LTH Home

First Post...

First Post...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • First Post...

Post #1 - September 5th, 2005, 10:38 am
    Post #1 - September 5th, 2005, 10:38 am Post #1 - September 5th, 2005, 10:38 am
    ...but long time lurker. Thanks to you fine folks I've decided to go and try Bruna's today. I called and they are open (Labor Day) so I'll go see how it is. I noticed that Rosebud gets little respect when the subject of Italian restaurants come up. Why is that? I've eaten at the original on Taylor St. and the one in the theater district and both have been good.

Good dining in my area is rather limited and yet I have 2 outstanding places that I frequent. Café Borgia, on Torrence Ave. in Lansing and Tiebels, Rt.30 and Rt 41 in Scherrerville, Indiana.

Again, I see nothing about either of those places. (I did a search) Is it that they are so far out that nobody has tried them?

Anyway, just wanted to get my feet wet and register. I look forward to many happy hours talking and reading about one of my favorite subjects, good food.
  • Post #2 - September 5th, 2005, 11:03 am
    Post #2 - September 5th, 2005, 11:03 am Post #2 - September 5th, 2005, 11:03 am
    A couple other places in Indiana you might want to try are Cafe Elise in Munster (on Ridge Rd) and Gino's Steak House in Dyer (corner of rt30 and Hart St).

Other interesting places include Ludwig's in Hammond (on Calumet Ave) and Warsaw Inn in Lynwood (on I believe Glenwood-Dyer Rd).

Mark
  • Post #3 - September 5th, 2005, 11:52 am
    Post #3 - September 5th, 2005, 11:52 am Post #3 - September 5th, 2005, 11:52 am
    Mark, thanks for the suggestions. Is the Gino's a new location for the place in Harvey? If so, that would be outstanding. I've never seen it there and I buy my cigs across the street.

Warsaw, I'm very familiar with and when I'm in need of heavy Polish food, I head there.

The others I haven't tried but will put them on my list.
  • Post #4 - September 5th, 2005, 11:53 am
    Post #4 - September 5th, 2005, 11:53 am Post #4 - September 5th, 2005, 11:53 am
    PJ Murphy wrote:

Again, I see nothing about either of those places. (I did a search) Is it that they are so far out that nobody has tried them?

You're right. I've seen nothing about them either. This is your chance to turn the board on to a new place that's been under the radar (at least to this board). There seem to be quite a few "undescovered" treasures on the Southeast side. Recently we have heard about Tacos el Pacifico and Pupuseria El Salvador across the street from it. I can't wait to hear about more places in that area.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - September 5th, 2005, 3:26 pm
    Post #5 - September 5th, 2005, 3:26 pm Post #5 - September 5th, 2005, 3:26 pm
    Yes, the Gino's in Dyer is run by the same family that owned the Gino's in Harvey. It's just off the SE corner of 30 and Hart in Dyer.

Cafe Borgia has been a favorite of mine for over a decade, I just wish they had remained BYOB. I also wish the Torrence Ave. construction would end so it would be easier to get there!

Teibel's brings back memories of my youth. It was a much more formal place back then (in the '70s), but they still serve the same great perch...

Mark
  • Post #6 - September 6th, 2005, 8:50 am
    Post #6 - September 6th, 2005, 8:50 am Post #6 - September 6th, 2005, 8:50 am
    Teibel's is good, but my family prefers Phil Schmidt's!!

We have had a couple of successful "a-thons" lately in the southern suburbs, the most recent being for ice cream at Plush Horse and Cunis and pizza at John's in Cal City. I'm proud to be showing our area off to my fellow LTHers.

Thanks for the tip on Gino's. We were planning to go there for my husband's birthday, but I wasn't sure it was the same owners. Now that we know, I plan to visit soon.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #7 - January 6th, 2007, 11:45 am
    Post #7 - January 6th, 2007, 11:45 am Post #7 - January 6th, 2007, 11:45 am
    I live very close to Gino's in Dyer and eat there pretty often.

1) The food is pretty good. They do amazing fish and I love their halibut. On holidays like Mother's Day they have a buffet brunch and put out some really good salmon then.

2) The actual owners are a local Greek family that also own a restaurant across the street called the Paragon. The Paragon is a basic Greek diner place with egg lemon soup and early bird specials. So I think that's where some of the Greek items on Gino's menu come from.

3) They don't have a kid menu per se but in spite of the cloth tablecloths its kid friendly. We've taken our two and just ordered them a chicken dish off of the menu to split. The waitstaff was very friendly and got us in and out quickly. Its nice to find a more upscale place with less processed food that is kid OK.

4) Dinners come with a choice between soup or salad. They put out bread and peppers when you first sit down. If you want more peppers, you have to buy them. The salads are not exceptional but they make their own dressings. They have a green colored ranch dressing and the Northwest Indiana standard creamy garlic.

We really like it and go there often. But its 5 minutes from my house so I don't know if I'd drive an hour to eat there or not!

Debby

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more