LTH Home

Chicago restaurant history

Chicago restaurant history
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - March 13th, 2009, 11:30 am
    Post #31 - March 13th, 2009, 11:30 am Post #31 - March 13th, 2009, 11:30 am
    Hi folks, long time no post! I have just uploaded about 25 new restaurant postcards. Most of them are in the newer chrome section, but a few are older. I also moved a couple chromes from the upper part to the newer section. I had missed them earlier. Here is the list:

Bamboo Inn Restaurant
    Burger Bar & Others Across from Chicago Theatre
    Camelia House in the Drake Hotel
    Club El Bianco
    Fireplace Inn Restaurant
    Golden Ox Restaurant
    Johnnys Prime Steaks
    La Margerita Café
    Le Chateaubriand at La Salle Hotel
    Mandarin Inn Restaurant
    Marinique Restaurant - 2 New Views
    Naka-no-ya Tea House
    Presto Restaurant & Barcelona Lounge
    Red Dog Palace Saloon in the Blackhawk Restaurant
    Shangri-la Restaurant
    Su Casa Restaurant
    The Gibraltar Room, Prudential Building
    The Pickle Barrel Restaurant
    The Traders - the Palmer House
    Top of the Rock, Prudential Building
    Villa Sweden Restaurant
    William Tell Restaurant - 2 Diff. Views
    Wrigley Building Restaurant, New View

The card listed above as Burgerbar is a card showing several restaurants across from the Chicago Theatre in 1964. Due to the loss of quality from the real card to the computer, I will attempt to give you the names as best I can tell. Would love it if someone can help with more info.

The Burgerbar is the one with the barn type roof on the front. The next one to the right is The Flame - Sirloin Steak House. To its right is one I can't quite make out. It appears to say MIEHEEDS, or something similar. The first "E" may not be an "E". Anyway, if anyone knows that one, let me know.

Just for further interest, the State-Lake Theatre in the background is showing "Dr. No", with James Bond, and the Chicago Theatre in front has "Mondo Cane".

It might also be interesting to know how many, if any, of these restaurants are still open, and in the same locations.

Hope the new cards bring back pleasant memories for everyone. Just after I uploaded these, I got 2 more in the mail. It will be a few days until I get these up. Lately I have been checking this site only about once a week, so be patient if you have questions. Enjoy!!
  • Post #32 - March 21st, 2009, 9:49 am
    Post #32 - March 21st, 2009, 9:49 am Post #32 - March 21st, 2009, 9:49 am
    Hello, all-
    At the Newberry Library, we have a online historical map project, http://www.ChicagoAncestors.org, where we've been plotting historical information about Chicago. Recently, we plotted a bunch of information about old restaurants in Chicago, including links to the cards at ChicagoPC.info and entries from the 1931 book Dining in Chicago http://www.archive.org/details/dininginchicago00drur.

To browse entries about restaurants, go to the Browse Tags page and type in "restaurant."
    http://www.chicagoancestors.org/#browse_tags_summary

You can also search by address or intersection from the main page to find data about a particular area of the city.

So far, some of my favorite historical restaurants are:

King Tut's Tomb (4711 S. Michigan)

Truck Driver's Social Club (18th and Wabash)

Russian Workers' Co-operative Restaurant
    (1628 W. Division St.)

Jack Simpson
  • Post #33 - March 21st, 2009, 11:24 am
    Post #33 - March 21st, 2009, 11:24 am Post #33 - March 21st, 2009, 11:24 am
    jsimpson wrote:Hello, all-
    At the Newberry Library, we have a online historical map project, http://www.ChicagoAncestors.org, where we've been plotting historical information about Chicago. Recently, we plotted a bunch of information about old restaurants in Chicago, including links to the cards at ChicagoPC.info and entries from the 1931 book Dining in Chicago http://www.archive.org/details/dininginchicago00drur.

To browse entries about restaurants, go to the Browse Tags page and type in "restaurant."
    http://www.chicagoancestors.org/#browse_tags_summary

You can also search by address or intersection from the main page to find data about a particular area of the city.

So far, some of my favorite historical restaurants are:

King Tut's Tomb (4711 S. Michigan)

Truck Driver's Social Club (18th and Wabash)

Russian Workers' Co-operative Restaurant
    (1628 W. Division St.)

Jack Simpson

Thanks for posting. This is a great resource. I love the description from Drury's Dining in Chicago about the Russian Worker's Co-op Restaurant:
    RUSSIAN WORKERS' CO-OPERATIVE RESTAURANT, 162S [sic] West Division Street

Situated in the Russian quarter on the northwest side, this dining place has a menu that would certainly make an underfed comrade over in Soviet Russia green with envy. For not only do you find here a comprehensive line of ordinary American foods but all the standard Russian dishes are on the menu — borscht, that tasty thick red soup consisting of beets and milk; kasha, made of buckwheat grits with a sauce of bacon and mushrooms, and goluptse, which is rolled cabbage stuffed with various meats. A tumbler of amber-tinted Russian tea, some fruit, and a cigarette finishes off the meal nicely. Now that you are at leisure, look about you and observe the comrades reading The Daily Worker, for this is a dining place for communists as well as for old conservative White Russians. It is spotlessly clean and the prices are reasonable. And don't be afraid — nobody will toss a bomb.

There was at least one other "co-operative" restaurant I saw listed, Leighton Co-operative Dairy Restaurant, 40 South Clark St. Here's the description, again from Drury:

As its name indicates, the Leighton features dairy dishes. A clean attractive place, serving a good 40 cent luncheon, which includes other typical American dishes than those made of dairy products. Southern hash with poached egg for example. This is very good here.

Does anyone know how these co-ops worked? Did co-op members eat at a reduced price?
  • Post #34 - March 21st, 2009, 11:40 am
    Post #34 - March 21st, 2009, 11:40 am Post #34 - March 21st, 2009, 11:40 am
    I don't know anything about the co-op restaurants, but there is a bit of information about the Russian Workers Cooperative Restaurant in the Encyclopedia of Chicago entry on Russians:

The Russian Orthodox community organized around such institutions as Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral on North Leavitt, completed in 1903 after a $4,000 donation from the tsar. Between 1920 and 1924, many of those forced to flee in the aftermath of the 1917 Russian Revolution settled in Chicago. At the same time, a number of those who supported the new Soviet system returned to Russia to join the revolution. Still, many “reds” and “whites” continued to live side by side in Chicago. The “whites” gathered in Holy Trinity Cathedral while the “reds” met on North Western Avenue for mass, or in the Russian Workers Co-Operative Restaurant on West Division.

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1104.html
  • Post #35 - March 21st, 2009, 11:40 am
    Post #35 - March 21st, 2009, 11:40 am Post #35 - March 21st, 2009, 11:40 am
    I think there are Swedish and women's co-ops in there, too. Not sure how they worked, apart from what "co-op" implies, as you suggest.

Did anyone catch the link to the digitized version of Drury's book? Mike Sula found it and linked it in my Reader post on Operetta. Lots of fun to read through, though so far as Rene G and I have determined, the only remaining place mentioned in it is Won Kow in Chinatown (assuming you consider the Berghoff to be no more).
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #36 - March 21st, 2009, 12:12 pm
    Post #36 - March 21st, 2009, 12:12 pm Post #36 - March 21st, 2009, 12:12 pm
    Mike G wrote:I think there are Swedish and women's co-ops in there, too. Not sure how they worked, apart from what "co-op" implies, as you suggest.

Did anyone catch the link to the digitized version of Drury's book? Mike Sula found it and linked it in my Reader post on Operetta. Lots of fun to read through, though so far as Rene G and I have determined, the only remaining place mentioned in it is Won Kow in Chinatown (assuming you consider the Berghoff to be no more).

I did see the digitized Drury. It's clearly one of those things that could eat up my whole day.
  • Post #37 - May 1st, 2009, 8:25 am
    Post #37 - May 1st, 2009, 8:25 am Post #37 - May 1st, 2009, 8:25 am
    Sorry to make everyone wait so long for the next installment of new restaurant postcards, but they are here! Here is a list -

Adolphs Italian Restaurant
    Allgauers Fireside Restaurant
    Allgauers Restaurant
    Antonios Steak House
    Barneys Market Club
    Black Bull Restaurant
    Café Azteca
    Café Bellini
    Carusos Theatre Restaurant
    Chances Are / Across the Street
    Charlottes Restaurant
    Chiam Restaurant
    Club El Bianco
    Eddie Korosas Baby Doll Polka Club
    Edinburgh Castle Inn
    Fritzels Restaurant
    Gejas Café
    Gibraltar Room, Prudential Building
    Gold Lion Restaurant
    Grandmas Receipts Restaurant
    Gus Good Food Restaurant
    Hardings Erin Room
    House of Eng
    Johnny Kroks Cardinal House
    Johnstones Restaurant
    Kungsholm Restaurant
    La Stanza Del Arte at Armandos
    Lowenbrau Inn
    Macao / Kon-tiki Ports / Sheraton-chicago Hotel
    Million Dollar Rainbo Gardens Exterior
    Mortons Restaurant
    Mrs. Olearys Restaurant
    Ron of Japan Restaurant
    Ronnys Steak Palace
    Salzburger Hof Restaurant
    Scheherazade Restaurant
    Shangri-la Restaurant
    Tai Dong Restaurant
    The Beverly Woods Restaurant
    The Black Forest Restaurant
    The Diplomat Restaurant
    The Gallery Restaurant / Country Club Hotel
    The Lime House, Knickerbocker Hotel
    The Red Star Inn
    The Wishing Well Restaurant
    Toppers Beef & Bourbon Restaurant

If you are new to my website, just go to chicagopc.info, and click on the restaurant button on the left side of the front page. Newer restaurants are at the bottom of the page of thumbnails. Restaurant postcards printed before 1950 are at the top. Enjoy!!

I will enjoy when people share memories of their favorites, so I will check back once in a while.
  • Post #38 - May 1st, 2009, 9:00 am
    Post #38 - May 1st, 2009, 9:00 am Post #38 - May 1st, 2009, 9:00 am
    It's good to see the postcard of Johnstones, which was a great fried chicken restaurant. Somehow, I mis-remembered it being in the building that presently stands at the corner of Peterson and Cicero (kiddie corner from Whole Foods). Evidently, it was a stand alone building at that location.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #39 - September 2nd, 2009, 7:17 pm
    Post #39 - September 2nd, 2009, 7:17 pm Post #39 - September 2nd, 2009, 7:17 pm
    Hello again all,

I just loaded a bunch of new cards onto my website, including lots of new restaurants! Here is a list. Some that may be hard to find have the categories listed behind. I included all my cards in case you want to see the non-restaurant ones also. If you don't find a restaurant in the bottom, chrome section, don't forget to check higher up.

Armour Sheep Killing Floor - stockyards
    Atwood Building Café
    Bismarck Hotel, Main Restaurant
    Bismarck Hotel, Winter Garden
    Bismarck Inn, Bismarck Hotel
    Blossom Room, Palmolive Building
    Boston Oyster House Foyer
    Bratskellar Restaurant
    Chicago Service Men Center
    Drakes Restaurant
    El Grifon Restaurant
    Illinois Athletic Club Main Dining Room - Clubs
    Indian Room - Don Roths Blackhawk Restaurant
    Italian Village Restaurant
    Jennies Restaurant
    Johnnys Prime Steaks
    Lake Shore Club of Chicago - the Mediterranean
    Lake Shore Club of Chicago - Cocktail Lounge
    Liberty Life Insurance Co - 2 Cards
    Lions Catering - Regal Room - Small Businesses
    Lions Catering Service Crystal Room
    Marina City Restaurant
    Mr. Madison Restaurant
    Normandy House Restaurant
    North American Restaurant
    Oakland Rest Room - Misc Cards
    Old Frontier - Don Roths Blackhawk Restaurant
    Paradise Restaurant
    Pekin House Restaurant
    Pla-Mor Café - Entertainment-Music/Dancing
    Sherman Hotel - Porterhouse Room
    Shirleys Tropical Banquet Hall
    Silver Forest Room, Drake Hotel
    St Nicholas Hotel
    States Restaurant
    Su Casa Restaurant
    Sutherland Hotel
    Swiss Chalet, Bismarck Hotel
    The Black Forest Restaurant
    The Diplomat Restaurant
    The Jolly Chef on Wabash Restaurant
    The Nantucket Restaurant
    The Sphinx Restaurant
    Tommys Steer & Stein - Crystal Banquet Room
    Tracys Restaurant
    Wagtayles Restaurant
    Warsaw Restaurant
    Wellington Hotel - Italian Room
    Wilson Co Roof Garden Restaurant - Worlds Fair

Hope you enjoy these cards!
  • Post #40 - December 28th, 2009, 4:03 pm
    Post #40 - December 28th, 2009, 4:03 pm Post #40 - December 28th, 2009, 4:03 pm
    Just a note to anyone who has tried over the last month or so to go on my website and look at postcards. I had a very unreliable web hosting "friend" who was having life issues and let their server crash, and has not repaired it yet. My website has now been moved to a new company and should be back to stay. At least these people will talk to me. Very sorry for the inconvenience. If you think you were annoyed when you couldn't find it, try to imagine how upset I was, knowing why it was down and not having any luck getting it back up! Thanks for your patience!! The website is still at chicagopc.info.
  • Post #41 - December 28th, 2009, 9:22 pm
    Post #41 - December 28th, 2009, 9:22 pm Post #41 - December 28th, 2009, 9:22 pm
    npchicago wrote:Just a note to anyone who has tried over the last month or so to go on my website and look at postcards. I had a very unreliable web hosting "friend" who was having life issues and let their server crash, and has not repaired it yet. My website has now been moved to a new company and should be back to stay. At least these people will talk to me. Very sorry for the inconvenience. If you think you were annoyed when you couldn't find it, try to imagine how upset I was, knowing why it was down and not having any luck getting it back up! Thanks for your patience!! The website is still at chicagopc.info.

Hi,

I had noticed. I'm very glad you are back up and running.

Happy New Year!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #42 - December 29th, 2009, 4:36 pm
    Post #42 - December 29th, 2009, 4:36 pm Post #42 - December 29th, 2009, 4:36 pm
    Thanks, Cathy2.

My advice to anyone wanting to have a website hosted is to choose someone who is in that business exclusively, has a good reputation, and perhaps most important, is in your immediate area, so you can visit the location, when problems occur.
  • Post #43 - March 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am
    Post #43 - March 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am Post #43 - March 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am
    Finally have a couple new postcards on my site. Since they are few, I will list them all, only a couple restaurants there. Due to bad weather, wasn't able to get too many new ones last time.

Bismarck Garden, Concert Hall & Winter Veranda
    George Diamond Steaks
    Great Northern Bldg
    Himmel Furs
    Klas’ Restaurant (not technically in Chicago, but didn't notice until I owned the card!)
    Lilienfeld Bros. Co.
    McGraw-Hill Bldg, Kiwanis offices
    Northmere Hotel
    Our Lady Of Good Counsel School
    Polish Women’s Alliance of America
    South Chicago Ship Yards
    St. Peter’s Church
    State & Randolph Sts.

Hope to have more in a couple months.
  • Post #44 - March 10th, 2010, 2:32 pm
    Post #44 - March 10th, 2010, 2:32 pm Post #44 - March 10th, 2010, 2:32 pm
    Added a very old, new card - German Restuarant, on Dearborn. Kind of a strange name for it, does anyone have a better one?
  • Post #45 - April 14th, 2010, 11:38 am
    Post #45 - April 14th, 2010, 11:38 am Post #45 - April 14th, 2010, 11:38 am
    Here are a bunch of new cards. A couple are in the suburbs, didn't notice until I had them! I guess you guys will benefit from that mistake!

Alex Moni Buffet
    Allegrettis Restaurant
    American Restaurant
    Café La Margarita
    Ciros Restaurant
    Congress Hotel and Annex - Pompeian Grill
    Country Pancake House
    Granatos Pizzeria
    Gus Good Food Restaurant - Green Room
    Hill’s Summer Garden Co.
    Jacques French Restaurant - Ritz Bar
    Joe and Jeans Lounge
    Latin Quarter Restaurant
    Le Colonial Restaurant
    Lindas Margaritas Restaurant
    Lions Catering Service Grand Ballroom
    Lions Catering Service Lobby
    Mandarin Inn
    Marshall Fields Cloud Room Restaurant Midway Airport
    Martinique Restaurant, older
    Parkway Hotel Café
    Russian Tea Room and Art Shop
    Sayat Nova Restaurant
    Skooglunds Cafeteria
    That Steak Joynt
    The Rustic Manor Restaurant
    Tip Top Inn - Colonial Room
    Ye Baltimore Inn

Enjoy!
  • Post #46 - April 14th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Post #46 - April 14th, 2010, 9:32 pm Post #46 - April 14th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Hi!

Thank you! Your cards are always interesting to look through.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #47 - May 27th, 2010, 9:46 pm
    Post #47 - May 27th, 2010, 9:46 pm Post #47 - May 27th, 2010, 9:46 pm
    Hello folks,

Picked up just a few more postcards. I would have waited but I thought you would want to see the "new" room at the Devils Rendezvous.

Athens Restaurant
    Camelia House Restaurant, Drake Hotel
    Devils Rendezvous Resturant Casket Room
    Pub & Prow Restaurant
    Round Table Restaurant
    Sauganash Inn

Enjoy!!
  • Post #48 - May 27th, 2010, 10:36 pm
    Post #48 - May 27th, 2010, 10:36 pm Post #48 - May 27th, 2010, 10:36 pm
    npchicago wrote:Hello folks,

Picked up just a few more postcards. I would have waited but I thought you would want to see the "new" room at

Hi,

I read your list before reading your introduction, I already checked out the casket room because I just had to. Here's a quick link to it.

Click to see thumbnails of all restaurant postcards.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #49 - September 8th, 2010, 2:37 pm
    Post #49 - September 8th, 2010, 2:37 pm Post #49 - September 8th, 2010, 2:37 pm
    Picked up a couple more restaurant postcards the other day.

Gene Kamp’s Island Home Restaurant
    H & H Restaurant
    Little Heidelbrg Restaurant
    Martinique Restaurant - 2 different ones

All that purple/lavender color at the Martinique - not sure how conducive to eating that color would be! Seems like it might be an appetite killer.

Enjoy! Hope to have more soon, but only working part time still, so money is tight, and Christmas is just around the corner!
  • Post #50 - November 9th, 2010, 6:27 pm
    Post #50 - November 9th, 2010, 6:27 pm Post #50 - November 9th, 2010, 6:27 pm
    A couple new postcards to look at, wish I had more.

Flukies

Viking Smorgasbord - sorry, this one isn't technically in Chicago, but the person I got the card from represented it as being ON Dundee, instead of IN Dundee. Thought you might want to see it anyway!

Hopefully soon I will be able to add more, but the employment situation is still tight!
  • Post #51 - November 10th, 2010, 8:42 am
    Post #51 - November 10th, 2010, 8:42 am Post #51 - November 10th, 2010, 8:42 am
    npchicago wrote:
    Viking Smorgasbord - sorry, this one isn't technically in Chicago, but the person I got the card from represented it as being ON Dundee, instead of IN Dundee. Thought you might want to see it anyway!

I appreciated seeing this one! I used to eat there a lot with my parents as a kid, I went to Dundee High School in the 1960's.
  • Post #52 - November 10th, 2010, 4:56 pm
    Post #52 - November 10th, 2010, 4:56 pm Post #52 - November 10th, 2010, 4:56 pm
    Yikes! I cleaned off part of my desk and found several more cards I had forgotten! They will be up later tonite, for sure tomorrow morning.

Palmer House Red Lacquer Room
    Howey's Old World Inn
    Bamboo Inn, another view
    Morton's interior, c.1955
    Schmitt Bakeries - kind of food related, this one was located in the Northwestern Station, early 60's
  • Post #53 - November 10th, 2010, 8:27 pm
    Post #53 - November 10th, 2010, 8:27 pm Post #53 - November 10th, 2010, 8:27 pm
    npchicago,

Thank you, it is always a pleasure to look through your postcards.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #54 - November 10th, 2010, 10:18 pm
    Post #54 - November 10th, 2010, 10:18 pm Post #54 - November 10th, 2010, 10:18 pm
    Thanks, Cathy2, only wish I could afford hundreds more, but then we none of us have money enough for our hobbies, do we?!
  • Post #55 - February 24th, 2011, 7:13 pm
    Post #55 - February 24th, 2011, 7:13 pm Post #55 - February 24th, 2011, 7:13 pm
    Here is my latest installment of cards, a few restaurants included. Enjoy!

Aerial view looking toward Navy Pier from Board of Trade RPPC
    Bridges Spanning Chicago River
    Central Plaza Hotel
    Civic Opera House
    Cool retreat in new section of Humboldt Park
    Douglas Park gymnasium grounds
    Edgewater Beach Hotel beach promenade
    Elevated Loop Wabash Ave
    Elks War Memorial
    King Joy Lo Restaurant
    Grand Hotel
    Great Northern Hotel Cafe
    Illinois Tunnel (trains-misc)
    Infantry marching near Grant Park (govt-military)
    Julian Theatre
    La Strada Restaurant
    Manhattan Bathing Beach
    McKinely Park Swedish M E Church
    Municipal Airport Terminal
    Perkins Bass public school
    Ravenswood Apartments, Sunnyside & Paulina
    Roosevelt Restaurant
    R.R. Donnelley & Sons (factories)
    Saratoga Hotel main dining room
    Sherman Hotel - "The Dome" (restaurant?)
    Tom Brown's Coach Light Restaurant
    Union Stock Yards - End of their route
    YMCA Hotel lunch room
  • Post #56 - March 19th, 2011, 7:41 pm
    Post #56 - March 19th, 2011, 7:41 pm Post #56 - March 19th, 2011, 7:41 pm
    Here is my latest set of new restaurant. Hope to have more in about 4 weeks. Enjoy!

Beverly Woods Rest. Exterior
    Chef Alberto’s Restaurant
    Club El Bianco Restaurant
    Country Club Hotel - Bamboo Room Restaurant
    Edgewater Beach Hotel Marine Room
    Gus Good Food Restaurant - English Room
    Hellas Café
    Old Heidelberg Inn Restaurant
    Ricketts Restaurant - the Amber Room
    Sheraton-chicago Hotel - Singapore Joes Tavern
    St Andrew Home Dining Room (in Hotels - P-Z)
    The Atlantic Restaurant
    The Rustic Manor Restaurant
  • Post #57 - April 23rd, 2011, 9:47 pm
    Post #57 - April 23rd, 2011, 9:47 pm Post #57 - April 23rd, 2011, 9:47 pm
    Here are my latest additions to my postcard website, chicagopc.info.

Chez Paree Restaurant Lobby and Foyer
    Chicago Beach Hotel American Dining Room
    Irelands Oyster House
    Jacques French Restaurant - Chrome
    King Wah Restaurant
    Mckowns Restaurant Exterior
    Miss Lindquist Café
    Nielsens French Fried Chicken
    Papa Milano Restaurant
    Papeete Restaurant, Kon-tiki Ports, Sheraton Chicago Hotel
    Rotunda of Mens Grill Room Marshall Field
    The Bakery Restaurant
    Town & Country Xpressway Restaurant

Hope these bring back many happy memories.
  • Post #58 - June 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm
    Post #58 - June 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm Post #58 - June 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm
    Here are my latest additions to the website. I have included any food related cards, see the LINKS page for more cards.

Anna Held Fountain Café
    Bismarck Garden - Dutch Wind Mill (This must have been quite a place)
    Bismarck Garden - Entrance from Garden to Marigold Room
    Bismarck Garden Marigold Room
    Bismarck Garden - Swiss Chateau, Electric Fountain
    Corner of Tip Top Inn, Pullman Building
    Graemere Hotel Banquet Hall
    John M Powell Café (note electric fans for cooling)
    Mi Casa Su Casa Mexican Restaurant
    Mirabell Restaurant & Lounge
    Mitchell’s Coffee Shop
    Planters Hotel Merrie Garden Restaurant
    R.M. Jones Restaurant (6 light bulbs to light the whole place)
    Singapore Steak & Chop House
    Subway Café Exterior
    Woodwards Fine Candy Factory
    Worlds Fair 1933
    North Midway Luncheonette

As always, hope you enjoy these!
  • Post #59 - September 25th, 2011, 11:55 am
    Post #59 - September 25th, 2011, 11:55 am Post #59 - September 25th, 2011, 11:55 am
    Finally a decent set of new restaurant postcards. Most are newer, a couple are very old.

Agostinos Restaurant
    Atros Restaurant
    Cartablanca Restaurant
    Como Inn
    Davis Hotel - Oriental Room
    Fritzel Restaurant
    Fultons Steamboat
    Gazebo Pancake House
    Harvest House Cafeteria
    Highlander Restaurant - Holiday Inn North
    Honolulu Harrys Waikiki
    Kenmore Hotel
    Isbells Famous Chicken - not a building, but check out the free gift by the “plate”
    Jackson Jolly Chef Restaurant
    Lions Catering - French Room
    Lions Catering - Lions Restaurant
    Luigis
    McKinlock Court at Art Institute, Lunch Court
    Lutzs Continental Pastry Shop & Cafe
    Rienzi Café Main Dining Room
    Manns Million Dollar Rainbo Summer Garden
    Micheli
    Milans Restaurant
    Mister Mikes Steak House
    Oriental Room - Hotel Davis
    Pickwick Restaurant & others in the Chicago & NW RR terminal
    Roditys Restaurant
    Shoreland Hotel - Atros Restaurant
    Southwest Inn
    Stouffers Top of the Rock
    Zum Deutschen Eck

Hope these bring back lots of memories!
  • Post #60 - March 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm
    Post #60 - March 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm Post #60 - March 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm
    More new restaurant postcards for your perusal.

Edelweiss restaurant
    fountain lunch at west side professional schools, YMCA
    Henrici’s O’Hare restaurant
    Lincoln Turner Hall café, 1005 diversey parkway
    Monadnock Restaurant
    Showboat Sari-s...
    Tropical Hut Restaurant

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close