LTH Home

Low Carb Notes

Low Carb Notes
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Low Carb Notes

Post #1 - March 6th, 2015, 3:43 pm
    Post #1 - March 6th, 2015, 3:43 pm Post #1 - March 6th, 2015, 3:43 pm
    As an experiment in much-needed weight loss, we're trying (and not always achieving) a low-carb diet. No specific one, not paleo, not Atkins, just figuring that if we can keep most of the starches out of what we eat, the pounds should fall away.

In the almost two weeks, I've lost just a couple pounds, and I'm attributing the lack of significant progress to things such as the last Dessert Exchange, SueF's birthday, and other interruptions of our rigor.

But I have a few notes:
    1) Cauliflower is not risotto. Braised in wine and stock, seasoned with parmesan, mushrooms and yogurt (I would have used cream if I had it), it's quite tasty, but it's not going to be risotto. The texture is nothing like the original. I'll probably do it again at some point.

2) Shirataki noodles aren't pasta. Carbonara made with them has all the wrong texture. They're relatively tough, reminding me almost of calamari-as-noodles, and don't absorb sauce, even one as clingy as the egg in carbonara. They'll probably do in emergencies. I haven't tried zucchini noodles yet, but I have one in the fridge to try.

3) Cucumber sliced on the bias is a decent delivery vehicle for smoked salmon, but cream cheese will absolutely not stick to it.

4) Nut crusts might be good, if you don't burn them. I was adapting a nut-crusted quiche recipe from almond meal to pecan meal, because it's what was open in the freezer... and the blind bake time for almond appears to be much longer than pecan. Probably should skip the crust all together, and go for more of a chawanmushi.

5) Sauces frustrate, because there's nothing to sop them up. I'd braise, but how do you consume that awesome braising liquid without spuds or bread? The cauliflower above was served with mussels... I ended up with mussel-cauliflower soup which is pretty awesome, but it's not mussels over risotto.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - March 6th, 2015, 5:35 pm
    Post #2 - March 6th, 2015, 5:35 pm Post #2 - March 6th, 2015, 5:35 pm
    I'll tell you what helped me more than anything else: targeting the carb known as sugar. No desserts. No soft drinks. No ice cream. No sweet snacks. No chocolate. No cookies. No cakes. No pies. Nada.

Instead of these things, when the craving for something sweet after dinner occurs: A piece of fruit, or bowl of berries.

It has the virtue of simplicity.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #3 - March 6th, 2015, 7:31 pm
    Post #3 - March 6th, 2015, 7:31 pm Post #3 - March 6th, 2015, 7:31 pm
    Yup, that's a big part of the strategy...
    But I'm also struggling to make a real meal without the typical staples, especially as my spouse is vegetable averse.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - March 6th, 2015, 8:36 pm
    Post #4 - March 6th, 2015, 8:36 pm Post #4 - March 6th, 2015, 8:36 pm
    Hmmm, what vegetables does Sue like aside from corn and potatoes?

Most folks like something, perhaps tomatoes in the form of spaghetti sauce or salsa, or maybe roasted carrots. Ottolenghi should be your friend here.

When you go out for Chinese food does she pick out the vegetables?

Roasted red peppers, creamed spinach?

Traditionally, I didn't like a lot of vegetables but I did like some nutritional powerhouses.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #5 - March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
    Post #5 - March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm Post #5 - March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
    I've also been trying to eat very low carb. I'd be very happy to hear about creative recipe successes. I do think creativity is the key to not missing bread, rice, etc.

I think my best discovery so far might be stir fried veggies with fried eggs on top for breakfast. Very delish, and a great way to eat eggs (and a hot breakfast) without missing toast. (with hot sauce, like bibimbap - not quite traditional American breakfast, but very satisfying)
  • Post #6 - March 7th, 2015, 9:25 am
    Post #6 - March 7th, 2015, 9:25 am Post #6 - March 7th, 2015, 9:25 am
    pairs4life wrote:Hmmm, what vegetables does Sue like aside from corn and potatoes?

Most folks like something, perhaps tomatoes in the form of spaghetti sauce or salsa, or maybe roasted carrots. Ottolenghi should be your friend here.

When you go out for Chinese food does she pick out the vegetables?

Roasted red peppers, creamed spinach?

Traditionally, I didn't like a lot of vegetables but I did like some nutritional powerhouses.

Generally, anything not green has at least some tolerance; greens acceptable only as salads. She's gotten better over the years, but cabbage-based dishes are pretty much out of the question. Yes, she'll pick out the veg if there's too much of something. Definitely roasted red peppers are good, and absolutely not creamed spinach (the most cooked a green can get s a wilted spinach salad with bacon).
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - March 7th, 2015, 10:34 am
    Post #7 - March 7th, 2015, 10:34 am Post #7 - March 7th, 2015, 10:34 am
    When I have done low carb - and I should be doing it right now as it transforms how I feel - I've found that after a few days I lose all desire for carbs and find them just too heavy. I really aim less at replicating a carb experience. As soon as I head toward the faux carb options, I seem to reawaken my very serious carb addiction and from there so easily slide back into bad habits. Not sure if this is just me, but there's something about that initial two week almost zero carb induction under Atkins that seems to make it all easier? (said as I vow to start over again and stick with it this time!)
  • Post #8 - March 7th, 2015, 12:19 pm
    Post #8 - March 7th, 2015, 12:19 pm Post #8 - March 7th, 2015, 12:19 pm
    Roasted red peppers are perfect. Roast a few pounds at a time and she can have rhem and you can make whatever for you.

I also love roasted cauliflower and hated broccoli until I had CI's roasted broccoli. Now it is a favorite.

I would also try the oven roasted tomatoes from Plenty. I buy multiple pounds of tomatoes and roast them then put them on sandwiches or use in green salads.

Does Sue like pickles and cucumbers? We use our pickles often as the vegetable side.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #9 - March 7th, 2015, 1:07 pm
    Post #9 - March 7th, 2015, 1:07 pm Post #9 - March 7th, 2015, 1:07 pm
    Spaghetti squash comes to mind, but for the vegetable-averse, I foresee a lot of pork chops and cheese omelets.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #10 - March 7th, 2015, 1:57 pm
    Post #10 - March 7th, 2015, 1:57 pm Post #10 - March 7th, 2015, 1:57 pm
    Are parsnips and celery root permissible and acceptable For Sue Joel?

• Post #11 - March 7th, 2015, 3:02 pm
    Post #11 - March 7th, 2015, 3:02 pm Post #11 - March 7th, 2015, 3:02 pm
    Pickles yes, cucumbers no (I can't figure that one out). Banchan in general good.
    Parsnips and carrots are fine, celery root seems too starchy (am I wrong?)
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - March 7th, 2015, 3:41 pm
    Post #12 - March 7th, 2015, 3:41 pm Post #12 - March 7th, 2015, 3:41 pm
    JoelF wrote:Pickles yes, cucumbers no (I can't figure that one out). Banchan in general good.
    Parsnips and carrots are fine, celery root seems too starchy (am I wrong?)

Then looks like you have plenty to rotate/try for variety of vegetable additions.

Roasted red peppers
    Parsnips
    Cucumbers
    Carrots
    Cauliflower

Can be prepared in a way that you don't get bored.

I think celery root is lauded by a lot of paleo/low carb acolytes.

I found the chart below here.

A few weeks ago I had a Julia Child class at the Chopping Block and we did a puréed celery root with cream. It was a favorite for all in the class. Many had never seen or had it before.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by pairs4life on April 10th, 2015, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Post #13 - March 7th, 2015, 8:41 pm
    Post #13 - March 7th, 2015, 8:41 pm Post #13 - March 7th, 2015, 8:41 pm
    Cauliflower? No, that won't fly. The risotto attempt was a bachelor night.

I'll consider celery root. I have to wonder about burdock, salsify...

The other breakthrough? Pork rinds. Nice substitute for croutons in salad and soup. And the double benefit that I could probably heat my house on the energy of my mother spinning in her grave.
    Last edited by JoelF on March 8th, 2015, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - March 8th, 2015, 12:04 am
    Post #14 - March 8th, 2015, 12:04 am Post #14 - March 8th, 2015, 12:04 am
    JoelF wrote:The other breakthrough? Pork rinds. Nice substitute for croutons in salad and soup. And tree double benefit that I could probably heat my house on the energy of my mother spinning in her grave.

Ha! This won't likely cease any spinning but I've found that a blend of ground up pork rinds and ground up dried mushrooms (both via cuisinart) is an excellent substitute for bread crumbs in items like meatloaf, meatballs and the like. I typically use 75% rinds, 25% mushrooms (by volume). I'm pretty sure RAB is the person who originally tipped me off on the mushrooms. In any case, when you do this, you may want to adjust the salt down since pork rinds are typically pretty salty. And, depending on the quality of the mushrooms you use -- and what you're making with them -- you may want to adjust the amount you use of those, too. They tend to deliver quite a bit of flavor. That can be great but in certain recipes, it can also distract.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #15 - March 8th, 2015, 9:18 am
    Post #15 - March 8th, 2015, 9:18 am Post #15 - March 8th, 2015, 9:18 am
    In our experience, cauliflower works better as a puree or as fried rice.

I do a goat cheese-parmesan cauliflower puree. It's not mashed potatoes though, and will never be, so it's better not to think of them as a substitute that way.

Fried cauliflower rice is fun, too, and can be done a variety of ways. Chinese style (soy/sesame/scrambled egg/snow pea/shiitake/scallions), "Halal cart" style (cumin/turmeric/butter), or Mexican style (cumin/coriander/tomato paste) can be quite tasty.

One of my favorite meals ever is "halal cart style" chicken over iceberg lettuce, with halal cart style cauliflower rice, and some jarred harissa sauce alongside the white sauce.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011 ... ecipe.html

Shirataki noodles work better in Asian dishes. Chicken curry soup with shirataki noodles, pho with shirataki noodles and lots of basil and fresh bean sprouts, or Sichuan style hot pot.

For Western style pasta dishes, I use soybean noodles. Explore Asian Organic Soybean Pasta seems to work out OK for tomato sauce based "pasta."

Love cucumber with cream cheese and smoked salmon. I found whipped cream cheese to stick better. Perhaps try a fluffy soft goat cheese or creme fraiche/sour cream?

For nut crusts, I've had success using a mixture of nuts. Macadamia/cashew/almond. Never tried pecan. I also bake more with coconut flour.

Plain cauliflower rice is decent enough for soaking up sauces. Also good as sushi, rolled up instead of rice in California rolls, veggie rolls, and Philadelphia rolls.

What about green beans roasted until they turn crispy and brown, tossed in olive oil and salt. Dipped into low sugar ketchup?

Roasted broccoli with blue cheese, tossed in Stephanie Izard's broccoli vinaigrette?
    http://www.marthastewart.com/894178/bro ... inaigrette

What about eggplant? Avocado? Asparagus?

Fajita veggies? I do a "cheater" slow cooker mole chicken served with fajita veggies, guacamole, hot sauce, sour cream, cheese.

Okra? Low carb chicken tikka masala with a bunch of okra slices stir-fried in coriander and tumeric.

Jicama home fries? Take diced jicama tossed with garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika, roast until browned at 400 degrees. They also are good with a splash of vinegar. And remain crunchy on the inside.

My husband loves shredded buffalo chicken breast with hot sauce, blue cheese, and scallions, over spaghetti squash.

Momofuku's spicy rice cakes and pork sausage but without the rice cakes makes for a lovely ragu type meal. The green veggies get tossed in a delicious sauce and all mixed up.

These Chowhound discussions are great for getting ideas:
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/904478
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/909307
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/968106
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/975365
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/1001947
  • Post #16 - March 8th, 2015, 10:06 am
    Post #16 - March 8th, 2015, 10:06 am Post #16 - March 8th, 2015, 10:06 am
    I am making egg roll in a bowl tonight. Its all the makings of an egg roll without the wrapper. You make it with ground meat or chopped if you like, and bagged shredded cabbage.

You might try cooking some stuff with almond flour and or coconut flour. I make cake in a mug that has no flour in it. It takes minutes to make and I use unsweeted cocoa and swerve to sweeten it.

Get the book Trim Healthy Mama and start following that diet, its not no carb but its low glycemic and people have lost tons of weight on it. Sorry that it is targeted towards women but men do it too.

Get a good sugar substitute and try to kick drinking pop if you still do.

Ezekiel bread...its slower releasing in your blood stream and does not raise insulin. Also Joseph bread and lavash from Walmart is good for wraps. They also have Mission carb control tortillas.

Brown rice and whole wheat pasta too. Yeah, I don't really like to eat this way but need to get weight and blood sugar down.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #17 - March 8th, 2015, 10:11 am
    Post #17 - March 8th, 2015, 10:11 am Post #17 - March 8th, 2015, 10:11 am
    Also try cooking radishes as a substitute for little new potatoes. they are surprisingly good.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #18 - March 9th, 2015, 10:52 am
    Post #18 - March 9th, 2015, 10:52 am Post #18 - March 9th, 2015, 10:52 am
    There's already no pop being drunk in the house except for special occasions. I don't want to get into discussions about low-cal sweetener safety or health benefits, but I'm avoiding those too.

Radishes, cauliflower, okra, asparagus (un-pickled) cucumbers, green beans, broccoli etc. are all things I love but SueF doesn't.
    Eggplant is a hit-or-miss depending on the dish.
    Mushrooms, peppers and onions are always acceptable (last night was shishitos with miso, ginger and ground pistachio).
    Winter squash is good, summer squash is OK in small quantities.
    Carrots, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts are all fine (need to stir fry more, but will miss the rice, especially to gather sauces)
    I'd forgotten about jicama -- need to add that to the mix.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #19 - March 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm
    Post #19 - March 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm Post #19 - March 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm
    JoelF wrote:There's already no pop being drunk in the house except for special occasions. I don't want to get into discussions about low-cal sweetener safety or health benefits, but I'm avoiding those too.

I'm trying (trying) to keep my mouth shut on what I think of glycemic index and low carb, but I will say this. I looked at the issue re: pop, especially diet pop, about 2 years ago. I gave up diet pop then, like May 2013. I have not had a diet coke since--once in a blue moon I'll have something like one of this Pellegrino chinotto's, but artificially sweetened, no. I've lost a lot of weight since May 2013. Giving up pop was not why, but I think it contributed.

BTW, canned seltzer makes a more than decent sub.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #20 - March 9th, 2015, 1:38 pm
    Post #20 - March 9th, 2015, 1:38 pm Post #20 - March 9th, 2015, 1:38 pm
    Never been a seltzer fan. I just drink "the good stuff" only as a treat. Not a problem at home, it's when I get an Italian Beef, good pizza, etc. that I crave a Coca-Cola. But it's been that way for quite a while for me, so that's not going to help on the weight loss.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #21 - March 9th, 2015, 1:39 pm
    Post #21 - March 9th, 2015, 1:39 pm Post #21 - March 9th, 2015, 1:39 pm
    Has anyone tried Zevia? Its sweetened with stevia which some find bitter. I am going to make almond flour brownies today and I will sweeten them with swerve. Everyone is going to have to make their own decisions about sweetners. I know my sugar was 110 and the doctor wants it at 100 or below.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #22 - March 9th, 2015, 1:44 pm
    Post #22 - March 9th, 2015, 1:44 pm Post #22 - March 9th, 2015, 1:44 pm
    Also Joseph bread is all the rage in the low carb community. I found they have it at Walmart. I found Ezekiel bread at trader joes. Its flourless sprouted grain bread with a low glycemic index. Polaner sugar free jam found at Walmart. I also bought a bag of chana dal on Amazon which is low glycemic too.

https://www.josephsbakery.com/

You can make the halal chicken with the white sauce, recipes abound for it and it sounds really good.

Dreamfields pasta is supposed to not raise blood sugar but there is mixed info on it.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #23 - March 9th, 2015, 6:50 pm
    Post #23 - March 9th, 2015, 6:50 pm Post #23 - March 9th, 2015, 6:50 pm
    Artichokes! When I really need some substance - a medium artichoke with lovely butter for dipping and lemon is quite satisfying at net 6 grams carbs.
  • Post #24 - March 14th, 2015, 3:52 pm
    Post #24 - March 14th, 2015, 3:52 pm Post #24 - March 14th, 2015, 3:52 pm
    Beans. Beans are our salvation. Let me count the ways. Ahh, I'm not going to count the ways, y'awl know the ways. And amongst the beans I also count lentils (dals galore) and chickpeas.
    So I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes last year (the other doc said, 'nah, it's metabolic syndrome') which doesn't exactly entail Atkins, eh, but means that rice, spuds, and noodles need dialed back.

Beans. Yup.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #25 - March 16th, 2015, 9:03 am
    Post #25 - March 16th, 2015, 9:03 am Post #25 - March 16th, 2015, 9:03 am
    Also Chana dal is supposed to regulate blood sugar.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #26 - March 16th, 2015, 11:12 am
    Post #26 - March 16th, 2015, 11:12 am Post #26 - March 16th, 2015, 11:12 am
    I am also trying to do more low carb than I have been. I have been very bad since the holidays. Where does one find salsify?
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #27 - March 16th, 2015, 1:12 pm
    Post #27 - March 16th, 2015, 1:12 pm Post #27 - March 16th, 2015, 1:12 pm
    toria wrote:I am making egg roll in a bowl tonight. Its all the makings of an egg roll without the wrapper. You make it with ground meat or chopped if you like, and bagged shredded cabbage.

I really have to thank you for calling this dish to my attention. I made it this weekend and loved it! I made a large batch, some of which we ate straight, in bowls, and some of which I'm going to roll up into egg rolls. Or maybe not...
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #28 - April 10th, 2015, 3:58 pm
    Post #28 - April 10th, 2015, 3:58 pm Post #28 - April 10th, 2015, 3:58 pm
    Making some progress. Holidays don't help (Passover is all about starches, Easter not much better). The number of pounds I've lost is about 6 more than the ones I've gained back.

Cucumbers continue to be the vehicle of choice for things such as cheese, fish (Costco smoked whitefish salad mmm) and so forth, but it's getting dull.
    Bought a jicama, but haven't peeled and sliced yet.

Roasted a couple portabella mushroom caps last night to serve as bun-like objects for burgers, turned out rather wet and messy, although tasty (I'd have been happier if I didn't try to pick the thing up and used a knife and fork, but who uses a knife and fork on a sandwich?)

At some point soon, I'm going to see if I can sneak zucchini noodles past Sue.
    Craving buttered english muffins.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #29 - April 10th, 2015, 4:05 pm
    Post #29 - April 10th, 2015, 4:05 pm Post #29 - April 10th, 2015, 4:05 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Roasted a couple portabella mushroom caps last night to serve as bun-like objects for burgers, turned out rather wet and messy, although tasty (I'd have been happier if I didn't try to pick the thing up and used a knife and fork, but who uses a knife and fork on a sandwich?)

Vital Information, that's who.

Vital Information wrote:Third, inspired by what to do with extra Welsh Rabbit, I made a hot brown sammy. Using the easiest cooking method known, I microwaved excellent Niman Ranch bacon (made at least some of the time with pork from my friends the Wettsteins). I took a thick slice of Fox and Obel semolina bread (thanks Aaron), added F&O turkey (the best I know), then the leftover cheese sauce. I nuked to melt the cheese, then stuck it under the broiler, or salamander as us chef's say. Unfortunately, the cheese did not brown up, but it surely tasted fine. Even better because I completely surrounded the sammy with fresh shelled, buttered farmer's market peas. I was so awed by my creation, that even though I was eating alone, I kept to my knife and fork, euro style.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #30 - April 10th, 2015, 5:33 pm
    Post #30 - April 10th, 2015, 5:33 pm Post #30 - April 10th, 2015, 5:33 pm
    As someone who spent two years living and eating in and around L'ouville, VI's procedure horrifies me. I mean. Really. Horrifies. Me.

I'm sure that the Hotel Brown doesn't involve *their* sammich so thoroughly with the nuke machine. Yikes!

And *then*, knife and fork on the sammich...

I hope that your citing him doesn't signal approval, Stevez!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more