LTH Home

Madison, WI Eats?

Madison, WI Eats?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - July 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am
    Post #151 - July 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am Post #151 - July 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am
    Clean Fill wrote:Probably too late since you posted this yesterday but next time while in Mukwonago stop by Sandy's Miller Time on Mainstreet and try the steakburger. Sandy's is about a mile North of the Elegant Fleecer (I mean farmer) on ES/Main Street. Thick cut melty Muenster cheese on a burger with some onions sauteed in Jack Daniels paired with spotted cow hits the spot. Gotta love the joints that have the grill at the end of the bar & a skilled double duty bartender/cook.
    You should post about this in the Burgers of Wisconsin thread ASAP.
  • Post #152 - August 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm
    Post #152 - August 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm Post #152 - August 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm
    I stayed in Madison after the Outstanding in the Field dinner a couple of weeks ago, and several of us hit Marigold Kitchen for breakfast the next morning. While the majority of our crowd was quite pleased, the couple of us who had the chilaquiles were quite disappointed - soft, limp chips, sunny side up eggs with the yolk cooked hard, and the salsa was on the bland side. On top of that, an overly sweet scone.

Very possible a couple of us just ordered wrong, so the above two items are the ones I wouldn't recommend.
  • Post #153 - October 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am
    Post #153 - October 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am Post #153 - October 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am
    Checked out Tory Miller (L'Etoile, Graze) latest venture Sujeo, which is his take on various Asian foods. There were some highlights but there is room for improvement.

Sichaun Beef Tongue Salad is a must try. It was incredible. Bursting with flavor and just the right amount of heat. I had never really understood the appeal of tongue (I've tried countless tongue tacos and they all have been really boring) but this dish just elevated it to the point that it was the best thing we had.

The Ramen was fairly decent but I had a couple of complaints. The broth, while good, lacked the depth and complexity you would find at a place like Santouka. The only other complaint was the pork belly seemed to be braised after it was cut and then grilled. It tasted great but it was very firm and you had to take it out of the bowl and take a bite. I prefer the unctuous, falling apart pork belly that you can basically cut with your chopstick. Overall it was pretty satisfying but could easily be improved on with better broth and pork belly preparation.

I loved the Korean Banchan (available as an app or with the Korean Broasted Chicken). Lots of fun pickles and fermented goodies.

I had a couple bites of a Rabbit Bibimbap. It was really good, my friend's only complaint was that it needed more meat. It was served in a hot stone bowl with a raw egg on top so you stirred it around and cooked the egg and crisped up the rice. I've had Miller's bibimbap at Graze (without the hot bowl) and I liked this serving idea better.

I loved the Khao Soi, which was chicken and noodles in a delicious coconut curry broth. It was mildly spicy. It was served with some crispy noodles on top, which added a nice crunchy balance.

They have a very limited and uninspired beer list. All those microbreweries in Madison and they only have one Madison area offering (Ale Asylum). The cocktails we tried were great.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #154 - October 3rd, 2014, 7:17 pm
    Post #154 - October 3rd, 2014, 7:17 pm Post #154 - October 3rd, 2014, 7:17 pm
    My husband and I go to Madison at least once a year, and the past two times we've eaten at Dobhan, an indian / middle eastern / mediterranean fusion place on Atwood Ave that also has Cuban and Mexican nights. Sounds a bit crazy, but there's a reason we went back to the same place instead of trying something new. ;) I even had the same entree twice because I had thought about it all year. lol

Crab Bonda - Pan seared potato crab cake with lemon aioli atop a pickled cabbage slaw. I wish I had a bowl of just the slaw!

Hubby's lamb kebab. Perfectly cooked, very tender, and not at all gamey.

My chicken tagine. One of the best things I've ever eaten.
  • Post #155 - August 18th, 2015, 10:37 am
    Post #155 - August 18th, 2015, 10:37 am Post #155 - August 18th, 2015, 10:37 am
    Was up in Madison last month for the annual American Girl benefit sale - :

Paul's Pel 'meni a must stop when in town imho

- impressed Shay chowed these and didnt blink at the hot sauce and curry going on - quite the taste buds for 8 Y.O.

First stop that day was actually Stalzys Deli right as they opened -

- had gotten in touch with them in advance to see if I could get a corned beef sandwich for breakfast vs traditional stuff - word was yes.

actually went with the Stalzys triple - corned beef, pastrami, turkey pastrami - swiss, slaw, Russian dressing -

yeah ... really good.

Stalzys Deli
    2701 Atwood Ave.
    Madison, WI.

http://www.stalzysdeli.com/

Also popped up to Fitz's on the Lake up in Lodi for supper - solid fish and chicken at that spot - lakefront dining on the deck - pretty perfect.

Fitz's on the Lake
    W11602 Co Road V
    Lodi, WI.

http://fitzsonthelake.com/

Also hit quite a few lakefront spots in trip back to Illinois -

not much better than summer in Wisco.

• Post #156 - August 18th, 2015, 7:43 pm
    Post #156 - August 18th, 2015, 7:43 pm Post #156 - August 18th, 2015, 7:43 pm
    jimswside wrote:Was up in Madison last month for the annual American Girl benefit sale - :

Paul's Pel 'meni a must stop when in town imho

- impressed Shay chowed these and didnt blink at the hot sauce and curry going on - quite the taste buds for 8 Y.O.

I scarfed down a plate of these on the ride home from a stay over by the big river a few weeks ago. My kind of comfort food– a treat perhaps forged smack dab in the blustery middle of the Silk Road ~or some 21st century college town version thereof~ sweet garlicky hot sauce (deceptively squirted from Sriracha bottles, though thinner and vinegary-er), curry, and cilantro on top of chewy little dumplings stuffed with simple meat 'n potatoes fillings and a side dipper of sour cream. Crave-worthy indeed!
  • Post #157 - August 20th, 2015, 7:30 am
    Post #157 - August 20th, 2015, 7:30 am Post #157 - August 20th, 2015, 7:30 am
    Next time I'm in Mad City!
    Thanks.-Richard
  • Post #158 - August 20th, 2015, 11:45 am
    Post #158 - August 20th, 2015, 11:45 am Post #158 - August 20th, 2015, 11:45 am
    Wow, what *are* those dumplings? Any ideas what a recipe would look like??

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #159 - August 20th, 2015, 12:01 pm
    Post #159 - August 20th, 2015, 12:01 pm Post #159 - August 20th, 2015, 12:01 pm
    Geo wrote:Wow, what *are* those dumplings? Any ideas what a recipe would look like??

Geo

Da Beef's got one right here.
  • Post #160 - August 31st, 2015, 9:38 am
    Post #160 - August 31st, 2015, 9:38 am Post #160 - August 31st, 2015, 9:38 am
    Having lived in Madison for a bit I will weigh in with the perspective of a poor graduate student. First, the food carts are the culinary highlight of the city, being surprisingly diverse for such a small city. At lunch time on State a large number gather, I really like the Peruvian one and the Thai one is very good as well, though it really depends on what the day's specials are.

Madison has surprisingly good Sichuan food. Fugu does excellent twice cooked pork, string beans and kidney dishes. Soga Shabu Shabu which is also on State Street does an amazing job too. Their big plate chicken is a must order with freshly hand pulled noodles and they have some kind of spicy lamb dish that is phenomenal as well. Sadly I can't recall the exact names and they were all on the poorly translated special menu. The real mystery is why their restaurant names are Japanese. Double 10 did very good Sichuan takeout.

Taj Indian was solid Indian with my orders a fruity peshwari naan and the mughlai curry. For non-Sichuan chinese Oriental House was good. Wah Kee Noodles does an impressive rendition of chinese wonton noodle soup with bbq pork and they had a special called bun ga which was a lip smacking good lime lemongrass noodle stir fry. Kabul and it's sister Husnu's did decent Mediterranean. Med Cafe on State street is often packed, lunch and cash only, but is something of an institution. I really enjoyed their special of chicken apricot pie, but not much else.

For finer dining, Forequarter was the only one I ate at twice, the first time was really spectacular for Madison. I did not like L'Etoile, Harvest was abysmal, Pig in a Fur Coat was trendy and banal, and I am probably missing some more. I thought Graze was ridiculously overhyped. Weary Traveller and Brasserie V do pub food better. Dotty's does a very good burger as already documented here.

Local chains to avoid: Banzo, terrible service and they can't put a sandwich together properly despite very good individual parts. I don't get the appeal of Ian's pizza at all. Poorly executed pizza with sometimes bizarre toppings. I think the novelty drives business more than the flavor.

I ate a lot of Capriotti's, their Capastrami and Italian are top notch and I can't wait until they get to Chicago.

Mexican was a moving target since a lot of our favorite places closed or degraded in quality. Habanero's used to to do very good tortas and great pickled jalapenos and there was a now defunct place that did amazing lengua in salsa verde. I only had one shot at La Taguara before I left, but it struck me as good and unique. I will also confess to a certain fondness for Laredo's for a fix of "hot-plate" Mexican.

Sorry for the rambling quality, I am dredging up old memories. I hope this was at least somewhat useful.
  • Post #161 - September 8th, 2015, 9:00 am
    Post #161 - September 8th, 2015, 9:00 am Post #161 - September 8th, 2015, 9:00 am
    Got up to Madison after some usual stops in Monroe and New Glarus - Got in a few new ones (for me) this trip in Madtown - Fist bite was for some lake perch - North and South Seafood and Smokehouse was the choice - Guess it used to called Joeys seafood -?

Lake perch was pretty stellar, that and i probably had the munchies something bad - went double starch, mashed and some sort of deep fried cheesey potato side :

Mad Town Fish Fry(Lake Perch - $14:

North and South
    6604 Mineral POint Rd.
    Madison, WI.

http://eatnorthandsouth.com/

Alright - those frickin Pel'meni are an addictive item - a must have - might have had my best version on this visit - Dumplings / fillings were more tender this visit -

Pauls Pel'Meni - Curry bomb -

Always on the hunt for fried shrimps I rolled over to Seafood Center - cool seafood market and carryout - many varieties of unfrozen fish. Plus plenty of gulf shrimp and crabs. - ill be back for sure.

5 piece jumbo shrimp snack -

Seafood Center
    712 S. Whitney Way
    Madison, WI.

http://www.seafoodcentermadison.com/

Im always after going to the "oldest" in town - hit The Malt House used to be called the Union House - allegedly served Civil War soliders before they departed Camp Randall - Old wooden back bar is impressive. Enjoyed a Potosi draft here for sure - No Miller, Coors, Bud etc. No pics - but a cool dive bar.

The Malt House
    2609 E. Washington
    Madison, WI.

http://malthousetavern.com/

Last stop, I think, was at another old spot - The Wonder Bar for 1 last Cow before rolling south. - Been around since 1929

Nice spot - old school - If I ever want another $6 Spotted Cow I know where to go... :wink:

The Wonder Bar
    222 E. Olin Ave.
    Madison, WI.

http://www.wonderbarmadison.com/

Always a fun time, got another couple spots to add to the regular rotation for visits up in Madison.
  • Post #162 - October 15th, 2015, 9:03 am
    Post #162 - October 15th, 2015, 9:03 am Post #162 - October 15th, 2015, 9:03 am
    I was up in Madison for work a couple weeks ago and checked out La Taguara, a Venezuelan restaurant on the east side. I was warmly welcomed by one of the employees who asked if I had been there before. I hadn't so I basically let her order for me. I ended up with Pabellon a Caballo, a traditional dish of shredded beef, killer black beans, some of the best plantains I have ever had, and an arepa. I also added the sunny side up egg on top, which she had also recommended. Everything was excellent, the beef was meltingly tender with a nice amount of seasoning. I got a side of their guasacaca sauce (garlic and cilantro) which helped contrast the quite rich and filling meal.

http://www.lataguara-madison.com/
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #163 - November 12th, 2015, 12:16 pm
    Post #163 - November 12th, 2015, 12:16 pm Post #163 - November 12th, 2015, 12:16 pm
    figured why let this one die in my drafts folder -

Been back and forth to Madison a few times this year - still barely scratched the surface of this cool town a little over 2 hours from home.

Foodwise, pretty sure im doing it right in regards to my daughter Shay - on Thursday the kid asked for Pel'meni as part of her crawl capping a weeklong celebration of her 9th b-day(other requests, crab, steak,, etc). - Madtown on Saturday was on.

First stop was for the Pel'meni, as good as ever, seriously the best bite around.

kids kind of grown up on lth, so a shay shot - she digs the pel'meni with extra sour cream & alot of curry.

Crabs... in Madtown... North & South mentioned a bit upthread has a kids meal - $9.75 for a nice cluster of crabs - Plus I could get some lake perch and some Spotted Cows - yep, next stop.

no pics of crabs, they are what they are - a tasty portion at that..

Lake Perch fry was on my mind again. well cooked, crunchy coated perch filets, .good stuff -

I broke off from the girls and rolled into a few bars, Nitty Gritty, as well as The New Paradise Lounge -

New Paradise was a total dive, but I became curious as to their food offerings as I drank some beer. Grill behind the bar - bartender doubles as cook - typicall good signs - something to try on another visit to town

New Paradise Lounge
    119 W. Main
    Madison, WI.

OSS - Old School Sausages -

been on my list for a while - stopped in for some of the Badger game and a dog -

went with a ripper - chili, cheddar, onion and a pickle spear -

pretty good dog - how can a deep fried dog not be good right? - nathans like in flavor but their own blend. - i liked it. Chili - maybe a lighter dose - but a good snack. I went basic, but there menu boasts some cool looking sausage creations. - cheap, crisp High Life on tap.

OSS
    910 Regent
    Madison

http://ossmadison.com/

I was pulling for Toby's for some steaks, but Sujeo was the choice for an early dinner - Cool, small spot. filled up quickly after we got there at 430 p.m.

Dug these hot, spicy peanuts -

KBC(their spin on Korean Fried Chicken) was also top notch - think crunchy general tsaos on the bone - cucumber kimchi was nice as well -

Also did some pot stickers - good, chicken skin bao - vinegar bomb,

also a bowl of Shio Ramen -

I know zero about ramen - thought this was tasty -but, thought best part was the egg for sure - fantastic.

Cool place - Id eat there again -

Sujeo
    10 N. Livingston
    Madison

http://www.sujeomadison.com/
    Last edited by jimswside on November 12th, 2015, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #164 - November 12th, 2015, 1:34 pm
    Post #164 - November 12th, 2015, 1:34 pm Post #164 - November 12th, 2015, 1:34 pm
    Glad to hear the 'Dise' is still a real dive, so many changes in Madison since I was in college but some things will always remain the same. I used to grab takeout burgers there on the weekends when I worked at an old cigar shop that used to be located near the lobby of the Inn on the Park. I remember the burger being pretty good (of the thicker variety), and the price was definitely more than reasonable.

Thank you for any and all Madison updates, brings back so many great memories. I am hoping to get up there for the NW game next weekend, my friends already have a reservation for the Tornado Room for Saturday night.
  • Post #165 - November 12th, 2015, 2:46 pm
    Post #165 - November 12th, 2015, 2:46 pm Post #165 - November 12th, 2015, 2:46 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    Last stop, I think, was at another old spot - The Wonder Bar for 1 last Cow before rolling south. - Been around since 1929

Nice spot - old school - If I ever want another $6 Spotted Cow I know where to go... :wink:

The Wonder Bar
    222 E. Olin Ave.
    Madison, WI.

http://www.wonderbarmadison.com/

Always a fun time, got another couple spots to add to the regular rotation for visits up in Madison.

Hit WonderBar once when daughter schooled at Madison a few years ago. Dined with two other couples in one of the gun turrets. (Maybe it was to watch out for the Chicago Outfit--had heard rumors WonderBar had ties in years past.)

Had an unbelievable filet--it resembled Richard Dreyfuss' sculpture of Jackson Hole in 'Close Encounters...'. It was massive, and tender. The accompanying cheesy hash browns were similarly a meal in itself. And one of my buddy's entrees--an encrusted walleye pike fillet--was he said one of the finest pieces of fish he's ever enjoyed.

Def old school, a supper club on steroids...
  • Post #166 - November 12th, 2015, 7:11 pm
    Post #166 - November 12th, 2015, 7:11 pm Post #166 - November 12th, 2015, 7:11 pm
    Great stuff as usual jimswside! I'm a huge fan of Tory Miller's food so I'm excited to give Sujeo a try one of these days. Glad to hear you enjoyed.
  • Post #167 - January 19th, 2016, 11:14 am
    Post #167 - January 19th, 2016, 11:14 am Post #167 - January 19th, 2016, 11:14 am
    We were up in Madison for the Isthmus Beer and Cheese Fest this past weekend. First time for us as this fest and it probably won't be the last. $50 for unlimited tastings of beers/ciders from over 100 vendors, plus cheese and other samples from another 25-plus vendors. Lots of fun with some really good stuff.

We ate at Freiburg Gastropub prior to the fest. Mr. X and I split the "potato cakes" which was two potato pancakes, arctic char grav lox and poached eggs. We also got a side of the kohlrabi slaw (made with kohlrabi, apple, red onion in a mustard vinaigrette.) Our entrée was okay, but we really liked the slaw. We did not avail ourselves of the extensive beer menu.

Dinner that night was at Jacs Dining and Taphouse, selected by a friend for their gluten-free options. I had a wonderful apple-butternut squash soup and a beet salad. As I may have over-sampled at the beer and cheese fest, I'm not sure what others at our table had. The general consensus was positive.

Sunday breakfast was at The Wise Restaurant and Bar in the HotelRed, where we stayed. The kitchen had been slammed by a large group earlier in the morning, so wait times for food were long. The food wasn't remarkable, but we were using a $30 food and beverage credit.

Freiburg Gastropub
    2616 Monroe Street
    Madison, Wisconsin 53711
    Phone: 608-204-2755
    http://www.freiburgmadison.com/

jacs Dining and Taphouse
    2611 Monroe Street
    Madison, WI 53711
    Phone: (608) 441-5444
    http://www.jacsdiningandtaphouse.com/
    -Mary
  • Post #168 - July 30th, 2020, 3:28 pm
    Post #168 - July 30th, 2020, 3:28 pm Post #168 - July 30th, 2020, 3:28 pm
    Vital Information wrote:
    rainy01 wrote:
    Da Beef wrote:Not to worry because nestled in on Mifflin (just east of Pinckney) lay's Jacobson Brothers deli.

Hate to say this, but I think that location disappeared about a year ago and was replaced by Gotham Bagels.

Right!

And not bad at all either. When we were in Madtown a few weeks ago, we needed a quick bite before hiting the road (and given that weather, we nearly did hit the road). We wanted Cafe Soleil, but it had just closed. We espied this place and gave it a shake. And, and, like most places in Wisconsin, it was just basically better. They boil and bake the bagels in house and serve them with Zingerman's cream cheese. That's pretty darn better in my book.*

*Yes, I know there are a few places around town that do the boil/bake fresh bit, but this place was also comfortable and the side options just better. Just going on memory, not taste-off, I'd say these were as good if not better than any bagel now being offered in Chicago--although the best bagels I've had this year, by far, were the ones my mother baked.

Gotham Bagels
    http://www.gothambagels.com

112 E Mifflin St
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 467-7642

Gotham Bagels comes to Chicago, by way of ... Wisconsin?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #169 - August 31st, 2021, 10:02 pm
    Post #169 - August 31st, 2021, 10:02 pm Post #169 - August 31st, 2021, 10:02 pm
    Are there any recommendations for a good (ok, great) Friday Night Fish Fry not too far from the hospital at the university. Lake perch would be a welcomed plus!

Also, we'll be spending an hour or 2 at the Saturday Farmers Market. First time and long overdue. Are there any not-to-be-missed booths?
  • Post #170 - September 1st, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Post #170 - September 1st, 2021, 7:44 pm Post #170 - September 1st, 2021, 7:44 pm
    wineaux wrote:Are there any recommendations for a good (ok, great) Friday Night Fish Fry not too far from the hospital at the university. Lake perch would be a welcomed plus!

Most of my experience with fish fries in Madison were on the other side of the isthmus, but not sure you want to go that far (if you do, Villa Tap is tops IMO).

By reputation, I'd go with the Laurel. Oakcrest or Badger Tavern are also good options on that side of town. Haven't personally done Friday fish at any of these three spots, but all have been doing it well for a while, and locals swear by them.

I can't emphasize enough either going super early, or calling in your order in advance. Pre-pandemic, if you didn't get to a spot before 5 PM, expect over an hour wait (an old fashioned sour does help pass the time, though). To the point of acting early and calling- Oakcrest has a dedicated fish fry phone for if you want to do a pick up order. Here's an article about ordering out from the Laurel that might give you a sense of what things are like these days- the author got through on their 47th call at 4:15 PM.

https://www.channel3000.com/saved-by-the-laurel-taverns-fish-fry/

Also, we'll be spending an hour or 2 at the Saturday Farmers Market. First time and long overdue. Are there any not-to-be-missed booths?

Bleu Mont Dairy- not sure if the cheesemaker Willi is out these days. Didn't see him in the early summer when I swung through Madison and the market was at a different location. Master of the craft. Cave-aged bandaged cheddar is the one to look out for.

Hook's is also a worthy stop. In my opinion, their blue cheeses are what they excel at.

I'd assume you're in the market for prepared foods, but when I lived close to the market, I'd always be excited about apple season starting up. There is a vendor of antique varieties of apples (Westons Orchard). These don't always keep well but are always fascinating in terms of taste and story. But other vendors also have apple varieties that you won't find in stores, too. The garlic stand and Hmong farmers' booths are also unique.

If you've never been, Stella's cheese bread is the most famous stand at the market. If the sound of munching on cheese bread as you walk the market is appealing, it will definitely hit the spot. Whether it's worth waiting in a crowded line for may depend on your personal tolerance for lines and hunger for cheese bread :).
  • Post #171 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am
    Post #171 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am Post #171 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am
    I've gone several times, on Fridays, to Tempest, which is not too far from the Capital (https://tempestoysterbar.com/eat-tempest). They have an outstanding happy hour and an outstanding fish fry. My wife and I generally get several of the happy hour appetizers and then one fish fry.

The other place we've been going to often, in Madison, is Mint Mark. It's a Ronnie Suburban cocktail bar that happens to serve food kinda place, but both aspects are done very well. The burger is especially good as are the salads. (https://www.mintmarkmadison.com/)
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #172 - July 17th, 2022, 12:07 pm
    Post #172 - July 17th, 2022, 12:07 pm Post #172 - July 17th, 2022, 12:07 pm
    Vital Information wrote:The other place we've been going to often, in Madison, is Mint Mark. It's a Ronnie Suburban cocktail bar that happens to serve food kinda place, but both aspects are done very well. The burger is especially good as are the salads. (https://www.mintmarkmadison.com/)

LOL - spot on, my friend. A bartender friend who recently moved to Madison took us there over the weekend and yes, this is really my kind of place. It was immediately obvious that the back bar was assembled by someone who knew what they were doing and also gave a shit about it. Beautiful, well-curated selection of spirits. Cocktail menu was also thoughtfully built, incorporating plenty of seasonal ingredients and seasonal thinking. If I have one quibble, it's that the libations skewed a little on the sweet side (welcome to Wisconsin!) but the staff is happy to make any drink on the dryer side upon request.

On the food side, it really doesn't get much better than this. Again, a highly seasonal focus, thoughtful conceptions and skillful execution. Everything we had -- most all of it showcasing locally grown, seasonal ingredients -- was delicious. And even though it doesn't need saying, I'll say it anyway . . . the staff was friendly as hell.

Other stops during our quickie, 2-day visit were Genna's Lounge (on the square), which was a great happy hour stop for a beer, a shot and some tasty nibbles from their mini snack buffet -- chips, salsa, guacamole, crudite, a crock pot of clove-forward meatballs and of course, cheese cubes. Had an ice-cold draw of Spotted Cow and a shot of Four Roses.

We had a couple round of nightcaps at Robin Room (same group as Mint Mark), where the back bar and creativity were also abundant.

Breakfast at Mickey's Dairy Bar was as unapologetic and unironic as ever. Huge plates of delicious, greasy-spoon-type diner food. A "side" of corned beef hash was enough food for three people. Pancakes -- which spanned from edge to edge of a larger dinner plate -- were perfectly cooked; light golden brown and ethereally fluffy.

If you're into cigars (which I am not) and even if you're not (that's me), Maduro is a beautiful spot to enjoy them, along with a fantastic selection of spirits that are typically paired with them. We didn't stay long but enjoyed pours of sherry and armagnac during our visit. The air filtration system is great and there is plenty of outdoor seating.

Dinner at L'Etoile was a beautiful experience. World-class cuisine in an approachable setting and again, intensely focused on local and seasonal. Chef Tory Miller and crew have it completely dialed in. Chef's wife, Kristine Miller, heads up pastry and breads, all of which were spectacular.

On the shopping side, we also hit Meat People Butcher in Monona, where they're turning out some interesting, house-made sausages and other meat products. They've also got some higher-end, non-CAFO-type meat products and a nicely curated selection of specialty grocery and pantry items.

Last but certainly not least, we shopped the Dane County Farmers Market, which is one of my very favorites. Mid-July is a great time to be there and most all of the offerings were sensational.

=R=

Mint Mark
    1929 Winnebago St
    Madison, WI 53704
    (608) 285-5096

Genna's Lounge
    105 W Main St
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 255-4770

Robin Room
    821 E Johnson St
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 284-7638

Maduro
    117 E Main St
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 294-9371

L'Etoile
    1 S Pinckney St
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 251-0500

Meat People Butcher
    4106 Monona Dr
    Madison, WI 53716
    (608) 298-7167

Dane County Farmers' Market
    Capitol, Madison, WI
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #173 - September 24th, 2023, 3:32 pm
    Post #173 - September 24th, 2023, 3:32 pm Post #173 - September 24th, 2023, 3:32 pm
    Had a stellar Laotian meal the other day at Ahan. Here's a run-down, with descriptions lifted directly from their menu/website . . .

Vegetable Egg Rolls - beet, tofu, cabbage, mushroom, carrot, bean thread noodles, mango sweet & sour

Khao Tod - deep-fried rice, imitation crab, red curry, lemongrass, coconut, scallion, cilantro, lime leaf mayo

Laotian Snacks - house-made Lao beef sausage, son in law eggs (hard-boiled egg filled with pork, cabbage, carrot, scallion, vermicelli noodles), seen savanh (ginger, garlic Lao “heavenly jerky”), jeow som (ginger, garlic, Thai chili, lime dipping sauce), sweet chili lime dipping sauce, cucumber, radish, lime, and khao niew (sticky rice)

Pork Dumpling - Enos Farm pork, ginger, cabbage, garlic, scallion, ponzu

Laap Nuea - Lao Beef Salad (National Dish Of Laos) – Thin sliced medium-rare beef eye of round (Vindicator Beef), shallot, onion, cilantro, scallion, lime leaf, lemongrass, Thai chili, fish sauce, lime, toasted rice powder. Served with cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, radish, pea shoots (Vitruvian Farm) , and sticky rice.

Nam Khao Salad - house-made Panang curry sausage, crispy fried rice, mixed greens, radish, mint, pickled papaya, cilantro, shallot, scallion, lime, chili, garlic, peanuts, pickled papaya, and pea vines

Tom Yum - Fried chicken (or tofu), rice noodles, lemongrass, galangal, lime, cilantro, scallion, Thai basil, bean sprouts, crispy garlic, and side of chili oil

Drunken Noodles - pork (or tofu), tomato, bok choy, scallion, cilantro, Thai basil

We loved this bright, spicy, boldly flavorful meal from end to end. Food just felt alive and vibrant in the best possible ways. Nothing here I wouldn't order again, and no question, we'll be back the next time we visit Madison. Frankly, it's bit of a bummer that we have nothing like this here in Chicagoland (other than occasional pop-ups).

I understand they're moving to a new, larger space in the near future. Given how delicious this meal was and how popular the place seemed to be (even on a weekday at lunch), that seems like a really wise idea.

=R=

Ahan (website)
    2262 Winnebago St (located in the Bur Oak)
    Madison, WI 53704
    (608) 867-4001
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events