LTH Home

Fishwish

Fishwish
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - April 7th, 2009, 9:08 pm
    Post #31 - April 7th, 2009, 9:08 pm Post #31 - April 7th, 2009, 9:08 pm
    Every now and then I will get a fish sandwich from Lawrence's. This is usually in the late hours of the night and sometimes its ok and a few times it wasn't really all that good. Its got to be the best available 24 hour fishwish and the only one along with the drive thru McD'ds open all night.

shown with fried oysters

Lawrences Fisheries
    2120 S Canal St # Uppr
    Chicago, IL 60616
    (312) 225-2113
  • Post #32 - April 7th, 2009, 10:51 pm
    Post #32 - April 7th, 2009, 10:51 pm Post #32 - April 7th, 2009, 10:51 pm
    Da Beef wrote:Every now and then I will get a fish sandwich from Lawrence's.

Do they use the same breading that they put on their shrimp? I tried it once and hated it. It was like drywall mud.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #33 - April 8th, 2009, 1:09 pm
    Post #33 - April 8th, 2009, 1:09 pm Post #33 - April 8th, 2009, 1:09 pm
    When you are in the proper mood -- or condition -- it's tough to beat a DIY Double-Fish-With-Jalapeno-Cheese-And-Pickles at White Castle, for breakfast.

First, buy an even number of Regular (not doubles) Fish-With-Cheese sandwiches and specify: 1) jalapeno cheese; and 2) pickles; and 3) tartar sauce. Then, at the table, take two sandwiches and remove either two or three of the bun-halves (depending on your preference for proper bun-to-fish balance). Re-assemble the two fish cakes, each with their own cheese slice (very important) onto one bun-half. Top with a second bun-half or omit the second one and eat it open-face (for the daintier, low-carb experience, of course).

I prefer to remove the pickles and eat them at my own pace, rather than trusting the "luck of the draw" in every bite. Sometimes, you just want the combination of fish, spicy cheese and tartar sauce taste, sans pickle.

Please refer to the first line in this post -- it definitely helps to NEED this sandwich.
  • Post #34 - April 8th, 2009, 2:51 pm
    Post #34 - April 8th, 2009, 2:51 pm Post #34 - April 8th, 2009, 2:51 pm
    By far the best fishwish at least on the north side has got to be the fried mahi mahi burger at Aloha Cafe. It is about the same size as a fast food fishburger, and it is $3. But, it is good fish. That should make a difference, yes? Everything at Aloha Cafe is good. And you can get mac salad on the side, or rice, or fries. Rather than trying to justify or doctor up Arby's or Wendy's fish, go to Clark/Deming and indulge.
  • Post #35 - April 8th, 2009, 4:13 pm
    Post #35 - April 8th, 2009, 4:13 pm Post #35 - April 8th, 2009, 4:13 pm
    jimwdavis wrote:Please refer to the first line in this post -- it definitely helps to NEED this sandwich.

Thats a great description for the fish sandwich at Lawrence's. I think it might taste ok sometimes b/c it is what I had really had a taste for at the time.

Marco wrote:By far the best fishwish at least on the north side has got to be the fried mahi mahi burger at Aloha Cafe. It is about the same size as a fast food fishburger, and it is $3. But, it is good fish. That should make a difference, yes? Everything at Aloha Cafe is good. And you can get mac salad on the side, or rice, or fries. Rather than trying to justify or doctor up Arby's or Wendy's fish, go to Clark/Deming and indulge.

Of course! I totally forgot about the fact they serve a good fish sandwich and the price is right. I think that was one of the first things I ever tried from there and I have been back 100+ times since and just plain and simple forgot about the fish sandwich. Great burgers too. I just might pop in tonight. All this fishwich talk has got me wanting one.
  • Post #36 - April 9th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    Post #36 - April 9th, 2009, 2:23 pm Post #36 - April 9th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    While it is not a Culver's fish sandwich, it is Culver's walleye fish plate:

On the day I passed this Culver's, it was the ice cream of the day that brought me in: Heath with bits of toffee mixed into chocolate custard.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #37 - April 9th, 2009, 3:54 pm
    Post #37 - April 9th, 2009, 3:54 pm Post #37 - April 9th, 2009, 3:54 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:While it is not a Culver's fish sandwich, it is Culver's walleye fish plate:

C2,

My sister loves, and I do mean loves, Culver's walleye fish plate. Last time she visited we were driving back to Chicago from Milwaukee and she practically hijacked the car straight to Culver's.

I have a hard time generating any love for Culver's, guess its fine on the points, but I always find myself comparing it to my one true custard love, Kopp's.

Nice picture of Culver's walleye, what did you think of the fish?

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #38 - April 9th, 2009, 4:11 pm
    Post #38 - April 9th, 2009, 4:11 pm Post #38 - April 9th, 2009, 4:11 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I have a hard time generating any love for Culver's, guess its fine on the points, but I always find myself comparing it to my one true custard love, Kopp's.
    Gary

I'll second this - Culver's is decent, nice to have around, but its no Kopp's on any level. The custard especially, Kopp's is by miles the best anywhere IMHO.

Still, I find myself at Culver's more often than at Kopp's in general.. just because custard is superior to icecream :-) Culver's is not the best anywhere, but its the best custard in Chicagoland probably (faint praise, of course, but still... its probably comparable to Scooter's, and I cant really think of other Frozen Custard places in Chicagoland that Ive found, and Ive looked hard). Thus Iam happy to see Culver's approaching closer and closer to the north-side of the city, even if they arent quite there yet (the closest one to the north burbs, ie Evanston/Skokie, is still Arlington Heights, I think?)

c8w
  • Post #39 - April 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm
    Post #39 - April 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm Post #39 - April 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Nice picture of Culver's walleye, what did you think of the fish?

Hi,

This picture was taken in March, 2008. Walleye isn't a common menu item around here, then to find it in a fastfood joint was great. This meal was around $7-8., however it was fresh from the fryer crisp with the fish inside moist and suitably cooked. I largely skipped the tartar sauce, eating the fish alternatively with the coleslaw.

Culver's isn't as good as Kopp's or other custard emporiums in the Milwaukee area, though it is the best locally available. I happen to like Heath bars a lot especially mixed into ice cream. It is another one of my long list of obsessions that are really big thrills when one comes upon them by chance.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #40 - April 10th, 2009, 9:36 am
    Post #40 - April 10th, 2009, 9:36 am Post #40 - April 10th, 2009, 9:36 am
    How do the walleye fillets, fried cheese curds, pot roast, pork tenderloin sandwiches and frozen custard compare to other large multi-regional/national chains? Not at all, not even close or, frankly, within contemplation? Oh yeah.

Culver's, to me, is a very special fast food chain for the reason suggested by my above tongue-in-cheek questions. Burgers might not be as good as Schoop's, custard not Kopp's, and walleye not a one-off shore lunch place in Door County or the UP. But damn, for a chain, they do a bunch of varied and delicious things pretty well. And they keep it Wisconsin quirky, even as they expand to places where people don't really have a history with curds and walleye. Like Texas. Always happy to see one of the places at the generic interstate exit.
  • Post #41 - April 10th, 2009, 10:03 am
    Post #41 - April 10th, 2009, 10:03 am Post #41 - April 10th, 2009, 10:03 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Walleye isn't a common menu item around here, then to find it in a fastfood joint was great.

You can get walleye at Johnson's Fish/Shrimp place on Central Ave. in Lake Station.
  • Post #42 - August 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
    Post #42 - August 29th, 2009, 7:45 am Post #42 - August 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
    JeffB wrote:Culver's, to me, is a very special fast food chain for the reason suggested by my above tongue-in-cheek questions. Burgers might not be as good as Schoop's, custard not Kopp's, and walleye not a one-off shore lunch place in Door County or the UP. But damn, for a chain, they do a bunch of varied and delicious things pretty well. And they keep it Wisconsin quirky, even as they expand to places where people don't really have a history with curds and walleye. Like Texas. Always happy to see one of the places at the generic interstate

Deep in the heart of Cheese territory for a wedding, stopped at Culver's for Walleye, no soap radio, Walleye is a seasonal item. Bride liked her butter burger, fried cod crisp on the outside, moist inside, cheese curds ok, a little dull, no cheese curd twang/tart, but overall a much better than average fast food lunch.

Culver's interior was absolutely spotless, open, airy, counter people unnervingly friendly and our order was brought to the table by a super friendly, in a real as opposed to studied, fellow. I was surprised when he came back in 10-minutes or so to check on us and ask if we needed more napkins, tarter sauce etc.

I (now) like Culver's, love Kopp's, but thought Culver's top of the fast food chain.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #43 - February 10th, 2010, 1:48 pm
    Post #43 - February 10th, 2010, 1:48 pm Post #43 - February 10th, 2010, 1:48 pm
    Heard ad on the radio, craving ensued, lunch proceeded, and the double filet o fish sandwich is back again for lent season.
  • Post #44 - February 10th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Post #44 - February 10th, 2010, 2:30 pm Post #44 - February 10th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Cogito wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Walleye isn't a common menu item around here, then to find it in a fastfood joint was great.

You can get walleye at Johnson's Fish/Shrimp place on Central Ave. in Lake Station.

Great stuff at Johnsons! AKA Johnsons Door County Fish, Can't find a menu online. Remember they had a great selection of local goodies form the water!

http://johnsonsfishshrimp.com/johnsonsfishshrimp.com/Welcome_to_Johnsons.html
    JOHNSON’S FISH & SHRIMP
    908 East Roosevelt Road
    Lombard, IL 60148-4750
    (630) 629-6520

JOHNSON’S FISH & SHRIMP
    2619 Central Avenue
    Lake Station IN 46405
    PH (219) 962-1956
  • Post #45 - February 19th, 2010, 12:45 pm
    Post #45 - February 19th, 2010, 12:45 pm Post #45 - February 19th, 2010, 12:45 pm
    Wendy's has been hyping their "premium codfish" sandwich on TV lately, so I tried one yesterday. Big mistake. It sucked. Mayo instead of tartar, overpriced, small, and had been sitting around (not hot). Over 6 bucks for a sandwich, fry, and drink=too much.
  • Post #46 - February 24th, 2010, 10:21 pm
    Post #46 - February 24th, 2010, 10:21 pm Post #46 - February 24th, 2010, 10:21 pm
    Reading this post reminded me of the terrific fish sandwiches they used to serve at the Broker's Inn carry out place, li'l Brokers. I thought when Brokers was torn down for the CBOT expansion that was the end.
    However, I discovered the fish sandwiches are now being served in the CBOT basement cafeteria, Cellars Market. Here is a picture I took this afternoon on my G1,
    The amount of fried sole is pretty amazing. served with tarter sauce and Louisiana hot sauce. My only complaint is now it's made in a cafeteria format and the fish isn't dumped from the fryer basket and on to your bun like before. Now it sits for a bit, but still freshly made.
    The fish sandwiches are only served on Wednesday's and friday's.
  • Post #47 - February 24th, 2010, 10:56 pm
    Post #47 - February 24th, 2010, 10:56 pm Post #47 - February 24th, 2010, 10:56 pm
    If you are in the south loop go to the Board of trade building basement. the fish sandwiches which are actual pieces of fish piled high on a bun with tartar sauce on the side, cheese optional are well known. They also serve these in the main floor restaurant Ceres. Yes same place as the above post Cellars Market. Forgot the name.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #48 - February 25th, 2010, 9:18 am
    Post #48 - February 25th, 2010, 9:18 am Post #48 - February 25th, 2010, 9:18 am
    Mikey wrote:Reading this post reminded me of the terrific fish sandwiches they used to serve at the Broker's Inn carry out place, li'l Brokers.

Those were a thing of beauty, except the tartar sauce was garbage - way too sweet. I remember back in the day, those things were like 4 or 5 inches tall. Just STUFFED.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #49 - February 25th, 2010, 9:43 am
    Post #49 - February 25th, 2010, 9:43 am Post #49 - February 25th, 2010, 9:43 am
    Cogito wrote:Wendy's has been hyping their "premium codfish" sandwich on TV lately, so I tried one yesterday. Big mistake. It sucked. Mayo instead of tartar, overpriced, small, and had been sitting around (not hot). Over 6 bucks for a sandwich, fry, and drink=too much.

Arby's has a similar thing going on...I had the good fortune of getting a fresh one hot out of the fryer, and thought it was pretty acceptable. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, but if I was hard up for lunch & a food court was my only option, I could make a meal out of an Arby's fish sandwich (and probably a regular roast beef, and a medium Diet Dr Pepper...love the fountain DDP).
  • Post #50 - March 26th, 2011, 11:07 am
    Post #50 - March 26th, 2011, 11:07 am Post #50 - March 26th, 2011, 11:07 am
    Had a good fish (lake perch) sandwich at Johnson's Fish and Shrimp in Lake Station, IN.

Perch Sandwich

I'll admit I like me some fish sandwiches, sometimes even the sh!tty one's. But this was a great sandwich, three actual lake perch fillets and not one processed fish puck patty along with a nice soft local bakery bun made it so. I ordered it as was off the menu and it didn't come with anything on it which was it's only flaw. Luckily I ordered an extra tartar sauce to go with the half pound of perch I got along with it.

Johnson's Fish & Shrimp
    2619 Central Ave
    Lake Station, IN 46405
    (219) 962-1956
  • Post #51 - March 26th, 2011, 7:00 pm
    Post #51 - March 26th, 2011, 7:00 pm Post #51 - March 26th, 2011, 7:00 pm
    Got my annual double McD double fish yesterday. Wasn't very good, skimpy tartar and soggy filets ruined it. May have to put it on my no-buy list next year.
  • Post #52 - March 26th, 2011, 7:55 pm
    Post #52 - March 26th, 2011, 7:55 pm Post #52 - March 26th, 2011, 7:55 pm
    kuhdo wrote:I love a good fish sandwich. Over the years I have tried many... some good, most not so good.To me, the best ever was the mighty Fishwich (with cheese) from Dock's,one of the greatest examples of dashboard cuisine in fast food history. Unfortunately, since the demise of Dock's (which also had great shrimp and the astonishingly wierd and forever indellibly staining ' Omar juice') I have been unable to find anything else that comes even close.

JeffB wrote:Try Shark's. It's the new Dock's.

Why not go to Dock's? I hear it's the new Shark's.

Haven't had a Fishwich yet but I understand the wheat rolls are back. Not sure about Omar juice.

Dock's
    11137 S Vincennes Av
    (former location of D's Irie Kitchen)
    Chicago
  • Post #53 - March 27th, 2011, 3:14 pm
    Post #53 - March 27th, 2011, 3:14 pm Post #53 - March 27th, 2011, 3:14 pm
    I went to a Shark's once. They use concrete instead of breading.
  • Post #54 - March 28th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    Post #54 - March 28th, 2011, 2:11 pm Post #54 - March 28th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    If I am in the rare mood for a fish sandwich, I simply go to White Castle. I know that I will get a freshly fried piece of fish on a steamed bun. Nothing more-nothing less. I know that the fish will not have been sitting on a steam table or in a warming tray for a while, to the point where the sandwich is a lukewarm soggy mess.
  • Post #55 - March 31st, 2011, 1:19 pm
    Post #55 - March 31st, 2011, 1:19 pm Post #55 - March 31st, 2011, 1:19 pm
    Catch & Carry in the Leo Burnett building has a decent fishwich, served with homemade potato chips, fries on request (and a little extra).

Served on a large roll, freshly fried fish, cheese (I usually skip), tartar on the side.

Catch & Carry
    35 W Wacker
    Chicago
    312-346-3535
    http://www.catch35.com
  • Post #56 - February 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Post #56 - February 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm Post #56 - February 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Rene G wrote:Haven't had a Fishwich yet but I understand the wheat rolls are back. Not sure about Omar juice.

Did you ever make it in for one? I believe that location is no more but you never know until the place is torn down or the signs are gone. If it is done that would make the Dock's in the strip mall on 87th in Chatham the last one left. For those unfamiliar, Dock's got its start in 1973 at 87th and Dorchester and was basically to fried fish and shrimp in the city to what Harold's is for fried chicken these days. Shark's it was/is not. Much better.

Though on the brink of extinction this is a healthy outlet with constant traffic

We used to have Dock's for early lunch at the Southside St. Paddy's day parade. We'd have their famous fishWICH to start while snacking on different folks food offerings from the parties throughout the neighborhood between the corned beef dinner at one of my aunts places. But that was the 90's and those days are gone. So it's been years since I had one until last week.

Fried Shrimp

The "quick fix" of fried shrimp was $3 so I said what the heck and tried that too. It was nothing great, you can even see in separate ones that some were fried longer than others. But their famous fishwich was what I remember it to be. Two lightly coated whiting filets go on one of their signature wheat rolls and it's topped with tarter, lettuce and tomato with the option of cheese. Bring your own bottle of hot sauce or ask if they have any, that would of made it much better and similar to the famous hot fish sandwiches of Nashville. Wednesday's they're on special for $3.89 each.

Famous Fishwich Sandwich

Dock's
    112 W 87th Street
    Chicago, IL 60620
    (773) 723-0055
  • Post #57 - February 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Post #57 - February 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm Post #57 - February 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm
    May I mention my love for the way Culver's checks out their franchisees?
    Unlike a place like 5guys who just asks for a finance report, Culvers has you spend time working
    under the watchful eye of people and then gives a "go ahead" or the boot. You have to fit into their culture and goals.

Why Culvers always have a decent standard and a place like 5guys ranges from ok to awful and very dirty.

Of course, Kopps for the custard win. However they need (at least by the location by me) need better crowd control on busy summer nights.
  • Post #58 - February 22nd, 2013, 4:18 pm
    Post #58 - February 22nd, 2013, 4:18 pm Post #58 - February 22nd, 2013, 4:18 pm
    exvaxman wrote:May I mention my love for the way Culver's checks out their franchisees?
    Unlike a place like 5guys who just asks for a finance report, Culvers has you spend time working
    under the watchful eye of people and then gives a "go ahead" or the boot. You have to fit into their culture and goals.

Why Culvers always have a decent standard and a place like 5guys ranges from ok to awful and very dirty.

Of course, Kopps for the custard win. However they need (at least by the location by me) need better crowd control on busy summer nights.

I look forward to Culver's walleye sandwiches over Lent. I remember when I looked forward to going to the Dell's to visit them. Now they are in every Midwest state, they have certainly spread.

I completely understand your comments about crowd control in summer at Kopps. They hardly offer any seating, so people are dripping all over the place.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #59 - February 24th, 2013, 9:06 am
    Post #59 - February 24th, 2013, 9:06 am Post #59 - February 24th, 2013, 9:06 am
    The last time I got the walleye at Culver's the filets were raw in the center. I've been afraid to try them since.
  • Post #60 - February 25th, 2013, 10:52 am
    Post #60 - February 25th, 2013, 10:52 am Post #60 - February 25th, 2013, 10:52 am
    This will sound a little crazy, because who goes to Jim's Original and doesn't get the Polish? But I have to report that the fish sandwich at Jim's is really delicious, maybe the best thing on their menu. It's a Filet O Fish-style square patty on a bun, but the meat is very flaky and juicy (perhaps shading over into unnaturally so) and the batter is crunchy. It always comes out fresh and never tastes like it's been sitting in a steam tray. The tartar is not too sweet and they give you a lot, the excess of which is a real pleasure to soak up with those battered Jim's fries.

I find it really hard to pass up the fish sandwich for the Polish or anything else on the menu… aaahh who am I kidding, I just get two sandwiches now. But I always eat the fish first.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more