LTH Home

The Best Fried Chicken in Chicagoland?

The Best Fried Chicken in Chicagoland?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 12
  • Post #151 - August 13th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    Post #151 - August 13th, 2011, 3:23 pm Post #151 - August 13th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    dpchin wrote:I walked by a grilled chicken place in Lakeview near Joy's Noddles & Rice. The chickens were split open on an open indoor grill. I remember the price was not bad. Does anyone know thew the name and address?
    Doug Chin
    Louisville, KY

Chicken Hut is on the corner of Broadway and Belmont.

3200 North Broadway Street
    Chicago, IL 60657-3515
    (773) 868-1755
  • Post #152 - August 13th, 2011, 10:20 pm
    Post #152 - August 13th, 2011, 10:20 pm Post #152 - August 13th, 2011, 10:20 pm
    Now that we're back in the city limits, let me put in a word for the fried chicken at American Depot Diner. They've made the choice between fried chicken and the pot roast sandwich a difficult one for me, and that's saying something for the former since I consider the latter one of the great sandwiches of Chicago.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #153 - August 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm
    Post #153 - August 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm Post #153 - August 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm
    Is the chicken good?
    RobK wrote:
    dpchin wrote:I walked by a grilled chicken place in Lakeview near Joy's Noddles & Rice. The chickens were split open on an open indoor grill. I remember the price was not bad. Does anyone know thew the name and address?
    Doug Chin
    Louisville, KY

Chicken Hut is on the corner of Broadway and Belmont.

3200 North Broadway Street
    Chicago, IL 60657-3515
    (773) 868-1755
  • Post #154 - August 14th, 2011, 5:56 pm
    Post #154 - August 14th, 2011, 5:56 pm Post #154 - August 14th, 2011, 5:56 pm
    It's been a few years since I've been to Chicken Hut, but it was one of my favorite places when I worked in the area. But it's not fried chicken so not really sure what it's doing in this thread. But you'll find other mentions of the place in a few other threads here.
  • Post #155 - August 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm
    Post #155 - August 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm Post #155 - August 15th, 2011, 2:35 pm
    I've had Chicken Inn a few times lately I consider in my top-3. Fantastic breading.

Chicken Inn
    7536 N. Milwaukee Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60631

http://www.chickeninnchicago.com/chicag ... dinner.htm
  • Post #156 - September 2nd, 2011, 9:19 pm
    Post #156 - September 2nd, 2011, 9:19 pm Post #156 - September 2nd, 2011, 9:19 pm
    Having a craving for real fried chicken, not fast-food-fried, I mined this thread for clues, so we went to Glencoe's Little Red Hen.
    How this place has avoided GNR status, I don't know, but I know I'll be back.

Great chicken, steak-cut fries and fried mushrooms, a good greek salad... only the mediocre roll made this less than perfect.
    Meanwhile, the place had a steady stream of teens coming in for food fried and otherwise.

Definitely not fast-food fried chicken, light flour breading made a crisp-shelled crust with a reasonable amount of spice.
    A reasonable wait for fried chicken (their baked BBQ, Greek or plain has a 40-minute wait, this was under 20) was worth it.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #157 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:38 am
    Post #157 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:38 am Post #157 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:38 am
    Little Red Hen of Glencoe
    653 Vernon Avenue
    Glencoe, IL 60022
    (847) 835-4900
  • Post #158 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:31 pm
    Post #158 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:31 pm Post #158 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:31 pm
    I stopped at The Little Red Hen last Saturday on my bike ride. Got an order of house made chicken fingers to snack on outside. They're always tasty and hit the spot. I've always liked Little Red Hen if I need a fried chicken fix (especially ever since the Babyback LTD in Northbrook closed :( - they had some of my favorite broasted fried chicken anywhere). And I've always been a big fan of crispy steak fries (even though they are frozen, no frills) which they do well. They also have a really good, very thin pizza.
  • Post #159 - August 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm
    Post #159 - August 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm Post #159 - August 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm
    metro man wrote:I have to second the Mini Hut recommendation. I grew up in the area and have been eating this chicken for over 30 years. As a disclaimer I had my first job at Mini Hut when it was at Archer and Austin where the Jewel is currently located. That was exactly 30 years ago this summer. My buddy Tony worked the fryer - chicken, shrimp and fish. I worked the front - dogs, tamales, beefs and burgers. This is where I learned to make a proper hamburger and I have done it the same way since. I learned a lot of other things that summer also.

As I type this, waxing nostalgically on my unbridled youth, I am getting a hankering for a Hut Burger and a chicken basket. Those were the days. Sigh.

I'm going to third the Mini-Hut recommendation. I finally got around to trying it today, even though I've passed by it probably a hundred times in the last few years. The fried chicken is spot-on. Perfectly crispy light crust, juicy, a little bit on the salty side, but not objectionably so. To my tastes, it's the best fried chicken I've had in the Chicagoland area. As a poster above said, be prepared to wait 20-25 minutes for it to cook. If you're in the neighborhood, it's worth checking out.
  • Post #160 - August 29th, 2012, 8:16 am
    Post #160 - August 29th, 2012, 8:16 am Post #160 - August 29th, 2012, 8:16 am
    Any recommendations for good fried chicken in either the Loop or Lincoln Park/Lakeview area? I recently moved and haven't found anything I like. I have yet to check out Crisp yet though.
  • Post #161 - August 29th, 2012, 10:58 am
    Post #161 - August 29th, 2012, 10:58 am Post #161 - August 29th, 2012, 10:58 am
    JoeChicago wrote:Any recommendations for good fried chicken in either the Loop or Lincoln Park/Lakeview area? I recently moved and haven't found anything I like. I have yet to check out Crisp yet though.

If you can get together a group of people, the Southern will serve you an excellent family style fried chicken dinner.
  • Post #162 - October 8th, 2012, 3:54 pm
    Post #162 - October 8th, 2012, 3:54 pm Post #162 - October 8th, 2012, 3:54 pm
    jimswside wrote:since it appears we are expanding the boundries a little(including Wisconsin and all). I am a firm believer the best fried chicken in the area makes it home out in LaSalle County Illinois. SInce I have moved out here a few years ago I have tried numerous(10-15) different places that have had fried chicken head and shoulders above anything I ate in the city or suburbs(including Harolds, white fence, del rheas, Pricillas, etc.).

The two that are the best:

Rips Tavern
    Ladd, IL.

http://www.ripstavern.com

Smitty's
    Leonore, IL.

There is alot written about each on the beyond CHicago thread.

here is a pic of a 1/2 light fried chicken from Smitty's, who uses a broaster. 1/2 fried with choice of potato, bread stick, and salad bar on Wednesdays, and Saturdays... $6.50 I believe. Or the all you can eat option on those days with potato, salad bar, and pasta....$6.95. The best chicken I have had, and probably one of the best meal deals around. Rips is a close second to Smitty's.

So, I'm 3 years late to the party here but this is spot on.

I've lived in Chicago for 25 years and I've searched hither and yon for any place in the Chicago area that does great fried chicken with no success. I've tried White Fence and Dell Rhea and Harold's and others with disappointment. My favorite is actually Chicken N' Spice in Joliet but probably more for the hot sauce and I generally just get the chicken chunks there rather than the actual chicken pieces.

But, IMO, Rip's Chicken is still the gold standard in northern Illinois and I dare say that there are 15 places in and around that area that do fried chicken better than anything here - as jimswside has mentioned.

I'll throw another name in there for you. Sip N' Snack just outside of Mendota, IL does an excellent fried chicken that I'd put just a notch below Rip's but still very good.
  • Post #163 - October 8th, 2012, 7:32 pm
    Post #163 - October 8th, 2012, 7:32 pm Post #163 - October 8th, 2012, 7:32 pm
    Good call doc. Nice chicken picks as well.

I wrote up sip n snack a few months ago in the beyond chicago section.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35003&hilit=mendota
  • Post #164 - October 14th, 2012, 5:11 pm
    Post #164 - October 14th, 2012, 5:11 pm Post #164 - October 14th, 2012, 5:11 pm
    I was not going to cook today so when I was at Ultra foods, I got two fried chicken breasts. Very good. Crunchy and crispy but I think you have to hit it right when its fresh. I have not tried Harolds or any of the other independent places because they are not near me. I do like Popeyes chicken and years ago Browns chicken was good but I find it too bland now. The Jewel has some decent fried chicken in a pinch. I also like the Great Escapes fried chicken but its broasted. Yummy. I do not like KFC, Dell Rhea or White Fence Farm.

Also the cafeteria in the board of trade building has some decent fried chicken. Order the chicken, real mashed potatoes and gravy and their mixed vegetables and that is a lunch fit for a king. You will need a nap after that.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #165 - October 14th, 2012, 9:44 pm
    Post #165 - October 14th, 2012, 9:44 pm Post #165 - October 14th, 2012, 9:44 pm
    For our yearly block party a few weeks ago, I waited too long before trying to order chicken from our nearby Jewel. They were booked up with some very large orders. Went to the Oak Park Popeye's instead. We ordered 150 pieces and were given fresh from the fryer, hot, larger(than the Colonel) chicken that everyone really enjoyed. Even the "golden agers" amongst us enjoyed the Popeye's mild chicken. I'll have no problem ordering the same next year.
  • Post #166 - October 15th, 2012, 8:07 am
    Post #166 - October 15th, 2012, 8:07 am Post #166 - October 15th, 2012, 8:07 am
    Every time I have picked up Popeyes chicken for a party its the first thing that vanishes. Seems that everyone loves fried chicken. I would like to try some of the independent chicken places but I do not think any are around my house.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #167 - October 15th, 2012, 8:17 am
    Post #167 - October 15th, 2012, 8:17 am Post #167 - October 15th, 2012, 8:17 am
    We have been to both Del Rhea's and White Fence Farm recently and were very disappointed in both - the chicken at both is batter-dipped (if I recall correctly) and I personally prefer a dredged-style coating, and the sides at both are mediocre at best (e.g. White Fence Farm serves instant mashed potatoes).

The best fried chicken that I've had in Chicago is at Chalkboard in Lincoln Square - I order it every time I've dined there.
  • Post #168 - October 15th, 2012, 3:05 pm
    Post #168 - October 15th, 2012, 3:05 pm Post #168 - October 15th, 2012, 3:05 pm
    Let me preface this by saying that I am an admitted Fried Chicken Snob. I don't mean this in a hostile way and I apologize to those I'm about to offend. But, I get almost physically ill when I hear discussions of great fried chicken and then hear the names of KFC, Popeyes, or Jewel.

I grew up eating excellent fried chicken. As a great food town, when I moved to Chicago as a youngin' I figured that I could find a solid replacement. I was wrong. I couldn't find anything. I got very excited one day when I read that the Daily Herald was going to give their list of Top 10 fried chicken places in the area on the upcoming Sunday. I waited, anxious with anticipation, only to find that #1 was Brown's and #2 was KFC.

Listen, I'll get some spicy chicken and fries from Popeye's as quick as anybody. And I'll strip to the waist and fight anyone if it will bring my Mardi Gras Mustard back.

But, I beg anyone that truly wants some good fried chicken to head west to the likes of Rip's and give it a shot. It would soothe my soul.
  • Post #169 - October 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm
    Post #169 - October 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm Post #169 - October 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm
    How is it possible that this thread was kicked up and there is still no mention of the fried chicken at Big Jones?

Best Fried Chicken in the State -- perhaps even north of the Mason Dixon.

IMHO.

Cheers.
  • Post #170 - October 15th, 2012, 4:33 pm
    Post #170 - October 15th, 2012, 4:33 pm Post #170 - October 15th, 2012, 4:33 pm
    ld111134 wrote:And I'll strip to the waist and fight anyone if it will bring my Mardi Gras Mustard back.

A recent trip to Willie Mae's and others in New Orleans as well as a new personal policy of ordering fried chicken at more upscale restaurants has left me with greater conflict when eating the pedestrian and yummy but vastly inferior product put out by chains, white fence, and even my favorite gas stations.

I used to not even consider eating Fried Chicken when dining out and while it is often not appropriate during my business meals I always give it strong consideration now.

Some recent Highlights, while not upscale, include Ina's at 1235 W Randolph St and Nickson’s Eatery 30 S La Grange Road. Inas was for breakfast and pretty darn good. Nickesons will offer it as a special on occasion and I will always order that when available.

As a life long fried chicken fiend I do recognize that most of the chicken I see is lacking and whole heatedly agree that others should make the effort to eat the good stuff.

On another note - and it has been years - but the best fried chicken I ever had was fried snapping turtle in a joint in Southern Michigan. I imaging the nature of the more flavorful muscular meat of the turtle helped or it could have been the charming man with the missing thumb and supreme deftness with a boning knife that made such an impression.
    “Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.”
    George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright (1856-1950)
  • Post #171 - October 18th, 2012, 10:57 am
    Post #171 - October 18th, 2012, 10:57 am Post #171 - October 18th, 2012, 10:57 am
    I think it's fair to distinguish between Southern Fried Chicken, which I think of as something shallow-fried in lard in a black pan, and the German-rooted Midwestern fried bird of White Fence and such. Similar to my appreciation of Lake Perch and Walleye, this Southern-raised kid has enjoyed many a fine chicken basket in Michigan and Wisconsin. Usually at the same places that have the good lake fish and understand the art of frying. If you are at a spot that caters to hunters and snowmobilers and see "allow 20 minutes" next to the chicken basket, it's a good bet. I do usually think of chicken from Springfield and/or Indy south as Southern, not Midwestern-German, correctly or not. Ripp's Ladd's, etc. seems like its own good thing.

Speaking of which, I really enjoyed a 1/4 bird spicy from The Roost truck yesterday. The breading doesn't hold up as anything like "crisp" given the constraints, but the bird and the taste were as good as any I've had in Chicago recently. I believe the guys running it are from Eastern NC.

http://theroostfoodtruck.com/
  • Post #172 - October 19th, 2012, 11:18 am
    Post #172 - October 19th, 2012, 11:18 am Post #172 - October 19th, 2012, 11:18 am
    I know that the chain is probably nothing more than a made up Roundy's, but has anyone tried the fried chicken at Mariano's Fresh Market yet? It looked pretty good (although fried chicken always looks good).

I was in Colorado a couple of weeks ago at a King Sooper's grocery store. They feature Chester's Fried Chicken, which I've seen on the road at some gas stations. I didn't have any, but I remember having it years ago and it was decent for fast food style. I just can't remember if I loved it or not!
    http://www.chestersinternational.com/

I've passed this one (in a gas station on the Frontage Rd off 94) a million times.

Chester Fried Chicken
    9017 120th Avenue
    Pleasant Prairie WI 53158
    (262) 857-9592

One place that I loved the homemade broasted fried chicken was The Babyback LTD in Northbrook. They closed a while ago and I have no idea if that recipe popped up anywhere else. Too bad since I now work 2 minutes from there!
  • Post #173 - October 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm
    Post #173 - October 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm Post #173 - October 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I know that the chain is probably nothing more than a made up Roundy's, but has anyone tried the fried chicken at Mariano's Fresh Market yet? It looked pretty good (although fried chicken always looks good).

The fried chicken from Mariano's Fresh Market is excellent. The breading is tasty and the chicken is always moist. I always pick up a few pieces when I am nearby.
  • Post #174 - October 19th, 2012, 4:22 pm
    Post #174 - October 19th, 2012, 4:22 pm Post #174 - October 19th, 2012, 4:22 pm
    lsher wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I know that the chain is probably nothing more than a made up Roundy's, but has anyone tried the fried chicken at Mariano's Fresh Market yet? It looked pretty good (although fried chicken always looks good).

The fried chicken from Mariano's Fresh Market is excellent. The breading is tasty and the chicken is always moist. I always pick up a few pieces when I am nearby.

I tired it the other day and I'll agree, the breading was pretty good, if on the salty side.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #175 - October 22nd, 2012, 6:26 pm
    Post #175 - October 22nd, 2012, 6:26 pm Post #175 - October 22nd, 2012, 6:26 pm
    Binko wrote:
    metro man wrote:I have to second the Mini Hut recommendation. I grew up in the area and have been eating this chicken for over 30 years. As a disclaimer I had my first job at Mini Hut when it was at Archer and Austin where the Jewel is currently located. That was exactly 30 years ago this summer. My buddy Tony worked the fryer - chicken, shrimp and fish. I worked the front - dogs, tamales, beefs and burgers. This is where I learned to make a proper hamburger and I have done it the same way since. I learned a lot of other things that summer also.

As I type this, waxing nostalgically on my unbridled youth, I am getting a hankering for a Hut Burger and a chicken basket. Those were the days. Sigh.

I'm going to third the Mini-Hut recommendation. I finally got around to trying it today, even though I've passed by it probably a hundred times in the last few years. The fried chicken is spot-on. Perfectly crispy light crust, juicy, a little bit on the salty side, but not objectionably so. To my tastes, it's the best fried chicken I've had in the Chicagoland area. As a poster above said, be prepared to wait 20-25 minutes for it to cook. If you're in the neighborhood, it's worth checking out.

Mini Hut by a long shot for best chicken in Chicago for fried chicken. It takes awhile so I would recommond that you walk down to Archer ave then head west for 1/4 to Tom's Tap for a few cold ones while you wait for your freshly fried chicken. Tom's doesn't server food and welcome carry out in their bar. Mini hut will even deliever so you can have a clock watching free time sitting in the bar. I also recommend getting the fried mushrooms at Mini Hut. Get the 1lb order as if you get the 1/2 lb you will be wishing you got the 1lb.
  • Post #176 - October 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm
    Post #176 - October 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm Post #176 - October 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm
    Just had fried chicken at Real Urban BBQ in Vernon Hills. They said that they have it available today and tomorrow as a special. It is moist and has a light breading. They said they have it available at times as a special offering.
  • Post #177 - October 23rd, 2012, 6:17 pm
    Post #177 - October 23rd, 2012, 6:17 pm Post #177 - October 23rd, 2012, 6:17 pm
    Believe it or not, but I had some of Chicago's best fried chicken at Bavette's Bar & Beouf (the new French Bistro from Brendan Sodikoff - owner of Au Cheval, Maude's, and Gilt Bar) last weekend. Six pieces of dark meat, battered in a seasoned dredge, and expertly deep fried. Served with Crystal and a homemade buttermilk ranch. Unreal.

It is worth the trip (add the peppered duck and goat cheese terrine, a wedge, and the short-rib pappardelle while you are there). I also recommend sitting in the downstairs parlor in a red-leather booth. Enjoy.

Bavette's Bar and Boeuf
    218 W Kinzie St.
    Chicago, IL
  • Post #178 - October 25th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Post #178 - October 25th, 2012, 11:15 am Post #178 - October 25th, 2012, 11:15 am
    lsher wrote:Just had fried chicken at Real Urban BBQ in Vernon Hills. They said that they have it available today and tomorrow as a special. It is moist and has a light breading. They said they have it available at times as a special offering.
    Was is pretty good? How many pieces in an order? Was it made to order?
  • Post #179 - October 25th, 2012, 11:16 am
    Post #179 - October 25th, 2012, 11:16 am Post #179 - October 25th, 2012, 11:16 am
    stevez wrote:
    lsher wrote:

I tired it the other day and I'll agree, the breading was pretty good, if on the salty side.

I'll definitely check it out - thanks Isher and Steve.
  • Post #180 - October 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm
    Post #180 - October 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm Post #180 - October 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm
    Ram4 wrote:
    lsher wrote:Just had fried chicken at Real Urban BBQ in Vernon Hills. They said that they have it available today and tomorrow as a special. It is moist and has a light breading. They said they have it available at times as a special offering.
    Was is pretty good? How many pieces in an order? Was it made to order?

It was very good. You can get a half a chicken fried for about $7. It was not made to order, however, I have since been told that if you call them about 45 minutes before you arrive they will cook fried chicken for anybody even if they are not serving it that day.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more