The Best Fried Chicken in Chicagoland?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 12
  • Post #241 - July 17th, 2013, 9:03 pm
    Post #241 - July 17th, 2013, 9:03 pm Post #241 - July 17th, 2013, 9:03 pm
    Spotted by some at Popeyes
  • Post #242 - July 25th, 2013, 2:44 pm
    Post #242 - July 25th, 2013, 2:44 pm Post #242 - July 25th, 2013, 2:44 pm
    I'll have to join the Pearl's camp. Mmmmmm tasty!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #243 - July 25th, 2013, 4:17 pm
    Post #243 - July 25th, 2013, 4:17 pm Post #243 - July 25th, 2013, 4:17 pm
    jimswside wrote:Man I'm not sure. I haven't seen the guy pan fry it with my own eyes so i will trust the sign until i know Better. The texture/density of the breading is similar to cast iron fried chicken i have had.

You can normally tell by the slightly darker brown spot where the chicken was resting on the pan while it fried. If it's not there, it probably wasn't pan fired.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #244 - July 27th, 2013, 8:42 am
    Post #244 - July 27th, 2013, 8:42 am Post #244 - July 27th, 2013, 8:42 am
    Map

<edit: Link fixed>
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on July 27th, 2013, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #245 - July 27th, 2013, 9:41 am
    Post #245 - July 27th, 2013, 9:41 am Post #245 - July 27th, 2013, 9:41 am
    Had Evanston Chicken shack last Weds night al fresco at Dawes Park while watching some great music. ECS absolutely killed, easily the best I've had there. Even Fifille demolished a bunch of drumsticks and she is not normally a fried chicken fan.
  • Post #246 - August 20th, 2013, 2:04 pm
    Post #246 - August 20th, 2013, 2:04 pm Post #246 - August 20th, 2013, 2:04 pm
    Franabanana wrote:While I wouldn't say Krispy Krunchy chicken is 5-star chicken, it's pretty solid 3-stars. The chicken itself has a base layer of red pepper spice under the crust. The crust is crunchy (Krunchy?) and not greasy. The only issue I find is that the chicken is not made to order. Sometimes you get very fresh chicken, other times not so much. They are super nice there so I'm sure they would make to order on request.

Not sure Krispy Krunchy (Skokie) really ever belonged in this particular thread, but the point is now moot.
    Went for lunch today; sign on door says "Closed for Business."
    Next door is a business run by a relative of the franchisees; he said they have no plans to re-open.
  • Post #247 - August 27th, 2013, 9:58 am
    Post #247 - August 27th, 2013, 9:58 am Post #247 - August 27th, 2013, 9:58 am
    I went to Bub City last week for lunch and while I had a quibble or two about the food here and there -- the fried chicken was pretty great. Yummy, flavorful crust, moist, well-seasoned chicken -- big portion for $14 (I think it was $14) and it was very satisfying. I wouldn't say it's the equal of the Big Jones extravaganza chicken but it was mighty tasty. They'll serve it to you with a buffalo sauce too, if you want. Very Tennessee of them. I had the sauce on the side and it was tasty, but I also liked their spicy bbq sauce too. Mac and cheese was yummy too.

If you're of a mind to drink -- they sure do have an excellent list of bourbons.

Bub City
    435 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60654
    Phone:(312) 610-4200
  • Post #248 - October 21st, 2013, 11:32 am
    Post #248 - October 21st, 2013, 11:32 am Post #248 - October 21st, 2013, 11:32 am
    jfibro wrote:I'm not sure how long they've been offering it, but last night at Frontier the special was $12 Fried Chicken, Cheddar & House Smoked Ham Hock Biscuits (4 pieces, biscuit and small side of slaw).

Not only was this a steal, it was some of the best fried chicken I've ever had. Incredible corn meal crust with a touch of heat, coating 4 perfectly cooked pieces of meat with a small side of syrup. The biscuit was as decadent and delicious as it sounds. If they continue this special, it will become a regular Monday night dinner.

Fried chicken night is now on Sundays at Frontier, advertised as "Free Range Chicken". $35 gets you a whole bird, four bacon cheddar biscuits. mash with chicken giblet gravy, and kale slaw. Still a good deal, about twice as much food as my wife and I could damage– they advertise the meal as feeding up to four, I'd say three with big appetites, but four would definitely leave sated with an app or two.

The chicken was good. A nice cornmeal-based crust, I'd wager deep-fried vs. pan (no telltale darker surfaces from pan contact, though the light is dim. Also, Da Beef's specimen looks a bit darker fried than what we were served). My biggest nit would be with their light hand with seasoning in the breading– the most discernible spice was a subdued garlic note which may have come from a brine. A small dipper of hot sauce– that we had to ask for– spiked things up a bit. However, we were somewhat ticked that we were upcharged 50¢ for "Jup's hot sauce" which tasted of Frank's more than something housemade by Chef Jupiter. The meat, itself, had a robust flavor, though was not as toothsome as some free range birds that I've cooked with. The cut of the pieces was somewhat unorthodox– wings served as just the separated "fling", drumsticks (with the long sturdy bone structure of a happy yard bird), smallish thighs (oyster-less), and breast cut in two, presumably "airline style" with the missing drumette (though I dove into my one breast piece without thinking about its structure). Generally, we appreciated the smaller sized bites, which made it easier to share. Best fried chicken in Chicago? Nah, good for the corn-meal breaded style and great to have within stumbling distance from my front door.

The sides veered toward great though. Those biscuits, about a half pound each and not skimping on the artery-clogging add ins were the star of the meal. The mash was good, very buttery and the chicken giblet gravy reminded me of my grandma's, on the thinner side, but dark, rich, and savory. The kale slaw was even damned good with a pronounced hot sauce-spiked heat.

This place has changed the vibe and demographic of my neighborhood for the worst, particularly on the weekends. Though late in the afternoon on gameday, the place was surprisingly civilized for a bar with 2 million flatscreens. Its the tucked-in shirt Friday and Saturday night trixie and chad crowd that obnoxiously clamor up and down my stretch of Milwaukee and are responsible for the gridlocking valet parking within a three block radius. A silver lining is that their good food helps to make up slightly for the shitty hordes this place attracts.
  • Post #249 - December 24th, 2013, 11:10 am
    Post #249 - December 24th, 2013, 11:10 am Post #249 - December 24th, 2013, 11:10 am
    try ginas on east side
  • Post #250 - December 24th, 2013, 11:20 am
    Post #250 - December 24th, 2013, 11:20 am Post #250 - December 24th, 2013, 11:20 am
    I just make West Town Tavern's (as per West Town Tavern cookbook) at home. It is actually pretty damn easy. Never good as WTT, but still better than 99% of Chicago's offerings.

Paramount Room and Frontier have excellent fried chicken, but both lack consistency.
  • Post #251 - December 26th, 2013, 8:38 am
    Post #251 - December 26th, 2013, 8:38 am Post #251 - December 26th, 2013, 8:38 am
    bigMO65 wrote:try ginas on east side

Gina's @ 3415 e. 106th ?

On my short list of spots to hit.
  • Post #252 - December 26th, 2013, 7:00 pm
    Post #252 - December 26th, 2013, 7:00 pm Post #252 - December 26th, 2013, 7:00 pm
    jimswside wrote:

Gina's @ 3415 e. 106th ?

I had a bird from Gina's Chicken, though it was some years ago. I recall it being a good version of thickly-breaded, deep-fried chicken. Not unlike what's served at Hienie's and Loncar's (though I can't say it's better). I think they even serve the same bright orange, mustardy hot sauce (Quality Brand) that looks like it could be used to paint warning signs on pavement. Gina's has been around quite a while, maybe 20 years, so that's encouraging. I'd love to hear a new report. I've been meaning to get back to Gina's but somehow with Hienie's and Loncar's so close, I haven't gotten around to it.

Gina's Chicken
    3415 E 106th St
    Chicago
    773-375-5580
  • Post #253 - December 27th, 2013, 8:22 am
    Post #253 - December 27th, 2013, 8:22 am Post #253 - December 27th, 2013, 8:22 am
    Rene G wrote:
    jimswside wrote:

Gina's @ 3415 e. 106th ?

I had a bird from Gina's Chicken, though it was some years ago. I recall it being a good version of thickly-breaded, deep-fried chicken. Not unlike what's served at Hienie's and Loncar's (though I can't say it's better). I think they even serve the same bright orange, mustardy hot sauce (Quality Brand) that looks like it could be used to paint warning signs on pavement. Gina's has been around quite a while, maybe 20 years, so that's encouraging. I'd love to hear a new report. I've been meaning to get back to Gina's but somehow with Hienie's and Loncar's so close, I haven't gotten around to it.

Gina's Chicken
    3415 E 106th St
    Chicago
    773-375-5580

ha, figured you had been.

I was actually in the area this past Sunday and even called and asked their hours. Now that I hear they have the "orange sauce" I am disappointed in myself for not checking it out.
  • Post #254 - March 24th, 2014, 12:45 pm
    Post #254 - March 24th, 2014, 12:45 pm Post #254 - March 24th, 2014, 12:45 pm
    All this talk of our fried chicken renaissance got me in the mood for some artisanal yardbird. Thanks to this thread I knew just where to go. Pan fried (yes, indeed!), $1.35 for a leg, $1.19 per thigh—can't beat that with a stick.

Topnotch, tasty bird; best of all, no vulgar/offensive hip hop and old issues of Better Homes and Gardens are available for your enjoyment while you wait.

Lee's Carry Out
    610 Burnham Av
    Calumet City IL
    708-891-3200
    Tue-Thu 4pm-8pm, Fri 11:30am-9pm, Sat-Sun noon-8pm, closed Mon
  • Post #255 - March 26th, 2014, 9:07 pm
    Post #255 - March 26th, 2014, 9:07 pm Post #255 - March 26th, 2014, 9:07 pm
    I love that you can get 1000 pieces for when you're really hungry.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #256 - March 31st, 2014, 6:01 am
    Post #256 - March 31st, 2014, 6:01 am Post #256 - March 31st, 2014, 6:01 am
    JeffB wrote:Speaking of which, I really enjoyed a 1/4 bird spicy from The Roost truck yesterday. The breading doesn't hold up as anything like "crisp" given the constraints, but the bird and the taste were as good as any I've had in Chicago recently. I believe the guys running it are from Eastern NC. http://theroostfoodtruck.com/

The Roost will soon have a roost of its own, with a new storefront location set to open next week.

http://chicagoist.com/2014/03/28/first_ ... hp#photo-1

The Roost Carolina Kitchen
    1467 W. Irving Park Rd.
    Chicago, IL 60613
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #257 - March 31st, 2014, 12:38 pm
    Post #257 - March 31st, 2014, 12:38 pm Post #257 - March 31st, 2014, 12:38 pm
    Leghorn and now Roost. It's a good day for chicken biscuit lovers! I hope they catch on, because so many people around here think having fried chicken in the morning is weird (and I somewhat agree), but on a biscuit, it's the best.
  • Post #258 - April 4th, 2014, 3:19 pm
    Post #258 - April 4th, 2014, 3:19 pm Post #258 - April 4th, 2014, 3:19 pm
    i had 2 fried chicken sandwiches this week. the first, at Leghorn, the second at The Roost. the Leghorn pickle brined chicken thigh was delicious, the Roost spicy brined chicken was alright, but the breading came off easily and wasn't at all crispy (i took it home, did not eat-in at either places), nor was it spicy. (the roost also offers a spicier choice, the nashville 'hot', as does leghorn). i ended up eating the leghorn chicken as an open faced sandwich as the house made bun, while delicious, was a little too chewy and overwhelmed the chicken. the hush puppies were as fantastic as others have reported. at the roost i picked 2 delicious sides, mac'n'cheese, and peach cobbler. i appreciated that the mac'n'cheese was made with fusilli, as i loathe elbow macaroni and never cook with it myself. the cobbler was just a very small dollop, which i think makes the $9 charge for the 3 items a little pricey. the sandwich and 2 sides is a menu choice. i'm hoping a single serving of the cobbler, priced, i believe at $4, would be much bigger. the styrofoam take out container was lined with an attractive sheet of red/white checked paper, which melted into the mac'n'cheese and cobbler, and would be better used as a liner only under the chicken. i picked the tender, crumbly, house made biscuit for my sandwich, topped with pickle and vinegar coleslaw. as expected, it fell apart almost immediately, so i ate it as a side, the 'idea' of a chicken sandwich on a biscuit is much better than the reality, IMO. i'd say after just 1 visit, that i definitely preferred the Leghorn chicken, but i'm happy to see them both as modestly priced additions to the chicago food scene.
  • Post #259 - March 1st, 2015, 7:01 pm
    Post #259 - March 1st, 2015, 7:01 pm Post #259 - March 1st, 2015, 7:01 pm
    Evanston's The Chicken Shack makes Thrillist's list of top 21 fried chicken places in the country. Why has it been so long since I visited? Also a place in Millwaukee that I have yet to try called Tomkens. Does anyone who has visited here agree? 8001 W. Greenfield Ave. (Which is actually West Allis.)
    http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/21- ... in-america
  • Post #260 - July 24th, 2016, 7:40 pm
    Post #260 - July 24th, 2016, 7:40 pm Post #260 - July 24th, 2016, 7:40 pm
    Da Beef wrote:When asked about where one can get some good fried chicken in the Region I was never able to give a confident answer. I'm not big on Teibel's and it's not just not as common around the area like it it is further down state. There was always this one place I'd wanted to try but was never riding by when the chance to do so allowed. A while back I was with jimswside not far from Lee's Carry Out and decided to make it finally happen.

A wonderful spot in Calumet City frying up gold

We were one of a few sets waiting and the others had been talking about it like they'd been going for a while. One longtime regular got worried when the proprietor asked if we thought his place would be popular in the city? "Maybe around Chinatown?" Where some Chinese businessmen told him to go and make dough. Convo started when he told me how it'd been years since the last time someone took a picture of his place. That was a Scout from the mini-chain Lee's Chicken who was prospecting the area. Because Lee's Carry-Out had been there long (over 40 years) there was nothing the chain could do. Hell yeah! As to his question about the chicken being able to sell in the city? Without a doubt.

Fried Chicken Box

Since Cal City is a suburb I cant call this the best fried chicken in Chicago but can say its best in the 'land. That's what I said when I ate a leg that was lightly breaded but still had serious crunch with juices popping out when I bit in. Waiting as the owner took orders and went in back to coat, toss and fry it, you knew something good was coming. Order a box and you're gifted with cole-slaw which packs a black pepper punch, a warm roll and fresh made perfectly fried golden crinkle cut fries. The man has a gift because the lake perch was on point as well. Mini-Hut and the rest have a new contender, he just so happens to have been around for a while.

Image Image
    Old School

Lee's Chicken Carry Out
    610 Burnham Ave
    Calumet City, IL 60409
    (708) 891-3200

Lee's is moving to 8350 Hohman Ave, Munster, IN 46321 in the space occupied by the totally forgettable Avia of Munster. 
  • Post #261 - July 28th, 2016, 9:48 am
    Post #261 - July 28th, 2016, 9:48 am Post #261 - July 28th, 2016, 9:48 am
    Ms. T's Fried Chicken
    3343 N Broadway

I'm not sure when it opened up (I think the space used to be an ice cream shop), but Ms. T's is excellent. It can be an uncomfortable wait in the summer (all food is cooked to order and there's no air conditioning inside), but this easily counts among the best fried chicken I've had in Chicago. Gizzards, giblets, and livers are on the menu.

I'll try to post pictures when I'm not such a lazy bastard.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #262 - July 28th, 2016, 12:03 pm
    Post #262 - July 28th, 2016, 12:03 pm Post #262 - July 28th, 2016, 12:03 pm
    Ms. T's is associated with Harolds.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2016/06/har ... thern.html
  • Post #263 - July 28th, 2016, 1:23 pm
    Post #263 - July 28th, 2016, 1:23 pm Post #263 - July 28th, 2016, 1:23 pm
    dagrassroots wrote:Ms. T's is associated with Harolds.

Even more reason to love them!
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #264 - July 30th, 2016, 7:48 am
    Post #264 - July 30th, 2016, 7:48 am Post #264 - July 30th, 2016, 7:48 am
    Step aside everyone....I have found THE PLACE for chicken. Introducing The Village Courtyard in Somonauk IL. Check it out: http://www.eatmoregeorge.com/#!restaurant/crrl. Their claim to fame is Chicken George. However I got the buttermilk battered, deep fried chicken breast topped with pecans and drizzled with honey. I can't wait to go back!
  • Post #265 - July 30th, 2016, 9:01 am
    Post #265 - July 30th, 2016, 9:01 am Post #265 - July 30th, 2016, 9:01 am

Or, as I understand it, the owners of Ms. T's were formerly associated with Harold's. I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's any current connection.

From Ms. T's Facebook page, it seems they now serve deep-fried biscuits. That would be just the thing to go with your dark half and fries.

razbry wrote:Step aside everyone....I have found THE PLACE for chicken. Introducing The Village Courtyard in Somonauk IL. Check it out: http://www.eatmoregeorge.com/#!restaurant/crrl. Their claim to fame is Chicken George.

Village Courtyard's slogan is "Home of Chicken George," but Candlelight Inn in Sterling claims to be "Home of the Original Chicken George." So who was the first around here to sell these upscale McNuggets?

• Post #266 - August 10th, 2016, 3:01 pm
    Post #266 - August 10th, 2016, 3:01 pm Post #266 - August 10th, 2016, 3:01 pm
    Independent George wrote:Ms. T's Fried Chicken
    3343 N Broadway

I'm not sure when it opened up (I think the space used to be an ice cream shop), but Ms. T's is excellent. It can be an uncomfortable wait in the summer (all food is cooked to order and there's no air conditioning inside), but this easily counts among the best fried chicken I've had in Chicago. Gizzards, giblets, and livers are on the menu.

I'll try to post pictures when I'm not such a lazy bastard.

Rene G wrote:

Or, as I understand it, the owners of Ms. T's were formerly associated with Harold's. I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's any current connection.

From Ms. T's Facebook page, it seems they now serve deep-fried biscuits. That would be just the thing to go with your dark half and fries.

I don't think there's any current connection but after eating a six piece wing, there's little doubt there's a former connection. I would pretty much sum this up as Harold's with care. You can taste the love so to say. Biggest difference is in the spuds. Ms. T is making fresh cut fries which still go great when combined with a deboned flat wing and made into a fling.

ImageSix Piece Wings

Hot and Mild sauces on the side was by choice which I wanted so I could first taste the chicken as is. Although I'm addicted to the flavor of that sauce combo those who are not will still get some nice spice out of this chicken. Put another one on the board for Broadway which is suddenly Chicago's best fried chicken strip. Thanks for the tip.

ImagePreparing for a fling

Ms. T's Fried Chicken
    3343 N Broadway St
    Chicago, IL 60657
    (773) 728-2500
  • Post #267 - August 11th, 2016, 12:14 pm
    Post #267 - August 11th, 2016, 12:14 pm Post #267 - August 11th, 2016, 12:14 pm
    I just bought a Groupon deal for Harold's this morning. https://www.groupon.com/deals/harold-s- ... -west-loop
    $24 for $45 worth of food and drink in the form of three Groupons, each worth $15, seems like a pretty nice deal. IF I can just remember to use them before they expire!
  • Post #268 - November 4th, 2017, 11:10 am
    Post #268 - November 4th, 2017, 11:10 am Post #268 - November 4th, 2017, 11:10 am
    Based on a couple of reports in the "Where Do You Go Regularly" thread, I decided to try Mother Cluckers earlier this week. It's at the corner of Foster & Elston, and though I pass it quite often, I've never bothered to give it a try.

Well, pretty damn good fried chicken (broasted, to be more precise). The bone-in chicken was beautifully moist and featured a delicate, well seasoned crust. Fries were decent enough skin-on fries but a little more limp than I typically prefer. I'll order them extra crispy on my next visit. I liked the beans, which were a little on the sweet side but that sweetness was offset some by bacon. The biscuit was overworked, more similar to a roll, and just not good. Hushpuppies can be substituted for the biscuit so there's no reason to try the biscuit.

But definitely try the fried chicken. Best? Not for me and nothing will replace Analogue's. But it's very respectable.
  • Post #269 - November 4th, 2017, 6:52 pm
    Post #269 - November 4th, 2017, 6:52 pm Post #269 - November 4th, 2017, 6:52 pm
    Mother Cluckers is supposed to be opening another store in Palatine, where long departed Hot Dog Richie's was.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #270 - November 5th, 2017, 8:29 am
    Post #270 - November 5th, 2017, 8:29 am Post #270 - November 5th, 2017, 8:29 am
    Excellent fried chicken (broasted) can be found at Joanie's Pizzeria of Long Grove. I have had it many times and it is juicy with an excellent breading. The broasted potatoes that come with the meal are fantastic as well.

http://www.joaniespizzerialonggrove.com/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more