LTH Home

Sensational Bites on Southport [Pastries]

Sensational Bites on Southport [Pastries]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sensational Bites on Southport [Pastries]

Post #1 - April 11th, 2008, 11:04 am
    Post #1 - April 11th, 2008, 11:04 am Post #1 - April 11th, 2008, 11:04 am
    Of the large number of food fads there are many that start with a good idea and get watered-down and over-played (see: churrascarias). I'm naturally skeptical of most fads.

The long-running "cupcake craze" that has spread across this country is something that I have a hard time turning a cynical eye towards. Tiny little cakes that are relatively hard to screw up, made fresh in a bunch of different flavors. It's really a wonderful thing. Every neighborhood should have a cupcakerie. This is a fad that I'm fine with.

My sister recently called me, on two separate occasions, to swoon over the carrot cake cupcakes at Sensational Bites. Seriously, she called me once and then called me again a couple days later to make sure I understood how passionate she was.

I stopped in to pick up a couple cupcakes recently, but there was no carrot cake. Instead I went for one mocha and one chocolate mint (chosen from among a dozen or so flavors including a delicious looking "boston cream" and a red velvet). Two normal-sized cupcakes, under five bucks, and they were a pretty darn good dessert for two people. I enjoyed the mocha much more than the mint, only for the level of flavoring--the mocha slaps you in the face with coffee flavor, while the mint is just a hint.

They've got a bunch of other goodies like cookies, brownies, cakes, etc. and the boss has quite a pedigree (Tru, Artopolis, Sweet Mandy B's). This place deserves a little attention from LTHers with sweet tooths (sweet teeth?). I still have to try the carrot cake.

Best,
    Michael

Sensational Bites
    3751 N Southport
    Chicago
    (773) 248-2271
    http://www.sensationalbites.com/
  • Post #2 - April 11th, 2008, 11:46 am
    Post #2 - April 11th, 2008, 11:46 am Post #2 - April 11th, 2008, 11:46 am
    I have never physically been to Sensational Bites, but I have friends who have shared treats from there. We have enjoyed their cupcakes at an annual April birthday celebration. They also have these brownie/peanut butter bites that are quite delicious. Some day, I hope to actually visit the place!

April Cupcakes - 2006
    photo credit - B. Furey
  • Post #3 - April 11th, 2008, 2:33 pm
    Post #3 - April 11th, 2008, 2:33 pm Post #3 - April 11th, 2008, 2:33 pm
    I've been frequenting Sensational Bites since it opened, and have recommended it to quite a few people. I just did a quick search and was surprised to see that I never posted about it, because I think they do a great job on a lot of baked goods, not just the cupcakes. They definitely deserve some LTH love!
  • Post #4 - April 14th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Post #4 - April 14th, 2008, 8:46 am Post #4 - April 14th, 2008, 8:46 am
    eatchicago wrote:...they were a pretty darn good dessert for two people...

Two people? :oops:

I only ate there once, between movies at the Music Box Sci-Fi Spectacular last year, and I also had the mint cupcake. I remember it being very moist, just minty enough, and good enough to eat the paper liner it came in just to get that last schmear of chocolate. It was a difficult choice, since there were so many tempting treats. Guess I'll be back there May 10th, for this year's Spectacular. Thanks for reminding me about this place!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #5 - February 14th, 2009, 9:46 pm
    Post #5 - February 14th, 2009, 9:46 pm Post #5 - February 14th, 2009, 9:46 pm
    Yet again, Sensational Bites makes it happen. We followed up our Valentine's Day dinner with a chocolate-covered mini-cheesecake from SB and it was just right: creamy and flavorful and not overly sweet.

Sensational Bites is one of those places that just seems to know their business. Plain and simple, they just make good desserts. Nothing relevatory, but just good stuff, executed well. I've never been disappointed.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #6 - March 20th, 2011, 10:12 am
    Post #6 - March 20th, 2011, 10:12 am Post #6 - March 20th, 2011, 10:12 am
    Last night I went to Toons to break the Fast and watch a bit of the Owls, back when they were actually leading San Diego State, after a great meal there I was looking forward to a sweet.

I spied Sensational Bites, a dessert cafe and checked here, nada, rien, zero (mods please move this post if I’m wrong) and then did the unthinkable and looked on yelp. Lots of hits primarily good.

This is a very cute and teeny tiny space. 4 round tables with 3 chairs at each.

There are a lot of cupcakes at this place. I love cupcakes, but even I think they are pass their prime, but that doesn’t matter because folks will always love cupcakes. Cupcakes are portable and portion-controlled sweets.

Against my better judgement I order a red velvet cupcake. Yes, red velvet is a favorite of mine, but this was in a cool/refirgerated case. I don’t like refrigerated cake. I find it dries out the cake. I understand that cream cheese needs refrigeration, but still, how long are the cupcakes going to actually not be refrigerated before they are consumed?

The cake was a bit crunchy on the edges and dry (as I suspected). It made me wonder how long it had been in the case ( I don’t think that cupcake was made on the day I purchased it, but I could be wrong). The cream cheese frosting was plentiful, but tasted strangely artificial.

I had far greater success with a chocolate chip cookie. This had all of the awe that a great home baked chocolate chip cookie provides. It had a crisp and chewy texture. It had caramel notes from brown sugar. It also had that distinctive bit of saltiness that I adore.

I don’t think this is a destination spot, but if you are in the neighborhood and don’t feel like waiting at Julius Meinl this should fit the bill.

Sensational Bites
    3751 North Southport Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60613-3718
    (773) 248-2271
    Subway: Southport
    Open Tue-Thu 7:30am-7pm; Fri 7:30am-10pm; Sat 8am-10pm; Sun 8am-7pm
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #7 - March 20th, 2011, 10:48 am
    Post #7 - March 20th, 2011, 10:48 am Post #7 - March 20th, 2011, 10:48 am
    Big LTH day at Toons--we were there mid-afternoon and ran into jimswside...sorry we missed you P4L!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - March 20th, 2011, 11:04 am
    Post #8 - March 20th, 2011, 11:04 am Post #8 - March 20th, 2011, 11:04 am
    pairs4life wrote:I spied Sensational Bites, a dessert cafe and checked here, nada, rien, zero (mods please move this post if I’m wrong) and then did the unthinkable and looked on yelp. Lots of hits primarily good.

HI,

Actually found a number of mentions buried in threads related to cupcakes and birthday cakes. Not off the radar from what I saw.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #9 - March 20th, 2011, 12:17 pm
    Post #9 - March 20th, 2011, 12:17 pm Post #9 - March 20th, 2011, 12:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:I spied Sensational Bites, a dessert cafe and checked here, nada, rien, zero (mods please move this post if I’m wrong) and then did the unthinkable and looked on yelp. Lots of hits primarily good.

HI,

Actually found a number of mentions buried in threads related to cupcakes and birthday cakes. Not off the radar from what I saw.

Regards,

I got nothing when I put in sensational bites on the mobile and before I posted, obviously, 1 reference but no dedicated thread popped up.

As our dear friend would say, "it's all good."
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more