LTH Home

Tasty City: Pig Guts and Peach Mayo

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Tasty City: Pig Guts and Peach Mayo

Post #1 - July 2nd, 2010, 10:56 pm
    Post #1 - July 2nd, 2010, 10:56 pm Post #1 - July 2nd, 2010, 10:56 pm

Sometimes we go to these new wave Hong Kong-ish joints with huge menus (Chi Café, Sweet Station) and think, “Let’s just eat some unusual stuff.” The rationale here is that we’re not so much interested in authenticity (which would probably be hoping for too much anyway) but rather novelty, unusual flavor combos, cheap thrills.

We started with Crispy Intestine with Sweet Sauce. Now, The Wife and I have been sporadically munching pig guts since the mid-70’s, and never much liked them, but she pronounced these the best chitterlings she’d ever eaten. They were good: the crispiness makes a big difference, not only in texture but in flavor, it seems. The sweet sauce was avoidable though not unpleasant.

Red-lining on the odd-o-meter were the ribs with peach mayo. Looking for all the world like a flesh sundae, this was a plate of boneless rib meat (again, crispy) covered with what looked like lemon pudding; it was surprisingly. if not shockingly, kind of tasty (but like many items we ordered, quite sweet). I'd hesitate to actually recommend this dish to anyone (its appearances is repellent), but it was unusual, and that was pretty much the guiding principle in our ordering strategy.

The place was packed with a mix of hipsters and families…and I spotted several other tables with the ribs, so I’m guessing we hit on a local fav.

When we left, the owner gave us an umbrella, so that was nice, too.

Tasty City
    2024 S. Wentworth
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #2 - July 3rd, 2010, 10:22 pm
    Post #2 - July 3rd, 2010, 10:22 pm Post #2 - July 3rd, 2010, 10:22 pm
    Thanks for the review, David--walked by this place the other night on the way to Tao Ran Ju.

It's on the far east side of the mall, for those wondering.

That peach mayo looks car-crash-can't-turn-away interesting, to say the least.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more