LTH Home

Crockpot recipes, anyone?

Crockpot recipes, anyone?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - March 13th, 2015, 3:32 pm
    Post #121 - March 13th, 2015, 3:32 pm Post #121 - March 13th, 2015, 3:32 pm
    I've made this slow cooker spinach lasagna several times to rave reviews, even young children. It calls for a particular Lipton soup mix, but you can just spice it up yourself with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, etc. The recipe is found here.

I make the lasagna in a 7 quart oval cooker and it is very tall and feeds a lot of people.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #122 - March 13th, 2015, 8:40 pm
    Post #122 - March 13th, 2015, 8:40 pm Post #122 - March 13th, 2015, 8:40 pm
    this looks really good. am going to try this recipe. thank you.
  • Post #123 - March 17th, 2015, 7:37 am
    Post #123 - March 17th, 2015, 7:37 am Post #123 - March 17th, 2015, 7:37 am
    The number one recipe I see on the internet for crock pot is the Mississippi Pot Roast. People rave about it. I have not tried it yet but I've done a fair amount of cooking in crock pots and most things have turned out well. I don't know why its called Mississippi, probably originated there. Looks like you could shred and serve on buns as well. Not for purists it contains some store bought ingredients.

Mississippi Pot Roast

Ingredients
    •3 lb. chuck roast
    •1 packet Ranch salad dressing mix; not the dip mix
    •1 packet Mc Cormick Au Jus mix (with no MSG)
    •1 stick butter
    •6-8 jarred pepperoncini peppers; pull stems off
    •1-2 Tbsp. of the pepperoncini juice
    •Vegetables of your choice: 1 cup mushrooms, halved or quartered and 3-4 carrots, sliced in large pieces (or many baby carrots)

Instructions
    1.Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle ranch packet and au jus packet over roast. Place the stick of butter on top of roast. Add the pepperoncinis to the slow cooker and pour the pepperoncini juice over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Halfway through cook time, turn the roast over. With about 2-3 hours left in cook time, add the mushrooms and carrots (or whatever vegetables you choose) to the slow cooker. Check your roast as slow cooker heat can vary. Slice or shred and serve over mashed potatoes or noodles with some of the gravy.!
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #124 - March 20th, 2015, 12:36 pm
    Post #124 - March 20th, 2015, 12:36 pm Post #124 - March 20th, 2015, 12:36 pm
    toria wrote:The number one recipe I see on the internet for crock pot is the Mississippi Pot Roast.
    somewhat similar to a crock pot shredded beef dish that I've made on many different occasions, I really enjoy it and based on how much is leftover, nothing, so do most others. The few times there has been leftovers, I've used at breakfast the next day over scrambled eggs w/tortillas, delicious.

Ingredients:

5lbs of beef preferably bottom round (top round can be used but bottom is a much better cut of meat for this type of prep)
    1 16oz bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
    ½ 20oz bottle of diced pepperoncini peppers (not the liquid, only the peppers)
    2 1oz packets of McCormick’s brown gravy

Prep:
    Mix dressing & gravy packets together, add diced pepperoncini, stir, then add beef. No need to brown meat prior to placing in crock pot.

Slow cook for 6-8 hours until meat is fork tender & can be shred.

Recipe is better cooked off the day before, then reheated for serving, this seems to give the flavors more time to meld.

Serve on buns, I usually bring in cheese (both provolone & pepperjack) & hot giardiniera mix to add to the sandwiches.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #125 - March 21st, 2015, 10:49 am
    Post #125 - March 21st, 2015, 10:49 am Post #125 - March 21st, 2015, 10:49 am
    Supposedly you can slice or shred the Mississippi Pot roast too. Either serve on buns or with noodles or mashed potatoes.

Good all!
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #126 - August 3rd, 2016, 5:19 pm
    Post #126 - August 3rd, 2016, 5:19 pm Post #126 - August 3rd, 2016, 5:19 pm
    i know it's not the season, but i just scored an all-clad slow cooker at marshalls and this working mama needs dinner time relief. does anyone particularly recommend cookbooks or blogs, or have favorite recipes to share? (I've read this thread and am grateful! just looking for any recent wisdom)
  • Post #127 - August 5th, 2016, 11:05 am
    Post #127 - August 5th, 2016, 11:05 am Post #127 - August 5th, 2016, 11:05 am
    I saw that Mississippi roast recipe when it came out in the NYT and Im not a huge fan of adding bottled dressings or powered onion soup packets to my slow cooker, you can almost always get better flavor with minimally processed ingredients like carrots, celery, onions, garlic, broth, beer, wine, dry spices, etc.

I've had a lot of luck with the many slow cooker recipes in the Rick Bayless Everyday Mexican cookbook. And also most of his taco sauce packets sold in grocery stores have a slow cooker option (yes its a sauce packet but a Bayless one!).

Two key things Ive learned for cooking large hunks of meat in a slow cooker: go easy on the amount of liquid you add, you want it to braise over a little bit of liquid, not boil in alot of liquid. Secondly, sear the meat in a skillet to get a good brown crust on it before you put it in the crock pot.
  • Post #128 - August 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm
    Post #128 - August 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm Post #128 - August 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm
    annak wrote: does anyone particularly recommend cookbooks or blogs, or have favorite recipes to share?

https://www.reddit.com/r/slowcooking/

This should keep ya going for a while.
  • Post #129 - March 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm
    Post #129 - March 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm Post #129 - March 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm
    Hi,

I don't have a Crockpot nor have any interest in a InstantPot.

I found a 2.5 pound ham in the freezer, which seems just about right. Some ham without having to eat a whole lot of ham. A few weeks ago, I cooked a 13-pound ham, which took three people at least a week to finish.

I saw a crockpot recipe where the bottom layer was crushed pineapple, then a small ham covered in brown sugar with cinnamon and ground clove mixed in. The only can of pineapple were rings, which I might want to use for something else.

I have plenty of cranberry sauce, so I put this in the bottom of a deep pot. I rubbed the ham with cheap mustard (recipe called for honey, but I knew mustard works well from Gwiv's five-step) and patted on the brown sugar.

Low setting on a crockpot is 200 degrees, which I set the oven to and deposited the pot inside. It was pulled when the ham reached 145 degrees about three hours later.

There is enough ham for the next day or so. Maybe ham and biscuits for breakfast tomorrow or mince ham stirred into potato salad or make some ham salad.
    IMG_0122.JPG Ham with cranberry sauce - Crockpot style
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more