LTH Home

Who's Your Mama? Hoosier Mama Pie Company

Who's Your Mama? Hoosier Mama Pie Company
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 11
  • Post #241 - June 9th, 2013, 7:01 pm
    Post #241 - June 9th, 2013, 7:01 pm Post #241 - June 9th, 2013, 7:01 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:There also was cherry-rhubarb and plain rhubarb which was most excellent. Tart yet cloyingly sweet on some bites. Still my favorite pies and crust in the city. Outside of the biscuits, I don't get bang bang.


    I did not see the cherry rhubarb - I did get the apple rhubarb, which is delicious. I think I need to gather some friends together and sample all of the rhubarb variations. For science.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #242 - June 10th, 2013, 8:04 am
    Post #242 - June 10th, 2013, 8:04 am Post #242 - June 10th, 2013, 8:04 am
    My buddy aka Mr. Tilapia sneered @ the thought of anything but straight up rhubarb, wanting nothing sweet to pervert it's inner rhubarbness.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #243 - June 18th, 2013, 10:01 am
    Post #243 - June 18th, 2013, 10:01 am Post #243 - June 18th, 2013, 10:01 am
    The Apple Rhubarb was as delicious as expected, but it was the walnut crumble on top that put it over the top. Honestly, I was actually a bit disappointed at first that there was no top crust - because I so love the Hoosier Mama pie crust. But after tasting it with the crumble, my worries evaporated.

    I can't explain why it was better than any other crumble I've ever had, but it was. I would eat a bowl of that crumble for breakfast every day - and the fact that it comes attached to a pie is just an added bonus.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #244 - June 18th, 2013, 12:18 pm
    Post #244 - June 18th, 2013, 12:18 pm Post #244 - June 18th, 2013, 12:18 pm
    I had the pleasure of trying the cherry rhubarb this past weekend; it also had a crumble rather than a top crust. Not sure if it was the same topping as on the apple rhubarb but I too found the crumble (and the overall pie) outstanding. They had a nice selection at the Green City Market, but you do have to arrive early as they go fast! The vendor informed me often by 10:00am there is slim pickings (if any). I also enjoyed the sour cherry muffin and the savory lamb pie. Was a bit more difficult finishing my run though after consuming all the goodies.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #245 - June 18th, 2013, 12:46 pm
    Post #245 - June 18th, 2013, 12:46 pm Post #245 - June 18th, 2013, 12:46 pm
    incite brought a dutch apple pie from Hoosier Mama to the Montrose Beach BBQ on Saturday and it was fantastic. I don't even like apple pie but this was just creamy and fantastic.
  • Post #246 - June 18th, 2013, 2:05 pm
    Post #246 - June 18th, 2013, 2:05 pm Post #246 - June 18th, 2013, 2:05 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:The vendor informed me often by 10:00am there is slim pickings (if any). I also enjoyed the sour cherry muffin and the savory lamb pie. Was a bit more difficult finishing my run though after consuming all the goodies.


    That's the problem with buying from the GCM - if you go to Hoosier Mama first, then you end up carrying a pie around the entire time while browsing the other stalls. But if you wait until the end, they might not have your pie anymore.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #247 - June 18th, 2013, 2:13 pm
    Post #247 - June 18th, 2013, 2:13 pm Post #247 - June 18th, 2013, 2:13 pm
    Independent George wrote:
    Gonzo70 wrote:The vendor informed me often by 10:00am there is slim pickings (if any). I also enjoyed the sour cherry muffin and the savory lamb pie. Was a bit more difficult finishing my run though after consuming all the goodies.


    That's the problem with buying from the GCM - if you go to Hoosier Mama first, then you end up carrying a pie around the entire time while browsing the other stalls. But if you wait until the end, they might not have your pie anymore.


    It looks like they may be willing to hold a pie for you to pick up later in the day. While I was waiting to place my order the gentleman in front of me asked if he could return in 30 minutes to pick up his pies and was obliged (not sure if they made an exception for him, or if they routinely honor such a request). Definitely larger selection in house than at GCM, but if you arrive early there is fairly good variety. I am often jogging in the vicinity of GCM on Saturdays, so it is convenient for me to make a pit stop towards the end of my run (and provides me with something to look forward to during the early part of the run).
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #248 - June 18th, 2013, 5:16 pm
    Post #248 - June 18th, 2013, 5:16 pm Post #248 - June 18th, 2013, 5:16 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:
    Independent George wrote:
    Gonzo70 wrote:The vendor informed me often by 10:00am there is slim pickings (if any). I also enjoyed the sour cherry muffin and the savory lamb pie. Was a bit more difficult finishing my run though after consuming all the goodies.


    That's the problem with buying from the GCM - if you go to Hoosier Mama first, then you end up carrying a pie around the entire time while browsing the other stalls. But if you wait until the end, they might not have your pie anymore.


    It looks like they may be willing to hold a pie for you to pick up later in the day. While I was waiting to place my order the gentleman in front of me asked if he could return in 30 minutes to pick up his pies and was obliged (not sure if they made an exception for him, or if they routinely honor such a request). Definitely larger selection in house than at GCM, but if you arrive early there is fairly good variety. I am often jogging in the vicinity of GCM on Saturdays, so it is convenient for me to make a pit stop towards the end of my run (and provides me with something to look forward to during the early part of the run).

    Last year I was in my car about 30 min. away and asked them to hold a pie for me to pick up in 30 min. because there was only 1 pie left of the type I wanted. They refused to hold the pie for me. Maybe it depends on whom you talk to.
  • Post #249 - June 18th, 2013, 5:38 pm
    Post #249 - June 18th, 2013, 5:38 pm Post #249 - June 18th, 2013, 5:38 pm
    According to multiple impeccable sources, Hoosier Mama is opening a shop in Evanston, in a brand-new building that also houses a very upscale apartment complex. Location: on Chicago Avenue between Kedzie & Keeney, just south of Main St., exceedingly close to both the Main St. Metra & CTA stations. Sweet! 8)
  • Post #250 - June 18th, 2013, 7:12 pm
    Post #250 - June 18th, 2013, 7:12 pm Post #250 - June 18th, 2013, 7:12 pm
    shorty wrote:Last year I was in my car about 30 min. away and asked them to hold a pie for me to pick up in 30 min. because there was only 1 pie left of the type I wanted. They refused to hold the pie for me. Maybe it depends on whom you talk to.

    It probably depends more on if you call in from the road or are actually there in person buying a pie. I could see them not wanting to hold a pie for someone who isn't there to purchase it. They'd have no idea if the person on the phone would actually show up to make the purchase. Otoh, a purchased and held pie requires no leap of faith for the seller. If the person who paid for it doesn't return, it's already sold.

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #251 - June 19th, 2013, 8:03 am
    Post #251 - June 19th, 2013, 8:03 am Post #251 - June 19th, 2013, 8:03 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Otoh, a purchased and held pie requires no leap of faith for the seller. If the person who paid for it doesn't return, it's already sold.

    =R=

    Indeed, I wish they would do that. Hoosier Mama is nowhere near me, so I would be grateful if they took my credit card number and held the pie, with the caveat that it would be put back up for sale if I didn't pick it up 60 minutes before closing time. In that case, it would be my own fault for not planning well, instead of just not getting there before everything sells out.
    Maybe we can convince them to open a shop at 35th & State. Pie after a game or stressful finals? Seems like a boon to me.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #252 - June 19th, 2013, 8:17 am
    Post #252 - June 19th, 2013, 8:17 am Post #252 - June 19th, 2013, 8:17 am
    Pie Lady wrote:Indeed, I wish they would do that. Hoosier Mama is nowhere near me, so I would be grateful if they took my credit card number and held the pie, with the caveat that it would be put back up for sale if I didn't pick it up 60 minutes before closing time. In that case, it would be my own fault for not planning well, instead of just not getting there before everything sells out.


    But isn't that essentially the same as just placing an order online? The only difference is placing the order on the day of, instead of two days before and having it made to order.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #253 - June 19th, 2013, 8:34 am
    Post #253 - June 19th, 2013, 8:34 am Post #253 - June 19th, 2013, 8:34 am
    It is basically the same. But sometimes you need to pick something up at the last minute, or you know you'll be in the area later in the day, but pies usually sell out quick. Online orders need to be placed 2 days in advance.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #254 - June 19th, 2013, 1:22 pm
    Post #254 - June 19th, 2013, 1:22 pm Post #254 - June 19th, 2013, 1:22 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:It is basically the same. But sometimes you need to pick something up at the last minute, or you know you'll be in the area later in the day, but pies usually sell out quick. Online orders need to be placed 2 days in advance.


    Good point. I do understand not holding it, though; I can imagine how frustrating it would be for a customer to go to the shop, and not be able to buy X pie because they were all held by people who may or may not show up later. In a way, everybody loses out on the no-show - the person who pays for a phantom pie, the customer turned away, and the shop that has to dispose of inventory.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #255 - June 19th, 2013, 1:30 pm
    Post #255 - June 19th, 2013, 1:30 pm Post #255 - June 19th, 2013, 1:30 pm
    If the pie's already paid for, they can make even more by selling day-old no-shows for half price. I'd buy 'em.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #256 - June 19th, 2013, 1:43 pm
    Post #256 - June 19th, 2013, 1:43 pm Post #256 - June 19th, 2013, 1:43 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:If the pie's already paid for, they can make even more by selling day-old no-shows for half price. I'd buy 'em.


    Not if I get there first.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #257 - June 19th, 2013, 1:57 pm
    Post #257 - June 19th, 2013, 1:57 pm Post #257 - June 19th, 2013, 1:57 pm
    Hi- Well pie lady you will probably be glad when the Evanston store opens up. I am not sure when that is going to be though. It is going to be too tempting for me though when it opens up. It sounds like they are going to be selling good coffee along with the pie too.
  • Post #258 - June 20th, 2013, 1:59 pm
    Post #258 - June 20th, 2013, 1:59 pm Post #258 - June 20th, 2013, 1:59 pm
    As per Chicago Magazine Dish email newsletter
    6/19/13

    Have your pie and drink coffee with it too. Dollop Coffee & Tea Co. (4181 N. Clarendon Ave., 773-360-1366) and Hoosier Mama Pie Company (1618 W. Chicago Ave., 312-243-4846) plan to combine forces for a third time when they open in the new AMLI Residential building at 737 Chicago Avenue in Evanston. Paula Haney, Hoosier Mama herself, says they must be up and running by October 1 to be ready for Thanksgiving Day orders.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #259 - June 20th, 2013, 2:19 pm
    Post #259 - June 20th, 2013, 2:19 pm Post #259 - June 20th, 2013, 2:19 pm
    Don't bother GoogleMapping this - it shows 737 Chicago, Evanston, in Oak Park. :?:
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #260 - June 20th, 2013, 2:43 pm
    Post #260 - June 20th, 2013, 2:43 pm Post #260 - June 20th, 2013, 2:43 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Don't bother GoogleMapping this - it shows 737 Chicago, Evanston, in Oak Park. :?:


    I get a map with the correct address in Evanston when I try it.
  • Post #261 - June 20th, 2013, 5:09 pm
    Post #261 - June 20th, 2013, 5:09 pm Post #261 - June 20th, 2013, 5:09 pm
    Hi- The new Hoosier Mama place is going to be located on the East side of Chicago Avenue, approximately a half block South of Main in Evanston. This is the neighborhood where Custer Street Fair takes place every year. It is also near Oceanique, and the Main L stop.
  • Post #262 - June 20th, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Post #262 - June 20th, 2013, 5:44 pm Post #262 - June 20th, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Hi- The new Hoosier Mama place is going to be located on the East side of Chicago Avenue, approximately a half block South of Main in Evanston. This is the neighborhood where Custer Street Fair takes place every year. It is also near Oceanique, and the Main L stop.


    As noted above:

    Location: on Chicago Avenue between Kedzie & Keeney, just south of Main St., exceedingly close to both the Main St. Metra & CTA stations.


    It will be in the AMLI Evanston apartment complex; estimated opening is now October 2013.
  • Post #263 - June 22nd, 2013, 8:10 pm
    Post #263 - June 22nd, 2013, 8:10 pm Post #263 - June 22nd, 2013, 8:10 pm
    I picked up a strawberry pie today at the GCM. Holy Cats.

    Such delightful pie. I am so happy they're moving to Evanston, which is so much closer to me.
  • Post #264 - June 23rd, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Post #264 - June 23rd, 2013, 2:34 pm Post #264 - June 23rd, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Got the vinegar chess at GCM yesterday; the vinegar wasn't noticeable, which was too bad, as it was really much too sweet.
  • Post #265 - June 24th, 2013, 5:55 am
    Post #265 - June 24th, 2013, 5:55 am Post #265 - June 24th, 2013, 5:55 am
    annak wrote:Got the vinegar chess at GCM yesterday; the vinegar wasn't noticeable, which was too bad, as it was really much too sweet.

    I'm with you on this one. I've had vinegar chess pies before and made them (and love them). I don't think the vinegar should stand out that much in the pie, but I do think theirs masks the vinegar more than others because of the amount of sugar used.
  • Post #266 - June 25th, 2013, 9:36 pm
    Post #266 - June 25th, 2013, 9:36 pm Post #266 - June 25th, 2013, 9:36 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:My buddy aka Mr. Tilapia sneered @ the thought of anything but straight up rhubarb, wanting nothing sweet to pervert it's inner rhubarbness.


    For the Rhubarb-lovers on this site (and I know there are a few)... the awesomely-good Bendtsen's Bakery (home of the greatest kringles in the continental USA) is currently making a summer-special Rhubarb Kringle, and also a Rhubarb-and-Custard Kringle.. (apparently home-made in small batches etc)...

    If youre up that way (and I plan on being sometime soon), I'll bet its worth a try.

    c8w
  • Post #267 - June 25th, 2013, 9:43 pm
    Post #267 - June 25th, 2013, 9:43 pm Post #267 - June 25th, 2013, 9:43 pm
    c8w wrote:For the Rhubarb-lovers on this site (and I know there are a few)... the awesomely-good Bendtsen's Bakery (home of the greatest kringles in the continental USA) is currently making a summer-special Rhubarb Kringle, and also a Rhubarb-and-Custard Kringle.. (apparently home-made in small batches etc)...

    If youre up that way (and I plan on being sometime soon), I'll bet its worth a try.

    c8w

    Love that place and you can add Tenuta's and Wells Brothers to your itinerary . . .

    =R=

    Bendtsen's Bakery
    3200 Washington Ave
    Racine, WI 53405
    (262) 633-0365

    Tenuta's Deli
    3203 52nd St
    Kenosha, WI 53144
    (262) 657-9001

    Wells Brothers Restaurant
    2148 Mead St
    Racine, WI 53403
    (262) 632-4408
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #268 - July 1st, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Post #268 - July 1st, 2013, 3:44 pm Post #268 - July 1st, 2013, 3:44 pm
    My weekend, by the numbers:

    # of people in George's household: 1
    # of HMPC Strawberry-Rhubarb pies in household on Saturday morning: 1
    # of HMPC Strawberry-Rhubarb pies in household on Sunday night: 0
    # of things eaten besides pie over the weekend: 2

    Anybody know when the blueberry pies come out?
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #269 - July 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm
    Post #269 - July 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm Post #269 - July 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm
    Uh-oh....wonder where that pie went?

    Thanks for asking about the blueberry pies; I've been curious, too!
  • Post #270 - August 16th, 2013, 5:08 am
    Post #270 - August 16th, 2013, 5:08 am Post #270 - August 16th, 2013, 5:08 am
    I am not sure if this should go in the Shopping and Cooking forum. In any case, Paula Haney has released a new cookbook: The Hoosier Mama Book of Pie: Recipes, Techniques, and Wisdom from the Hoosier Mama Pie Company.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more