LTH Home

Big Ed's BBQ - North Chicago

Big Ed's BBQ - North Chicago
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - May 18th, 2009, 12:09 pm
    Post #31 - May 18th, 2009, 12:09 pm Post #31 - May 18th, 2009, 12:09 pm
    what a great time i had at big eds
    planned to meet bill met burt and todd and got lots of time with big ed and kim and the team
    big ed is the real deal and so is his q
    no doubt about it
    ronnie suburban great post
    you crystalized my thoughts percisely
    and the great pics
    you are the man
    my vist to big eds was the highlight of my week
    great bbq great peeps great time
  • Post #32 - May 20th, 2009, 9:49 am
    Post #32 - May 20th, 2009, 9:49 am Post #32 - May 20th, 2009, 9:49 am
    LTHForum,

The irrepressible Ronnie_Suburban and yours truly hit Big Ed's BBQ for dinner, and a most enjoyable experience it was.

Big Ed and family are some of the warmest, most genuine, hard working attention to detail people I have had the pleasure of meeting in quite a while. They also seem to have a cleanliness fetish, as one of the two daughters present was constantly in cleaning mode.

Dia, Big Ed, Kim, Jasmine

As mentioned upthread, Big Ed uses an Aquarium style smoker.

Big Ed's Aquarium Smoker

Big Ed uses a mix of Royal Oak and Hickory splits, with the occasional applewood split.

Ed soaks the hickory splits before adding to the fire, not something I've encountered before.

Hickory splits soaking

We sampled four sides, Greens, tender if a little salty. Beans, lightly sweet, I caught a treacley molasses flavor. Slaw, ~shug~. Mac and Cheese, terrific, some of the best BBQ joint mac and cheese I have had, right up there with Smoque's. I particularly liked the stronger cheese flavor, cheddar being dominant, and mild garlic notes. If the mac and cheese was baked with a crispy crust I might move in down the street.

Greens, Slaw, Mac and Cheese, Beans

Combo of Links, Brisket, Pulled Pork and Tips.

Pork was nicely pulled, though somewhat neutral in flavor no bark to speak of and the pork seemed thoroughly defated. Brisket along the same lines, nice appearance, but not much punch of flavor, the fact we were served a very lean part of the flat may have been the reason. Links were very fine grained and dry, good overall flavor, but dry. Big Ed said the links, which are made in-house, are a work in progress and is not yet satisfied with the results. I'd agree with Big Ed.

Tips, along with spare ribs, were the best of the BBQ meats we tried that evening. Nice outside char, flavorful rub, good smoke penetration. From my perspective the tips and spares were overly tender, not falling into the meat jello category, but very little if any resistance to the tooth.

Spare Ribs

At this point Big Ed started bringing out items for us to try over and above our original order, we politely declined, but Ed's generosity and enthusiasm were gale force winds to our blades of grass. Plus we did not wish to seem rude. I should note Ron and I were generous in tipping, more than covering the difference in cost.

Loved the fried catfish, light note of catfish funk, just enough to let you know that isn't tilapia on the plate, with a subtly sweet undertone, crisp breading and moist fish, nicely done. Mouth burning hot wings, lightly crisp, meaty, moist, a very enjoyable chicken wing. House made tarter sauce and chipotle mayo rounded out the plate.

Catfish and Chicken Wings

Juicy griddled burger on a sesame seed bun with crisp tasty fries. Not a destination burger but if I lived or worked in the area I could easily see it on my lunch rotation.

Big Ed's Burger and Fries

Italian Sub, good quality meats on Turano bread rounded off with oil and vinegar dressing and healthy shake of oregano. We both liked the sub, which I am guessing Lucas had for lunch the next day.

Italian Sub

Pound Cake, made in-house by Kim, Big Ed's bride, is, in a word, terrific. Moist with a crackly outer layer, Big Ed said it's like the pound cake can't decided if it's a cake or cookie.

Pound Cake

Bumpy Chocolate Cake is another winner, rich, moist, but not falling prey to overly sweet, so good I took a piece home to my wife. I did not get a very good picture of Bumpy Chocolate Cake, please see Ronnie's upthread.

All in all I really liked Big Ed's, love the vibrant gracious energy and wish them well on their journey along the path to great BBQ.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - May 20th, 2009, 10:41 am
    Post #33 - May 20th, 2009, 10:41 am Post #33 - May 20th, 2009, 10:41 am
    G Wiv wrote:LTHForum,

At this point Big Ed started bringing out items for us to try over and above our original order, we politely declined, but Ed's generosity and enthusiasm were gale force winds to our blades of grass.

yes one certainly does not walk away from there hungry !
    First Place BBQ Sauce - 2010 NBBQA ( Natl BBQ Assoc) Awards of Excellence
  • Post #34 - May 20th, 2009, 11:27 am
    Post #34 - May 20th, 2009, 11:27 am Post #34 - May 20th, 2009, 11:27 am
    G Wiv wrote:no bark to speak of

Well, that may have been because I took it all when you weren't looking. :oops: :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #35 - May 20th, 2009, 10:11 pm
    Post #35 - May 20th, 2009, 10:11 pm Post #35 - May 20th, 2009, 10:11 pm
    Since my son loved last week's leftovers (as I mentioned above) and tonight was our weekly night out together, we decided to trek back up to Big Ed's, so he could give it a try in person. This time, I let the boyo order and we had another very enjoyable dinner . . .

Rib Tip/Wing Combo
    I would have thought that this alone would have been enough food for the 2 of us but when a 12-year-old boy gets hungry, all bets are off. The wings were crispy, juicy, piping hot and aggresively seasoned.

Rib Tip, up close
    Delicious tips, with good smoke, nice crustiness and moist, fatty meat.

The boy also ordered some ribs, a full slab, most of which we ended up taking home to his mom (his eyes were bigger than his stomach, after all) . . .

Spare Rib, up close
    Juicy, crusty, fatty -- very hard to stop eating.

As promised, Ed had been tinkering with the hot link recipe/method and tonight's version was much improved over my first visit . . .

Hot Link 2.0, up close
    Not only was the grind more coarse (and more satisfying) on this revised version, but the seasoning had also been tweaked. Ed said he'd actually cut back on the heat and some of the other spices. I thought this was interesting because this version seemed to have even more punch than the first ones I tried. I guess 'less is more' because you could really taste the individual components this time around. Ed told me that he plans further tweaks, which I will be excited to try.

We also tried some Peach Cobbler, which I neglected to photograph but I especially enjoyed the crust, which was rich, buttery and crispy on the edges. I'm really digging Ed's and plan to make it a regular stop. It's exciting that he's constantly making tweaks and considering the feedback of his diners. This is a man who really cares about the food he is serving and it's a very enjoyable place to eat.

=R=
  • Post #36 - May 21st, 2009, 8:30 am
    Post #36 - May 21st, 2009, 8:30 am Post #36 - May 21st, 2009, 8:30 am
    Great thread...going to run up there and get some today. I work at Abbott, so it is right down the road.
    "There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."
    Bette Davis in Old Acquaintance
  • Post #37 - May 21st, 2009, 10:39 am
    Post #37 - May 21st, 2009, 10:39 am Post #37 - May 21st, 2009, 10:39 am
    ronnie_suburban: I'm really glad you made the trip out to Big Ed's this week, twice!

Seeing the two tremendous write ups you did, made me feel like I'm not alone in my admiration of both the quality product they are turning out on a consistent basis, as well as the great hospitality and service that is always given by the family and staff.

We must have missed each other by hours yesterday, as I was there for a late afternoon lunch. I also had the wings & catfish, yum! While I was there, I talked with Big Ed for a long while, and even watched him load and cook up those tips that you probably had for dinner!

My son is also a "foodie in training", and at 15 he'll eat things I still have trouble getting up courage to sometimes even try. So I think as an adult our guys may be a force to reckon with, they sure have great mentors!

Next time your planing on coming up, give me call, I'd love to join you.
  • Post #38 - May 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm
    Post #38 - May 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm Post #38 - May 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm
    I had not eaten before calling in my order for pick-up....my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Got the Big Ed's Platter, 5-piece catfish dinner and a slab of ribs with extra sides of beans, mac, coleslaw and 3 pieces of pound cake. Figure we will have it for dinner tonight and save the rest for Monday as neither one of us is going to be cooking.

Had two pieces of the ribs and some of the brisket....knees are weak. Soon as the champagne gets cold in the chiller, it will be on like Donkey Kong.

Thanks for the tip :D
    "There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."
    Bette Davis in Old Acquaintance
  • Post #39 - May 30th, 2009, 9:06 pm
    Post #39 - May 30th, 2009, 9:06 pm Post #39 - May 30th, 2009, 9:06 pm
    A quick update. Made my third trip to Ed's tonight for some carry out. Brought my daughter with me and while we were waiting for our order Ed brought out a sample of his brisket. I'm a huge Ed fan, but will admit that in the past his brisket was a scouche dry. Not tonight! I don't know what Ed has changed, but he has maintained all the tenderness of past efforts, but now, Lordy, his brisket is moist and succulent. If you haven't been to Ed's I recommend the trip.
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #40 - June 23rd, 2009, 7:53 pm
    Post #40 - June 23rd, 2009, 7:53 pm Post #40 - June 23rd, 2009, 7:53 pm
    My dad took me to big eds (beware MLK is under construction and is kind of bumpy). I had the pulled pork dinner. It was awesome, the sauce is very good.
  • Post #41 - August 7th, 2009, 1:57 pm
    Post #41 - August 7th, 2009, 1:57 pm Post #41 - August 7th, 2009, 1:57 pm
    Last week while touring my sister around the city on a Burt style Chicago tasting tour, I got an email from ABC7's Hungry Hound - Steve Dolinsky.

He said he was going to be filming a piece on Big Ed’s BBQ Aug 6th at 5 PM, and for me stop by and say hello. So last night I went down for the filming, I took my son Andrew with me and we met the Hungry Hound himself!

Andrew and I sat and watched the big man get interviewed and get asked some good questions about why and how he went into the restaurant business etc., and what makes his place so special. Big Ed did great. Then the Hungry Hound got down to tasting!

Big Ed laid out a H-U-G-E Big Ed style food spread of all the food that they make. That was when Steve asked Andrew and I if we would like to join him in the tasting. Everything was spot on delicious as usual, and it was fast apparent that the Hungry Hound was reaching the same conclusion as what the rest of us who’ve been there already knew; this makes some darn good BBQ!

I can’t wait to see how the whole thing finishes out, but good things happen to good people, and I couldn't be happier for Big Ed Nero and his family! Thank you Steve Dolinsky for coming out to Big Ed’s and inviting me to the shoot, my son and I are glad to have met you and tasted Big Ed’s great BBQ with you.

The Hungry Hound food segment on Big Ed's BBQ airs on Friday night August 28th at 10 PM.

• Post #42 - August 7th, 2009, 2:13 pm
    Post #42 - August 7th, 2009, 2:13 pm Post #42 - August 7th, 2009, 2:13 pm
    outstanding!!! glad to see his place get some more exposure..
  • Post #43 - August 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm
    Post #43 - August 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm Post #43 - August 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm
    Good for Ed. I'm really pleased that he'll be getting this exposure. :)

=R=
  • Post #44 - August 28th, 2009, 5:34 am
    Post #44 - August 28th, 2009, 5:34 am Post #44 - August 28th, 2009, 5:34 am
    I don't know what it was that made me drive out of my way coming home from work in the pouring rain to try Big Ed's fare to go. But I'm glad I did!

Meaty, solid spare ribs. Not baby backs, not St. Louis--spares. it's definitely a different breed, but I like 'em. Like someone said, just the right amount of pull off the bone to get the big piece o'meat into your mouth and the bone clean. Definitely not the gnawing kind tho. Next time, however, I will request no sauce on the ribs, just on the side. These were drenched, and messy as hell. Wife had the whole chicken, and loved it. Juicy, spicy, good-sized pieces. She LIKED it drenched with the interestingly piquant sauce. To each her own...

What REALLY separates this from other joints, however, are the sides. My God, not a miss in the bunch. Big, leafy collards with that smoked turkey. Decadent mac & cheese, very rich. Killer slaw--rough cut, kind of a cross between creamy & oil & vinegar, just right. Yum. I thought the stand-outs, however, were the baked beans (with green pepper, onion & ground beef--like the menu says, "a meal in itself!") and smallish but probably the best corn muffin of my life. My wife said "it's like CAKE". And so it was.

I asked Ed if he's excited about the Hungry Hound clip on Big Ed's to be shown on the Channel 7 10PM news tonight, and he admitted to being a little nervous. With this lineup, he's got nothing to worry about. This place is GO-O-O-O-D.
  • Post #45 - August 28th, 2009, 6:34 am
    Post #45 - August 28th, 2009, 6:34 am Post #45 - August 28th, 2009, 6:34 am
    areyou saying you got a full spare ? I was under the impression the spares were trimmed here (st Louis) as I always get tips but i could be wrong..
  • Post #46 - August 29th, 2009, 3:23 pm
    Post #46 - August 29th, 2009, 3:23 pm Post #46 - August 29th, 2009, 3:23 pm
    well deserving props given by the Hungry Hound...
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=6988690
  • Post #47 - August 30th, 2009, 6:08 pm
    Post #47 - August 30th, 2009, 6:08 pm Post #47 - August 30th, 2009, 6:08 pm
    well done eddie
    you looked good and so did your food
    burt, big ed's owes you at least one piece of pound cake
    i hope the hungry hound sends you business cards
    great job
    hope you get all the business you deserve
  • Post #48 - August 30th, 2009, 8:09 pm
    Post #48 - August 30th, 2009, 8:09 pm Post #48 - August 30th, 2009, 8:09 pm
    Dave - I think Burt is getting Lake County Bureau Chief shirts printed up already Dave
  • Post #49 - August 30th, 2009, 9:10 pm
    Post #49 - August 30th, 2009, 9:10 pm Post #49 - August 30th, 2009, 9:10 pm
    Head's Red BBQ wrote:Dave - I think Burt is getting Lake County Bureau Chief shirts printed up already Dave

baby ray wrote:burt, big ed's owes you at least one piece of pound cake
    i hope the hungry hound sends you business cards

You guys!! :lol:

Maybe I should consider updating my LTH auto signature to say that!!
  • Post #50 - September 1st, 2009, 9:10 am
    Post #50 - September 1st, 2009, 9:10 am Post #50 - September 1st, 2009, 9:10 am
    Wouldn't that be "Northern Lake County Bureau Chief"? :lol:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #51 - September 1st, 2009, 9:23 am
    Post #51 - September 1st, 2009, 9:23 am Post #51 - September 1st, 2009, 9:23 am
    Katie wrote:Wouldn't that be "Northern Lake County Bureau Chief"? :lol:

:lol: funny!
  • Post #52 - September 3rd, 2009, 7:10 pm
    Post #52 - September 3rd, 2009, 7:10 pm Post #52 - September 3rd, 2009, 7:10 pm
    Having been in the area yesterday, I was thrilled to get the chance to try Big Ed's. One very nice feature is that it is just off I-94, making it very accessible.

I tried the ribs, links and tips. My favorites were the tips which were nicely seasoned, although I would have preferred a bit more smoke flavor. That being said, a few were just way too fatty. My ribs were tasty but slightly dry and a tad tender for my liking - also could have used a little more seasoning and smoke flavor. I notice Ed doesn't remove the membrane - I'm not sure if this is why I thought they could have used more seasoning, and I'm not sure what others think of removing vs. not removing the membrane, although I always remove it. I liked the seasoning in the hot links, but I really think he needs to put some heat back in. They were probably the mildest hot links I've ever tasted.

As for sides, I agree with the comments on the mac & cheese - really good, and I'd say more than a hint of garlic flavor but I love garlic so I liked this version quite a bit. The fries were really good too, much better than those served by Honey 1.

I also managed to put down most of a piece of the pound cake. I thought it was very good and moist with a nice bit of crust, but nothing I'd go crazy about.

As for Big Ed and his crew - a very friendly group who went out of their way to make sure everything was fine. I don't know when I'll make it out that way again, but I'd certainly be willing to return and try a few more of Ed's offerings.
  • Post #53 - September 4th, 2009, 8:43 am
    Post #53 - September 4th, 2009, 8:43 am Post #53 - September 4th, 2009, 8:43 am
    BR wrote:Having been in the area yesterday, I was thrilled to get the chance to try Big Ed's. One very nice feature is that it is just off I-94, making it very accessible.

wondering which route you took, i live in the area so don't take i-94 to get there but based on my theoretical highway route (i-94 to 137 east to green bay to MLK), i wouldn't say it's right off i-94. it's actually closer to 41 isn't it?
  • Post #54 - September 4th, 2009, 2:58 pm
    Post #54 - September 4th, 2009, 2:58 pm Post #54 - September 4th, 2009, 2:58 pm
    dudefella wrote:
    BR wrote:Having been in the area yesterday, I was thrilled to get the chance to try Big Ed's. One very nice feature is that it is just off I-94, making it very accessible.

wondering which route you took, i live in the area so don't take i-94 to get there but based on my theoretical highway route (i-94 to 137 east to green bay to MLK), i wouldn't say it's right off i-94. it's actually closer to 41 isn't it?

Yes, it is closer to 41, but I was already on 94 and once I exited, it was a real quick drive over there . . . just over a couple miles and about 5 minutes.
  • Post #55 - September 5th, 2009, 10:26 pm
    Post #55 - September 5th, 2009, 10:26 pm Post #55 - September 5th, 2009, 10:26 pm
    I had a great lunch today at Big Ed's, where there has been a noticeable and pleasant upward trend with both food and service, which have always been good but continue to improve with each visit.

In addition to the stalwart ribs and tips, hot links and brisket have hit new levels . . .

Hot Link (and some damn fine tips below it)
    Light, crispy snap on the exterior with terrific, satisfying definition on the interior. The grind had a pleasant coarseness and the blend of spices provided a perfect heat level.

Brisket
    Juicy, smokey and with just enough fat left on the exterior. This brisket was not mushy but just tender enough to be easily cut with a plastic knife.

Cornbread
    I'd never had this before (I normally go to Ed's for dinner, by which time they are usually out). All I can say is wow! It was crusty and caramelized on the outside, almost like canele. Inside, the sweet taste of corn was front and center, and the texture was moist and tender.

Big Ed's continues to improve, as Ed seems to have really hit his stride. I love that he's always tweaking, tinkering and improving his offerings. As much as I have always enjoyed eating at Big Ed's, today's lunch has me looking forward to my next visit even more. On the service side, even with a relatively full house, wait times were brief, food was served piping hot and the friendliness factor . . . well, that hasn't changed one bit. It's as genuine as it was the very first time I stepped into Ed's shop.

=R=
  • Post #56 - September 6th, 2009, 7:35 am
    Post #56 - September 6th, 2009, 7:35 am Post #56 - September 6th, 2009, 7:35 am
    i was at Eds on Thursday..I have to agree that the brisket has gone up a notch..tips and links out of this world as usual
  • Post #57 - September 6th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Post #57 - September 6th, 2009, 9:41 am Post #57 - September 6th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Ronnie,

It sounds like we missed each other at Big Ed's by a couple of hours. The Chow Poodle and I stopped in for a snack around 4:00. I'll echo everyone's comments about the friendliness of the staff. Even though they had a full house (seemingly as a result of the Dolinski piece) and things were pretty disorganized at the ordering window, everyone was made to feel welcome and the crew never let the smiles leave their faces. We ordered both tips and brisket, along with some mac & cheese and beans.

I found the brisket to be nicely smoked, though a bit on the dry side and "sliced so thin, you'd serve it to your mother in law", to borrow a line from a Ginsu Knife commercial. It was certainly within the acceptable range, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. I suppose if I lived in Northern Lake County and I didn't have the ability to smoke my own brisket, I'd consider ordering it once in a while.

Big Ed's Brisket

The tips were nice and meaty but were similarly dry and devoid of much fat (not in a good way). They weren't victims of being held too long; they were fresh off the smoker, leading me to believe that cooking the meat to this stage is a style choice made by Big Ed. Personally, I prefer more fatty moisture in my BBQ meat, but I can see the rationale for cooking this way. The tips had some nice bark and the rub that Big Ed uses really has a great flavor profile and brings a lot to the table. It accents the taste of the pork nicely. I also liked the sauce, which they gladly served on the side.

Big Ed's Rib Tips

The Mac N Cheese was nice and creamy. I could definitely taste the garlic as others have mentioned, but felt it could have used a little something else to give it a kick. I thought it was a little on the bland side. Maybe something as simple as a shot of salt in the pasta cooking water would have helped. The beans, on the other hand, were very good. I liked the addition of hamburger meat and onions.

Big Ed's Beans

We took a couple of slices of pound cake with us to eat when we got home last night. I think the pound cake is outstanding. It lived up to the superlatives others have heaped upon it and may very well have been the best thing I ate all day.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #58 - September 6th, 2009, 10:09 am
    Post #58 - September 6th, 2009, 10:09 am Post #58 - September 6th, 2009, 10:09 am
    stevez wrote:The beans, on the other hand, were very good. I liked the addition of hamburger meat and onions.

I think that's actually ground, smoked turkey but I can't remember for sure. In either case, I agree that it's very nice.

=R=
  • Post #59 - September 6th, 2009, 10:22 am
    Post #59 - September 6th, 2009, 10:22 am Post #59 - September 6th, 2009, 10:22 am
    ronnie-i think he adds smoked turkey to the collards (which are great BTW) ..not the beans
  • Post #60 - September 6th, 2009, 10:31 am
    Post #60 - September 6th, 2009, 10:31 am Post #60 - September 6th, 2009, 10:31 am
    Head's Red BBQ wrote:ronnie-i think he adds smoked turkey to the collards (which are great BTW) ..not the beans

Thanks, Bill, for the clarification.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events