LTH Home

Taco Mex on the Southeast side

Taco Mex on the Southeast side
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Taco Mex on the Southeast side

Post #1 - November 15th, 2008, 8:55 am
    Post #1 - November 15th, 2008, 8:55 am Post #1 - November 15th, 2008, 8:55 am
    I am a relatively new member of this fantastic site. In reviewing the threads on Mexican eateries in the City I failed to see one of my old favorites on the south east side of Chicago; Taco Mex at 107th & Torrence. Although great sit down Mexican food is always served, including carnitas and menudo on weekends, the specialty is home made tamales. Chicago magazine identified this establishment 2 years ago as one of their favorites for tamales. During the holidays, thousands of dozens of tamales are sold, including spicy pork in green tomatillo sauce, "mild" pork in red (chile de arbol) sauce, "rajas con queso"( cheese with peppers), chicken and cheese and beans and sweet (pineapple/raisins). Another specialty is the red (spicy) and green (mild) guisado de puerco, an absolutely great dish (I prefer to have this dish with eggs for breakfast on the weekends). The "Carne Oaxequena" is another favorite, slices of chargrilled steak, bacon, tomatoes, peppers, onions, bacon and Chihahua cheese. Al steak entrees are chargrilled. The Steak Burritos are huge and the chargrilled steak defenitely gives it an incredible flavor. Same with their steak tortas. The recipes are the prduct of Dona Teresa who prepares all sauces in the kitchen. This place is always crowded. During the week the place is full of Chicago policeman, troopers and locals. On the weekends you better get there early. I suspect that this favorite is still a relative secret because of their remote location. Good eating!

Taco Mex
    10658 S Torrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60617
    773-734-4321
  • Post #2 - November 15th, 2008, 4:41 pm
    Post #2 - November 15th, 2008, 4:41 pm Post #2 - November 15th, 2008, 4:41 pm
    Taco Mex is a fine little place despite its cheesy name. Their tamales are excellent but I believe they're only available on weekends and the popular ones sell out early. I recommend the carnitas, another weekend special, in a torta ahogado, one of the better versions around. I've also enjoyed their unusual green carne en su jugo with grilled knob onions. The owner is very proud of his hamburgers, in many varieties, which I have yet to try.

There's another Taco Mex in Northwest Indiana, run by a brother. I don't know if the food is the same but judging from the original restaurant it ought to be worth a try.

Taco Mex
    10658 S Torrence Av
    Chicago
    773-734-4321

Memo's Taco Mex
    2128 45th St
    Highland IN
    219-934-7300
  • Post #3 - November 15th, 2008, 9:43 pm
    Post #3 - November 15th, 2008, 9:43 pm Post #3 - November 15th, 2008, 9:43 pm
    Tamales are sold 6 days a week. Taco Mex is closed on Mondays. The Indiana location is owned by a brother of the owners of Taco Mex in Chicago. I agree with the post regarding the Carnitas tortas dipped in the spicy broth. Very good. You cant go wrong with anything on the menu in this joint.
  • Post #4 - April 7th, 2014, 12:31 pm
    Post #4 - April 7th, 2014, 12:31 pm Post #4 - April 7th, 2014, 12:31 pm
    You wouldn't know it unless you're driving by (still listed as closed on Yelp) but Taco Mex is back at it

Same owners, mostly the same menu. Unfortunately they've ditched the hamburgers but in good news, the world class tamales and crispy tacos remain, and they're as good as ever. Not sure why this place ever closed as I've been by twice since their reopening and each visit the place was filled with former regulars who were very happy to have it back.

Shrimp and Beef Tacos Dorados

Not sure if the shrimp taco dorados are a full-time menu item or a Lent special but they are special. Almost identical to the ones made by his brother at Memo's Taco-Mex in Northwest Indiana, mango salsa and all. Yes there's mango salsa in South Deering these days. The crispy tacos with ground beef are everything you want them to be if these are one of your guilty pleasures as they are mine. Finally tried the tamales this past weekend and man! It was a replica of the ones I used to eat from Taco Burrito Palace #2 way back when before I even reached my teens. Those are also one of the main reasons I fell in love with Mexican food and list it as my favorite cuisine here today. These had perfect texture, taste, perfect everything. I almost went back for more after eating two from the half dozen I bought. One of the reasons these are so good is because they're only sold on the weekends so they're always fresh and never dried out. The other reason is because they have a kick ass family recipe. Good to have them back.

Top Notch Tamales

Taco Mex
    10658 S Torrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60617
    (773) 734-4321*

*They may have a new number, this was the old one listed on yelp
  • Post #5 - April 7th, 2014, 12:52 pm
    Post #5 - April 7th, 2014, 12:52 pm Post #5 - April 7th, 2014, 12:52 pm
    We eat those tamales at every holiday meal--look forward to trying out this location!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #6 - April 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm
    Post #6 - April 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm Post #6 - April 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm
    Da Beef wrote:You wouldn't know it unless you're driving by (still listed as closed on Yelp) but Taco Mex is back at it

It's good to have Taco Mex back. I stopped in a few Saturdays ago but didn't order anything because I had several food stops ahead. The tamales tempted though. Here are their new hours in case anyone is interested.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more