhounder's advice previously that didn't prove very much to his liking. He made a point of commenting he trusted the people from Chicago, because he already trusted their taste in food. Whereas he didn't know enough about the people who recommended the food at CH-other-than-Chicago boards to recognize it was a solid lead or not.

Following a lead from Mike G or Pigmon is reliable, especially if you already agree on their taste on food. If, however, you think I have lousy taste in food (I hope this for illustrative purposes only), you may want to steer clear of what I proposed.

I think there are solid people on both boards, you just have to pick one that you feel is reliable at least for your tastes. Of course, I am pleased your daughter thinks it is right here.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #116 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:09 am
    Post #116 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:09 am Post #116 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:09 am
    Josephine wrote:I know my daughter is an LTH-er for sure. She called me last night from Chinatown in San Francisco to do a search on LTH for her (and made me read PIGMON's entire XLB thread and Mike G's San Francisco posts to her on the phone.) Why? Because she didn't want to risk relying on the Chowhound recs her friend had found.

Josephine, I'm sure your daughter learned a lot from the threads you read her, but please let her know that the SF board of Chowhound is quite reliable. For Chinese recommendations I would particularly look for posts by Melanie Wong, Gary Soup/Xiao Yang (who also posts here), and yimster. (And, if she reads their reports she'll discover that the best places are not in Chinatown...)
  • Post #117 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:13 am
    Post #117 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:13 am Post #117 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:13 am
    I must admit I think of my few San Francisco posts more as a record of my frustrations than my successes... though if they led her to the Ferry Market, then they were worth it.

she'll discover that the best places are not in Chinatown

Unfortunately, in Yank Sing's case they also weren't open at 10 am. See frustrations, above...
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #118 - August 4th, 2008, 9:33 am
    Post #118 - August 4th, 2008, 9:33 am Post #118 - August 4th, 2008, 9:33 am
    ...when you get postcards like this from family members.

Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #119 - August 4th, 2008, 5:32 pm
    Post #119 - August 4th, 2008, 5:32 pm Post #119 - August 4th, 2008, 5:32 pm
    Amata wrote:Josephine, I'm sure your daughter learned a lot from the threads you read her, but please let her know that the SF board of Chowhound is quite reliable. For Chinese recommendations I would particularly look for posts by Melanie Wong, Gary Soup/Xiao Yang (who also posts here), and yimster. (And, if she reads their reports she'll discover that the best places are not in Chinatown...)

Thanks, Amata. I will pass this information on to Elizabeth. She will be there another month so she can benefit from your advice!
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #120 - August 11th, 2008, 3:20 pm
    Post #120 - August 11th, 2008, 3:20 pm Post #120 - August 11th, 2008, 3:20 pm
    Hi,

Yesterday I was killing time by surveying the shelves at Caputo's on Harlem. I was wearing my Wiener and Still Champion t-shirt in fire engine red. A woman with two children approached in the cart. The woman commented she had heard of Wiener and Still Champion, heard it was good and hope to get there soon. Not only did I affirm it was as good as reported, I then updated her on a new product: beanless chili covered in corndog batter, then fried. This is served with warm Merkt's cheddar cheese sauce, which I found I liked very much.

I then inquired where she learned about Wiener and Still Champion, "On LTHforum." I learned she posts as LO. Without my t-shirt I am sure we would have passed each other without any comment.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more