LTH Home

Food Trucks

Food Trucks
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Food Trucks

Post #1 - January 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm
    Post #1 - January 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm Post #1 - January 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm
    Can we start to compile a list of food trucks spotted around town?

Identifying the neighborhood, usual hours of operation and type of cuisine would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
  • Post #2 - January 2nd, 2010, 4:52 pm
    Post #2 - January 2nd, 2010, 4:52 pm Post #2 - January 2nd, 2010, 4:52 pm
    Is it also possible-
    that we can use the collective might/wisdom/"passion-for-good food"
    found here on lthforum-
    to modify The Mayors/City Councils
    "formal" position on off-premises food sales?

I mean if we want to be known as a "food centric" town, beyond
    Deep Dish and Hot Dougs and Alinea, why can't there be
    a "zone" or part of town where entrepreneurs can try out new food concept with out
    tearing up their IRA's?

The duality of the situation is truly absurd-
    Bootleg Food Trucks and 'Roach Coaches" are "legal"-
    whilst any Latino Mango/Elotes/Fruit seller is "illegal"-
    Selling from a cart on Chicago Park District Property is Legal (when licensed??!)
    yet,
    selling any food on any City Street or Boulevard is illegal?

How hard is it to revisit the laws and sanitation requirements needed to make Chicago, like
    Portland ,OR or LosAngeles in allowing and EMBRACING some diverse forms of "Street Food?
    What do ya say people- who's "wired" to an Alderman,
    or even better-
    da Mayor, that can help change the way our City looks upon "mobile food"?
  • Post #3 - January 2nd, 2010, 5:26 pm
    Post #3 - January 2nd, 2010, 5:26 pm Post #3 - January 2nd, 2010, 5:26 pm
    Phil Vettel made the same argument in Thursday's article on changes he'd like to see in Chicago's restaurant business in 2010.
  • Post #4 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am
    Post #4 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am Post #4 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am
    The restaurant Lobby will not allow a Portland style street scene. sadly !!
    Sun Ra - Do Not Confine Yourself To One Planet
  • Post #5 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am
    Post #5 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am Post #5 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am
    http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ this is a great site
    Sun Ra - Do Not Confine Yourself To One Planet
  • Post #6 - January 3rd, 2010, 10:15 am
    Post #6 - January 3rd, 2010, 10:15 am Post #6 - January 3rd, 2010, 10:15 am
    "The Restaurant Lobby",
    has no more a known face,
    than Rick Bayless- and if he's behind the concept of more a
    "mobile food" scene- then what argument does the "Restaurant Lobby" have,
    other than their same old ones?

The fact is- in this current economic environment we need more innovation-
    we need
    more creative ways to empower small business owners,
    and potential small business owners to get a leg up!

One of the more powerful benefits of places like Chicago's Maxwell Street,
    is that they created or allowed for an entry level/lower rung to the economic ladder of life.
    So many peddlers at Maxwell Street, who started without even a "cart" or a "table" just a handful of mismatched socks
    to carry up and sell to people on the street- have become Chicago business giants....
    where do you think Morrie Mages Sports Store got his start?
    Where do you think the legendary sellers of fine Mens Suits,
    Gene and Joe Silverberg of Bigsby & Kruthers fame
    (ex-haberdasher of Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman amongst others..

My point is- no where in history is there a better time,
    for a solution to many of the "ills"/downsides of starting a restaurant/cafe/food establishment,
    than today-
    by making "mobile food" sales legal and profitable in Chicago.
  • Post #7 - January 3rd, 2010, 6:05 pm
    Post #7 - January 3rd, 2010, 6:05 pm Post #7 - January 3rd, 2010, 6:05 pm
    Maybe we can start with the Evanston side of Howard Street? :lol:
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #8 - January 3rd, 2010, 8:31 pm
    Post #8 - January 3rd, 2010, 8:31 pm Post #8 - January 3rd, 2010, 8:31 pm
    Evanston's even harder on food trucks than Chicago is: they just have fewer resources to catch them.
  • Post #9 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:24 pm
    Post #9 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:24 pm Post #9 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:24 pm
    I guess that's true. Many universities are a magnet for food trucks, but I haven't seen any at NU. What is the Evanston politics that produces that bias?
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #10 - January 3rd, 2010, 10:09 pm
    Post #10 - January 3rd, 2010, 10:09 pm Post #10 - January 3rd, 2010, 10:09 pm
    Hi,

I was in New York last week, where I met someone in the vending business. He advised his vending machines, mostly located in coin laundries, have not suffered any decline in business.

The conversation drifted to roach coaches, which he said has been hard hit. Many visit construction sites and car dealerships, which have shrunk or disappeared.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #11 - January 4th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Post #11 - January 4th, 2010, 9:32 pm Post #11 - January 4th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Having attended The World of Flavors Street Food Convention and absorbing all that I could, Wine and Food:)

Roy Choi was staying at my hotel and I had a chance to speak with him for a moment on this subject.. In case you are in a bubble, he started KogiBBQ.

Hi wisdom of "you have to slip throught the shadows of the night" was very true. His trucks are banned from some areas, he gets tickets, towed, shutdown etc. His answer is"we just roll with it." He is a true renegade.

I have been researching this for a year now. I am planning on something mobile soon. Anyone interested in sharing the glory of being food ninjas of the night. Send me a message.

Matt F

http://schooloffires.com
    Lack of curiosity will be our downfall
    Matt Freistadt
    Director of Research and Development
    Protein Solutions
    Chicago, IL
    http://www.proteinsolutions.net
  • Post #12 - January 5th, 2010, 8:53 pm
    Post #12 - January 5th, 2010, 8:53 pm Post #12 - January 5th, 2010, 8:53 pm
    Santa Monica has taken an unused "lot"- and transformed it into
    a Food Truck zone- unofficially speaking...
    Santa Monica's Food Truck Lot
    http://laist.com/2010/01/04/quick_report_santa_monicas_food_tru.php
  • Post #13 - January 6th, 2010, 11:56 am
    Post #13 - January 6th, 2010, 11:56 am Post #13 - January 6th, 2010, 11:56 am
    Hombre de Acero wrote:Santa Monica has taken an unused "lot"- and transformed it into
    a Food Truck zone- unofficially speaking...
    Santa Monica's Food Truck Lot
    http://laist.com/2010/01/04/quick_report_santa_monicas_food_tru.php

I think I would hate to see this happen in Chicago, though I suspect it might help revitalize the Maxwell Street Market if they haven't already figured that out.
  • Post #14 - January 6th, 2010, 2:08 pm
    Post #14 - January 6th, 2010, 2:08 pm Post #14 - January 6th, 2010, 2:08 pm
    GAF wrote:I guess that's true. Many universities are a magnet for food trucks, but I haven't seen any at NU. What is the Evanston politics that produces that bias?

Not really politics, largely health code (see subsection H,) - interestingly, the State health code cited requires a cart to have a pressurized potable water source and a waste-water system, something that pretty much restricts mobile food operations to large-scale operations - so it seems it depends on the municipality's stand on enforcement. As I recall, Evanston's health inspectors weren't pushovers. Mobile businesses also require a license in Evanston, something many of them don't have (though I don't think that's a big deal, it's just filling out a form and paying a fee) This doesn't stop our school playground from being overrun with ice cream and candy vendors after school in the summer (not that I mind, as long as there's a paleta vendor.) I'm guessing NWU itself discourages mobile food vendors.

Right or wrong, I wonder if sometimes the purpose of these kinds of restrictive health codes is to reduce the number of businesses that have to be inspected regularly - I can't imagine enforcing yearly inspections for every paleta vendor and ice cream truck everywhere, let alone the tamales, elotes, etc. It might be more reasonable, though, to offer a small number of licenses limited to the number of mobile businesses that can be inspected.
  • Post #15 - January 6th, 2010, 2:37 pm
    Post #15 - January 6th, 2010, 2:37 pm Post #15 - January 6th, 2010, 2:37 pm
    Every time this comes up, I wonder about (and point out) the well-established Puerto Rican carts in Humboldt Park that clearly meet City code requirements. Why wouldn't other cuisines be able to do likewise? They might need to be situated in a park, and i don't see the city allowing anything like that in Millenium, but why not Grant or parts of Lincoln?
  • Post #16 - January 6th, 2010, 2:48 pm
    Post #16 - January 6th, 2010, 2:48 pm Post #16 - January 6th, 2010, 2:48 pm
    Hi,

Washburne Culinary School had a food concession at Buckingham Fountain last summer via the Chicago Park District.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #17 - January 6th, 2010, 3:15 pm
    Post #17 - January 6th, 2010, 3:15 pm Post #17 - January 6th, 2010, 3:15 pm
    Does tamale man count??
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #18 - January 8th, 2010, 10:20 am
    Post #18 - January 8th, 2010, 10:20 am Post #18 - January 8th, 2010, 10:20 am
    The original idea behind the Korean Taco Trucks
    of LA-
    is featured in this Wall Street Journal article....
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... _lifestyle
  • Post #19 - September 28th, 2010, 1:05 pm
    Post #19 - September 28th, 2010, 1:05 pm Post #19 - September 28th, 2010, 1:05 pm
    Word to the wise - just found out that Evanston's first food truck, Hummingbird Kitchen, will debut at Bike the Ridge this upcoming Sunday from 9-noon (don't drive there :D - Ridge will be closed from 8-1)
  • Post #20 - September 28th, 2010, 1:49 pm
    Post #20 - September 28th, 2010, 1:49 pm Post #20 - September 28th, 2010, 1:49 pm
    Out here in the Bay Area, there is a food truck culture, but it is one by which I am a bit put-off. In my mind, food trucks should be small, ethnic, and somewhat scruffy. But here one finds massive trucks, often owned by local restaurants. To me that works against the food truck aesthetic and food truck economics, a location where local entrepreneurs can make a living, providing food for the neighborhood or campus. I have the feeling that should we win the battle of food trucks, we will come to see a set of unintended consequences.

The wealthy and powerful rarely lose.
  • Post #21 - October 12th, 2010, 2:02 pm
    Post #21 - October 12th, 2010, 2:02 pm Post #21 - October 12th, 2010, 2:02 pm
    Inspectors in Rearview as Food Trucks Rule Road - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/us/12 ... ref=dining
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #22 - October 12th, 2010, 2:27 pm
    Post #22 - October 12th, 2010, 2:27 pm Post #22 - October 12th, 2010, 2:27 pm
    "Design your own food truck concept and signature meal" via GOOD on Twitter:

GOOD wrote:Project: Food Truck Fantasy

Want BBQ mango wings with a side of pudding? Look no further than the streets of Los Angeles. Craving bacon-topped waffles? New York's got them. Haven't tried Korean BBQ tacos yet? Get on it. They're quickly approaching "so 2009" status.

From coast to coast, food trucks are reinventing what and how Americans eat. In the process, they're mashing up our culinary traditions to create some of the wackiest and most delicious combinations we've eaten in years.

Have food truck entrepreneurs used up all the best ideas already? Or do you have a fresh concept for a food truck you'd be willing to wait in line for? In the spirit of unbridled food truck creativity, our latest GOOD Project wants to know: What would your fantasy food truck be?

Like any food truck, your dream truck needs to have a cool concept and signature dish. What would you call it? What would it serve? We'll compile the best ideas into a slideshow format, and the GOOD community will vote to choose their favorite.

the THEME

The food truck revolution is sweeping American cities. What's your food truck fantasy?

the OBJECTIVE

We want to see what's missing from the mobile culinary landscape. Dream up a concept for a food truck that doesn't exist yet. Name your truck and explain the concept. Then, cook up the signature dish and take a photo. If you're culinarily challenged, you can draw or graphically represent your signature dish.

the REQUIREMENTS

Send an e-mail to projects[at]goodinc[dot]com with your submission. Submissions must include the following: 1) name of the truck, 2) a few sentences describing the concept, and 3) an image of the signature dish. It can be in any image format, but it should be high enough resolution that it can be printed at 300 dpi. We’ll take submissions now through October 17. We'll publish a Picture Show with a selection of the best submissions on October 21.

Once we receive the images, we will turn to you, the GOOD community, to choose the winning submission by voting. The winning entry will be announced on October 28 and featured on our homepage. The winner will also receive a GOOD T-shirt and a free subscription (or gift subscription).
  • Post #23 - October 29th, 2010, 2:38 pm
    Post #23 - October 29th, 2010, 2:38 pm Post #23 - October 29th, 2010, 2:38 pm
    Restaurant Franchises Try Truckin' as a Way to Grow - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 68160.html
  • Post #24 - October 30th, 2010, 10:48 am
    Post #24 - October 30th, 2010, 10:48 am Post #24 - October 30th, 2010, 10:48 am
    Chicago will legalize food trucks just in time for the fleet of McTrucks to hit the streets. Awesome.

-Dan
  • Post #25 - October 31st, 2010, 7:10 am
    Post #25 - October 31st, 2010, 7:10 am Post #25 - October 31st, 2010, 7:10 am
    dansch wrote:Chicago will legalize food trucks just in time for the fleet of McTrucks to hit the streets. Awesome.

-Dan

Don't think it won't happen!

I wish all this food truck energy was being put into developing a decent permanant market instead of food trucks, but that's just me.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #26 - December 13th, 2010, 3:58 pm
    Post #26 - December 13th, 2010, 3:58 pm Post #26 - December 13th, 2010, 3:58 pm
    Moving Violations: In Chicago, Cooking and Driving Don't Mix - from today's WSJ - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... _lifestyle
  • Post #27 - December 14th, 2010, 9:15 am
    Post #27 - December 14th, 2010, 9:15 am Post #27 - December 14th, 2010, 9:15 am
    Interesting article in the Sun Times today:

Local restaurant owners choke on proposal for food trucks
  • Post #28 - January 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm
    Post #28 - January 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm Post #28 - January 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm
    Another food truck on the way, this one serving Pasties:

http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/ ... ort-pasty/

They can be followed on Twitter @bridgeportpasty
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #29 - January 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm
    Post #29 - January 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm Post #29 - January 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm
    Ursiform wrote:Another food truck on the way, this one serving Pasties:

One day at the end of December I was hanging around in Bridgeport and lucked into meeting Jay and Carrie, owners of Bridgeport Pasty Co. I got to sample a test batch of pasties and thought they were very good. The big chunks of beef and butter crust impressed me. I look forward to following the progress of the Pastymobile. From what I understand they will have no storefront but their pasties may be available in local coffee shops etc.

Bridgeport Pasty Company
    http://bridgeportpasty.com/
    http://twitter.com/BridgeportPasty#
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bridgepor ... 5156766933
  • Post #30 - January 24th, 2011, 4:16 pm
    Post #30 - January 24th, 2011, 4:16 pm Post #30 - January 24th, 2011, 4:16 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Ursiform wrote:Another food truck on the way, this one serving Pasties:

One day at the end of December I was hanging around in Bridgeport and lucked into meeting Jay and Carrie, owners of Bridgeport Pasty Co. I got to sample a test batch of pasties and thought they were very good. The big chunks of beef and butter crust impressed me.

Doesn't sound very authentic.

But seriously, a vendor selling pasties, empanadas, patties, etc. could do a ton without having to cook to order....

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more