LTH Home

Scotland-haggis eaten of late?

Scotland-haggis eaten of late?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Scotland-haggis eaten of late?

Post #1 - March 8th, 2005, 12:10 pm
    Post #1 - March 8th, 2005, 12:10 pm Post #1 - March 8th, 2005, 12:10 pm
    Just booked a month long trip to Russia and then onto my ancestral home of Scotland.
    Just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure (dis?) of eating haggis.
    From what i can glean, Macsween's of Edinburgh is generally regarded to have the best haggis.
    Talked with Abraus last night, and he reminded me how good the blood sausage is at tango sur, and i got quite excited about eating sheep's pluck in a stomach.
    thanks in advance for any info.
    cheers,
    parker
  • Post #2 - March 8th, 2005, 12:24 pm
    Post #2 - March 8th, 2005, 12:24 pm Post #2 - March 8th, 2005, 12:24 pm
    I haven't had haggis in a while, but I remember thinking the blood sausage at Costumbres Argentinas in Wicker Park tasted very haggis-y. I have a can of Baxter's Haggis in the pantry, but haven't opened it yet because I haven't had the right event/combination of interested participants. But I love the stuff. In my high school days, I won the local haggis-eating contest (1 minute 52 seconds in the half-pound event), and since, as far as I know, it was the only haggis-eating competition in the world at that time, I claim to be a former world champion haggis eater.
  • Post #3 - March 9th, 2005, 12:47 pm
    Post #3 - March 9th, 2005, 12:47 pm Post #3 - March 9th, 2005, 12:47 pm
    I have had Haggis in Edinburgh but can't remember where. Tastes close to Polich Kiszka. A meal of Haggis should be accompanied by tatties and neeps. (Potatoes and pureed turnips.)
  • Post #4 - March 11th, 2005, 2:25 pm
    Post #4 - March 11th, 2005, 2:25 pm Post #4 - March 11th, 2005, 2:25 pm
    I just *love* haggis, ate it all over Scotland. The best is very groats-y, chewy, with a bit of offal- and blood-flavors.

Be sure to have it with breakfast, which is an option in some places. We stayed for several nights in Glencoe, at the fairly simple Glencoe Hotel there. It's a very good, central location, plus the food is good. There's a fancy hotel (Lodge on the Loch?) not so far away which has a very good--expensive--dining room. The haggis is the best I ever ate.

BTW, the view toward Glencoe and the Loch from the road coming up from the South is the most spectacular I've ever seen in my life. There's a sudden turn northward, and a vista (probably 10 miles long) down a valley with 6 ridges of mountains and then the loch.Breathtaking.

Enjoy! and report back.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #5 - January 23rd, 2011, 10:05 pm
    Post #5 - January 23rd, 2011, 10:05 pm Post #5 - January 23rd, 2011, 10:05 pm
    I didn't know that haggis was banned.
  • Post #6 - January 24th, 2020, 8:03 am
    Post #6 - January 24th, 2020, 8:03 am Post #6 - January 24th, 2020, 8:03 am
    For Haggis Purists in the U.S., the Law Is No Obstacle

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/busi ... gling.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat