LTH Home

Burt’s Place: And so it ends, not with a bang, but a whimper

Burt’s Place: And so it ends, not with a bang, but a whimper
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 4th, 2015, 8:57 am
    Post #31 - November 4th, 2015, 8:57 am Post #31 - November 4th, 2015, 8:57 am
    Hi,

There is a lot to be said for personality, both Doug's and Burt's. I talked to Bob Schwartz, VP at Vienna Sausage about personality and how it contributed to a hot dog stand's success.

Bob had seen two nearby hot dog stands serving the same Vienna product: one had long lines and the other languished. He did attribute personality as part of the success. Those long lines also allowed fast turnover of product, which contributes to a better experience. Especially since hot dogs don't get better lingering in hot water.

I don't believe there was ever a day Doug or Burt were not at the helm. When Doug broke his leg or Burt had health problems, they closed.

While Doug closed his business, it is clear from this podcast from his recent visit to Culinary Historians, he will be returning to workforce in 2016.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - November 4th, 2015, 6:33 pm
    Post #32 - November 4th, 2015, 6:33 pm Post #32 - November 4th, 2015, 6:33 pm
    Personally, I went there for the pizza. I would have been very happy to not deal with all the other stuff.
  • Post #33 - November 4th, 2015, 6:53 pm
    Post #33 - November 4th, 2015, 6:53 pm Post #33 - November 4th, 2015, 6:53 pm
    As much as I loved Burt's I felt there was a distinct down turn in quality the last year. The last few pizzas I had were almost entirely dough. I am talking 80% dough with a tiny schmear of sauce and a haphazard sprinkling of sausage. It felt like focaccia with a bit of tomato brushed on. Now that can be good but it wasn't what I was going to Burt's for.
  • Post #34 - November 5th, 2015, 10:56 am
    Post #34 - November 5th, 2015, 10:56 am Post #34 - November 5th, 2015, 10:56 am
    Octarine wrote:As much as I loved Burt's I felt there was a distinct down turn in quality the last year. The last few pizzas I had were almost entirely dough. I am talking 80% dough with a tiny schmear of sauce and a haphazard sprinkling of sausage. It felt like focaccia with a bit of tomato brushed on. Now that can be good but it wasn't what I was going to Burt's for.

This has actually been my issue with Pequod's the past few times I've been. The crust has been far too thick and the sauce was far too meager.
  • Post #35 - November 5th, 2015, 12:01 pm
    Post #35 - November 5th, 2015, 12:01 pm Post #35 - November 5th, 2015, 12:01 pm
    lodasi wrote:This has actually been my issue with Pequod's the past few times I've been. The crust has been far too thick and the sauce was far too meager.

The last time I had a pizza from Pequod's (Clybourn), this described it exactly. Which is why it was the last time I had a pizza from Pequod's.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #36 - November 5th, 2015, 2:35 pm
    Post #36 - November 5th, 2015, 2:35 pm Post #36 - November 5th, 2015, 2:35 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    lodasi wrote:This has actually been my issue with Pequod's the past few times I've been. The crust has been far too thick and the sauce was far too meager.

The last time I had a pizza from Pequod's (Clybourn), this described it exactly. Which is why it was the last time I had a pizza from Pequod's.

Thank you for reaffirming my observation. So many people are blinded by the burnt cheese crust to realize that Pequod's is just mediocre.
  • Post #37 - November 5th, 2015, 2:46 pm
    Post #37 - November 5th, 2015, 2:46 pm Post #37 - November 5th, 2015, 2:46 pm
    lodasi wrote:
    riddlemay wrote:

Thank you for reaffirming my observation. So many people are blinded by the burnt cheese crust to realize that Pequod's is just mediocre.

I'm a fan of Pequod's (though I much preferred Burt's), but I wouldn't say I'm blinded by the burnt cheese crust edges. Rather, I find the sauce to be a tad too sweet, and I sometimes find the pies prepared haphazardly, without sufficient attention to proper ratios/measurements. Quality control can definitely be an issue there, but I'm still a fan.
  • Post #38 - December 11th, 2015, 7:55 pm
    Post #38 - December 11th, 2015, 7:55 pm Post #38 - December 11th, 2015, 7:55 pm
    Inspiring pies all around the country. http://www.thestranger.com/food-and-drink/feature/2015/12/09/23244989/windy-city-pie-adds-a-terrific-twist-to-chicago-style-pizza
  • Post #39 - May 3rd, 2016, 8:48 am
    Post #39 - May 3rd, 2016, 8:48 am Post #39 - May 3rd, 2016, 8:48 am
    Tribute thread here.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles