• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 7th, 2018, 3:47 pm
    Post #61 - March 7th, 2018, 3:47 pm Post #61 - March 7th, 2018, 3:47 pm
    BR wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:
    AlekH wrote:looks incredible

I would definitely make it again.

I'm hardly impressed anymore . . . you've just spoiled me so . . . everything you make is gorgeous! Even so, still waiting for my piece.

:D :D :D
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #62 - March 7th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    Post #62 - March 7th, 2018, 3:48 pm Post #62 - March 7th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:I would definitely make it again.
    Stunning cake, simply stunning!

Thanks. I think you would like it a lot.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #63 - March 7th, 2018, 3:49 pm
    Post #63 - March 7th, 2018, 3:49 pm Post #63 - March 7th, 2018, 3:49 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

This cake reminds me of one on the Great British Baking Show. Of course their cake had a cute wrinkle: alternating layers were darker and lighter. Of course, the contestants often messed up on how much batter was needed to make the correct number of layers.

This is where a gram digital scale comes in very handy to dole out the batter.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Bingo. There were lots of comments on the recipe so I am surprised over all of these years that 1) they never weighed the batter or 2) no one else ever suggested doing just that.

Thanks for the reminder I will add that to the comments on the NY Times site if I can.

Oh and Cathy2, Was the cake from GBBO the Schichttorte? http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/schichttorte/

Okay I watched the segment. I want to give it a go!

• Post #64 - November 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm
    Post #64 - November 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm Post #64 - November 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm
    I like cake. I am a big fan of good poundcake.

The NY Times just dropped this sweet video on poundcake tied to history of place.

I may add it to my dessert table this season.

"My Father was Otis Lee."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06O84OvaCE

• Post #65 - January 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm
    Post #65 - January 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm Post #65 - January 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm
    I'm belatedly admiring pairs4life's gorgeous layer cake....

While not a traditional birthday cake, the basque cake from MFK is mind-blowing-ly delicious. I cannot think of another cake I enjoy as much (though the chocolate peanut butter torte from Bittersweet pastry is up there). It has become the birthday cake of choice for the adults in our house.
    It's not what I would expect from the descriptor "Made with Butter Cake, Rum Pastry Cream & Almonds" as I don't really detect a rum flavor and the cream seems to blend into the cake, which has a lovely, dense texture.
    You can order a whole cake with 48 hours notice. While not inexpensive, it's pretty rich so a little goes a long way. Also, it freezes well and finding 2 pieces vacuum sealed in a food saver bag in the depths of your freezer is a great treat!

MFK's savory food is delicious, too (though we have not tried their new post-holiday menu).

mfk
    432 w diversey pkwy chicago
    info@mfkrestaurant.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events