LTH Home

Cajun Connection - Utica, IL. - The Truth

Cajun Connection - Utica, IL. - The Truth
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - January 30th, 2010, 7:29 am
    Post #91 - January 30th, 2010, 7:29 am Post #91 - January 30th, 2010, 7:29 am
    Got out to CC last night around 5:30, and got seated right away. within 10 minutes the vestibule was packed with folks waiting for a table. When we left @ 7:00 there was probably 30 people waiting. The first crawfish of the season, fresh from Louisiana did not dissapoint at all. Quickly reminded me why i love them so. Price was a couple bucks more than las year, but still worth it. No pics, but look upthread for what to expect, my hands were too busy plowing through a pile of mudbugs to take pics

Started out as usual with the cup of gumbo that comes with every entree. his gumbo is the best I have had in Chicagoland by a wide margin. Perfect dark broth, right mix of andouille, rice, and pork. I pretty much lick the bowl clean, and debate if I wanted a second cup like I do on every visit. If you like gumbo you owe yourself a visit to CC to try the best around these parts.

Back to the star of the night, the mudbugs. Offered a couple different ways. A 4 pound version with corn and pred potato for $23.95. A crawfish sampler with the boiled crawfish, fried tails, and crawfish etouffe for about $19. The last was a 2 lb. refill of crawfish for $12.95. A cuple bucks more than last year, but its all good.

Being an LTH glutton I went for the 4lbs, and the 2 lb. refill right off the bat. 6 lbs of beatiful mudbugs soon arrived. Steaming hot, perfectly cooked, and spiced. These mudbugs were not the largest in size I have ever had, but they may have been some of the best, possibly because of it had been a while since I had had some. Tender tails, poppin with flavor, and some spice. I devestated all 6 lbs pretty easily.

Also eaten was a deep fried alligator kids meal for my daughter($4.99) which was great as usual. Once again perfectly deep fried gator, tender, and just great. My wife had the bubba shrimp, and red beans and rice 2 fer which was as it always is.. good.

total tab with 3 Abita's before tip $71. Well worth it if simply for the mudbugs, gumbo, and gator.

If you love crawfish get out here this weekend. Doors open @ 4:00 today, and based on previous Sat. crawfish boil experiences be there when they open, or you will be waiting.
    Last edited by jimswside on January 30th, 2010, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #92 - January 30th, 2010, 9:03 am
    Post #92 - January 30th, 2010, 9:03 am Post #92 - January 30th, 2010, 9:03 am
    I smell a Gumbo throwdown! Glad you got some mudbugs Jim, Can't wait til next week! I am planning on making a trip out there this spring and maybe a side trip to Starved Rock. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about at Cajun Connection.
    Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?...........Louis Armstrong
  • Post #93 - January 30th, 2010, 9:08 am
    Post #93 - January 30th, 2010, 9:08 am Post #93 - January 30th, 2010, 9:08 am
    jhawk1 wrote:I smell a Gumbo throwdown! Glad you got some mudbugs Jim, Can't wait til next week! I am planning on making a trip out there this spring and maybe a side trip to Starved Rock. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about at Cajun Connection.

lol... your version is good and my second favorite around Danny.

if this batch of crawfish are any sign of this years crop, you should have a great boil next weekend.
  • Post #94 - February 24th, 2010, 8:02 am
    Post #94 - February 24th, 2010, 8:02 am Post #94 - February 24th, 2010, 8:02 am
    Just got an email from CC

another Crawfish boil this weekend 2/26 - 2/28(Fri-Sun) while they last. also raw oysters, and bananas foster dessert. The batch I had from them a few weeks ago were great. Dont miss out.

If I wasnt gonna be busy practicing bbq, Id be going for sure.
  • Post #95 - March 12th, 2010, 7:26 am
    Post #95 - March 12th, 2010, 7:26 am Post #95 - March 12th, 2010, 7:26 am
    according to the CC website it appears there will be another crawfish boil the weekend of March 26-28.
  • Post #96 - April 21st, 2010, 2:46 pm
    Post #96 - April 21st, 2010, 2:46 pm Post #96 - April 21st, 2010, 2:46 pm
    another chance to get to a crawfish boil this season.....

this Thursday - Sunday 4/22 - 4/25. plus some gulf oysters on the halfshell if they are available according to CC website & an email I got.
  • Post #97 - July 28th, 2010, 5:20 pm
    Post #97 - July 28th, 2010, 5:20 pm Post #97 - July 28th, 2010, 5:20 pm
    Forgot to mention - was visiting the Hennepin Canal with a friend for some camping, and she surprised me by asking to stop at Cajun connection on the way home with all the kids. Food was terrific - I had two appetizers (trying to keep my girlish figure or something) of the boudin balls and the etouffe - both were excellent, and the hubby was happy to get the boudin I didn't eat. Sparky wanted to get a mixed kids' meal of alligator, crawfish, and shrimp, but had to settle for shrimp.

Ron was out working the crowd, was so tickled to find out that Sparky had tried to master frying shrimp that he told us his secret breading recipe (which I'll never tell. He's a big guy. :D )
  • Post #98 - August 24th, 2010, 11:05 am
    Post #98 - August 24th, 2010, 11:05 am Post #98 - August 24th, 2010, 11:05 am
    Received a mailing list email from the folks @ Cajun Connection about them being nominated by a customer for the ABC Nightline Platelist Contest.

Great to see a LTH GNR, and these good folks nominated. There is a link on the CC website to the ABC Nightline page.

Voting starts 8/26 and runs through 9/26 with the winner being announced 9/27 live.

CC is one of the most unique restaurants in Chicagoland, with very good food. Hopefully folks will cast a vote for them.

http://www.ronscajunconnection.com
  • Post #99 - November 1st, 2010, 8:39 am
    Post #99 - November 1st, 2010, 8:39 am Post #99 - November 1st, 2010, 8:39 am
    My wife and I went out to CC last Saturday. Had a wonderful meal. Started out with peel and eat shrimp that were cooked and spiced perfectly. Then gumbo that was as good as any I've had in New Orleans. The entree I had was a crawfish etouffee and jambalaya combination that also included some of his Bubba shrimp. The crawfish and jambalaya were great but the Bubba shrimp were the best fried shrimp I have ever eaten. Big, butterflied shrimp, lightly breaded and fried just crispy but not overcooked. My wife had catfish that melted in her mouth and of course Bubba shrimp. We had pumpkin bread pudding for desert which we wound up taking home because we had maxxed out by then. The most amazing thing, 2 glasses of wine, 2 beers, and all of the above, just barely $60.
  • Post #100 - November 7th, 2010, 5:35 pm
    Post #100 - November 7th, 2010, 5:35 pm Post #100 - November 7th, 2010, 5:35 pm
    My trip to Ottawa finally happened yesterday after a couple of delays. I got out there a little later than I wanted to, so my friend and I didn't get to the CC until about 845pm (Sat. night). It is really out in the sticks, several miles west of Ottawa. Anyway, when I pulled into the front parking area I was surprised by a sign that said "Winter hours, closing at 900pm on Fri and Sat", or something to that effect. I have never read this thread before now, and just figured any good restaurant is going to be open until at 1000pm on Sat night, but I didn't realize how far out it was. Since it was so late I figured we might get shut out, but Ron said sure, we'll take care of you.

We were the last ones seated. There was a party of eight still going strong, but other than that, we were the only customers there. I didn't want to push my luck, so I ordered the special, which was dungeness crab legs, shrimp etoufee, and bubba shrimp. We got an appetizer of fried corn and fried alligator meat. The corn was sweet and tender. I had never eaten alligator before, it was very mild and tender, and came with a tasty sweet BBQ sauce for dipping. Their french fries are excellent, seasoned with some kind of cajun spices, and cooked perfectly. The gumbo that comes with dinner is excellent. When dinner arrived, Ron announced "last call for alcohol" and the table of eight ordered a last round, as did we. The bubba shrimp were the stars of the dinner combo. They were some of the best fried shrimp I've ever had. The batter is excellent; not thick, not hard, but thin, light, and slightly crisp, not overpowering the shrimp. The etoufee was quite good also, served on perfectly cooked rice, and having a wonderful spice flavoring. The dungeness crab was OK, but probably my least favorite item of the dinner. I got some key lime pie for dessert, and it was the best KLP I have ever had, hands down. The table of eight had left about half through our dinner, so I felt conspicuous about being the only customer there, when all of the workers clearly wanted to get out and go home. I wouldn't say they rushed us out, but when your drinks are cut off and you are all alone, you don't really want to stay any longer than necessary. I must say though, that it was my fault for not getting there earlier. Ron was very cordial, and the food was definitely worth the trip.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #101 - November 7th, 2010, 5:41 pm
    Post #101 - November 7th, 2010, 5:41 pm Post #101 - November 7th, 2010, 5:41 pm
    im glad the last couple visitors out to CC enjoyed their visits..

it is a haul for city folks, but it easily ranks in my top 5 of any of the GNR's there are( & I get around :D ).

CC is what the GNR's is all about imho.
  • Post #102 - November 7th, 2010, 10:58 pm
    Post #102 - November 7th, 2010, 10:58 pm Post #102 - November 7th, 2010, 10:58 pm
    I don't want to hijack the thread, BUT--Mrs. Roadhouse and I are planning a Tuesday trip down to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks. The original plan was to finish the day at Cajun Connection until I found out they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. The backup plan, Rip's Tavern for fried chicken, also went down in flames for the same reason. SO, all you north central Illinois folks, gimme a backup backup plan for dinner this Tuesday, anywhere within a 25 mile radius of the state parks, or someplace good on the way back to Chicago along I-80.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Surviving Ottawa, Illinois thread and have looked through it casually. There's a lot of information there and I'm hoping someone familiar with the area and the hours of the place they'd recommend will see this plea and come up with a definitive answer for our dinner.

We're looking for Roadfood-y places; supper clubs, fried chicken or pork tenderloin joints, high quality diners, roadhouses, taverns and bars with surprisingly good food, you know the drill.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Buddy
  • Post #103 - November 8th, 2010, 9:16 am
    Post #103 - November 8th, 2010, 9:16 am Post #103 - November 8th, 2010, 9:16 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, BUT--Mrs. Roadhouse and I are planning a Tuesday trip down to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks. The original plan was to finish the day at Cajun Connection until I found out they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. The backup plan, Rip's Tavern for fried chicken, also went down in flames for the same reason. SO, all you north central Illinois folks, gimme a backup backup plan for dinner this Tuesday, anywhere within a 25 mile radius of the state parks, or someplace good on the way back to Chicago along I-80.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Surviving Ottawa, Illinois thread and have looked through it casually. There's a lot of information there and I'm hoping someone familiar with the area and the hours of the place they'd recommend will see this plea and come up with a definitive answer for our dinner.

We're looking for Roadfood-y places; supper clubs, fried chicken or pork tenderloin joints, high quality diners, roadhouses, taverns and bars with surprisingly good food, you know the drill.

Thanks,

Buddy

I like the fried chicken at the Starved Rock Lodge
  • Post #104 - November 8th, 2010, 9:24 am
    Post #104 - November 8th, 2010, 9:24 am Post #104 - November 8th, 2010, 9:24 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Yes, I'm familiar with the Surviving Ottawa, Illinois thread and have looked through it casually. There's a lot of information there and I'm hoping someone familiar with the area and the hours of the place they'd recommend will see this plea and come up with a definitive answer for our dinner.

Thanks,

Buddy

I'm hoping that jimswside joins in here, he lives in the area and has a lot of local knowledge.
  • Post #105 - November 8th, 2010, 11:07 am
    Post #105 - November 8th, 2010, 11:07 am Post #105 - November 8th, 2010, 11:07 am
    LikestoEatout wrote:I'm hoping that jimswside joins in here, he lives in the area and has a lot of local knowledge.

thanks,

I have a few places we like that might fit the request:

Sadly as you have found out 2 of the top places are not open early in the week, that goes for Bartley's supper club as well. Other places will only be open for supper(after 4:00 p.m.)

- Cherry Supper Club - really nice fried chicken(one of my top 4 choices), cheap drinks, supper club. Cherry Illinois is the town next to Ladd where Ripps is. So a little West on I-80 from Starved Rock

Cherry Supper CLub
    120 N. Main Street
    Cherry, IL.

http://www.cherry-supperclub.com

-John's North Star - really nice fried chicken(our favorite right now) LTHr glennpan turned me onto this spot.. Supper club, cheap drinks, friendly spot in LaSalle. there is a thread on John's on lth

John's North Star
    1840 Saint Vincennes Ave.
    Lasalle, IL.

815-224-2271

Smitty's Bar & Grill - broasted chicken(one of my top 4) and pork chops on select night. Tuesdays are wing nights, and their wings are darn good. Huge tenderloin sandwich. Cheap, freindly bar in Leonore, IL. maybe 20 minutes south of Starved Rock

Smitty's Bar & Grill
    Leonore, IL. (only 1 road in town)

815-856-2030

Hank's Farm - solid fried chicken in an old barn. nice salad bar, and an interesting place. east of Starved Rock off I-80.

Hank's Farm
    2973 North State Route 71
    Ottawa, IL.

815-433-2540

i hope these give you some options.
  • Post #106 - November 8th, 2010, 11:58 am
    Post #106 - November 8th, 2010, 11:58 am Post #106 - November 8th, 2010, 11:58 am
    Thank you.

Hank's was on my short list. It was actually recommended by one of the owners of another establishment I called, checking on their hours, only to find out they too are closed the early part of the week.

I'm sure one of these options will work.

Buddy
  • Post #107 - November 8th, 2010, 12:45 pm
    Post #107 - November 8th, 2010, 12:45 pm Post #107 - November 8th, 2010, 12:45 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Thank you.

Hank's was on my short list. It was actually recommended by one of the owners of another establishment I called, checking on their hours, only to find out they too are closed the early part of the week.

I'm sure one of these options will work.

Buddy

Hanks is the closes to where I live(maybe 5 minutes), and we go there the least. Not a bad place, just not on the same level as the others to us.

Cherry Supper CLub & Smitty's are open for sure, John's Im not 100% sure of. Ive only gone on a Thursday & Sunday I think.
  • Post #108 - November 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm
    Post #108 - November 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm Post #108 - November 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm
    jim, thanks for zeroing in on our target for us. As a big fan of the Wisconsin supper club, I'm thinking the Cherry might be our best fit.

Thanks again,

Buddy
  • Post #109 - November 8th, 2010, 5:54 pm
    Post #109 - November 8th, 2010, 5:54 pm Post #109 - November 8th, 2010, 5:54 pm
    Hard to believe so many places are closed on Mon and Tues. Is it just due to lack of business, or some kind of local work ethic?
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #110 - March 15th, 2011, 2:37 pm
    Post #110 - March 15th, 2011, 2:37 pm Post #110 - March 15th, 2011, 2:37 pm
    It had been way too long since I had visited CC.

I didnt feel like cooking on Sunday, so lunch @ CC was an easy choice. Having recently returned from a blow out, epic, food trip to NOLA, and then this visit to CC confirmed what I kind of already knew. CC is the best cajun restaurant in northern Illinois, & CC could hold its own in NOLA with the food they turn out. Probably because the owner is from the bayou, not some carpetbagger cajun.

Place was about half full when we arrived @ 12:15, and was full by the time we left. Special was dungeness crab, bubba shrimp, crab and shrimp etouffee, and a cup of gumbo for $18. Vangie went with crawfish tails done scampi style, bubba shrimp, red beans and rice & a cup of gumbo. All items hit the mark, etouffee was spot on, great sauce, and plenty of shrimp and lump served over perfectly cooked rice(rice...., not a baked potato like I was served at one "cajun" spot in Chicagoland.. :roll: ).

Gumbo, solid as always, pieces of shredded pork, and sausage, nice broth.

Abita Jockamo and root beer were the drinks of choice. Overall a great return trip.

Ron was working the room towards the end of our meal, and came over and chatted. He said the next crawfish boil could be the weekend of March 25th(if the bugs are big enough when he is down in Louisiana next week). His boils are top notch.

I took some pics, but the harddrive on my laptop fried(4 months old, thanks HP), so I get to play computer nerd tonight and install a new one.
  • Post #111 - March 21st, 2011, 1:41 pm
    Post #111 - March 21st, 2011, 1:41 pm Post #111 - March 21st, 2011, 1:41 pm
    photos from our lunch there a couple sundays ago:

Dungeness, crab and shrimp etouffee & bubba shrimp:

Pick "3": bubba shrimp, crawfish scampi, red beans & rice:

Abita's:

still havent heard if Ron was bringing mudbugs back with him this week from Louisiana.
  • Post #112 - March 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm
    Post #112 - March 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm Post #112 - March 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm
    Wow...heck ya them plates look killer good! NICE...........
  • Post #113 - March 22nd, 2011, 6:05 pm
    Post #113 - March 22nd, 2011, 6:05 pm Post #113 - March 22nd, 2011, 6:05 pm
    Cbot wrote:Wow...heck ya them plates look killer good! NICE...........

Cajun Ron is the king. :D
  • Post #114 - March 30th, 2011, 9:54 am
    Post #114 - March 30th, 2011, 9:54 am Post #114 - March 30th, 2011, 9:54 am
    Got the word this a.m.,

Crawfish boil this weekend @ CC(Fri, Sat, Sun - while supplies last).

Cajun Ron is also bringing Louisiana oysters back up with him in addition to the mudbugs(now thats dedication).

Hoping I can squeeze a visit in.

I doubt anyone will trek out, but I figure I would spread the word.
  • Post #115 - March 31st, 2011, 6:14 pm
    Post #115 - March 31st, 2011, 6:14 pm Post #115 - March 31st, 2011, 6:14 pm
    jimswside wrote:I doubt anyone will trek out, but I figure I would spread the word.

Don't be so sure - my picky eater will be out of town and I'm looking to maximize my opportunities. Thanks for the heads up!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #116 - April 1st, 2011, 6:52 am
    Post #116 - April 1st, 2011, 6:52 am Post #116 - April 1st, 2011, 6:52 am
    Katie wrote:
    jimswside wrote:I doubt anyone will trek out, but I figure I would spread the word.

Don't be so sure - my picky eater will be out of town and I'm looking to maximize my opportunities. Thanks for the heads up!

it will be worth the trip,

sadly I cant take advantage of this opportunity to eat crawfish & oysters, weekend is booked.
  • Post #117 - May 2nd, 2012, 8:06 am
    Post #117 - May 2nd, 2012, 8:06 am Post #117 - May 2nd, 2012, 8:06 am
    Crawfish boil this weekend @ CC Thursday(5/3) thru Sunday(5/6) (or while they last).
  • Post #118 - June 19th, 2012, 7:06 am
    Post #118 - June 19th, 2012, 7:06 am Post #118 - June 19th, 2012, 7:06 am
    Nice to see one of the good guys getting some press.

From this weekends Trib:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... cajun-food
  • Post #119 - December 16th, 2012, 9:07 am
    Post #119 - December 16th, 2012, 9:07 am Post #119 - December 16th, 2012, 9:07 am
    It had been a while, maybe a year, stuck with where to eat when leaving Fairbury, IL. a backroad run up to CC became desirable.

Busy as usual on a Saturday @ 5:30. Seafood gumbo a special for the night so I got a cup of each. Hard to stack up doing back to back spoonfulls vs the standard gumbo, the seafood version was an interesting twist. Loads of crab crawfish and shrimp flavor. Loaded with the above items as well. Standard gumbo was a rich silky version as usual. Peel and eat shrimp appetizer was solid as was the dark and poppin red beans and rice on Vangies plate.

Rons still got the goods:

(L) reg (R) seafood:

my digital camera is dying, i promise im getting a new one for x-mas. :oops:
  • Post #120 - December 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm
    Post #120 - December 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm Post #120 - December 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm
    Great pics of some great food here. I met Ron in 1995 when he had his first Cajun Connection down the road west of where he is now. If you think his current operation is "cozy", I'll tell you his first place only had half as many tables & you had to get there plenty early (Rip's-like, cult following). I still try to get there 20 minutes before they open these days (usually Sundays), as they are always busy. Ron & Amy do a fine job with the cuisine & they are all about customer satisfaction. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Ron ask first-timers there "Have you ever had pecan pie?", only to hear him then say "No you haven't!", even after the guests answer that yes they have. His IS that good.

Ron's come a long way since he came up north on a construction crew & started earning praises for his cooking on job sites at lunchtime. He's been offered free reign at two other, bigger venues in Will & Grundy counties, but he is happy with his smaller, more personable atmosphere & his staff maintain in Utica.

Top-notch outfit.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more