LTH Home

Wells Brother's Pizza

Wells Brother's Pizza
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 6
  • Post #31 - April 3rd, 2010, 11:53 am
    Post #31 - April 3rd, 2010, 11:53 am Post #31 - April 3rd, 2010, 11:53 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:On July 1st, Wells Brother's will be "smoke free."
    I have to say that Wells Brothers was very well ventilated and I never noticed smoke from the bar, but I welcome any smoke-free environment.
  • Post #32 - April 3rd, 2010, 12:15 pm
    Post #32 - April 3rd, 2010, 12:15 pm Post #32 - April 3rd, 2010, 12:15 pm
    I don't really have anything to add to this thread as far as info but I will say there's a reason not one person has had anything close to bad to say about this place. Its one of my favorite joints anywhere and like is mentioned by everyone above, make sure you get here this summer. You will not be disappointed its full of flavor and the pizza is as good as anywhere and probby my fave. The pie we had this past Wed. was as good as ever. I got a chuckle when one of the employees (enjoying a pizza on her off day) asked the bartender if Alfred had been in earlier? He was.

Right off Sheridan Road/straight shot from Chicago

The pizza in all its glory

baked to perfection each time

Wells Brothers
    2148 Mead St
    Racine, WI 53403
    (262) 632-4408
    Website
  • Post #33 - April 3rd, 2010, 6:07 pm
    Post #33 - April 3rd, 2010, 6:07 pm Post #33 - April 3rd, 2010, 6:07 pm
    We took a little road trip today up to Racine to check out Wells Brothers. It turned into a nice afternoon after morning rain. (FYI and FWIW, passing the Tavern in Wadsworth on 41 we noticed the new addition is coming along and there is now a sign that says Captain Porky's. Not quite finished yet but construction was going on). Wells Brothers was a perfectly welcoming and inviting place in a sketchy neighborhood. Not that crowded on a rainy holiday weekend, mostly beefy white folks, my peeps. We ordered two pizzas because Mrs. Trpt cannot abide sausage and to me sausage IS pizza. Soup in the meantime, cheesy beer for me and lemon chicken with wild rice for Mrs. Both excellent. The pizzas were quite good, love the crackery crust style. Only quibble was that I asked for well done and brown, which they didn't do. I like a little brown on my chesse, but there was none. Prices were good, service terrific, atmosphere had a lot of character. I wouldn't rate it higher than Pat's but certainly worth a stop. Reminded me of Zeffiro's more than anything.
    We drove back all the way down Sheridan. There was a full lot at Captain Porky's.
    trpt2345
  • Post #34 - April 4th, 2010, 12:42 am
    Post #34 - April 4th, 2010, 12:42 am Post #34 - April 4th, 2010, 12:42 am
    Hi,

I took the Moms to Wells Brothers this afternoon. The full on cracker crust from last week was not quite present today. I talked to the waitress who served last week, because the pizzas were quite different: today's was crisp on the edge only and not crisp to the center like last week. She attempted to explain last week was heavier traffic, maybe there was more cheese last week, though I recall from discussion here that less cheese (and toppings) help keep a crust crisp.

I later the met an owner who asked how I liked the pizza. I explained this was my second visit in a week with the same order: mushrooms, sausage and onion, but two different pizzas arrived. She began explaining I can order extra crisp, perhaps reduce the cheese and ask for cornmeal on the bottom for a crisper crust.

I reminded her I had not made any special requests from one week to the other, but received two different pizzas. I asked if the pizza being crisp to the center was a mistake last week or was the crisp edge and softer center the norm. She said it should be crisp to the center with a normal order. She wondered if one of her ovens was on the fritz. She said she would need to get someone in to inspect her ovens, because they should both be a uniform 550 degrees.

trpt2345, I suspect you and I received pizzas not quite up to their norm. Last weeks pizza has been playing in mind more than I care to admit. The crispness and overall pizza quality was quite spectacular. Today's pizza would not have begged for a return trip as quickly as I made it.

I suggest returning another time, I know I will. I want last week;s pizza something bad and will get it come hell or high water. :D

The owner and staff are very nice people. I plan to return sooner rather than later.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #35 - April 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
    Post #35 - April 5th, 2010, 9:28 am Post #35 - April 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
    I've posted about this before, but in my 3-4 times I went to Wells Brothers, they were not consistent. The first time was perfection, and the others could not quite reach that level. I've had some grisly sausage on two occasions (big turn off), and one time my pizza wasn't really cooked properly. Some of my friends and family thought this place wasn't all I hyped it up to be and I was a bit embarrassed for dragging them up there. But I know how good it can be, so I still have high expectations!
  • Post #36 - April 25th, 2010, 9:45 am
    Post #36 - April 25th, 2010, 9:45 am Post #36 - April 25th, 2010, 9:45 am
    stopped at well's bro. on the way home from appelton last night.
    got a large sausage to go, the place was packed so iwas glad i called ahead 8)

eat half of it on the road , just outstanding
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #37 - April 25th, 2010, 6:36 pm
    Post #37 - April 25th, 2010, 6:36 pm Post #37 - April 25th, 2010, 6:36 pm
    Hi,

I was at Wells Brothers on Friday after Smelt Fest in Highland Park was cancelled.

Friday night was the first time I saw three off-duty Racine policemen patrolling the parking lot. My prior visits during the day, I didn't see any visible security.

When we ordered our pizza, I explained to the waitress our prior experience of crisp edges and soft center. She noted on our order to make it extra crisp. It arrived crisp throughout as requested.

A quick stop to Woodman's for milk completed the evening.

Regards,
  • Post #38 - April 26th, 2010, 2:18 pm
    Post #38 - April 26th, 2010, 2:18 pm Post #38 - April 26th, 2010, 2:18 pm
    there where cops out front when i stopped also .
    but pizza was tops. :mrgreen:
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #39 - April 26th, 2010, 2:31 pm
    Post #39 - April 26th, 2010, 2:31 pm Post #39 - April 26th, 2010, 2:31 pm
    A cop was outside looking around as I left after an afternoon stop a week or two ago.

Loved the pizza, the place, and the people ... buena onda.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #40 - May 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
    Post #40 - May 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am Post #40 - May 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
    I made my first visit to Wells Brothers recently and really enjoyed it.

Wells Brothers - 2148 Mead Street, Racine, WI

I'm not sure I'm quite as in love with the pizza as some others here but it's thoroughly enjoyable. We ordered a "super" (16") sausage, onion and hot giardeniera; extra crispy . . .

16" Sausage, Onion and Hot Giardeniera

Side View

Bottom View

It was indeed very crispy and very tasty. I thought all the components were excellent and worked together well. The crust is very light, crispy and cracker-like and it reminded me a bit of Zaffiro's in Milwaukee but I liked what was above the crust much better at Wells Brothers. My only quibble -- and it's strictly a matter of personal preference -- is the crust might not be quite substantial enough to completely scratch my itch. But it's a fairly unique style and it's executed with precision.

Before the pizza, we had a very tasty basket of fried eggplant, green beans and cheese curds, which was served with house-made marinara sauce and ranch dressing . . .

Basket of fried goodies -- cheese curds, eggplant and green beans

I'd love to return and try a pizza with just some meat -- maybe pepperoni or sausage. In any case, I'm sure I'll be heading back soon enough because I can already tell there will come a day (probably several) when I'll have a craving for this exact pizza.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #41 - September 16th, 2010, 7:24 pm
    Post #41 - September 16th, 2010, 7:24 pm Post #41 - September 16th, 2010, 7:24 pm
    LTH,

Bride and I were in Milwaukee for a memorial and stopped at Wells Brothers and Tenuta's on the way back. Her first time at Wells, count Ellen a fan.

Wells Brother's Pizza, mid-afternoon

Crust was perfect for this crisp loving fellow.

As typical at Wells easy friendly conversation flowed, both with the staff and other customers, a few of which came in right after I snapped the picture above.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #42 - September 21st, 2010, 7:44 pm
    Post #42 - September 21st, 2010, 7:44 pm Post #42 - September 21st, 2010, 7:44 pm
    I've long been a fan of Vito & Nick's, my favorite tavern-style pizza in Chicago. It pains me to say it but Wells Bros is clearly superior, especially since V&N developed consistency problems in the past few years. In three visits to Wells I haven't had anything other than a perfectly executed pizza.

The pizza is well balanced, starting with the crust. Quite thin, but not a lifeless cracker, it has a lightness and a flaky crunch unlike most tavern-style crusts. Sauce is well spiced but not sweet, sausage is robust but not overpowering and cheese is judiciously applied. I've only ordered the sausage and cheese pie. It seems like a pizza that could be easily overwhelmed by too many toppings.

As far as the rest of the menu is concerned, I haven't strayed too far from pizza. I believe their soups are made in house. At least this beer-cheese soup tasted like it.

We also tried a calzone which wasn't awful but I can confidently say their pizza is much better.

But don't overlook the salad.

The antipasto salad ($4.50 first person, $2.95 each additional), liberally coated with "Rosa's own homemade Italian dressing," is a good accompaniment to the pizza. It's a hearty old-fashioned salad, with generous amounts of cheese and pepperoni. This giant bowl is supposedly a serving for three. At Wells, the pizza is somewhat light and insubstantial so you need to fill up on the salad!

Da Beef wrote:Anyplace serving tavern style thin since 1921 is going to get a visit from me, I don't care where it is.

Just a small correction: while it's true Wells Bros has been in business since 1921, they began serving pizza only in the early 1950s (this according to a manager). Finding a Midwestern pizzeria operating since 1921 would be quite remarkable.

Wells Bros
    2148 Mead St
    Racine WI
    262-632-4408
    Tue-Sat 11am-last order at 8:45pm
  • Post #43 - May 23rd, 2011, 3:03 pm
    Post #43 - May 23rd, 2011, 3:03 pm Post #43 - May 23rd, 2011, 3:03 pm
    We had some business up in Wheeling on Saturday, no brainer, a quick cruise up to Racine was in the cards.

Wells Brothers was the main draw, and an early reservation was easily grabbed up. Friendly service, easy to find, easy parking. Patrolled parking lot across the street from Wells Bros.

This pizza was fantastic..., largest size, sausage & garlic, well done. As good, and perhaps better than the best pizza I have had @ Vito & Nicks(a pizza @ Lemont bowling alley location as a matter of fact). Crisp crust, char on the edges, great sausage, etc.

Lake perch dinner was pretty good as well.

We also hit Kewpees & Bendtsen's for some burgers and a kringle before hitting Wells Bros.

Racine looks like a cool town, id like to check out some more places.
  • Post #44 - May 25th, 2011, 10:10 pm
    Post #44 - May 25th, 2011, 10:10 pm Post #44 - May 25th, 2011, 10:10 pm
    If you go a few blocks north on the same street that Wells Brothers is located, you'll run into the Johnson Wax headquarters, the famous Frank Lloyd Wright building. Still happening after all these years.
    trpt2345
  • Post #45 - May 29th, 2011, 5:13 am
    Post #45 - May 29th, 2011, 5:13 am Post #45 - May 29th, 2011, 5:13 am
    Wells Brothers is closed for the Memorial Day weekend. They resume regular hours on Tuesday. This has been a public service announcement.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #46 - August 5th, 2011, 10:53 pm
    Post #46 - August 5th, 2011, 10:53 pm Post #46 - August 5th, 2011, 10:53 pm
    HI,

Rather than fight the traffic into Chicago, I opted this evening to head north to Racine. Antipasti salad followed by a mushroom, garlic and sausage pizza cooked crisp. The charred edges and crisp bottom stayed firm to the very last bite.

I learned they close tonight for their summer shutdown and will reopen on August 23rd.

Along Sheridan Road in Kenosha, gas was priced as low as $3.49 a gallon (this station ran out of fuel) with most around $3.59. Unfortunately, I bought at $3.72 thinking I made out like a bandit. Instead I was kicking myself for not waiting to get the full scene.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #47 - August 15th, 2011, 2:04 pm
    Post #47 - August 15th, 2011, 2:04 pm Post #47 - August 15th, 2011, 2:04 pm
    Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd mention that I visited the other supposedly great pizza joint in Racine - Mike and Angelo's. My uncle and I got there around 8:00 last Thursday night and it was almost empty, though it's a decent sized place. We both ordered half sausage/half cheese pizzas. We both though the sausage itself was very good, similar to Wells Brothers. The pizzas were very thin and crisp, no cornmeal on the bottom. I would probably say it was not as good as Wells Brothers, but a very good alternate in Racine. We saw a couple of awards on the wall that had them being voted the best pizza in Racine County within the last few years. Another decent pizza joint in Wisconsin to add to the list.

Mike and Angelo's Italian Restaurant
    6214 Washington Ave (Hwy 20)
    Racine WI 53406
    (262) 886-1906
    http://mikeandangelos.com/
  • Post #48 - August 17th, 2011, 8:40 am
    Post #48 - August 17th, 2011, 8:40 am Post #48 - August 17th, 2011, 8:40 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I learned they close tonight for their summer shutdown and will reopen on August 23rd.

thanks for this tidbit, saved me a trip.

I took a couple of buds out to Wells Brothers last month, we all thought the pizza was still top notch, I had concerns after reading some of the consistency posts above.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #49 - August 17th, 2011, 7:10 pm
    Post #49 - August 17th, 2011, 7:10 pm Post #49 - August 17th, 2011, 7:10 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd mention that I visited the other supposedly great pizza joint in Racine - Mike and Angelo's. My uncle and I got there around 8:00 last Thursday night and it was almost empty, though it's a decent sized place. We both ordered half sausage/half cheese pizzas. We both though the sausage itself was very good, similar to Wells Brothers. The pizzas were very thin and crisp, no cornmeal on the bottom. I would probably say it was not as good as Wells Brothers, but a very good alternate in Racine. We saw a couple of awards on the wall that had them being voted the best pizza in Racine County within the last few years. Another decent pizza joint in Wisconsin to add to the list.

Mike and Angelo's Italian Restaurant
    6214 Washington Ave (Hwy 20)
    Racine WI 53406
    (262) 886-1906
    http://mikeandangelos.com/

My vote goes to Mike and Angelo's(always order a crispy crust).
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #50 - March 30th, 2012, 8:46 am
    Post #50 - March 30th, 2012, 8:46 am Post #50 - March 30th, 2012, 8:46 am
    On the way up to the Dells last weekend, the kid and I made our first visit to Wells.
    The charred-on-the-edges crust was a new one on the kid, but I redirected him to the middle of the pizza and he was happy.
    To be honest, this is not my favorite style, but I have to say our pizza was extremely well executed. The crispy bottom crust added some flavor complexity that stayed with me down the road. The kid wanted mushrooms and black olives, and I made it plain cheese on the other half. The cheese was nicely caramelized.
    To those interested in making a similar detour off the interstate, be aware that this place is all the way down to the lake, a good 20 minutes from I 94 when traffic is heavy.
    But we thought it was worth the effort. Good to know that a place with a long family tradition is still thriving.
  • Post #51 - April 2nd, 2012, 9:21 am
    Post #51 - April 2nd, 2012, 9:21 am Post #51 - April 2nd, 2012, 9:21 am
    Great pizza and its about a20 min drive for us.
    It's adifferent style than Chicago deep dish and I don't have to deal with Burt!
    As posted, their is always law enforcement in attendance but the area is actually a lot safer than a few areas in Chicago i usually avoid but now that Wisconsin has Concealed Carry, I have less trepidation with my SIG P229 on my person. Downside is that you can't drink while carrying.
    One of the best pizza spots anywhere in this country. You can actually walk in without a reservation but to be sure, you should make one!-Dick
  • Post #52 - July 23rd, 2013, 5:25 pm
    Post #52 - July 23rd, 2013, 5:25 pm Post #52 - July 23rd, 2013, 5:25 pm
    As a public service announcement - they are closed for their "summer shutdown" until August 6th.

Don't ask me how I found out about this. It will just make me more aggravated. :D
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #53 - July 25th, 2013, 7:51 am
    Post #53 - July 25th, 2013, 7:51 am Post #53 - July 25th, 2013, 7:51 am
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wells-Br ... 9254855241
  • Post #54 - November 23rd, 2013, 11:23 am
    Post #54 - November 23rd, 2013, 11:23 am Post #54 - November 23rd, 2013, 11:23 am
    Well's will be closed this weekend (fri and sat) to observe the passing of Tony Wells.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/journaltimes/obituary.aspx?n=anthony-paul-tony-wells-peanuts&pid=168115810&fhid=12103

G Wiv wrote:
    stevez wrote:(L) Guy Wells 85, (R) Tony Wells 82. Second generation owners

• Post #55 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:27 am
    Post #55 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:27 am Post #55 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:27 am
    PSA: per their Facebook post, Wells Bothers will be closed July 4th-7th for the holiday weekend and then again July 18th--August 4th (re-opening 8/5) for their summer break.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #56 - July 18th, 2014, 4:36 pm
    Post #56 - July 18th, 2014, 4:36 pm Post #56 - July 18th, 2014, 4:36 pm
    Wells Brothers on vacation shutdown reopening on Tuesday, August 5th.
    Cathy2

• Post #57 - March 7th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    Post #57 - March 7th, 2015, 7:05 pm Post #57 - March 7th, 2015, 7:05 pm

A group of us drove up to Wells Brothers for lunch today. There were nine of us, so we had a chance to try a few different pizzas. We started off with an Antipasto Salad. We ordered salad for three, and it was big enough to feed the entire table.

Wells Brothers Antipasto Salad

It was a decent salad, perfectly in keeping with the aesthetic of Wells Brothers. It was almost entirely iceberg lettuce, pizza topping style pepperoni and shredded mozzarella...and tasty as hell. The house dressing was good, if a little sweet.

Initially, we ordered three different pizzas. They were all quite good, but comparing them to previous visits, they weren't quite as crispy as in the past. We later ordered a 4th pizza and this one came out much more like what I remembered. When we ordered, they were pretty swamped. Besides our table, there were two or three other large parties ordering at the same time. I guess I can chalk the difference up to the kitchen being slammed and trying to get the pizzas out ASAP. It was a small difference, and not one that would cause me to think any less of Wells Brothers.

Sausage and Green Pepper Pizza

Pepperoni Pizza

Sausage and Hot Giardiniera Pizza

The sausage and giardiniera was a big hit and we ended up ordering another one. The second one was a little more well done, to the point where I would call it perfect.

Of course, being self-respecting LTHers, we had to sample the homemade desserts.

Wells Brothers Chocolate-Peanut Butter Dessert

Dave148 (to waitress): Can you explain the chocolate peanut better dessert?
    Waitress: Well, it's got some chocolate and then peanut butter and it kind of...well..it's a dessert.

I loved that exchange, we had to order it. I thought it was kind of like a recipe one might find in a 50's Woman's magazine. Very retro.

Wells Brothers Tiramasu

Wells Brothers Coconut Cream Pie

This was the real winner for me. A light crust and a filling just chock-a-block with coconut. The custard wasn't overwhelming and it wasn't too sweet, either. I'd order this again.

I'll be interested to hear what my dining companions have to say about their visit to Wells Brothers. Quite a few of them were making their maiden voyage.

Wells Brothers Pizza
    2148 Mead St
    Racine, WI 53403
    (262) 632-4408
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #58 - March 8th, 2015, 12:08 am
    Post #58 - March 8th, 2015, 12:08 am Post #58 - March 8th, 2015, 12:08 am
    I love Wells Brothers but that salad reminds me a little of this classic bit from Family Guy . . .

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #59 - March 8th, 2015, 6:27 am
    Post #59 - March 8th, 2015, 6:27 am Post #59 - March 8th, 2015, 6:27 am
    The Well's thin crust pizza is best eaten hot & crispy right from the oven.
    I tell the server to deliver our pizza the moment it comes out of the oven.
    If not hot, you can ask to reheat.
    The best Well's pizza is a simple basil and cheese.
    Best deal is $20 Tuesday where $20 buys you a one topping pizza, breadsticks or french fires(Our preference), a small ice bucket of six shorty beers, or soda or bottle of wine. Never tried the wine, go with Miller Highlife shorties.
    There is usually a Racine Law Enforcement Officer parked right outside.
    Make a reservation for your dining.
    Best pizza in Wisconsin or Illinois!-Dick
  • Post #60 - March 8th, 2015, 7:03 am
    Post #60 - March 8th, 2015, 7:03 am Post #60 - March 8th, 2015, 7:03 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I love Wells Brothers but that salad reminds me a little of this classic bit from Family Guy . . .

=R=

LOL! "perfectly in keeping with the aesthetic of Wells Brothers"
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles