LTH Home

Maker's Mark 46

Maker's Mark 46
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Maker's Mark 46

Post #1 - July 16th, 2010, 6:29 am
    Post #1 - July 16th, 2010, 6:29 am Post #1 - July 16th, 2010, 6:29 am
    As I'm sure some of you know, Maker's Mark is releasing their first new product in about half a century, Maker's Mark 46. While I haven't actually seen it around town yet, the early reviews are good:

Maker’s 46 (94 proof) – More yellow brown / amber in color than Maker’s Mark, Maker’s 46 looks different in the glass. The nose is infinitely more complex with notes of butterscotch, vanilla bean, baked apple, bran cereal and huge maple syrup. The entry is very smooth with a fantastic mouth feel. The taste is huge cinnamon with confectioner’s sugar, bran cereal, maple and undertones of caramel, cardboard, and sweet oak. The finish is longer and much sweeter than Maker’s Mark and cleans up leaving your mouth very cool. While Maker’s 46 is unique, it still has parity of taste with Maker’s Mark as they’ve retained many of the qualities that have made Maker’s Mark so successful. Maker’s 46 builds on the excellent foundation of Maker’s Mark and represents a big step forward. We absolutely enjoyed Maker’s 46 even more than Maker’s Mark and expect it to do great things in the marketplace.
    Link to review

I've missed a few tastings of it around town, but there is another one tomorrow (7/17) at Delilah's that I am going to try and make it to:

4pm: Delilah's (4-6pm)
    2771 N Lincoln Ave, btw Diversey and Kenmore; 773.472.2771
    The punk 'n whiskey institution is holding a special unveiling of Maker's 46, the first new bourbon MM's released in more than 50 years, which boasts a slightly higher proof and's aged in oak for a few months longer to achieve notes of caramel and spice, but not Caramel Spice, cause Baby Spice is already sweet enough!

While I am not a huge Bourbon guy, I do want to try this; has anyone tasted it?

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #2 - July 16th, 2010, 8:31 am
    Post #2 - July 16th, 2010, 8:31 am Post #2 - July 16th, 2010, 8:31 am
    Doesn't appeal to me, but I noticed it was available at Big Star last week.
  • Post #3 - July 16th, 2010, 9:54 am
    Post #3 - July 16th, 2010, 9:54 am Post #3 - July 16th, 2010, 9:54 am
    kl1191 wrote:Doesn't appeal to me, but I noticed it was available at Big Star last week.

Thanks, that is even easier for me since I was planning on hitting Big Star tomorrow anyway. I might still do Delilah's anyway but it is good to have a backup place that is closer to home.

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

• Post #4 - July 16th, 2010, 10:53 am
    Post #4 - July 16th, 2010, 10:53 am Post #4 - July 16th, 2010, 10:53 am
    kl1191 wrote:Doesn't appeal to me, but I noticed it was available at Big Star last week.

Had it there earlier this week and found it no more enjoyable than the standard issue Maker's, which I do not care for. I think this is far more about marketing and occupying additional shelf space than about bringing anything new or distinctive to the table.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #5 - July 19th, 2010, 8:39 am
    Post #5 - July 19th, 2010, 8:39 am Post #5 - July 19th, 2010, 8:39 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Had it there earlier this week and found it no more enjoyable than the standard issue Maker's, which I do not care for. I think this is far more about marketing and occupying additional shelf space than about bringing anything new or distinctive to the table.

=R=

I did finally get around to trying the 46 yesterday as a after lunch, before shake, drink at Big Star, and my initial thoughts are pretty positive. It seemed a little harsh neat, but opened up pretty well with a little water. While I will postpone any deeper thoughts until I can try the original (which I don't think I've had in fiver years) side-by-side with it, I will definitely try it again, and sooner rather than later.

SSDD

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more