LTH Home

Favorite REALLY spicy dish.

Favorite REALLY spicy dish.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Favorite REALLY spicy dish.

Post #1 - September 30th, 2010, 6:16 pm
    Post #1 - September 30th, 2010, 6:16 pm Post #1 - September 30th, 2010, 6:16 pm
    I'm in need of some input here. It turns out the restaurant that serves my favorite seriously spicy dish is closing. So I'm looking for some new ones. I'm talking about a plate that really brings the heat, but is also flavorful... not some gimmicky, have to sign a waiver, pain-maker. For the record, it's the Mi Tierra in Berwyn at Harlem and 22nd that's closing, and along with it, goes their fabulous Super Diablo Plate (thin sliced ribeye simmered in an incredible arbol chile sauce). Their other location in the city will stay open, but that's not all that easy for me to get at.

So let 'er rip, guys. Ethnicity doesn't matter, though I've never been big on Indian food (strange for a spicy food lover, right?)

Thanks!

Dig
  • Post #2 - October 1st, 2010, 4:17 am
    Post #2 - October 1st, 2010, 4:17 am Post #2 - October 1st, 2010, 4:17 am
    Nigerian pepper soup, especially the version served at Qaato, has been known to produce more than a few beads of persperation upon my upper lip.

Qaato Restaurant
    7118 N. Clark St.
    Chicago, IL, 60626
    (773) 465-6255
  • Post #3 - October 1st, 2010, 6:36 am
    Post #3 - October 1st, 2010, 6:36 am Post #3 - October 1st, 2010, 6:36 am
    I may be something of a spice neophyte, but I am told that the papaya salad at TAC Quick which has caused me such delicious suffering is not an easy chow for anyone. I am especially fond of the salted crab version, available on the Thai menu. I always have to order this with a side of plain rice and a few extra handkerchiefs to mop my face.

TAC Quick
    3930 N Sheridan Rd
    Chicago, IL 60613
    (773) 327-5253
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #4 - October 1st, 2010, 6:51 am
    Post #4 - October 1st, 2010, 6:51 am Post #4 - October 1st, 2010, 6:51 am
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:I may be something of a spice neophyte, but I am told that the papaya salad at TAC Quick which has caused me such delicious suffering is not an easy chow for anyone. I am especially fond of the salted crab version, available on the Thai menu. I always have to order this with a side of plain rice and a few extra handkerchiefs to mop my face.

TAC Quick
    3930 N Sheridan Rd
    Chicago, IL 60613
    (773) 327-5253

That's a great spicy dish and about at the top of my enjoyability scale, too much spicier and enjoying or tasting other flavors becomes difficult.

The habanero salsa Fonda del Mar used to serve with their pibil was some grade A spicy food as well and is certainly easy enough to make at home.
  • Post #5 - October 1st, 2010, 7:35 am
    Post #5 - October 1st, 2010, 7:35 am Post #5 - October 1st, 2010, 7:35 am
    Ruby of Siam in Skokie

Tom Yum soup.

TOM YUM (Shrimp or Squid) - Small Size <Serves 1-2>

Hot and sour soup with shrimp or squid, lemongrass, straw mushroom and Thai hot peppers.

Skokie: 9240 Skokie Blvd, Tel. 847-675-7008 Fax 847-675-7009
  • Post #6 - October 1st, 2010, 8:17 am
    Post #6 - October 1st, 2010, 8:17 am Post #6 - October 1st, 2010, 8:17 am
    Mr. Pie loves Dr. K’s Cure All Noodle Soup at Amitabul. He swears that the leftovers get spicier as they sit in the fridge. You may think the prices are high until you realize there's enough for two days.
    6207 N. Milwaukee
    http://www.amitabulvegan.com/
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #7 - October 1st, 2010, 8:32 am
    Post #7 - October 1st, 2010, 8:32 am Post #7 - October 1st, 2010, 8:32 am
    I just made my first visit to Mi Tierra in August and we were all impressed that it was a step up from standard Mexican for the area.

A few options close to Mi Tierra that I've been known to enjoy for bringin the heat, PLUS good flavor:

When the stars line up, steak tacos, and either of the salsas at Zacatacos on Cermak around Lobard, I think. E of Mi Tierra on the N side of the road. WHEN THE STARS LINE UP, their salsa verde is screaming hot, and their salsa de chile de arbol is earthy smoky and sizzlin as well. WHEN THE STARS LINE UP, it's such a simple, perfect, dose of carbs, meat, and heat, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. They do not use genetically modified peppers that have the exact same Scoville Units, so, the heat levels vary from batch to batch.

Brookfield: Fine Thai on Ogden. Red or Green Curry. This place makes my favorite red or green in the immediate area. They don't use the palm sugar, so both are savory only, and not sweet (my preference for coconut milk curries.) The green usually packs a bigger punch of heat, but I prefer the red's flavor, so I ask for red with amped up heat. Last time I ordered the green, the heat was like a brick wall, nothing popped, it was just one note heat (it was sizzlin hot, mind you,) but the flavor was just not as good as their red.

Bodhi Thai on Roosevelt in Berwyn does a decent beef salad. I've not had anything else from them that packed a decent chile punch staright off of the menu, but that doesn't mean they can't deliver.

On the cheap, I'm not sure of where the closest Jimenez with a cafeteria is around here, but when I'm at work in Northbrook,
    I LOOOOOOVE Jimenez's version of Bistec in Chile De Arbol. It's not (normally) blisteringly hot, although it CAN BE, but it packs enough to put a bead of sweat on yer nose / forhead. There's a Jimenez on Lake Street in Melrose Park, not sure they have the cafe. I do know that the Jimenez on Cicero does not. The chuletas en salsa verde is another favorite of mine at the northbrook location.

None of these are gonna blow your head off, but I don't like heat without flavor. Well, ok, sometimes I do, but I like flavor with my heat for the most part.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #8 - October 1st, 2010, 9:37 am
    Post #8 - October 1st, 2010, 9:37 am Post #8 - October 1st, 2010, 9:37 am
    Easy one for me:
    Filete Arriero -8 oz steak covered with arriero sauce, lemon, garlic and jalapeno, fresh homemade tortillas.

La Condesa
    1001 N. Ashland Ave
    Chicago, IL

2908 W 59th St
    Chicago, IL 60629-2225
    (773) 737-2700
  • Post #9 - October 1st, 2010, 10:13 am
    Post #9 - October 1st, 2010, 10:13 am Post #9 - October 1st, 2010, 10:13 am
    nicinchic wrote:...arriero sauce

I'm totally clueless. Please describe if you can.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #10 - October 1st, 2010, 1:35 pm
    Post #10 - October 1st, 2010, 1:35 pm Post #10 - October 1st, 2010, 1:35 pm
    The airerro sauce as described on the website exactly. The steak is a fillet that is pounded out and then soaked in lemon juice garlic and topped with jalapeno peppers, finely chopped.

crappy phone pic, but you get the idea.
  • Post #11 - October 1st, 2010, 6:02 pm
    Post #11 - October 1st, 2010, 6:02 pm Post #11 - October 1st, 2010, 6:02 pm
    nicinchic wrote:2908 W 59th St
    Chicago, IL 60629-2225
    (773) 737-2700

The filete arriero sounded good so today I stopped by the Gage Park branch of La Condesa. Unfortunately the restaurant is closed (it's now Restaurante 5 Estrellas). I think La Condesa in Pilsen has closed too.

La Condesa (closed)
    2908 W 59th St
    Chicago

La Condesa (closed)
    2230 S Ashland Av
    Chicago
  • Post #12 - October 1st, 2010, 6:19 pm
    Post #12 - October 1st, 2010, 6:19 pm Post #12 - October 1st, 2010, 6:19 pm
    Octopus homestyle in the clay pot at Double Li. Multiple dimensions of spicy.
  • Post #13 - October 1st, 2010, 6:56 pm
    Post #13 - October 1st, 2010, 6:56 pm Post #13 - October 1st, 2010, 6:56 pm
    Santander wrote:Octopus homestyle in the clay pot at Double Li. Multiple dimensions of spicy.

Which reminds me of the baby Octopi in hot sauce at Las Cazuelas (AKA "pulpitos en salsa picante"). Much like Santander's description of a similar dish at double li, the sauce has "multiple-dimensions" of spicy. The salsa is very hot, yet you can still pick out other flavors. Plus, for an added treat, the little octopi partially fill up with the sauce, so when you bite them, they squirt the spicy hot liquid down your throat. The dish is a special, but can usually be made by request.

La Cazuela
    6922 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL 60626
    (773) 338-5425
  • Post #14 - October 2nd, 2010, 5:42 pm
    Post #14 - October 2nd, 2010, 5:42 pm Post #14 - October 2nd, 2010, 5:42 pm
    Oh man, so sorry Renee G. The one on N. Ashland is definitely open. That airerro steak is craveable. I often have to weigh the pros and cons of eating it.
  • Post #15 - October 2nd, 2010, 9:37 pm
    Post #15 - October 2nd, 2010, 9:37 pm Post #15 - October 2nd, 2010, 9:37 pm
    Anything with Bari Foods Super-Hot Giardiniera.
  • Post #16 - October 2nd, 2010, 11:23 pm
    Post #16 - October 2nd, 2010, 11:23 pm Post #16 - October 2nd, 2010, 11:23 pm
    nicinchic wrote:Oh man, so sorry Renee G. The one on N. Ashland is definitely open. That airerro steak is craveable. I often have to weigh the pros and cons of eating it.

No problem, I appreciate you mentioning the dish in the first place. Instead of having filete arriero I had a pleasant time wandering around 59th Street, something I hadn't done in a while (a disappointing slice from Geneo's Pizza, an old place I'd long wanted to try, hardly spoiled the afternoon). One of these days I'll get to La Condesa on Ashland to try the filete. I'm wondering if filete arriero is unique to La Condesa or is it available elsewhere in Chicago? In any case it sounds interesting, and tasty too.

As for spicy food suggestions, has anyone been to Thai Aree recently? I haven't been for ages but remember it being quite good and able to deliver the heat like few other restaurants. My suggestion is to test the waters by ordering one of the larbs "Thai hot." If that sits well with you, tell Eddie you'd like the rest of your dishes even hotter. As I recall, he'll oblige.

Thai Aree
    3592 N Milwaukee Av
    Chicago
    773-725-6751
  • Post #17 - October 3rd, 2010, 6:32 am
    Post #17 - October 3rd, 2010, 6:32 am Post #17 - October 3rd, 2010, 6:32 am
    Rene G wrote:As for spicy food suggestions, has anyone been to Thai Aree recently? I haven't been for ages but remember it being quite good and able to deliver the heat like few other restaurants. My suggestion is to test the waters by ordering one of the larbs "Thai hot." If that sits well with you, tell Eddie you'd like the rest of your dishes even hotter. As I recall, he'll oblige.

This is a good suggestion. It's been a couple of years at least since I've been to Thai Aree, but as of my last visit Eddie was no longer in the picture. His wife (or presumably ex-wife) was running the place without him.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #18 - October 4th, 2010, 3:48 pm
    Post #18 - October 4th, 2010, 3:48 pm Post #18 - October 4th, 2010, 3:48 pm
    Digamus wrote:For the record, it's the Mi Tierra in Berwyn at Harlem and 22nd that's closing, and along with it, goes their fabulous Super Diablo Plate (thin sliced ribeye simmered in an incredible arbol chile sauce).
    Dig

Based upon your stated dish and location it's not too far to go to GNR winner Lq Quebrada and try their Bistek en Chile Arbol (or anything else, really, that I'm sure you can ask to have prepared in that manner). It's good AND spicy with terrific beans and tortillas to boot.

La Quebrada
    4859 W Roosevelt Rd
    Cicero
    (708) 780-6976
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #19 - October 4th, 2010, 5:58 pm
    Post #19 - October 4th, 2010, 5:58 pm Post #19 - October 4th, 2010, 5:58 pm
    If you'd like to learn how to make it yourself, on October 16 the Wooden Spoon in Andersonville is having a class called "Mucho Caliente". (I know, it should be Muy Picante, but that's what they're calling it.)
  • Post #20 - October 5th, 2010, 8:30 am
    Post #20 - October 5th, 2010, 8:30 am Post #20 - October 5th, 2010, 8:30 am
    I was recently reminded of how much I've enjoyed Great Sea's wings. The ideal heat for me--with a pretty high tolerance--is between 5x-7x, but you could also get a group together, like LTHers did a year and a half ago, and find out the best level for you.

Great Sea
    3254 W. Lawrence Ave.
    Chicago, IL
    773-478-9129
  • Post #21 - October 5th, 2010, 8:52 am
    Post #21 - October 5th, 2010, 8:52 am Post #21 - October 5th, 2010, 8:52 am
    I just remembered one that would fall into the category of REALLY spicy.
    The "New" Sweet / Spicy fried chicken at the Korean fried chicken stand at H Mart in Niles. It was a challenge for me. Not great flavor, but good. Definitely REALLY spicy, but the chicken was fried really nicely. The counter lady asked me a few times if I was sure I wanted it, and said it was too hot for her. They served it with two pairs of gloves for us. The wife tapped out pretty quickly, but I perservered on (mostly to save face with the counterlady so I wouldn't appear to be a wimp.) I was expecting a sweet/hot kinda food court fried chicken. No, this stuff was blazin. Someone mentioned in a diff thread they did not find it too hot. I wonder if they amped it up because I gave them a look, and got a little mouthy when they asked "are you sure you want it, it's really hot?"
    That kinda thing irks me because normally, I have never experienced anything "too hot." And just because I'm not of a certain ethnic group, doesn't mean I don't like spicy things - even though I'm positive a lot of ethnic restos get food returned as "too spicy," and they are just warning ppl before serving them.

- sorry for ramblin.
    Go, eat, shop, then get ice cream at Village Creamery to cool you down.
  • Post #22 - October 5th, 2010, 9:59 am
    Post #22 - October 5th, 2010, 9:59 am Post #22 - October 5th, 2010, 9:59 am
    nsxtasy wrote:If you'd like to learn how to make it yourself, on October 16 the Wooden Spoon in Andersonville is having a class called "Mucho Caliente". (I know, it should be Muy Picante, but that's what they're calling it.)

Sure, I want to pay for instruction on Mexican cooking from from folks who got something so simple so wrong.
  • Post #23 - October 5th, 2010, 2:06 pm
    Post #23 - October 5th, 2010, 2:06 pm Post #23 - October 5th, 2010, 2:06 pm
    JeffB wrote:
    nsxtasy wrote:If you'd like to learn how to make it yourself, on October 16 the Wooden Spoon in Andersonville is having a class called "Mucho Caliente". (I know, it should be Muy Picante, but that's what they're calling it.)

Sure, I want to pay for instruction on Mexican cooking from from folks who got something so simple so wrong.

I emailed them about this and got a reply saying that it was intentional silliness. Emailer says they were trying to come up with memorable and even comical names, and thought this would stick.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #24 - October 5th, 2010, 2:49 pm
    Post #24 - October 5th, 2010, 2:49 pm Post #24 - October 5th, 2010, 2:49 pm
    As someone who attempts, but fails, to be funny in writing from time to time, I now feel somewhat better about my schtick. Thx Kenny -- and sorry I missed the joke, El Spoono Madera.
  • Post #25 - October 6th, 2010, 2:55 pm
    Post #25 - October 6th, 2010, 2:55 pm Post #25 - October 6th, 2010, 2:55 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Rene G wrote:As for spicy food suggestions, has anyone been to Thai Aree recently? I haven't been for ages but remember it being quite good and able to deliver the heat like few other restaurants. My suggestion is to test the waters by ordering one of the larbs "Thai hot." If that sits well with you, tell Eddie you'd like the rest of your dishes even hotter. As I recall, he'll oblige.

This is a good suggestion. It's been a couple of years at least since I've been to Thai Aree, but as of my last visit Eddie was no longer in the picture. His wife (or presumably ex-wife) was running the place without him.

Thai Aree is still run by Ed and his wife Anne. Rene is correct about his "Thai Hot" comments.
    Ed is always accommodating with a little dish of red and green thai peppers that will get the endorphins going.
    Often after the meal, Ed will serve watermelon slices.
    If you attended the LTH picnic, TKents' pepper stuffed in watermelon (The Spicy Gallagher) was
    concocted at Thai Aree.

Thai Aree
    3592 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    773-725-6751
  • Post #26 - October 6th, 2010, 3:11 pm
    Post #26 - October 6th, 2010, 3:11 pm Post #26 - October 6th, 2010, 3:11 pm
    The Berwyn Mi Tierra is our favorite Mex joint. I'm hoping to hear that they are re-opening somewhere close. They are closing because Berwyn has bought up the block they are on for a redevelopment project.
  • Post #27 - October 6th, 2010, 4:13 pm
    Post #27 - October 6th, 2010, 4:13 pm Post #27 - October 6th, 2010, 4:13 pm
    villamickey wrote:Thai Aree is still run by Ed and his wife Anne.

It's nice to hear that Eddie is back on the scene. He is the heat meister! I'll have to get over there soon. It's been much too long.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #28 - November 14th, 2010, 8:20 pm
    Post #28 - November 14th, 2010, 8:20 pm Post #28 - November 14th, 2010, 8:20 pm
    nicinchic wrote:Easy one for me:
    Filete Arriero -8 oz steak covered with arriero sauce, lemon, garlic and jalapeno, fresh homemade tortillas.

Rene G wrote:One of these days I'll get to La Condesa on Ashland to try the filete.

My day for filete arriero finally arrived. Good stuff. Not something I'd want every day but I can definitely see myself getting a hankering for it. The sauce is anything but subtle—simply fresh jalapeños, raw garlic, lemon, oil and salt whirled in a blender (I heard the blender whirring shortly after I ordered). Hot, sour, garlicky, raw. More reminiscent of a sauce for seafood aguachile preparations than anything usually served with skirt steak. Someone at the restaurant likes the sauce on breaded chicken breast—sounds like it could be worth a try.

Very good, freshly made tortillas complete a meal that really tickles all the taste buds. Thanks for the recommendation. This is probably not something I would have ordered based on the menu description but I'm almost certain to have it again.

La Condesa
    1003 N Ashland Av
    Chicago
    773-276-5121
  • Post #29 - November 14th, 2010, 8:36 pm
    Post #29 - November 14th, 2010, 8:36 pm Post #29 - November 14th, 2010, 8:36 pm
    Gnocchi Diablo at Bartolini's in Midlothian. Has a real bite to it but still flavorful and enjoyable. Everything there is good.
  • Post #30 - February 24th, 2011, 2:57 pm
    Post #30 - February 24th, 2011, 2:57 pm Post #30 - February 24th, 2011, 2:57 pm
    I definitely concur on Thai Aree. Eddie is a great guy and the food there is very good and a tremendous value. Plus BYOB making it one of my most visited restaurants in my rotation.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more