LTH Home

My Day at the NRA Show

My Day at the NRA Show
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • My Day at the NRA Show

Post #1 - May 19th, 2009, 9:33 pm
    Post #1 - May 19th, 2009, 9:33 pm Post #1 - May 19th, 2009, 9:33 pm
    My Day at the NRA Show

The NRA show is now over. Here are some highlights.

These guys were cool. They’re from LA. They make Korean quesadillas.

Me: This is Korean food? They eat this in Korea?
    Them: Oh, yeah...
    Me: With cheese?
    Them: No.

Korea. A strange and wonderful country, where quesadillas are made without cheese. That said, these lil bastids were quite tasty – kimchee and cheese work well together, calling into question the absolute validity of the maxim What grows together goes together.

Animatronics. They’re not just for Disney’s Hall of Presidents anymore.

I actually got a scary chill watching these robots whoop it up. Especially the leprechaun.

Here’s a good idea: little yellow cones with fans underneath to dry the wet floors they warn us of – it’s the Hurricone.

Wacky items seemed abundant. Here’s one:

In case you’re wondering, here’s an explanation of why this is such a beautiful invention:

One disappointment: Charlton Heston apparently didn't show.
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #2 - May 20th, 2009, 9:32 am
    Post #2 - May 20th, 2009, 9:32 am Post #2 - May 20th, 2009, 9:32 am
    David Hammond wrote:My Day at the NRA Show

if he did, it would have been surprising on two levels.
  • Post #3 - May 20th, 2009, 9:46 am
    Post #3 - May 20th, 2009, 9:46 am Post #3 - May 20th, 2009, 9:46 am
    dudefella wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:My Day at the NRA Show

if he did, it would have been surprising on two levels.

At least two. :lol:
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #4 - May 20th, 2009, 10:09 am
    Post #4 - May 20th, 2009, 10:09 am Post #4 - May 20th, 2009, 10:09 am
    Uh, just wondering: any particular reason why it's called the "Magic" plate? (I almost shudder to ask....)
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #5 - May 20th, 2009, 10:20 am
    Post #5 - May 20th, 2009, 10:20 am Post #5 - May 20th, 2009, 10:20 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Uh, just wondering: any particular reason why it's called the "Magic" plate? (I almost shudder to ask....)

I believe it's magic because the circular form in the plate enables spoon-free twirling of pasta.

David "It's marketing, babe" Hammond
  • Post #6 - May 20th, 2009, 2:14 pm
    Post #6 - May 20th, 2009, 2:14 pm Post #6 - May 20th, 2009, 2:14 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Uh, just wondering: any particular reason why it's called the "Magic" plate? (I almost shudder to ask....)

"...You see, when a waitron screws up an order, runs back to the kitchen and says they need that mid-well stake order-fire and "on the fly"? This plate has magic pixie dust that cooks said steak before the 43 second window when the previously mentioned waitron will start complaining how long it is taking and how the kitchen is "screwing" them..."

8)
  • Post #7 - May 20th, 2009, 5:31 pm
    Post #7 - May 20th, 2009, 5:31 pm Post #7 - May 20th, 2009, 5:31 pm
    For me, among the food highlights of this yr's NRA show was Black Garlic @ the Sid Wainer and Son's exhibit booth (my go to for excellent products sampled @ the show). It's fermented under high heat for 30 days turning the cloves black and sweet as opposed to pungent. We popped them like candy with no garlic aftermath. Haven't seen it on any menu's yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Same with fresh mangosteens. They had those as well.

One other thing I tried, they were calling "Bolt Buds" or "Szechuan Buds". These were small yellow tight buds on a stem. Shave some of the yellow fuzzy pollen and put in your mouth or in a beverage and literally, it's like an electric current, more cool than unpleasant. Very similar to getting maxed out @ Lao Sze Chuan or Double Li. They were very kind and gave me some of each to take home to play with.

"In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #8 - May 20th, 2009, 7:20 pm
    Post #8 - May 20th, 2009, 7:20 pm Post #8 - May 20th, 2009, 7:20 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:For me, among the food highlights of this yr's NRA show was Black Garlic @ the Sid Wainer and Son's exhibit booth (my go to for excellent products sampled @ the show). It's fermented under high heat for 30 days turning the cloves black and sweet as opposed to pungent. We popped them like candy with no garlic aftermath. Haven't seen it on any menu's yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Same with fresh mangosteens. They had those as well.

One other thing I tried, they were calling "Bolt Buds" or "Szechuan Buds". These were small yellow tight buds on a stem. Shave some of the yellow fuzzy pollen and put in your mouth or in a beverage and literally, it's like an electric current, more cool than unpleasant. Very similar to getting maxed out @ Lao Sze Chuan or Double Li. They were very kind and gave me some of each to take home to play with.

I ran into Sula who had some of the Black Garlic in his pocket. He gave me a tooth of it, and I thought it was like sugary tar with just a hint of garlic -- I liked it, as I do all products of the stinking rose. We puzzled about how it might be used; I think it might be fine smeared on bread (easy), though there are probably other, more interesting applications. Maybe swirled into pasta...stuffed into a mild fish...?

At an absinthe table, some guy gave me a Szechuan Bud, which I unfortunately ate before trying the absinthe. It was like licking a D battery, coppery and metallic, tongue-numbing. Not actually a pleasant sensation, but interesting.
  • Post #9 - May 20th, 2009, 7:41 pm
    Post #9 - May 20th, 2009, 7:41 pm Post #9 - May 20th, 2009, 7:41 pm
    The black garlic could be a very versatile component of a dish. Sauces, vinaigrettes, smashed on bread, shaved like truffle over salad or pasta, garnish on the plate etc...

Wonder how your tin foil eating nephew would like that type of bud?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #10 - May 20th, 2009, 7:50 pm
    Post #10 - May 20th, 2009, 7:50 pm Post #10 - May 20th, 2009, 7:50 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Wonder how your tin foil eating nephew would like that type of bud?

Oh man, you read my mind. He was just on the way out to the gym and I said, "When you come home, I've got this thing I want you to try. It's called Szechuan Bud."

At mention of word "bud," Boy's eyes grow big. I tell him I got it at NRA and that it's like licking a battery. He's all in. Report to follow.
  • Post #11 - May 20th, 2009, 10:21 pm
    Post #11 - May 20th, 2009, 10:21 pm Post #11 - May 20th, 2009, 10:21 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    Jazzfood wrote:Wonder how your tin foil eating nephew would like that type of bud?

Oh man, you read my mind. He was just on the way out to the gym and I said, "When you come home, I've got this thing I want you to try. It's called Szechuan Bud."

At mention of word "bud," Boy's eyes grow big. I tell him I got it at NRA and that it's like licking a battery. He's all in. Report to follow.

Boy was eager to try Szechuan bud.

Boy ponder impact on tongue. Sweet and sour, Boy say.

Boy like. He thought it’d be good with sour candy.

Boy say, I want to buy a lot. I told him it wasn’t available yet. Boy repeat, I want to buy a lot.
  • Post #12 - May 21st, 2009, 8:12 am
    Post #12 - May 21st, 2009, 8:12 am Post #12 - May 21st, 2009, 8:12 am
    David Hammond wrote:
    Jazzfood wrote:At mention of word "bud," Boy's eyes grow big.

:lol:
    ...as long as his glaucoma is doing better!!
  • Post #13 - June 12th, 2009, 10:15 am
    Post #13 - June 12th, 2009, 10:15 am Post #13 - June 12th, 2009, 10:15 am
    Jazzfood wrote:One other thing I tried, they were calling "Bolt Buds" or "Szechuan Buds". These were small yellow tight buds on a stem. Shave some of the yellow fuzzy pollen and put in your mouth or in a beverage and literally, it's like an electric current, more cool than unpleasant. Very similar to getting maxed out @ Lao Sze Chuan or Double Li. They were very kind and gave me some of each to take home to play with.

There's a nice article on Szechuan Buttons (that's what it's apparently being marketed as now) on Smithsonian's Food and Think blog. It also has a link to a video of several Washington Post staffers responses to eating it. Certainly sounds like it's worth a try, but I don't know how practical it is in food -- its numbing/jolting effects can last 10-15 minutes.

[Edit - forgot the link]
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - February 3rd, 2010, 9:34 am
    Post #14 - February 3rd, 2010, 9:34 am Post #14 - February 3rd, 2010, 9:34 am
    David Hammond wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

Boy was eager to try Szechuan bud.

Boy ponder impact on tongue. Sweet and sour, Boy say.

Boy like. He thought it’d be good with sour candy.

Boy say, I want to buy a lot. I told him it wasn’t available yet. Boy repeat, I want to buy a lot.

Boy ride wave of Szechuan bud trend: http://www.salon.com/food/faddy_foods/i ... an_buttons

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more