The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 6
  • Post #61 - July 29th, 2017, 8:24 am
    Post #61 - July 29th, 2017, 8:24 am Post #61 - July 29th, 2017, 8:24 am
    Nancy,

Great to see you back in the trenches.

This season has been repeated now at least three times. There is not much to say about it. It doesn't mean I don't watch it when I can, I just don't have anything new to say.

I do like catching the master classes to see Paul and Mary do their magic and perhaps pick up a tip.

Do you really think the American episodes are filmed in the UK? The sets look very similar, but they are not exact. My feeling they were in the USA in a similar setting with no barnyard animals in sight. I just read, there are 22 productions of Great (fill in the country) Baking Shows.

The second American season last year was far better than the first. The first season had people whose baking skills were not up to parr. The second season was far more interesting, because everyone had stronger baking skills.

Again, I am glad to see you are back.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #62 - July 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm
    Post #62 - July 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm Post #62 - July 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm
    Hi- Yes the second season of the Great American Baking Show was much better. I did not realize that the season that they are currently running for the Great British Baking Show has been shown before. I think I read a few weeks ago, that there are a few seasons that PBS has not shown yet?

I read on chowhound back when the second season of the Great American Baking Show was running that the show was being filmed in Great Britain because Mary won't get on an airplane. I will have to dig some more. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #63 - July 29th, 2017, 2:56 pm
    Post #63 - July 29th, 2017, 2:56 pm Post #63 - July 29th, 2017, 2:56 pm
    NFriday wrote:I read on chowhound back when the second season of the Great American Baking Show was running that the show was being filmed in Great Britain because Mary won't get on an airplane. I will have to dig some more. Thanks, Nancy

Hi,

I dug around this morning after reading your post. It is not easy and likely by design, they want the illusion it was filmed in the UK. That doesn't mean you may not be right.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #64 - July 29th, 2017, 3:25 pm
    Post #64 - July 29th, 2017, 3:25 pm Post #64 - July 29th, 2017, 3:25 pm
    Hi- Cathy Are you sure that the season they are broadcasting now is a rerun? I just checked the PBS site, and the season they are broadcasting now is season 4 on PBS, which means it is I believe season 7 of the series. I knew that none of the contestants looked familiar. Apparently so far they have showed season 4, 5, and 6 and they are currently showing season 7 on PBS. They are going to air two more seasons too that have previously not been aired on PBS.

I also did some digging, and the Great British Baking Show has been filmed in four different locations in Great Britain. Seasons 5 through 7 were filmed in the same location, which was also the filming location for the Great American Baking Show.

Apparently the new version of the Great British Bakeoff with Paul Hollywood has been filmed, and will be broadcast sometime this fall. It sounds like they have modernized the show some, and it is absent the stick jokes that the old hosts used to do. Without Mary I bet it will bomb. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #65 - August 11th, 2017, 12:24 pm
    Post #65 - August 11th, 2017, 12:24 pm Post #65 - August 11th, 2017, 12:24 pm
    Americans, “The Great British Baking Show” as you have known it is coming to an end. The season finale was broadcast in some markets last week on PBS, which has aired only the four most recent of its seven seasons. The broadcaster said it would air one of the three earliest seasons of the show — which is called “The Great British Baking Show” in the United States and “The Great British Bake Off” everywhere else — but after that, things will be different.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/arts ... hingPortal®ion=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=4&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F08%2F11%2Farts%2Ftelevision%2Fbritish-baking-show.html&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #66 - August 14th, 2017, 11:31 am
    Post #66 - August 14th, 2017, 11:31 am Post #66 - August 14th, 2017, 11:31 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    NFriday wrote:I read on chowhound back when the second season of the Great American Baking Show was running that the show was being filmed in Great Britain because Mary won't get on an airplane. I will have to dig some more. Thanks, Nancy

Hi,

I dug around this morning after reading your post. It is not easy and likely by design, they want the illusion it was filmed in the UK. That doesn't mean you may not be right.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I submitted an application to be on the show and had a phone interview. The American show is filmed in England and it takes approximately 6 weeks. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off to research and then 2 weeks on again. I wasn't chosen :( but I was asked if I had a current passport and could be in England for 6 weeks!
  • Post #67 - August 17th, 2017, 10:15 am
    Post #67 - August 17th, 2017, 10:15 am Post #67 - August 17th, 2017, 10:15 am
    Diane wrote:I submitted an application to be on the show and had a phone interview. The American show is filmed in England and it takes approximately 6 weeks. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off to research and then 2 weeks on again. I wasn't chosen :( but I was asked if I had a current passport and could be in England for 6 weeks!

How did they gauge your culinary skills? I'm really curious how it could be conveyed in an application and phone interview.

This is quite exciting you even gave it a shot! Good going!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #68 - September 7th, 2017, 11:00 am
    Post #68 - September 7th, 2017, 11:00 am Post #68 - September 7th, 2017, 11:00 am
    Netflix has the 1st three seasons.

I am on the season 3 finale now. Even though I know who the winner is I just love these contestants, judges, and MCs. And it took nothing away from this show that I already knew the winner.

Are the remaining seasons available to stream?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #69 - September 7th, 2017, 12:14 pm
    Post #69 - September 7th, 2017, 12:14 pm Post #69 - September 7th, 2017, 12:14 pm
    Hi- I just looked on the PBS website, and yes you can view any of the episodes from the four seasons that have been shown on PBS, but unfortunately you can only view them if you are a member of PBS. You can only view them through their passport program, and you can only sign up for their passport program if you are a member. Maybe some of the public libraries have some of the DVD's of the show that you can check out? I am sure you can also view them through Amazon, and maybe for free if you have Amazon Prime? Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #70 - September 8th, 2017, 11:42 am
    Post #70 - September 8th, 2017, 11:42 am Post #70 - September 8th, 2017, 11:42 am
    My library has seasons 1-4 available on DVD through interlibrary loan.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #71 - September 8th, 2017, 12:24 pm
    Post #71 - September 8th, 2017, 12:24 pm Post #71 - September 8th, 2017, 12:24 pm
    On a slightly different note, I had my recorder set to record every episode of the recently broadcast season. It reliably recorded everything except the final episode! So I know who the finalists are, but no idea whatsoever what happened. I think the odds are astronomical that my TV screwed up and missed the finale, but just to make sure: they DID broadcast it, didn't they?

And no, don't tell me who. I prefer to speculate.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #72 - September 8th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #72 - September 8th, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #72 - September 8th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Yes they did broadcast the final episode. You might be able to watch it on PBS. When I checked on PBS a few days ago, you had to be a member of the station and have a passport account to see all of the shows, but I believe you could see the final show for free. Season 4 is also available on DVD at some public libraries, but unfortunately not Evanston. Evanston does not have any of the seasons on DVD. They do have it at the Wilmette library, but it is currently checked out.
  • Post #73 - September 8th, 2017, 8:00 pm
    Post #73 - September 8th, 2017, 8:00 pm Post #73 - September 8th, 2017, 8:00 pm
    Nancy, if your library doesn't have it, they can easily get it from another library in the area through interlibrary loan. My library's website has an option for searching other libraries' collections; yours should too. If you're in the library instead, a librarian can do the interlibrary search for you. It just takes a couple of days to get something through interlibrary loan, and your library can send you an email when it is ready for pickup.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #74 - September 8th, 2017, 9:31 pm
    Post #74 - September 8th, 2017, 9:31 pm Post #74 - September 8th, 2017, 9:31 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:On a slightly different note, I had my recorder set to record every episode of the recently broadcast season. It reliably recorded everything except the final episode! So I know who the finalists are, but no idea whatsoever what happened. I think the odds are astronomical that my TV screwed up and missed the finale, but just to make sure: they DID broadcast it, didn't they?

And no, don't tell me who. I prefer to speculate.

Have you checked on demand on Comcast? They've got most of the PBS series available all the time. DirecTV, too.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #75 - September 9th, 2017, 6:07 am
    Post #75 - September 9th, 2017, 6:07 am Post #75 - September 9th, 2017, 6:07 am
    Thanks, all, for the suggestions. We live in Evanston and I knew our library didn't have it, but it didn't occur to me--doh--to get it from elsewhere. Good suggestions all. Looking forward to seeing it soon!
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #76 - September 9th, 2017, 9:21 am
    Post #76 - September 9th, 2017, 9:21 am Post #76 - September 9th, 2017, 9:21 am
    I finished that season.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I was already crying and then darn it all Mary Berry's voice cracks as she holds back tears of sheer joy. I so, so love this show.

The helpful spirit of the contestants who are competing against each other and still always looking out for each other. It is just a joy to watch humanity working!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #77 - September 9th, 2017, 1:30 pm
    Post #77 - September 9th, 2017, 1:30 pm Post #77 - September 9th, 2017, 1:30 pm
    I just checked, and season 4 is checked out at all of the North suburban libraries that have it. I used to have comcast until they jacked up my bill from $29.95 to $80. I loved the on demand, but I noticed that PBS shows in general were only on for a few weeks on demand before they took them off. It is the same with their website. I think they want you to buy the DVD, or become a member. If you are a member you can watch a lot of their shows online.

This show is also one of my favorite cooking competition shows. I like the fact that the other contestants are sad when somebody has to leave, and are willing to help one another. Mary Barry has another cooking competition starting on the BBC, but it is not going to be a baking one. I suspect the BBC was not allowed to do a show with Mary similar to the Great British Baking Show. The show she is doing, I believe she visits individual contestants homes, and watches them cook. One of the former winners of the GBBS, is going to be the host for that show
  • Post #78 - December 13th, 2017, 10:24 pm
    Post #78 - December 13th, 2017, 10:24 pm Post #78 - December 13th, 2017, 10:24 pm
    Hi,

I just started watching season four via Netflix (or Amazon?). It is one I have not seen any of the contestants.

These episodes were shown in the UK beginning in June. I guess this will be shown this winter over PBS.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #79 - December 14th, 2017, 11:47 am
    Post #79 - December 14th, 2017, 11:47 am Post #79 - December 14th, 2017, 11:47 am
    Cathy- What I suspect you are watching is episodes from season 4 on PBS, which was shown on PBS this last summer. Season 4 on PBS is actually the same as season 7 on the BBC, which is the last season there. There are 3 earlier seasons which PBS has not shown yet, and I think I heard they are planning on showing two of those seasons. The link you gave was definitely for the season that was just aired this summer on PBS. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #80 - December 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm
    Post #80 - December 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm Post #80 - December 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm
    Hi,

I was simply glad to see new faces and competitions, they keep repeating the earlier seasons. They remain interesting, but repetition does bore when you know the outcomes.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #81 - December 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm
    Post #81 - December 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm Post #81 - December 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I just started watching season four via Netflix (or Amazon?). It is one I have not seen any of the contestants.

These episodes were shown in the UK beginning in June. I guess this will be shown this winter over PBS.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I really like Berry & Hollywood's chemistry on the Masterclass edition. I think there are two season on Netflix.

• Post #82 - December 15th, 2017, 4:42 pm
    Post #82 - December 15th, 2017, 4:42 pm Post #82 - December 15th, 2017, 4:42 pm
    Agreed, the master classes are terrific. I look forward to more, though I will miss Mary Berry.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #83 - December 15th, 2017, 5:01 pm
    Post #83 - December 15th, 2017, 5:01 pm Post #83 - December 15th, 2017, 5:01 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Regards,
    Cathy2

I really like Berry & Hollywood's chemistry on the Masterclass edition. I think there are two seasons on Netflix.

• Post #84 - December 15th, 2017, 7:19 pm
    Post #84 - December 15th, 2017, 7:19 pm Post #84 - December 15th, 2017, 7:19 pm
    They had a masterclass on last night at 8:00. For those people who have comcast, you might be able to see it on demand. It was all about things that Mary and Paul bake at Christmas time. There was a Christmas cake that Mary made last night. Paul asked her when she started baking it, and she said in 1966, the year she got married. Paul replied that he was born in 1966.

I haven't checked, but I bet they are rebroadcasting it a few times this week if you check their website. I have some sort of bug right now, and so I think it is time for me to get off here. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #85 - December 15th, 2017, 11:22 pm
    Post #85 - December 15th, 2017, 11:22 pm Post #85 - December 15th, 2017, 11:22 pm
    I just looked it up, and WTTW is rebroadcasting the Christmas masterclass tomorrow at 11:00am and 11:00pm on WTTW HD. They are showing Christmas masterclass #2 on `12/23 at 11:00 am.
  • Post #86 - January 13th, 2018, 6:14 pm
    Post #86 - January 13th, 2018, 6:14 pm Post #86 - January 13th, 2018, 6:14 pm
    Very late to this party! But just started watching recently, and am curious: has anyone here tried any of Mary Berry's cookbooks? There seem to be several on Amazon; wondering how they are.
  • Post #87 - January 13th, 2018, 7:11 pm
    Post #87 - January 13th, 2018, 7:11 pm Post #87 - January 13th, 2018, 7:11 pm
    I think Mary has written over 30 cookbooks, and she has done quite a few tv shows. I think her latest show on BBC consists of her going into people's homes and judging their cooking.

I saw one of her latest books at the Book Stall in downtown Winnetka a few months ago, and spent a few minutes looking through it. It had a fair amount of recipes for baked goods, but it also had lots of other recipes for main dishes that she particularly enjoyed. It was okay, but I would not buy it, but I am not her target audience. I've baked one pie in the last year. It was an apple sour cream pie that my mother used to bake that I made the day after Christmas, and ended up eating the whole pie myself in three days. One of my sisters had already gone back to New Orleans earlier that day, and my other sister and her husband decided that they would rather finish the pumpkin pie she fixed, and so the rest of the pie got sent home with me. It was good though. I am more into bread and muffins than cookies, pies and cakes.

Paul Hollywood has a new book out about breads that has gotten some good reviews, but I have not had a chance to look at his book yet. The one book of Mary's that I looked at recently had a lot of comfort food recipes if you are into that. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #88 - January 13th, 2018, 7:37 pm
    Post #88 - January 13th, 2018, 7:37 pm Post #88 - January 13th, 2018, 7:37 pm
    Wow- I just went to Amazon to see how many books by Mary Berry they had. It came up with 81, although at least two of the books were not written by Mary. For some reason Much Ado about Nothing came up. She came out with a book on French cooking in 1971. Her latest book is a book of housekeeping tips. The book came out in October. It only has two reviews, and when I read the reviews, I found out that both people loved Mary and the book, but hated the kindle edition, and that is why it only got three stars. All of her cookbooks seem to get very good reviews though, and apparently the cookbooks that she does are converted to American measurements for the American audience.
  • Post #89 - February 19th, 2018, 11:55 pm
    Post #89 - February 19th, 2018, 11:55 pm Post #89 - February 19th, 2018, 11:55 pm
    Hi- A few weeks ago I watched the tail end of the Great British Baking Show. This was on a Saturday at maybe 6:00. Does anybody know if this is the beginning of a new season? It looked like there were 12 contestants on the show that night, and so it must have been the first week of whatever season it was. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #90 - February 20th, 2018, 8:43 am
    Post #90 - February 20th, 2018, 8:43 am Post #90 - February 20th, 2018, 8:43 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- A few weeks ago I watched the tail end of the Great British Baking Show. This was on a Saturday at maybe 6:00. Does anybody know if this is the beginning of a new season? It looked like there were 12 contestants on the show that night, and so it must have been the first week of whatever season it was. Thanks, Nancy

On what channel? I have my dvr set for new episodes, so I don't *think* it was a new one, unless there was a glitch with my dvr.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more