LTH Home

Blizzard, 2011

Blizzard, 2011
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - February 1st, 2011, 1:47 pm
    Post #31 - February 1st, 2011, 1:47 pm Post #31 - February 1st, 2011, 1:47 pm
    Moderator Note: We merged 2 threads about the upcoming blizzard into this one, so the conversations would be consolidated and easier to follow.

For those of us who haven't already gone into hiding, the discussion can now continue . . . :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #32 - February 1st, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Post #32 - February 1st, 2011, 2:05 pm Post #32 - February 1st, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Evy, you can always plant a potato if it comes to that... :D
  • Post #33 - February 1st, 2011, 2:13 pm
    Post #33 - February 1st, 2011, 2:13 pm Post #33 - February 1st, 2011, 2:13 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    The GP wrote:It snows in Chicago. That's reason to empty out the meat and bread aisles? Huh.
    People get anxious, they look to food.
    Excuses, excuses...
  • Post #34 - February 1st, 2011, 2:41 pm
    Post #34 - February 1st, 2011, 2:41 pm Post #34 - February 1st, 2011, 2:41 pm
    David Hammond wrote:You have food plans for the end of the world as we know it?
    Don't have to worry, I have a Romanian Kosher salami bush.

Have to keep an eye on them though, they fall when ripe

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - February 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm
    Post #35 - February 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm Post #35 - February 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm
    I went grocery shopping last night, but didn't buy bread or milk. (Don't drink milk.) I bought chicken but only because I wanted to try a new recipe that suggested marinating it all night. I've got plenty of stuff in the pantry to cook, plus beer, wine, and half-and-half (for hot chocolate) in the fridge. I walk to work, so if the building is open tomorrow, I'll be there, via snowshoes, if necessary.
  • Post #36 - February 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm
    Post #36 - February 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm Post #36 - February 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:You have food plans for the end of the world as we know it?
    Don't have to worry, I have a Romanian Kosher salami bush.

Have to keep an eye on them though, they fall when ripe

Squirrels always get to mine before they're ready.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #37 - February 1st, 2011, 2:53 pm
    Post #37 - February 1st, 2011, 2:53 pm Post #37 - February 1st, 2011, 2:53 pm
    glad I did my little bit of shopping last night instead of having to stop today. Storm is really brewing out here in God's Country south west of the city.. I am guessing they will close I-80 in the next few hours based on how bad it was.

Looking forward to a day of cajun cookin' tomorrow instead of going to work. :D
  • Post #38 - February 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm
    Post #38 - February 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm Post #38 - February 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm
    I'm trying to decide what to grill tonight - leaning towards steaks.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #39 - February 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm
    Post #39 - February 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm Post #39 - February 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm
    I think we're with most of the people here... No real need to go to the grocery store to stock up, but thought it would be a fun opportunity to stay home from work and cook. Planning to do beef bourguignonne with some homemade egg noodles and brownies. Nothing like comfort food when it's gross outside. Oh, and wine. Bought more red wine than was necessary for the beef.
    But at the grocery store last night, I felt a little silly seeing everyone buying tons of food. I was thinking, at most you won't be able to go to the store, for, what, 2 days? Why do you need to buy so much food?
  • Post #40 - February 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm
    Post #40 - February 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm Post #40 - February 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    I’m on record as predicting that the much anticipated Blizzard of 2011 (known in the media as Snowpocalypse, Blizzkrieg, etc.) will be this generation’s Kohoutek, but still, it’s oddly comforting to think about being snowed in for a day or so.

I agree with your prediction. I am not a meteorologist ( nor do I play one on TV ), but to my untrained eyes, it appears that the bulk of the storm is tracking more to the east. I say that O'Hare gets 12 inches max.

As far as food, if we run out of frozen stuff we will rely on cheap-ass Ramen noodles and saltines. :(
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #41 - February 1st, 2011, 3:25 pm
    Post #41 - February 1st, 2011, 3:25 pm Post #41 - February 1st, 2011, 3:25 pm
    LikestoEatout wrote:
    Katie wrote:
    Also can't remember when we've ever not had the gas (stove) working, so I'm expecting to be able to cook. I guess if you have an electric stove this could be a worry.

Your gas stove may have an electric ignition.

Nothing a flick of a Bic couldn't overcome.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #42 - February 1st, 2011, 3:40 pm
    Post #42 - February 1st, 2011, 3:40 pm Post #42 - February 1st, 2011, 3:40 pm
    Steaks and wine. Gonna whip up some no knead bread for tomorrow.
    I'm not Angry, I'm hungry.
  • Post #43 - February 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm
    Post #43 - February 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm Post #43 - February 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm
    Friend in the neighborhood just called a snowball fight. Losers will buy the first round of cocktails at The Violet Hour. Seems to me like a fine way for the world to end.

I'm typically not one to stay inside in these conditions, but I have plenty of cheese, chocolate and wine at home to sustain me and, more importantly, keep me happy in case I start to feel cooped up.
  • Post #44 - February 1st, 2011, 4:00 pm
    Post #44 - February 1st, 2011, 4:00 pm Post #44 - February 1st, 2011, 4:00 pm
    Last Labriola baguette from MSCM, Ritter Sport chocolate bar with cornflakes, Palacios chorizo, and leftover homemade carrot-ginger soup with Scotch bonnet peppers and coconut milk. Bring it on, Snoprah.
  • Post #45 - February 1st, 2011, 4:07 pm
    Post #45 - February 1st, 2011, 4:07 pm Post #45 - February 1st, 2011, 4:07 pm
    Mhays wrote:Evy, you can always plant a potato if it comes to that... :D

True :lol:. And I have a past-its-prime avocado I can start with toothpicks and a glass of water too.

It is nasty out there. Just spent 45 minutes to drive my 20 minute commute.
  • Post #46 - February 1st, 2011, 5:37 pm
    Post #46 - February 1st, 2011, 5:37 pm Post #46 - February 1st, 2011, 5:37 pm
    This is the first day of my retirement, which I have to say seems to be well timed and memorable. I already had cooking plans for today, but the blizzard helps keep me focused. I made a nice loaf of bread, a lovely batch of chopped chicken livers and some egg salad. Later on I want to bake some marrow bones to spread on my fresh bread. I don't care when I get out. :D
  • Post #47 - February 1st, 2011, 6:14 pm
    Post #47 - February 1st, 2011, 6:14 pm Post #47 - February 1st, 2011, 6:14 pm
    nice. Happy retirement to you! This is memorable!
  • Post #48 - February 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm
    Post #48 - February 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm Post #48 - February 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm
    Snowpocalypse Be Damned!

I got provisions at Treasure Island with Salt & Pepper Chips, Morningstar veggie mini corn dogs, Fresh Squeezed OJ & Meyer Lemons(to prevent scurvy), & Haagen-Daz Cherry Vanilla, as well as there Lemon ice cream, Walker Shortbread, & Delightful Pastries macaroons. That ought to hold us, right?

Keep Calm & Carry On.
    Last edited by pairs4life on February 1st, 2011, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #49 - February 1st, 2011, 6:19 pm
    Post #49 - February 1st, 2011, 6:19 pm Post #49 - February 1st, 2011, 6:19 pm
    We'll head over to the Bristol tonight ;)

I did a pretty normal shop over the weekend -
    Broccoli, Kale, Oranges, Bananas, Milk, Cereal, a Lime
    Bacon, ground Turkey

Only think I wish I had gotten that I didn't was Cilantro.

We live in a city. We'll be fine unless power goes out EVERYWHERE.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #50 - February 1st, 2011, 6:20 pm
    Post #50 - February 1st, 2011, 6:20 pm Post #50 - February 1st, 2011, 6:20 pm
    razbry wrote:This is the first day of my retirement, which I have to say seems to be well timed and memorable. I already had cooking plans for today, but the blizzard helps keep me focused. I made a nice loaf of bread, a lovely batch of chopped chicken livers and some egg salad. Later on I want to bake some marrow bones to spread on my fresh bread. I don't care when I get out. :D

I'd go to your house for some of that delicious-sounding food, but I know it's impossible right now...
  • Post #51 - February 1st, 2011, 7:11 pm
    Post #51 - February 1st, 2011, 7:11 pm Post #51 - February 1st, 2011, 7:11 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:I'm typically not one to stay inside in these conditions

Me neither. I’ve been out and am going out again.

At 2:30, just as the snow was starting to come down over the People’s Republic, I walked a mile or so over to the gym and walked back around 5:30. After some quality time in the steam room, soft facial skin cringed under a raging mist of ice nanoparticles. It was brutal and delicious. I enjoy intense weather. A lot.

I flew into Cuba once during a hurricane and it was a weird rush that I’ve yet to duplicate (funny walking through airport concourse: thousands headed one way, me and a few knucklehead friends headed the other; it was dangerous and amusing).

One of the best reasons for living in the Midwest: electrical storms.

Anyway, walking home was wild and other-worldly and only a little uncomfortable.

PS. Snowball fight might be tough; this does not seem to be good-packing snow.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #52 - February 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm
    Post #52 - February 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm Post #52 - February 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm
    I paused between train and bus this evening on my way home and thought about stopping in but honestly...there's not much I could think about getting. I did my weekly shop on Saturday and i picked up kitty food yesterday (that was in prep pre storm). So...i'm good -- i have tons of cheese and crackers on top of lots of ingredients for more complex food...

I will say that it's a probably one of the strongest winds/snow combos I've ever walked in during my 30 plus years in this city. The trees seemed to be screaming in the wind and I suspect many parts of them will be coming down. I'm just worried about losing power because my heat is electric. the stove is gas though....

BUT..should all go well...I'll be doing some baking on my snow day tomorrow. What..I'm not sure..but I've got lots of butter and eggs and a nice new bag of KA flour.

I may try a braise....
  • Post #53 - February 1st, 2011, 9:02 pm
    Post #53 - February 1st, 2011, 9:02 pm Post #53 - February 1st, 2011, 9:02 pm
    AngrySarah wrote:Steaks and wine. Gonna whip up some no knead bread for tomorrow.

I agree. I'll be baking my first all wild yeast leavened loaf in about an hour. Because I was out at 3 (only to watch my 30 minute commute become 90), I even got home early enough to give it extra proofing time. Oven warming up the kitchen is just a bonus.

I stopped to buy 2 deodorant units yesterday. The cashier asked if I was stocking up for the storm. I stared at her, blinking. Lady, I'm not *that* worried about the snow.
  • Post #54 - February 1st, 2011, 9:06 pm
    Post #54 - February 1st, 2011, 9:06 pm Post #54 - February 1st, 2011, 9:06 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I’ve been out and am going out again.

Just returned from an invigorating stroll, which really put my outdoor gear -- not to mention my 2 new hips -- to the test. It was great out there; a real sense of the elements gaining the upper hand. However, we had quite a bit of 'civilization' on our side and were never really in peril during our 3/4-mile trek. I would have happily gone by myself but the family decided they were also up for the mini-adventure, which made it even better. Walking east was tough, as we were really getting pelted in our barely-exposed faces with hard-blowing ice and snow. Coming back west, though, it was entirely pleasant. The wind was at our backs and we were taking in some extreme conditions that we just don't experience very often around here.

In any case, the bottom line is that there was never a better excuse for a steaming-hot round of hot chocolates . . . mine with a generous splash of Van Winkle 12-year bolstering it. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #55 - February 1st, 2011, 9:38 pm
    Post #55 - February 1st, 2011, 9:38 pm Post #55 - February 1st, 2011, 9:38 pm
    Jeez, you guys are out trekking for fun, and I've been taking shoveling breaks for front and backyards; thank goodness for my Polish neighbor, who has been a great help with his Double-Shovel Technique.®

Anyhow, I've been making Judy Rodgers' Zuni Cafe fideos for dinner, and there's nothing more comforting to me than making her food. I'll be eating late tonight, so see you later, I've got to take another shoveling break soon.
  • Post #56 - February 1st, 2011, 9:46 pm
    Post #56 - February 1st, 2011, 9:46 pm Post #56 - February 1st, 2011, 9:46 pm
    aschie30 wrote:Jeez, you guys are out trekking for fun, and I've been taking shoveling breaks for front and backyards; thank goodness for my Polish neighbor, who has been a great help with his Double-Shovel Technique.®

Anyhow, I've been making Judy Rodgers' Zuni Cafe fideos for dinner, and there's nothing more comforting to me than making her food. I'll be eating late tonight, so see you later, I've got to take another shoveling break soon.

Shoveling is futile. Enjoy, as ronnie suggests, weather getting the upper hand. We are weak before it.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #57 - February 1st, 2011, 11:20 pm
    Post #57 - February 1st, 2011, 11:20 pm Post #57 - February 1st, 2011, 11:20 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    aschie30 wrote:Jeez, you guys are out trekking for fun, and I've been taking shoveling breaks for front and backyards; thank goodness for my Polish neighbor, who has been a great help with his Double-Shovel Technique.®

Shoveling is futile. Enjoy, as ronnie suggests, weather getting the upper hand. We are weak before it.

I really do want to learn to snowshoe!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #58 - February 1st, 2011, 11:24 pm
    Post #58 - February 1st, 2011, 11:24 pm Post #58 - February 1st, 2011, 11:24 pm
    Hi,

Dinner tonight should have been outdoors overlooking an olive grove. Grilled (well, broiled) chicken arranged over onion-parsley salad dressed with sumac on a bed of dry Italian bread. I took my first stab at toum, the taste was right but I need to improve the texture. I read later I should have whipped it for several minutes more.

The windows on the east side of house are covered with snow. Shades of Dr. Zhivago, snow had worked its way through an unnoticed ever so slightly opened bedroom window. When I suggested my family may want to see this. Nobody seemed interested. I made a snowball and tossed it into their bed.

Lights went out once for a less than minute. A reminder to jot down the ComEd emergency number: 1-800-edison1.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #59 - February 1st, 2011, 11:40 pm
    Post #59 - February 1st, 2011, 11:40 pm Post #59 - February 1st, 2011, 11:40 pm
    I'm well stocked between kitchen, pantry, freezer and fridge in garage. I cooked up a feast of kilbasa, sauerkraut and potato and bacon pierogies and we watched a movie about Marie Antoinette. We had cherry blinzes for dessert. I'll make something else tomorrow but have not decided what. Plenty of food.

Note to all that are thinking of drinking bourbon or whiskey. Dr. Oz was on today and said you will get the worst hangovers from that and to drink either vodka or gin to avoid that hungover feeling. I know this does not help if you really like bourbon. Just sayin.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #60 - February 1st, 2011, 11:52 pm
    Post #60 - February 1st, 2011, 11:52 pm Post #60 - February 1st, 2011, 11:52 pm
    toria wrote:Note to all that are thinking of drinking bourbon or whiskey. Dr. Oz was on today and said you will get the worst hangovers from that and to drink either vodka or gin to avoid that hungover feeling. I know this does not help if you really like bourbon. Just sayin.
    I don't know who this Dr. Oz fellow is*, but I don't like him. And neither does the glass of Old Potrero I'm drinking at the moment.

-Dan

* no, I'm not about to Google him and find out - any person who recommends vodka over whisky doesn't deserve my Googling

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more