USA Steak Buffet
    No votes
    Chinese Buffet (please specify!)
    6%
    Other (Please specify!)
    45%
    Total votes : 33
  • Post #61 - January 20th, 2012, 2:39 pm
    Post #61 - January 20th, 2012, 2:39 pm Post #61 - January 20th, 2012, 2:39 pm
    I think reading this thread makes me believe that I like buffets more than I thought I did.

Certainly, the Churrascaria restaurants like Fogo and Brazzaz are high on my list, even if I restrict myself to the salads. I have always liked the Indian buffets on Devon, Mt. Everest in Evanston, and Khyber Pass in Oak Park. My visits to the Sunday Brunch at either Shaw's have always resulted in good dining experiences, and I even confess to the guilty pleasure of a visit to Todai every couple of years, just to see what proportion of the menu appeals to me.
  • Post #62 - January 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm
    Post #62 - January 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm Post #62 - January 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm
    The good part of buffets, especially the ethnic ones, allow you to experience a cuisine that would otherwise be intimidating. In addition, you get to try a wide variety of dishes.

For example, you can try four or five Indian dishes at any Indian buffet. If you go in alone to an Indian restaurant, will you generally get to try more than one?
  • Post #63 - January 21st, 2012, 5:59 am
    Post #63 - January 21st, 2012, 5:59 am Post #63 - January 21st, 2012, 5:59 am
    You will if you want to call yourself an LTHer.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #64 - January 21st, 2012, 8:11 am
    Post #64 - January 21st, 2012, 8:11 am Post #64 - January 21st, 2012, 8:11 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:The good part of buffets, especially the ethnic ones, allow you to experience a cuisine that would otherwise be intimidating. In addition, you get to try a wide variety of dishes.

For example, you can try four or five Indian dishes at any Indian buffet. If you go in alone to an Indian restaurant, will you generally get to try more than one?

While I do agree with ethnic buffets being good for trying a variety, many Indian places offer some form of a Thali, or they call them a "special dinner" on the menu consisting of 5 or 6 items.

Just an example or two:
    Viceroy of India - http://www.viceroyofindia.com/chefs-specials-menu.htm
    Indian Grill on Clark - http://www.indiangrillrestaurants.com/indian%20grill.pdf
    Sher A Punjab - http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurants/sher-a-punjab-2/menu

There are plenty more that do something like this, just keep this in mind when you are scanning the menu. I find it a little surprising that most places do not offer something like this. An Indian place offering a lunch special or dinner special would be most welcome, imo. Something like most Chinese places offer - a samosa, some rice, two stewy dishes (just have two big pots in the kitchen - switch em up each day) and naan or paratha. One of my favorite suburban dives, Desi Grill in Lombard does this, and it is fantastic. Been to Chutney Joe's, not really impressed, but it is not aimed at people looking for great food, more of an Indian Chipotle, though if I had to choose between CJ's and Chipotle, I'd pick Chutney Joe's EVERY time.

As for buffets, I'm a mild fan of Hibachi Grill in Wheeling for their sushi offerings, and a few of their "always on the buffet" dishes. Oddly, they have a clam dish on the buffet that is really great. Clams in a light, savory, broth with a good amount of chopped jalapeno. I load up on the sushi that is good that day, the clams, and the potstickers. For the lunch price, it is easily worth it for quality, not just quantity.

I almost went to an Old Country Buffet several years ago. Before we walked in, we noticed that the day's menu was posted outside the front door. The first thing listed on the menu was "Sausage patties in sweet and sour sauce." We left, laughing. That had to be close to 7 years ago. Still haven't been to one.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #65 - January 21st, 2012, 10:19 am
    Post #65 - January 21st, 2012, 10:19 am Post #65 - January 21st, 2012, 10:19 am
    One thing worth mentioning if you plan to try the buffet at an Indian restaurant: Most Indian restaurants offer a buffet at lunchtime, but only a few do so for dinner in the evening. So if you're looking for a buffet at dinner, make sure the place you're planning to go to has one.
  • Post #66 - January 22nd, 2012, 5:27 pm
    Post #66 - January 22nd, 2012, 5:27 pm Post #66 - January 22nd, 2012, 5:27 pm
    VictorPaulDiaz wrote:??? NOT TO GO OFF TOPIC BUT WHO KNOWS OF ANY BUFFETS WITH CRAB LEGS ????[/size]

nsxtasy wrote:Sunday brunch at Shaw's Crab House, both locations (Chicago and Schaumburg), as I already mentioned in the first page of this topic. They have 'em hot or cold, cut into bite sizes, and we're talking the big Alaskan king crab legs, not those skimpy snow crab legs.

VictorPaulDiaz wrote:@Nsxtasy Are you serious! all the other places have the thin ones . THANX!!

nsxtasy wrote:Yes, I'm serious. That's what they had when I was there this past winter. I don't know if they've made any changes, since the price of king crab legs has more than doubled since then. I'm going there (Shaw's Schaumburg) again this Sunday, so I can let you know afterwards if they still have them, or if they've made any changes.

They still have Alaskan king crab legs on the cold buffet, but not on the hot buffet. On the cold buffet, they have Alaskan king crab leg "bites", cut into pieces about 1.5" long. So if you like big chunks of cold king crab, you'll be happy. On the hot buffet, they only had snow crab legs, and they were skimpy indeed. If you want hot crab, you'll need to be satisfied with the snow crab legs and/or the crab cakes. They also had a couple of pasta dishes containing lobster, and cold shrimp cocktail, cold blackened shrimp, and hot french fried shrimp. Everything else was as good as usual, including the breakfast dishes (caramelized bacon, French toast) and desserts (creme brulee, chocolate pot de creme), so it's still an excellent buffet. One other point - they were full with advance reservations, so I strongly recommend making a reservation in advance, rather than just walking in without one and hoping you don't get turned away. Oh, and the price is up to $48 now.
  • Post #67 - January 22nd, 2012, 8:44 pm
    Post #67 - January 22nd, 2012, 8:44 pm Post #67 - January 22nd, 2012, 8:44 pm
    seebee wrote:I almost went to an Old Country Buffet several years ago. Before we walked in, we noticed that the day's menu was posted outside the front door. The first thing listed on the menu was "Sausage patties in sweet and sour sauce." We left, laughing. That had to be close to 7 years ago. Still haven't been to one.

On a related matter - Old Country Buffets Inc. has closed six restaurants in the Chicago area, including Countryside and Northlake, in connection with the company’s bankruptcy filing. http://skokie.suntimes.com/news/1012547 ... egion.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #68 - January 23rd, 2012, 1:31 pm
    Post #68 - January 23rd, 2012, 1:31 pm Post #68 - January 23rd, 2012, 1:31 pm
    I have to second (or twelfth?) the Indian buffet.

India House has the most beautiful, immaculately clean lunch buffett. I've only been to the one on Grand, but I'm a huge fan. We used to go to some places on Devon when I worked up there.

The only downfall is going back to work afterwards rather than laying down and napping!
  • Post #69 - October 12th, 2020, 3:53 pm
    Post #69 - October 12th, 2020, 3:53 pm Post #69 - October 12th, 2020, 3:53 pm
    Old Country Buffet, once a strip mall staple, has closed its last restaurant in Illinois as the pandemic threatens the American tradition of communal serving tongs and endless helpings of macaroni and cheese.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #70 - October 13th, 2020, 6:41 am
    Post #70 - October 13th, 2020, 6:41 am Post #70 - October 13th, 2020, 6:41 am
    It may be a long time before it happens, but I hope buffets come back.
    Sure in many cases very little of what is there is great, or even good, but when you have a couple fussy gradeschoolers on a busy night it's a lifesaver.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #71 - October 13th, 2020, 9:20 am
    Post #71 - October 13th, 2020, 9:20 am Post #71 - October 13th, 2020, 9:20 am
    I'm pretty sure Golden Corrals have reopened....

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more